Florida Governor bans vaccine passports

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/03/us/florida-covid-vaccine-passport-ban/index.html

In my opinion, bad move and will have complete opposite effect to restarting cruises

As a cruise passenger who is getting the vaccine, I would never go on a cruise if I knew there were passengers on board that don’t have the vaccine. And I think there are many like me which tells me that cruises will have trouble filling ships.

Thoughts ?

• Like 15

While I don’t think a state or National government should mandate a vaccine, a cruise line is a business.  I feel a business should be able to mandate it especially a cruise line.  If you don’t like the mandate you simply don’t give them your business.

No one should be forced to take a vaccine. 

I would be much more ready to cruise however if there is a mandate on the cruise line.  I don’t want to get quarantined on a ship somewhere because someone chose to go who wasn’t vaccinated.   Until covid is pretty much gone ( is that a thing?) I don’t think the cruise lines should take the risk of having a sick, quarantined ship.  It just isn’t fair to the business to deal with all the ramifications of that if they don’t want to.  The ports of call don’t want to deal with covid coming to them off a cruise ship either.  

Cruise lines shouldn’t be punished because they want their business to get back to semi normal.  It’s a very unique business where a lot of people are in very close quarters for a longer period of time then a hotel or other business.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

In my opinion, bad move and will have complete opposite effect to restarting cruises

As a cruise passenger who is getting the vaccine, I would never go on a cruise if I knew there were passengers on board that don’t have the vaccine. And I think there are many like me which tells me that cruises will have trouble filling ships.

Thoughts ?

From they way I read the information, no person shall be required to provide proof of vaccine, but IMO a private business can say ok we understand that, but we still are not allowing passengers to board without proof.  Unfortunately, you will not be able to board one of our ships.  Not a lawyer so I do not know this with certainty, but private businesses do get to make their rules and policies.

• Like 3

I agree as well, we would like to see cruises with only vaccinated people on board.

The question I have is how will this be accomplished? Apart from getting an easily copied/forged piece of paper after vaccination, how will "they" actually confirm someone has been vaccinated?

• Like 2

We have a NCL cruise booked for 12/21 and a X booked for 2/22. If the cruise lines don’t require proof of vaccines we’ll cancel. Why would we go through the past year of Covid protocols to get wrapped up in a Covid outbreak on a ship thousands of miles from home? We’ll be vaccinated and protected but if any of the anti-vaccer’s on board test positive the vacation everyone has been planning and looking forward to for the past year will be over. Then you can look forward to a quarantine, early disembarkation, looking for hotels, flights etc. Not to mention the financial loss.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Hawk15 said:

We have a NCL cruise booked for 12/21 and a X booked for 2/22. If the cruise lines don’t require proof of vaccines we’ll cancel. Why would we go through the past year of Covid protocols to get wrapped up in a Covid outbreak on a ship thousands of miles from home? We’ll be vaccinated and protected but if any of the anti-vaccer’s on board test positive the vacation everyone has been planning and looking forward to for the past year will be over. Then you can look forward to a quarantine, early disembarkation, looking for hotels, flights etc. Not to mention the financial loss.

Well, that's what I was going to say. For any cruise with hundreds of passengers, I think it's nearly certain that someone onboard will not be vaccinated. Some might be anti-vax, but some cannot be vaccinated for various reasons. Hawk15 said it better than I would have. It will happen. What will probably not happen are large outbreaks since many will be vaccinated. The question I have is how many positive tests will be required to turn the ship around? Some of this is coming into focus now but could change further before we step foot on a ship.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hawk15 said:

Exactly. We've got one of the Millie cruises booked out of St Maarten in June BECAUSE it's all vaccinated pax. We are already poised to cancel our Dec. Oceania cruise out of Miami if this goes through. That state will not get a penny of ours--and we usually go a couple days early, etc., to play and eat. Nope, nope, nope. We'll cancel our separate vacay air bnbs, too.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, sofietucker said:

Exactly. We've got one of the Millie cruises booked out of St Maarten in June BECAUSE it's all vaccinated pax. We are already poised to cancel our Dec. Oceania cruise out of Miami if this goes through. That state will not get a penny of ours--and we usually go a couple days early, etc., to play and eat. Nope, nope, nope. We'll cancel our separate vacay air bnbs, too.

With so many of the embarkation ports based from FL, I would think a large number of cruisers live there.  Those who love to cruise, and either choose to not get a vaccine (not judgmental, we all have this choice) , or not want to show their proof, seems to me will be most effected.  I don't really know how I feel about a database, but I do believe, cruisers should provide proof of having had the vaccine.  Cruise lines are saying this now, hope it is followed up on.

• Like 2

I agree with those who would be comfortable being on a cruise only when there is a vaccination requirement. 

This is a global pandemic that has to be fought in a comprehensive and uniform manner.  I know it's legally complicated but I don't see the sense in allowing each state (and even county or municipality) to adopt their own regulations.  Borders mean nothing to Covid-19.  Furthermore, while individual rights and freedoms are worthy of respect, the fact is that our decisions affect others.  While Person A seeks the "right" to decide for themselves whether they are worried about contracting the virus and to act accordingly, Person A's refusal to get vaccinated, wear a mask, socially distance, or engage in any other precautions presents a potential danger to person B.   Of course, Person A is likely to say to Person B, "if you are so afraid, stay home and don't cruise".   However, wouldn't Person B equally be justified to retort "if you are afraid of the vaccine or just don't want to take other precautions, stay home and don't cruise"?

I certainly don't pretend to have the answers to how to manage the pandemic or what should be done about cruising.  It's way above my pay grade.  I am all for getting our businesses open and am as eager to get back on a ship as anyone.   However, I just don't see how we'll ever get past this thing until we find a way to fight this disease in unison rather than focusing on our individual "rights" and preferences. And that means doing everything in our arsenal...masks, distancing, vaccines, etc.  What is the point in "opening" up in a reckless manner that is destined to require a subsequent shut down?

Edited by Bluewake
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I do not believe we should have a Federal mandated vaccine visa. You can obtain proof of vaccination at the time of injection. A private company may require you to prove vaccination (i.e. a cruise line). What if a person has an allergy, a health condition or a religious conviction that will not allow them to receive a vaccination. Do you then ban them from travel....the Chinese Communist Party does this now. In China, the government wants to know where you travel. I do not like being potentially placed in a government or big tech data base about my travels.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, baldilocks said:

I do not believe we should have a Federal mandated vaccine visa. You can obtain proof of vaccination at the time of injection. A private company may require you to prove vaccination (i.e. a cruise line). What if a person has an allergy, a health condition or a religious conviction that will not allow them to receive a vaccination. Do you then ban them from travel....the Chinese Communist Party does this now. In China, the government wants to know where you travel. I do not like being potentially placed in a government or big tech data base about my travels.

we need or at least in some states, a photo ID to vote, what is the harm is proving we have been vaccinated to board a cruise ship?  If the person has an allergy, or religious reason that is their right to not be vaccinated, but private business also have their rights to protect their customers as they see best fit for their business interests.  I do not see this posting as a discussion on what China decides to do in their country.  Those not wanting a vaccine, can find places to go which will not require proof of vaccination.  

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, baldilocks said:

I think you're taking this a little too far.  I agree with the health situation only so there may be another way set up for them.  But Chinese govt restrictions in the US??  BTW.. there was a survey taken this AM on this question....out of almost 30,000 votes, 97% were in favour of a vaccination passport.

• Like 8

44 minutes ago, Bluewake said:

I agree with those who would be comfortable being on a cruise only when there is a vaccination requirement. 

This is a global pandemic that has to be fought in a comprehensive and uniform manner.  I know it's legally complicated but I don't see the sense in allowing each state (and even county or municipality) to adopt their own regulations.  Borders mean nothing to Covid-19.  Furthermore, while individual rights and freedoms are worthy of respect, the fact is that our decisions affect others.  While Person A seeks the "right" to decide for themselves whether they are worried about contracting the virus and to act accordingly, Person A's refusal to get vaccinated, wear a mask, socially distance, or engage in any other precautions presents a potential danger to person B.   Of course, Person A is likely to say to Person B, "if you are so afraid, stay home and don't cruise".   However, wouldn't Person B equally be justified to retort "if you are afraid of the vaccine or just don't want to take other precautions, stay home and don't cruise"?

I certainly don't pretend to have the answers to how to manage the pandemic or what should be done about cruising.  It's way above my pay grade.  I am all for getting our businesses open and am as eager to get back on a ship as anyone.   However, I just don't see how we'll ever get past this thing until we find a way to fight this disease in unison rather than focusing on our individual "rights" and preferences. And that means doing everything in our arsenal...masks, distancing, vaccines, etc.  What is the point in "opening" up in a reckless manner that is destined to require a subsequent shut down?

There are some insurance companies who will not pay those who travel during this pandemic unless you purchase a rider to cover all health events.  If it's someone's choice (or right) to avoid following any of a country's rules or prohibitions, would you be the neighbour who would report them if it infringed on your right?  I don't understand this 'rights' aspect of what we do in our daily lives.  RESPECT for others means a lot more to me and if that means following in line to protect, then so be it.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, baldilocks said:

Here's the problem - it is easy to state that the state won't provide a vaccine "passport" to citizens and that businesses shouldn't require evidence of vaccination.

But that is limited to the state. Many nations are requiring proof of vaccination in order to visit. Cruises will almost certainly require proof of vaccination to sail. Many of the cruise lines and nations of the world have stated flat-out that they don't care if someone has a medical or religious reason to not be vaccinated - no vaccine, no dice, period end.

i could completely agree with such a thing perhaps being optional to have, but he should do everything he can to provide said things to citizens of Florida so they can travel to places that don't really care what the governor of the state thinks (or if they lose the flimsy card given at time of vaccination).

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, hcat said:

Cruiseline  ( like stores) can request what it wants for cruisers..shots, tests, masks. Folks can meet this requirement or not cruise.

The way that the executive order is worded, however, forbids local agencies to provide any such "passport or pass" to anyone for purposes of using it to gain entrance to a place with a mask mandate.

Let's suppose the cruise lines determine that the vaunted "vaccination card" is too easily duplicated and requires instead some type of electronic passport or proof.

What are Florida citizens (who make up a large percentage of Florida cruisers) to do then??

• Like 2

I say let the free market decide.

Some people will not take the vaccines for religious reasons. Some people will not take the vaccines for political reasons. Some people will not take the vaccines for medical reasons. Some people will not take the vaccines for superfluous reasons. Let them have a cruise to enjoy.

Some cruise lines will require the vaccine. Some cruise lines will not. Some people will want the cruises where the vaccine is required and some will not.

Since I and my wife have both taken the vaccine, I would be happy with either. However, I will probably go with Celebrity, whichever way they go because they are my favorite line. 🙂

• Like 2

The Governor has also said that companies can't require proof of vaccines. This is the exact opposite of what the cruise lines are planning, and a CDC requirement for cruises to start. I guess that leaves the Florida ports out of the picture.

• Like 2

Question for the armchair  legal  experts- if your federal government (CBD?) required a vaccine passport or certificate for entry into the country, wouldn't that supercede any governor issued edict in Florida, as far as cruising goes?

• Like 2

Since Gov DeSantis wants cruising to resume, I bet he finds a way to walk back the provisions of the order with respect to cruising.  The way I read it, the order is only in force a long as the vaccine is under emergency use authorization.

Time will tell if we Floridians will be able to obtain digital proof of vaccination in the future.

8 hours ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

Thoughts ?

I agree.  The best way for cruise lines to start working toward normalcy is to demonstrate they can safely transport passengers and crew members.  Their best chance of doing this is to start by requiring vaccination.  In time, restrictions can be eased.  If they move too quickly without appropriate precautions, and find it necessary to interrupt sailings or quarantine thousands on multiple ships again - it would be devastating for the industry.  

6 hours ago, baldilocks said:

I do not like being potentially placed in a government or big tech data base about my travels.

This is unavoidable - before and after covid19.  It's impossible to cruise off the grid on a major cruise line. 

6 hours ago, hcat said:

Cruiseline  ( like stores) can request what it wants for cruisers..shots, tests, masks. Folks can meet this requirement or not cruise.

I agree - and this is as it should be.    

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Celebrity, and other cruise lines, could work around this by having the customer (us) enter their vaccine details on-line when entering their passport info etc. 

This would give Celebrity time to check any suspicious vaccine entries before sailings and give the option (ports willing) of putting a little verified V on our cruise card for port visits.

(Heck they could even send us a little Celebrity vaccine card along with our luggage tags. ☺️)

Of course this doesn't address the problem of staying in a country pre or post cruise or any other travel outside the USA.

Cheers, h.

Edited by middlehaitch
  • Like 1

In my opinion this epidemic will not end until people wear a mask in public areas and in groups and get vaccinated like the medical experts say you should do.

We will not cruise unless they make cruisers and staff get vaccinated.

Governor of Florida needs to get the numbers in his state down.

• Like 4

I think there are many in denial that Covid will someday just disappear and life as we knew it will reappear.  If you believe that, you’re living in a fantasy world 

I think it’ll stay with us for at least into 2022 and mask wearing and social distancing , along with getting everyone vaccinated, will become the norm for at least another year (maybe longer)

There are some countries (like Japan) where mask wearing is normal for people that don’t feel well and are out in public (people care about others and not wanting to spread their germs and possibly infect others).  What a concept !!

Edited by Luckiestmanonearth
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1