Eurodam makes the start with 7-night cruises out of Piraeus, Athens this summer!

25 minutes ago, ChinaShrek said:

Yeah, I am scheduled on the August 1 cruise out of Amsterdam. Final payment is May 4. I hope we sail but I have doubts about the Netherlands allowing it.

I had the presence of mind to save the Covid cancellation policy back in the fall.  Depending on when you booked you might be covered.   Briefly here are the highlights 

Holland America Line has temporarily adjusted our cancellation policy to make it easier for you to cancel or change plans.
Book any cruise that departs through October 31, 2021—you must book by January 31, 2021—and you can cancel for any reason up to 30 days before departure and automatically receive a Future Cruise Credit in the amount of non-refundable fees collected by Holland America Line (the remainder will be refunded to you). You can use the Future Cruise Credit when you're ready to book your next cruise vacation.

42 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

You can use the Future Cruise Credit when you're ready to book your next cruise vacation.

I’m wondering whether you can use one of these FCC’s as part of your remaining payment for a previously booked cruise or only use it when you “book your next (new) cruise?”

On 4/8/2021 at 12:30 PM, cruisemom42 said:

Out of curiosity, why not?

On 4/8/2021 at 4:32 PM, cruisemom42 said:

My problem is that I have no real interest in New World destinations. Just want to get back to Europe.

Answering the first post on this thread, our interests differ.

Italy, Malta, Australia, New Zealand, China, Viet Nam, Singapore, Norway, Indonesia, India, Chile, Alaska, maritime Canada, Netherlands, Estonia, Antarctica, Bora Bora:  all of these, in no particular order are places that I would enjoy another visit.  There are others that I am sure that I am forgetting.

Greece?  My sole opportunity to visit was at Santorini.  Could not go ashore due to an injury that I had suffered in Egypt.  The island looked lovely; mountainous.  

I am acquainted with Greek and Roman mythology and history--more Roman than Greek.  Italy and Roman history appeals to me more than Greece's.  

On 4/7/2021 at 6:56 PM, cruisemom42 said:

If they are limited to a 7-day cruise I could easily see a NE Greece trip without Istanbul -- for example:

Piraeus -- At Sea -- Thessaloniki -- Cruising Mt. Athos/Kavala -- Volos (for Meteora)-- At Sea -- Nauplion (for Mycenae/Epidauros) -- Piraeus

I love that itinerary and was looking at Oceania and Azamara cruises visiting those ports in 2022. I'd be happy with Eurodam as a possibly less expensive way to visit those places.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I am acquainted with Greek and Roman mythology and history--more Roman than Greek.  Italy and Roman history appeals to me more than Greece's.  

Greek and Roman history and mythology is so very entertwined. Though I am (much) more interested in Roman history and sites, I could not really study those without visiting Greece as well. 

There was a saying in the ancient world (as expressed by the Roman writer Horace) that went: Graecia capta ferum victorem cepit ("Captive Greece captured her rude conqueror"). Or as has been translated elsewhere, "After Rome captured Greece, Greece captured Rome."  But really the connection goes much further back.

The Greeks and the Etruscans shared much culture and traded goods -- the Etruscans greatly admired Greek objects and more Greek vases have been found in Etruscan burials in Italy than in Greece itself. And Greek colonies in southern Italy (including Naples) also influenced Roman culture. The Romans adopted the Greek gods virtually unchanged except for their names. And almost any patrician Roman in Republican times was judged by the quality of the Greek he could speak and read.

After Rome conquered most of Greece, many sites were rebuilt to Roman plans (or old sites were re-built, such as in Athens where Hadrian sponsored the building of a new Roman forum, library, and completed the building work of the oversized temple to Olympian Zeus which had languished unfinished for a long time.  Corinth ruins, as they exist today, are largely Roman, as are the ruins on Delos.

With respect to the itinerary I proposed, Thessaloniki was one of four capitals of the Roman empire in later years and boasts the oversized mausoleum of Roman Emperor Galerius (shown below) and his arch, built to span one of the famous Roman roads, the Via Egnatia. The mosaics inside the mausoleum are original...and gorgeous.

image.png.7434fa42cfd949471f527f84c1bec36f.png 

From Thessaloniki one can also take a daytrip to visit the site where Alexander the Great was born (and the tomb of his father, Philip II of Macedonia).  Needless to say Alexander was a huge influence on many Roman generals, in particular Julius Caesar. It has been said (in antiquity) that  when Caesar read about Alexander's life, he burst into tears. ... 'Do you think,' said he, 'I have not just cause to weep, when I consider that Alexander at my age had conquered so many nations, and I have all this time done nothing that is memorable? '”

And at Kavala one can easily travel to nearby Philippi, where one can visit a site of utmost interest to those who like Roman history -- the battlefield, just outside the ruins of the Roman city, where the forces of Mark Antony and Octavian defeated those of the leaders of Julius Caesar's assassination, Brutus and Cassius in 42 BC, thus putting paid to their bid to keep the Republic functioning.

• Like 5

On 4/8/2021 at 3:50 PM, ChinaShrek said:

Yeah, I am scheduled on the August 1 cruise out of Amsterdam. Final payment is May 4. I hope we sail but I have doubts about the Netherlands allowing it.

I made the decision to go ahead and make final payment. My hotel and Air is with HAL, so if they do cancel no additional headache for me. If they do not cancel we are committed to go, we are totally vaccinated just hoping if the covid test is required to return to the US that the ship will supply that for us. We also know the likelihood of this canceling is extremely high and actually expect it.

As for final payments and penalties, HAL is back to being 90 days to final and when penalties start.

Interesting. I was able to find the link that SummerInKefalonia posted on the Princess boards and indeed you can see Eurodam listed in port in Piraeus every Friday from mid-summer through October something. 

I also notice if you go to HAL website and look at October cruises for Eurodam, you'll see an Oct 31 3-day sailing from Bahamas. Test cruise??

My thinking is that HAL will use the summer cruises from Piraeus to shake down/institute/perfect their new protocols, sail back from the Med and do their test cruise for CDC to certify them to sail in the Caribbean over the winter season....

20 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Greek and Roman history and mythology is so very entertwined. Though I am (much) more interested in Roman history and sites, I could not really study those without visiting Greece as well. 

We are sympatico.  My thinking about these two cultures may have been influenced by my 4 years of Latin that I learned in high school.  Not only did I learn the language, I learned the culture, the history.  Learning the influence Rome had in the larger world during those centuries, Rome seemed to me to be a more significant influence than Greece had during that same time.  Yet, Greece also provided so much to the history and culture of that time.  

I need to make a visit to Greece.  

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I also notice if you go to HAL website and look at October cruises for Eurodam, you'll see an Oct 31 3-day sailing from Bahamas. Test cruise??

Nope - that was originally a quickie 3 day sailing planned after her Seattle to Ft Lauderdale Panama Canal cruise that was cancelled months ago when CDC first gave the edict on no cruises 7+ days from US ports through 11/1/21.  It was to fill the gap before her 10/11 Partial Panama Canal rotation was to begin.  It has been on the schedule since the Fall/winter 2021/22 Caribbean/Panama Canal sailings were announced early last year.

ANY "test cruises" (if they ever happen) will be non-revenue and will never appear on the website or agent booking systems as they will be invite only events

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Nope - that was originally a quickie 3 day sailing planned after her Seattle to Ft Lauderdale Panama Canal cruise that was cancelled months ago when CDC first gave the edict on no cruises 7+ days from US ports through 11/1/21.  It was to fill the gap before her 10/11 Partial Panama Canal rotation was to begin.  It has been on the schedule since the Fall/winter 2021/22 Caribbean/Panama Canal sailings were announced early last year.

ANY "test cruises" (if they ever happen) will be non-revenue and will never appear on the website or agent booking systems as they will be invite only events

Thanks for explaining. 🌟

11 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Is there a source for this information?

10 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Thanks for asking, I'm still waiting for an answer to my same question in post #56.....

I looked extensively, including on official Turkey tourism site and on the US Consulate for Turkey site but could not find anything. I also am curious about that -- as I see there are a few ships scheduled to visit in summer/fall 2021.

35 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I looked extensively, including on official Turkey tourism site and on the US Consulate for Turkey site but could not find anything. I also am curious about that -- as I see there are a few ships scheduled to visit in summer/fall 2021.

Ditto, as did a friend.  I'm really curious and hope the OP returns with answers.  I have a cruise scheduled to visit there later this year. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

My researches showed the same thing.  I looked at those two, and also Cruisemapper.  (PS:  I am the friend referred to by Cruising-along)

Edited by xLibLabLady
addition of sentence
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

So I have read some of this thread.  Is this a real thing or just a pipe dream.  I have seen nothing anywhere outside this thread that mentions HAL sail Greece in October.

The Cruise Critic "Nancy Drew's" have been sleuthing and searching the Port schedules for places like Athens, which has become the hot new homeport for redeployed vessels this summer.  Just like during normal deployment season these port schedules often give an indication of things to come. 

HAL is also notoriously late to any party, so not surprised noting actually released by them if indeed they plan on homeporting Eurodam in Athens this summer

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

The Cruise Critic "Nancy Drew's" have been sleuthing and searching the Port schedules for places like Athens, which has become the hot new homeport for redeployed vessels this summer.  Just like during normal deployment season these port schedules often give an indication of things to come. 

HAL is also notoriously late to any party, so not surprised noting actually released by them if indeed they plan on homeporting Eurodam in Athens this summer

Wise observations!

Edited by xLibLabLady
correct name

Hi all,   I contacted Sado at  Ephesus Shuttles, with whom I have arranged a number of private tours in Turkey.   Here is what I asked, and his answer:  

Question:   has any department of the Turkish government issued an order about cruise lines not being allowed operate this year?   One person on one of the Cruise Critic forum has said this.   Me and others don’t think it is correct.    One of the reasons I think it is false is that the embassy site indicates entry is allowed by sea as well as by air.   They do not mention cruise ships, it is true.

Everyone can enter Turkey by showing their negative test result through airports, borders or through ports. So, there is no such a decision about not allowing the cruise operations. At least, till now. If there will be any decision taken, I will inform you. But, I do not think (hope) it will be necessarry.

Susan (xLibLabLady)

• Like 2

My research re Turkey found this article that mentions a Viking ship stopping last month.  https://www.dailysabah.com/business/tourism/turkeys-bodrum-welcomes-1st-cruise-ship-of-season

The ship stopped to pick up crew and supplies.  The article mentions that for Istanbul, reservations have been made for 200 visits by cruise ships for 2021.  

However, I have also read that COVID cases are surging in Turkey.   

• Like 2

5 hours ago, cruiserchuck said:

My research re Turkey found this article that mentions a Viking ship stopping last month.  https://www.dailysabah.com/business/tourism/turkeys-bodrum-welcomes-1st-cruise-ship-of-season

The ship stopped to pick up crew and supplies.  The article mentions that for Istanbul, reservations have been made for 200 visits by cruise ships for 2021.  

However, I have also read that COVID cases are surging in Turkey.   

Covid cases are surging in Turkey.  Latest seven day numbers:

https://graphics.reuters.com/world-coronavirus-tracker-and-maps/countries-and-territories/turkey/

It is unclear to me how anyone can tell what will be open, what will be closed, or what restrictions will be in place.   Covid is far from over.  We simply do not know.  Clearly the cruise lines want as many people as possible to book. IF only to get them on the FCC treadmill if the cruise is cancelled.

There continues to be a huge gulf between rhetoric from Government, industry/tourism folk and the hard reality of the numbers. 

Over the past 7 days the US has logged an average of 110 new covid daily  cases per 100K population. 

Turkey has logged an average of 433 daily new cases per 100K population.

Greece is something like 185 average daily cases per 100K population.

All three  are going the wrong way...UP.  The numbers reflect reality vs wishful thinking.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, iancal said:

Covid cases are surging in Turkey.  Latest seven day numbers:

https://graphics.reuters.com/world-coronavirus-tracker-and-maps/countries-and-territories/turkey/

It is unclear to me how anyone can tell what will be open, what will be closed, or what restrictions will be in place.   Covid is far from over.  We simply do not know.  Clearly the cruise lines want as many people as possible to book. IF only to get them on the FCC treadmill if the cruise is cancelled.

There continues to be a huge gulf between rhetoric from Government, industry/tourism folk and the hard reality of the numbers. 

Over the past 7 days the US has logged an average of 110 new covid daily  cases per 100K population. 

Turkey has logged an average of 433 daily new cases per 100K population.

Greece is something like 185 average daily cases per 100K population.

All three  are going the wrong way...UP.  The numbers reflect reality vs wishful thinking.

Sad but realistic words.