Staycation Cruises

DEEDIA

I wonder to my self why are Cruises so expensive in the UK, 8 Night British Isles aboard RC Anthem of the Seas is coming out at £1,239 for a Balcony. An American firm has a 8 Night Caribbean aboard RC Jewel of the Seas Balcony with $125 OBC, for $721. That equates to £524.64 less than half the price we are expected to pay. I guess there is a very good reason, but I do not know what is is.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, DEEDIA said:

I wonder to my self why are Cruises so expensive in the UK, 8 Night British Isles aboard RC Anthem of the Seas is coming out at £1,239 for a Balcony. An American firm has a 8 Night Caribbean aboard RC Jewel of the Seas Balcony with $125 OBC, for $721. That equates to £524.64 less than half the price we are expected to pay. I guess there is a very good reason, but I do not know what is is.

Maybe  port fees in the Caribbean are less than the UK?

The  best way to compare is find a cruise  that does the UK  from the American market

1. American prices aren't usually comparable to UK prices. You would need to price out through the same country. Cruises booked through the US don't have any of the ABTA protections or whatever it is you guys have 

2. Caribbean cruises make up the majority of American cruise line business. So when supply is high, prices are lower. Caribbean cruises often go for rock bottom prices that med cruises don't go for, even when comparing through the same country's booking system. 

Edited by sanger727

Supply and demand are always basic to pricing.  While there might be a half dozen British Isles sailings at any particular time, there are many dozens to the Caribbean from US ports.   Beyond that, I imagine that UK and Irish port charges are higher than the fees charged by Caribbean ports - many of which are so much more dependent upon day trippers than would be ports in your area.

3 hours ago, DEEDIA said:

While comparing a UK cruise to a Caribbean is not apples to apples, I have experienced a similar situation with flights many times.

When I compared the exact same flights for my dad, when coming out to Canada. A Vancouver - Edinburgh return booked in Canada was considerably cheaper than the exact same flight, but booked in UK as Edinburgh to Vancouver return.

I figured the UK's included VAT probably made some of the difference. In BC, we also have TA protections, so that wasn't part of the difference.

On 4/7/2021 at 6:14 PM, DEEDIA said:

But the prices are less if you cruise with P&O, MSC or Princess.

And the prices being charged for the UK staycation cruises are priced to compete with UK holiday prices thus summer, and to absorb the enormous amount of FCC that is floating around.

Making comparisons to a Caribbean cruise in a non pandemic environment is pointless.

Edited by wowzz