Bermuda Escape Cruises - insights, information, and more just on Bermuda

CCWineLover

4 hours ago, gramfrog said:

Still not sure about the hoops to be jumped through… we all have until May 31 to take the Risk Free voucher…. Anyone else on the fence??

At the moment, we are about as sure as we can be that we are going. 

• Like 1

Anyone flying Jet Blue out of Boston for the June 15th cruise?

Plan on going to CVS drive thru Friday morning in hopes that PCR results come in Saturday to apply for Authorization Form on Sunday.

If there is a better testing plan out there please let me know. Am open to anything with a better timeframe.Thanks.

30 minutes ago, Stempy said:

Where did the information come from that the June 15th cruise is at 450 passenger max capacity?

Viking assured TAs that they could book to the 900 max. Did you get this second-/third hand  or get it directly from Viking?

15 minutes ago, gramfrog said:

Viking assured TAs that they could book to the 900 max. Did you get this second-/third hand  or get it directly from Viking?

One of many articles about 50% capacity. Read and enjoy.

https://www.royalgazette.com/tourism/news/article/20210523/viking-orion-anchors-off-dockyard/

Edited by MRGACRUZR
Additional information

34 minutes ago, MRGACRUZR said:

So I just spoke to Viking as a TA with six rooms onboard, and Viking said they are at 90-100% capacity of the ship already, around 900 passengers on the Bermuda Cruises, and 100% on the Iceland cruises at 930 pax through mid August; they added a second ship, Jupiter (or Sky, can't remember which, from the Bergen itineraries they canceled--- both Jupiter and Sky will be doing Iceland, so twice a week sailings there) and have availability mid to late August on the Iceland itinerary.  I asked about the 50% being thrown around, and they said no..... and laughed.  

1 hour ago, gramfrog said:

So I just spoke to Viking as a TA with six rooms onboard, and Viking said they are at 90-100% capacity of the ship already, around 900 passengers on the Bermuda Cruises, and 100% on the Iceland cruises at 930 pax through mid August; they added a second ship, Jupiter (or Sky, can't remember which, from the Bergen itineraries they canceled--- both Jupiter and Sky will be doing Iceland, so twice a week sailings there) and have availability mid to late August on the Iceland itinerary.  I asked about the 50% being thrown around, and they said no..... and laughed.  

Here's another but it's pretty specific that it's only the June 15 cruise sailing at 50%.

https://bernews.com/2021/05/viking-cruise-ship-orion-bermuda-waters/

And another:

https://m.facebook.com/BermudaGovernment/photos/a.719755368067614/4148320331877750/?type=3&source=57#_=_

Edited by MRGACRUZR

44 minutes ago, gramfrog said:

Posted Saturday from those on the first UK cruise...  

Great to see photos starting to appear on Facebook in the UK from passengers already on board .In cabins apparently within 25-35 minutes of arrival.

Some seen in explorers lounge and having lunch in World Cafe.

Very encouraging.

Only 230 on board ,will be 460 on next sailing they have been told.

It would be impossible to social distance at 90% occupancy and there's lots of it in place according to the UK cruisers who are on the Venus and have posted pics. Feeding that many people between 6:00PM and 9:00PM would be impossible based on the dining criteria Viking has in place.  

They've been more cautious than most cruise lines and no one's operating at those numbers.  MSC with the best track record and most experience in the industry had less than 1,200 people on the 6,000 passenger Virtuosa's first UK sailing.  Pure logic dictates, after being shutdown for 15 months, Viking wouldn't want their initial sailings ending up on the news risking their reputation and future sailings. Five crew members got COVID on the passenger-less Odyssey after it left Israel and that made headlines.  Can you imagine the headlines if there were an outbreak aboard a ship full of American's who bypassed U.S. departure ports to circumvent the CDC?  I'm sure Viking's imagined it and it's probably their worst nightmare. 

I'd buy "90-100%" of the 50% of the cabins they are actually selling on some sailings.  They also have V2 guarantees open on almost all the Bermuda sailings along with a free Silver Spirits package.  I'm sure you as a travel agent know that isn't a sign of a cruise that's at capacity. Whatever that capacity may be.  

P.S. - In a former life, many jobs ago, I owned a Virtuoso agency in South Florida. 

• Like 2

Like I’ve been saying, take anything you hear on the phone with a Viking rep with a grain of salt.  I don’t think they are malicious or lying, I just think there is a lack of accurate information getting to the reps, and maybe a little too much self-confidence in what they think they know.  I see that all the time with young service people.  But you gotta love their enthusiasm 🙂

Has anyone heard a Viking rep say “you know, I’m not sure about that, let me research it and get back with you.”?  And did they call back with an accurate answer?

But anyway, these are trying times for every service oriented organization, I’m sure they are doing the best they can.

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, B_A_H said:

.MSC with the best track record and most experience in the industry had less than 1,200 people on the 6,000 passenger Virtuosa's first UK sailing. 

No disagreement with any of what you are saying, just wanted to point out that MSC couldn’t have had more than a 1000 aboard as it isn’t allowed by British protocols at the moment. Similarly, Viking can’t sail their British cruises at the moment with more than 465 aboard. The capacity requirements are hoped to be removed by June 21st. 

EC95D2E2-1094-4591-9C0E-79467D022981.jpeg

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Has anyone heard a Viking rep say “you know, I’m not sure about that, let me research it and get back with you.”?  And did they call back with an accurate answer?

I did!  I emailed Tellus and asked how they would work dining at the World Café.  I received a phone call but the rep didn't specifically know whether you would still visit the buffet and then be served by the dining staff.  The next day I received another call and she'd double-checked and learned that the buffet would still exist, but be staff served.

4 minutes ago, MarkBearSF said:

Hey everybody with July trips. Check your MVJ. I was just able to book excursions (July 13 cruise, DV category)

Just booked for July 20th in a V2. We can't eat anything on the boat yet, but at least we can get off now 🙂

• Like 1

Booking shore  excursion was slick as ice. on MVJ.  I appreciate the morning or afternoon times for the included ones. They have a nice variety  of included and pay excursions for an island. 

The  June folks are indeed the meta test sailings.

Edited by Azulann
  • Like 1

On 5/24/2021 at 10:15 AM, gramfrog said:

Still not sure about the hoops to be jumped through… we all have until May 31 to take the Risk Free voucher…. Anyone else on the fence??

On the fence.

We might replace this cruise with one to Malta later in the summer when things are better worked out.  Also, very disappointed in our cruise's excursions.  Except for some bizarre ones, everything has been sold out since the moment they became available - even the basic walking tours.  St. George's is sold out for 2 days straight   Didn't want to go to Bermuda just to sit on the ship. 

10 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

On the fence.

We might replace this cruise with one to Malta later in the summer when things are better worked out.  Also, very disappointed in our cruise's excursions.  Except for some bizarre ones, everything has been sold out since the moment they became available - even the basic walking tours.  St. George's is sold out for 2 days straight   Didn't want to go to Bermuda just to sit on the ship. 

We just transferred all five staterooms to Iceland late August....

On 5/24/2021 at 10:15 AM, gramfrog said:

Gramfrog, thanks so much for all the TA expert and  helpful information you have posted here and on the roll call.  Yes, we were on the fence and just made our decision to cancel our booking.  We feel like there are so many uncertainties around testing and restrictions (like not going ashore except on a Viking excursion) that we will sit this one out and wait a bit longer until there is a little less friction around international travel.  BTW, we were cruising the Panama Canal when Covid emerged in early March 2020, and experienced some of the issues (ship being turned away from a port, etc.) and just made it back into the US as everything in California was locking down.  It wasn't a lot of fun.

Gramfrog, 

It sounds like a better fit for your group.

I remember you on the our first sailing on the Viking Sea, Puerto Rico to Barcelona Transatlantic.That was such a great cruise and a fab roll call, with two meet and greets!

You gave me your card... I should have called you to book my Bermuda cruise. But I did this all in 24 hrs, once I got the email from Viking. The July 13 saling was the only week my sister could go. She is still teaching summer school.

My former  roommate Louise is on the Iceland cruise  July 3 withher husband and friends of ours.   They  is really excited in spite of the bumps in the road since they booked. 

Enjoy your new cruise in late August. maybe we will nmeet again on a Viking ship.

Patti

5 minutes ago, Azulann said:

Gramfrog, 

It sounds like a better fit for your group.

I remember you on the our first sailing on the Viking Sea, Puerto Rico to Barcelona Transatlantic.That was such a great cruise and a fab roll call, with two meet and greets!

You gave me your card... I should have called you to book my Bermuda cruise. But I did this all in 24 hrs, once I got the email from Viking. The July 13 saling was the only week my sister could go. She is still teaching summer school.

My former  roommate Louise is on the Iceland cruise  July 3 withher husband and friends of ours.   They  is really excited in spite of the bumps in the road since they booked. 

Enjoy your new cruise in late August. maybe we will nmeet again on a Viking ship.

Patti

I would love that. I remember you too. Safe travels! ( and contact me whenever!!)

26 minutes ago, Cruzinbabz said:

Gramfrog, thanks so much for all the TA expert and  helpful information you have posted here and on the roll call.  Yes, we were on the fence and just made our decision to cancel our booking.  We feel like there are so many uncertainties around testing and restrictions (like not going ashore except on a Viking excursion) that we will sit this one out and wait a bit longer until there is a little less friction around international travel.  BTW, we were cruising the Panama Canal when Covid emerged in early March 2020, and experienced some of the issues (ship being turned away from a port, etc.) and just made it back into the US as everything in California was locking down.  It wasn't a lot of fun.

Oh poor you!  I had several clients on the Disney Wonder 2020 Panama Canal, and the stories about being turned away from ports… frightening…

1 hour ago, CCWineLover said:

On the fence.

You are guaranteed an  included excursion in every port. Viking will add more tours and times , hopefully before you sail.On our transaltaintic the tour to Seville was all sold out. They ended up  getting another big bus and guide. Folks filled that tour up once it was announced on board, which open up all the included tours for that day in port. People also cancel once onboard beucause they change their minds. At least that was my experience. 

Bermuda is now having inside dining  with a safe key pass for residents. They have big drop in Covid and positve tests. I think they will  open up even more. 

Edited by Azulann

5 hours ago, angelhelly said:

Just booked for July 20th in a V2. We can't eat anything on the boat yet, but at least we can get off now 🙂

Call or chat with Viking. You can make reservations in the MDR in advance regardless of room category.