Bermuda Escape Cruises - insights, information, and more just on Bermuda

CCWineLover

43 minutes ago, MRGACRUZR said:

If you test on Thursday (Day 0) won't you be a day short on Tuesday (Day 5)?

Sorry you are correct as my test day is Friday not Thursday as I changed my appointment from Saturday to Friday

49 minutes ago, Respbj said:

Four days at least gives us some wiggle room with test on Thursday and needing to report on Monday in the Bermuda travel authorization form. I still have to drive 2 hours for a PCR test that says results in 24 hours which I am comfortable with. I’m spending thousands of $ and don’t want this test to ruin going on the cruise. 

I am such a good my appointment for my test is FRIDAY not Thursday! What was I thinking when I wrote this…probably didn’t have my second cup of coffee yet!

1 hour ago, MRGACRUZR said:

If you test on Thursday (Day 0) won't you be a day short on Tuesday (Day 5)?

Yes you will.  According tp the Bermuda's covid site for a Tues arrival, day 0 would be Friday, day 1 Sat, day 2, SUn, day 3 Mon leaving day 4 on Tues.  If you get the test on Friday, you need to apply for the travel authorization SUnday to Monday morning (before noon).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bafinegan said:

Yes you will.  According tp the Bermuda's covid site for a Tues arrival, day 0 would be Friday, day 1 Sat, day 2, SUn, day 3 Mon leaving day 4 on Tues.  If you get the test on Friday, you need to apply for the travel authorization SUnday to Monday morning (before noon).

Yes I have my appointment for Friday with a 24 hour turnaround so fingers crossed it all goes to plan. Ps don’t know why I originally said my test day was Thursday must have needed my coffee before writing 

• Haha 1

Tropical Storm Ana has passed away from Bermuda. Orion is slowly cruising off east of Bermuda and is due to sail in tomorrow morning with ETA of 8:00am (ADT) to Grassy Bay anchorage in the Great Sound.

I'll be up early in the morning to watch Orion's arrival and will take pictures to post here.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

The St. Regis just opened a few days ago.  Its beach looks nice, but the decor is a bit too Restoration Hardware look for my taste.  Not something I would associate with a British Overseas Territory.  I suspect the queen would sniff at it.

Perhaps if you describe what you are looking for in a hotel, it might guide suggestions?  From my research, Bermuda has a wide range of choices.

Pick your hotel carefully, because if you test positive for covid you may be stuck there for two weeks, likely confined in the hotel’s least desirable room.

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold
  • Thanks 1

Regarding my long-winded list of questions for Viking, when I submitted them to “tellus” I asked that they NOT call me, but answer the questions in writing.  Of course, since submitting the questions, I’ve been getting daily calls from Viking.  I have not answered them as the caller ID shows them as “Telemarketer”...  And all I’ve gotten from previous call-backs are platitudes, and incomplete and/or wrong information.  I was hoping that someone would research the questions and provide reliable answers.  Oh well, I doubt any cruise line would do any better, especially under current conditions.

1 hour ago, ClareMarie28 said:

We booked our own flights and are arriving in Bermuda a few days before our Viking cruise which starts June 22nd. Does anyone have any hotel recommendations in Bermuda? Thanks in advance. 😊

Big variety of places to stay.  Also, Bermuda is expensive.  Love beaches, pick a beach hotel. Elbow beach, Southampton Fairmont, Cambridge Beaches are great.  Small b and bs are also nice.  Be sure to but MAP meal plans.  Not a great restaurant culture unless you stay in Hamilton.  Go shopping. my favorite is Bluck. Even if you don’t need China, the store is so beautiful. 

Edited by Redtravel
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

Big variety of places to stay.  Also, Bermuda is expensive.  Love beaches, pick a beach hotel. Elbow beach, Southampton Fairmont, Cambridge Beaches are great.  Small b and bs are also nice.  Be sure to but MAP meal plans.  Not a great restaurant culture unless you stay in Hamilton.  Go shopping. my favorite is Bluck. Even if you don’t need China, the store is so beautiful. 

Fairmont Southampton Princess hotel is closed for renovations, but Hamilton Princess hotel is open.

Bluck's closed out a few years ago.

• Thanks 1

On 5/22/2021 at 8:18 AM, Respbj said:

Four days at least gives us some wiggle room with test on Thursday and needing to report on Monday in the Bermuda travel authorization form. I still have to drive 2 hours for a PCR test that says results in 24 hours which I am comfortable with. I’m spending thousands of $ and don’t want this test to ruin going on the cruise. 

That should say test on FRIDAY not Thursday…. No coffee yet when typing!

Place this under the heading of “Read the documents Viking sends you with your invoice”.

If you bought the Viking Travel Protection Plan, there is a “cancel for any reason” clause in the insurance doc.  So that covers having to cancel during the 14 day period after the “peace of mind” cancellation policy ends.  The insurance provides a cash refund for listed reasons, and a 12 month voucher for any other reason.  So this solves several of the questions I had for Viking.  YMMV if you did not take the trip insurance.

I didn’t originally read the trip insurance doc because I have had such policies before, and they usually require a special, and expensive, rider for “cancel for any reason” coverage.  Viking actually provides this part of the coverage themselves, not the insurance company.  Thanks Viking!  I’m not sure if that coverage is included in the Trip Protection Plan in non covid times or not.  Something to look for in planning future trips.

59 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

I didn’t originally read the trip insurance doc because I have had such policies before, and they usually require a special, and expensive, rider for “cancel for any reason” coverage.  Viking actually provides this part of the coverage themselves, not the insurance company.  Thanks Viking!  I’m not sure if that coverage is included in the Trip Protection Plan in non covid times or not.  Something to look for in planning future trips.

Yes it is offered in "normal" times as long as you pay the insurance a specified time from booking.  I think 14 days but as you say your mileage may vary.