Bermuda Escape Cruises - insights, information, and more just on Bermuda

CCWineLover

31 minutes ago, bafinegan said:

A person on the June 15 cruise just posted this on another social media site.  Looking like we will be able to self explore!

Bermuda.jpg

Yes...we are on the June 15, and got this as well. We've spent some time this evening doing some idea shopping given our new found freedom. I got to say this is wonderful news! Who knew! And literally in the 11th hour no less.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Crockett&Darla said:

Yes...we are on the June 15, and got this as well. We've spent some time this evening doing some idea shopping given our new found freedom. I got to say this is wonderful news! Who knew! And literally in the 11th hour no less.

spectacular news!!

I would give up ST. George to get freedom!!!!

Poor Viking - I bet their excursion folks are scrambling like crazy...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MarkBearSF said:

Interesting that St Georges is a tender port. I recall, when we visited in 1998 on the Zenith, we docked there. And a NCL ship docked there with us, lined up along the pier (Norwegian Destiny or Majesty)

Interesting. I checked an old Berlitz guide and although the Orion is a bit longer than the Zenith, she's a smaller ship in GRT and passenger capacity. And, as I remember, the two ships were lined up along the shoreline pier (so length is unlikely to be an issue). Perhaps the protections causing problems with the tender also protect the shoreline.

Edited by MarkBearSF

1 hour ago, MarkBearSF said:

Interesting. I checked an old Berlitz guide and although the Orion is a bit longer than the Zenith, she's a smaller ship in GRT and passenger capacity. And, as I remember, the two ships were lined up along the shoreline pier (so length is unlikely to be an issue). Perhaps the protections causing problems with the tender also protect the shoreline.

GRT or Gross Registered Tonnage has actually no relationship with the overall size or displacement of a ship. GRT is actually a volume measurement of the total enclosed space with 100 cubic feet = to 1 ton.

Passenger capacity is also not an indicator of ship size, as the mass market ships have considerably less space per passenger than premium/luxury ships.

Best way to compare ship size is overall length, displacement and draught. Could be a multitude of reasons why Orion is tendering, rather than docking.

• Like 1

We are at the Philadelphia airport waiting for our flight to Charlotte on American Airlines. If you are flying later today or another date, make sure you have printed copies of your travel authorization and negative Covid test. They scrutinized both of them. That is apparently why on-line check-in was not available. Safe travels everyone. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, hfjas006 said:

We are at the Philadelphia airport waiting for our flight to Charlotte on American Airlines. If you are flying later today or another date, make sure you have printed copies of your travel authorization and negative Covid test. They scrutinized both of them. That is apparently why on-line check-in was not available. Safe travels everyone. 

Our experience also.  In addition I had to supply our boarding passes to the airline-they were asking what hotel we were staying at so I have them the boarding passes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It’s wonderful that you are able to travel freely in Bermuda outside excursions … make sure you bring plenty of masks … they are mandatory in stores, on buses, in taxis, when entering restaurants, etc. 

We are generally cooperative with wearing masks when doing the above, so if you are the same, all is well. You will see ppl not wearing masks but it’s outside. We’re about 60% fully vaccinated, but still wear masks to protect ourselves and others.

ENJOY!!! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

We’ve seen the Orion and we think it’s too big to go through the Town Cut to get to St. George. HAL Veendam was too big also.

But there is fast direct ferry between Dockyard and St. George. About 40-50 minutes each way and great ride.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

It’s wonderful that you are able to travel freely in Bermuda outside excursions … make sure you bring plenty of masks … they are mandatory in stores, on buses, in taxis, when entering restaurants, etc. 

We are generally cooperative with wearing masks when doing the above, so if you are the same, all is well. You will see ppl not wearing masks but it’s outside. We’re about 60% fully vaccinated, but still wear masks to protect ourselves and others.

ENJOY!!! 

Hi! Could you please tell us if there's an app we need while on our own in Bermuda? I seem to remember something about needing to scan a QR code in order to enter shops.  Thanks!

3 minutes ago, Triptkr said:

Hi! Could you please tell us if there's an app we need while on our own in Bermuda? I seem to remember something about needing to scan a QR code in order to enter shops.  Thanks!

I have QR Reader app on my iPhone. This will do, I think. No need to use it to enter shops, but you might want/need it for menus in restaurants. They have paper menus for ppl who prefer them.

You’ll find Bermuda different … but you’ll enjoy your time here!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

ENJOY!!! 

Having my morning coffee as I watch the Bermuda webcam of the Orion. All the flag streamers are out and the ship looks so lovely . Look like some crew are inspecting the retractable roof over the pool. I love that feature on Viking ship , the whole ship looks ready to sail to Hamilton and welcome it first guests. Too bad there is no webcam in Hamilton. Wonder if Orion will turn on the ship webcam ?

Safe travels all you cruisers who are at airports today flying to Bermuda. 
Patti

• Like 2

Hey, Orion is ready to sail!

13 minutes ago, Azulann said:

Having my morning coffee as I watch the Bermuda webcam of the Orion. All the flag streamers are out and the ship looks so lovely . Look like some crew are inspecting the retractable roof over the pool. I love that feature on Viking ship , the whole ship looks ready to sail to Hamilton and welcome it first guests. Too bad there is no webcam in Hamilton. Wonder if Orion will turn on the ship webcam ?

Patti

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Azulann said:

Patti

Thanks for mentioning the webcam...what a lovely sight!

Watching Orion leave Royal Dockyard as I type...so excited for today's cruisers and can't wait to hear you've made it safely onboard!!

Edited by cadburysmom

3 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

I have QR Reader app on my iPhone. This will do, I think. No need to use it to enter shops, but you might want/need it for menus in restaurants. They have paper menus for ppl who prefer them.

You’ll find Bermuda different … but you’ll enjoy your time here!

3 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

ENJOY!!! 

Bluesea777, thanks for your helpful input.  Great news, indeed.  

Swizzle Inn, here I come!! 🍸:classic_biggrin:

Btw,  has the Elbow Beach Resort reopened?  Lunch at Mickey's on the beach was like heaven...

July 13 can't get here soon enough!!

Edited by cadburysmom
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, MarkBearSF said:

Interesting that St Georges is a tender port. I recall, when we visited in 1998 on the Zenith, we docked there. And a NCL ship docked there with us, lined up along the pier (Norwegian Destiny or Majesty)

since the port has NOT been used by any ships in two maybe 3 years it must need work, as far as I know only the ferry and some yaults has been using the port/dock. also the more the ferry dock to were many or the ships dock

1 hour ago, cadburysmom said:

Bluesea777, thanks for your helpful input.  Great news, indeed.  

Swizzle Inn, here I come!! 🍸:classic_biggrin:  Blue Hole (near Grotto Bay Hotel and Airport) only. The one on South Road Warwick has closed out and a new restaurant with different name reopened in its place.

Btw,  has the Elbow Beach Resort reopened?  Yes, the Beachfront Suites only + pool + restaurants. The main hotel building remain closed. 

Lunch at Mickey's on the beach was like heaven... it's open Fri-Sat-Sun for lunch but daily for dinner.

July 13 can't get here soon enough!! 4 weeks to go - time will fly by!!

• Like 1

On 6/14/2021 at 9:45 AM, Clay Clayton said:

Pardon this interruption from an Iceland cruiser. 

When did Viking notify you of the need to use the Verifly app to upload your vaccine information?  How did you receive this request?

Thanks!

Clay,

I downloaded the Verifly App, entered the data required under Viking Ocean, and received our "Ready to Travel" status about 20 minutes after I entered the required data (photo, vaccination information, booking number, cruise date).

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

Excellent on all counts....sorry to hear one of the Swizzle Inn locations closed but glad they kept the original, or at least I think it was the original, across from the caves.

Thanks so much for this great info!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Crockett&Darla said:

Out of curiosity - we are on the 20 July sailing - I sent this inquiry to Viking via our TA:

"The document attached below [previous post] was posted on FB today by a 15 June Viking Bermuda cruiser who had just received it. Would you please ask Tommy [our TA's regular Viking contact] if the part about being able to go ashore ’on our own’ will remain in effect for later cruises such as ours on 20 July?"

The response was:

"It is a day by day situation but I would expect the same allowance for guests to roam freely would still be in effect by the time they cruise but not guaranteed if Bermuda policy changes.

"Keep a look out for Viking updates on their specific travel dates as we get closer to sailing."

Not a definite commitment that we will be able to do "on our own" stuff, but we are crossing our fingers!

• Like 2