Bermuda Escape Cruises - insights, information, and more just on Bermuda

CCWineLover

1 hour ago, Azulann said:

i love these drinks in the tropics and during summer! 

The best Patron margarita  I have had was at the Mast   bar of Celebrity  Century while transiting the Panama Canal on Christmas Eve. But it might have been  based on my surroundings that day.

Now I am thirsty , but it is only 53 degrees today in the North. so I will have a gin martini instead a little later.

I was looking at the drink menu, and the lemon drop martini caught my eye.  ANYTHING made with limoncello is good in my book!

Edited by bafinegan
spelling
  • Like 2

Enjoy a lemon drop martini in the Explorer’s  Lounge before dinner.

View is unbelievable ( especially sailing into port), leather  lounge chairs decadently comfortable and  atmosphere extremely pleasant with background piano music.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/6/2021 at 9:46 AM, What was that? said:

Having sobered up from deliriously celebrating our NEGATIVE "ID NOW" Covid-19 test yesterday at Walgreens - WARNING: this test is NOT currently accepted by Bermuda - I am sharing what the results look like, for those who are interested. I only included the test result section, and omitted the identification and administrivia portion.

We took this test for our trip to Hawaii on Saturday, within the required 72 hours of our departure, received the results in less than 1.5 hours, and uploaded it to the proper Hawaii website which accepted it.

Hopefully, Bermuda will see the this as an acceptable test, in addition to the PCR test currently required - which I don't think we can have done and still make the trip. In truth, it is somewhat less sensitive/reliable than a PCR test, but for vaccinated travelers it should be sufficient.

Screenshot 2021-05-06 063530.jpg

The test that you had done is in fact PCR and should be acceptable for Bermuda travel.  NAAT is a pcr test.  It's just a rapid test.

• Like 1

Bermuda says it must say “PCR” on the test results doc.  This is a major source of confusion that we all hope Viking will clear up - soon!

The confusion is caused because the Rapid ID is an “Iso-thermal” NAAT, not a “PCR” NAAT.

It takes some digging, but there are articles on the subtle difference.

PS - I will need all the above drinks, in quantity, if we manage to actually get on the ship on 6/15.

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, shadowlover said:

The test that you had done is in fact PCR and should be acceptable for Bermuda travel.  NAAT is a pcr test.  It's just a rapid test.

I think it’s the other way around: a PCR test is a category of NAAT tests. The Abbott ID NOW test is in the other category of NAAT tests called “isothermal.” I base this on my reading of this CDC page: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/lab/naats.html

If I'm rong it would be a great convenience to me. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Bermuda says it must say “PCR” on the test results doc.  This is a major source of confusion that we all hope Viking will clear up - soon!

The confusion is caused because the Rapid ID is an “Iso-thermal” NAAT, not a “PCR” NAAT.

It takes some digging, but there are articles on the subtle difference.

PS - I will need all the above drinks, in quantity, if we manage to actually get on the ship on 6/15.

I actually called the Bermuda Covid hotline and asked specifically about the ID NOW test doen at Walgreens.  After checking with a supervisor, I was tolds this test is acceptable.  I do plan on calling about a week prior to ensure things haven't changed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bafinegan said:

I actually called the Bermuda Covid hotline and asked specifically about the ID NOW test doen at Walgreens.  After checking with a supervisor, I was tolds this test is acceptable.  I do plan on calling about a week prior to ensure things haven't changed.

Yes. I have heard that too. I will wait until i see what Viking says. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Anyone know what happens to the premium paid for the Viking trip insurance if one cancels before the 14 day limit?  Does it become a credit like the cruise fare?

We canceled a Viking Alaska cruise, before Viking canceled them all.  We got our money back for the cruise, but lost the trip insurance premium.  But  the Bermuda cruise cancelation policy is somewhat different in that there is no option to get your cash back, only a credit.  The sales person did not mention what happens with the trip insurance premium, and I forgot to ask...

FWIW ... we have always gone with the insurance offered with Viking (TripMate).  We have canceled three cruises in the last year and in each case the amount paid for the insurance was part of the voucher/cash amount credit.  

The negative PCR test that Bermuda requires within 3 days of arriving is becoming a real hassle. It does appear that the weekend throws a curve into the process. So far I am reading and being told that the 48 hour test results are only good for travel Thursday through Monday and will probably not come back in time for travel on Tuesday or Wednesday. Bermuda has partnered with Costco and Azova for testing, complete with charts of when to test etc.

This is the caveat on their website:

• This test is applicable for travel Thursday through Monday* for destinations requiring a COVID-19 test taken within 72 hours before departure.
  • *Travelers departing on Mondays after 12pm EST may not receive their results in time for their flights.

By the time we are getting on our flights, we would have had to submit a travel request with neg test at least 24 hours prior to arrival. Unless Viking is working on a solution, this won't work.

Lot's of opinions on PCR vs. non being shared here.  The only thing that would sway me that the Abbott ID NOW test as acceptable is something in writing from Bermuda.  Not the word of someone here who spoke to a Bermudian CSR who spoke to their supervisor. 

Because when you arrive and are standing in front of a Bermudian immigration officer who says the Abbott test isn't acceptable telling them "but someone on the phone said it was OK" isn't going to get you in to the country. 

If flying by the seat of their pants works for some here that's great and I wish them the best. 

4 minutes ago, B_A_H said:

Lot's of opinions on PCR vs. non being shared here.  The only thing that would sway me that the Abbott ID NOW test as acceptable is something in writing from Bermuda.  Not the word of someone here who spoke to a Bermudian CSR who spoke to their supervisor. 

Because when you arrive and are standing in front of a Bermudian immigration officer who says the Abbott test isn't acceptable telling them "but someone on the phone said it was OK" isn't going to get you in to the country. 

If flying by the seat of their pants works for some here that's great and I wish them the best. 

You probably won't get that far if you hadn't submitted your negative PCR test via the Bermuda Travel Request, 24 hours in advance of the day you plan to arrive.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, B_A_H said:

While I appreciate your input, I have in no way told others what they should do.  And I do not appreciate your tone ( hoping it's just the typed word and not something else).  All I have done is relay what I have been told by Bermuda when I called.  I do plan on getting something in writing, not that I need your approval.  I think it's time to block your attitude. I really hope you have a good day sir.

Saying "I think the Abbott test will be OK" is very different than saying "the Abbott test will be OK."  I'm careful on forums to separate my opinion from fact.  Typically if what I'm sharing is fact I'll add a link for others to verify what I've shared.  When I'm sharing opinion it's called out that way.  The last thing I'd want is information I shared to be followed by others and it cause them harm.  That's why I posted what I did.  And this is the second round of commentary about the Abbott test in this thread and it ended the same as the first.  With no conclusive answer.  

On 4/8/2021 at 7:55 PM, CCWineLover said:

Information on entering Bermuda for Vaccinated Visitors from the US and Canada, dated just this past April 7, 2021:  Travel Protocols - pre-departure and on arrival

https://www.gotobermuda.com/bta/press-release/bermuda-tourism-authority-update

Guidelines for immunized travelers:

https://www.gov.bm/coronavirus-covid-19-information-immunised-travellers

And yes, as Azulann stated, this could be changing over the coming months.

Hi,

Thank you for the information.  I would not have known about the need for a travel voucher if I had not read your post.  Did I miss an important piece of information on the Viking website?  I am usually so thorough when booking.  I do not see anything about this even today.  Perhaps Viking sent an email and I somehow missed it?  We have not sailed with Viking but I am really concerned because this is certainly a vital piece of information that I only found out about on CC.  Perhaps they plan to alert us to this when final documents are sent?   Sorry for the negativity .  We do want to cruise again.  I understand that requirements may change but this seems a really big requirement that I would have missed.

22 minutes ago, R,D,W said:

Hi,

Thank you for the information.  I would not have known about the need for a travel voucher if I had not read your post.  Did I miss an important piece of information on the Viking website?  I am usually so thorough when booking.  I do not see anything about this even today.  Perhaps Viking sent an email and I somehow missed it?  We have not sailed with Viking but I am really concerned because this is certainly a vital piece of information that I only found out about on CC.  Perhaps they plan to alert us to this when final documents are sent?   Sorry for the negativity .  We do want to cruise again.  I understand that requirements may change but this seems a really big requirement that I would have missed.

The requirements for entering Bermuda have changed.  One now needs a PCR test 3 days prior (it was 5 days prior 2 weeks ago).  Whoever you booked thru should have gone over all this with you before you paid ( whether it be a TA or a Viking Rep).  There are health/safety guidelines posted on Viking's website, but requirements for the individual countries will be emailed to passengers prior to the cruise (so we have been told)   This is also outlined under Vikings Covid 19 policies with links to the passenger ticket contract.

COVID-19 POLICIES AND PROCEDURES (INTERNATIONAL VOYAGES) IMPORTANT NOTICE FOR OUR US AND CANADIAN GUESTS—PLEASE READ CAREFULLY: The following Policies and Procedures have been developed based on guidance and directives from health authorities, governments in the U.S. and other countries, and medical and public health experts. All guests must read and comply with these Policies and Procedures at all times which are subject to change without notice due to evolving COVID-19 recommendations and requirements. Guests must familiarize themselves with the Policies and Procedures in effect at the time of embarkation as well as any follow up communications and updates provided. Guests must read and familiarize themselves with the Passenger Ticket Contract at www.vikingcruises.com/passengerticketcontract, the acknowledgment and acceptance of public health risks—including COVID-19—in the Notice of Booking Confirmation and our Privacy Policy at https://www. vikingcruises.com/privacy-policy/index.html.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Here is why Bermuda is being so careful, they are still getting infected people coming in by air, despite all the testing requirements:

https://www.royalgazette.com/health/news/article/20210510/covid-19-17-new-cases-recorded/

I just love it that airlines get a free pass as covid "safe areas" when airliners are and always have been the world's biggest spreader of just about anything.  They do not need to track their passengers to see if they become active in 3 or 4 days as cruise lines do.  Just test em at the door.  Many times traveling I have come home from long flights and had "the crud" from airline fellow passengers.  Imho, cruise ships are unfairly singled out.  If you spent weeks in hotels I would wager the sickness rate to be similar.  Also if you spent extended time on aircraft (God forbid!).  No point, just tossing in my two chips worth...

• Like 2

Was at Costco yesterday and near the checkout lanes they had a guy with a bullhorn cajoling people to go to their pharmacy and get vaccinated immediately, no appointment needed, and there was no line at the pharmacy that I could see.  They offered a choice of covid vaccines.

All the (US) pharmacy and grocery chains also have same-day and/or walk-in appointments available.

PS - Medical insurance is not required to get the shots for free.  No citizenship or residency requirements either.  If you have a phone or email, and any sort of ID, you can get the shots at CVS, etc. for free.  And the county has sites and trucks where you don’t even need contact info or ID.

• Like 2

Ragnar, I thought of you the other day while I was visiting with a Dingbat relative.  She is vaxxed but still wears her mask everywhere, except eating.  So if you don't hold your breath while eating what have you gained?  Anyway, she is so worried about "all those fake shot cards" out there.  I simply asked her if she was also upset with all the fake passports, fake drivers licenses, and oh yeah, fake $20 bills.  Deer in the headlights......  First, what is the reason to risk faking one?  Any money in it?  Last I heard the shots, and shot cards, are no cost to you.  Then who's at risk?  Not the vaccinated traveler, only the non vexed with the fake shot card.  I really don't see a huge gain here by faking shot cards.  Might as well put all your time and effort into faking library cards.....🍸  

• Like 1

A surprisingly high percentage of the population are idiots.  Never underestimate their stupidity and lack of logical thinking.

”Bill Gates puts tracking devices in the shots!”

”The government is experimenting on us!”

”You can get covid from the shots!”

”The shots will change your genes!”

”Dr xxxxx says not to get the shot, just build up your immune system!”

”Even though (insert deity of choice) gave humans the ability to create MRI machines, antibiotics, etc., he/she/it doesn’t want us to take vaccines!”

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I know that I would be asking for the sun, moon, and Milky Way, but it would be ideal if Viking linked with the Bermuda Tourist Board and included an approved Authorization Form with our cruise tickets.Where these are touted to be all passenger vaccinated cruises,  drop some of the red tape.

This would save us all such agita and stress especially for the June 15th departure which is on a Tuesday.

As was mentioned previously , we do need a negative Covid test three days before departure which would be on a Saturday. Hopefully results would be posted by Sunday.

Only then can we apply for an Authorization Form to include Covid results. Nothing is looked at on a Sunday.This takes us to Monday with a turnaround time for approval of at least 24 hours. We leave Boston on Tuesday morning at 8:30 AM not knowing if we will even be allowed on the island or the ship.

If anyone is enlightened by a Viking guru in the next few days, please share. We are all in the same predicament.

Time for a martini!

Edited by Stempy
Grammar mistakes

This is why we are flying in three days early.  Well, and to spend three days at a nice beach resort.  Well, and to board the ship at 11am while most pax are suffering angst about being let past the airport, just to get on the ship in time for a late dinner.  And flights before the 15th had seats available in first class.

Early bird gets the worm.  And maybe covid....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stempy said:

I know that I would be asking for the sun, moon, and Milky Way, but it would be ideal if Viking linked with the Bermuda Tourist Board and included an approved Authorization Form with our cruise tickets.Where these are touted to be all passenger vaccinated cruises,  drop some of the red tape.

This would save us all such agita and stress especially for the June 15th departure which is on a Tuesday.

As was mentioned previously , we do need a negative Covid test three days before departure which would be on a Saturday. Hopefully results would be posted by Sunday.

Only then can we apply for an Authorization Form to include Covid results. Nothing is looked at on a Sunday.This takes us to Monday with a turnaround time for approval of at least 24 hours. We leave Boston on Tuesday morning at 8:30 AM not knowing if we will even be allowed on the island or the ship.

If anyone is enlightened by a Viking guru in the next few days, please share. We are all in the same predicament.

Time for a martini!

If anyone takes the time to do the math, it's nearly impossible to comply if you are travelling on a Tuesday or Wednesday. If someone has found a solution, please share. We really want to do this cruise.

Edited by MRGACRUZR
Additional sentiment

27 minutes ago, MRGACRUZR said:

If anyone takes the time to do the math, it's nearly impossible to comply if you are travelling on a Tuesday or Wednesday. If someone has found a solution, please share. We really want to do this cruise.

Fly in early.  Somewhere above I did a timeline for flying into Bermuda on a Saturday.  There is one spare day for contingencies.

Here it is (click on the bold text )