Bermuda Escape Cruises - insights, information, and more just on Bermuda

CCWineLover

1 hour ago, Stempy said:

I know that I would be asking for the sun, moon, and Milky Way, but it would be ideal if Viking linked with the Bermuda Tourist Board and included an approved Authorization Form with our cruise tickets.Where these are touted to be all passenger vaccinated cruises,  drop some of the red tape.

This would save us all such agita and stress especially for the June 15th departure which is on a Tuesday.

As was mentioned previously , we do need a negative Covid test three days before departure which would be on a Saturday. Hopefully results would be posted by Sunday.

Only then can we apply for an Authorization Form to include Covid results. Nothing is looked at on a Sunday.This takes us to Monday with a turnaround time for approval of at least 24 hours. We leave Boston on Tuesday morning at 8:30 AM not knowing if we will even be allowed on the island or the ship.

If anyone is enlightened by a Viking guru in the next few days, please share. We are all in the same predicament.

Time for a martini!

I must have missed where Bermuda doesn't do the travel authorizations of Sunday.  The website I saw said Between 9 am and 8 pm daily

I received this response IN WRITING

Re: Contact: Abbott BinaxNowAg Card Test

Good day,

At home PCR tests with guidance with a medical professional are accepted as pre-arrival tests.

COVID-19 Response Team

Government of Bermuda | Department of Health

Continental Building | 25 Church Street | Hamilton, Bermuda HM 12

P.O. Box HM 1195 l Hamilton, Bermuda HM EX 

Direct Telephone: 441 444 2498 | Email: coronavirus@gov.bm 
Edited by wzimmer1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, wzimmer1 said:

Good day,

At home PCR tests with guidance with a medical professional are accepted as pre-arrival tests.

COVID-19 Response Team

How did you get them to respond to you in writing?  I have sent 3-4 messages and zilch in response.  Thats is why I have called, but would really like stuff in writing.

25 minutes ago, wzimmer1 said:
  • Go to gov.bm  I chose to email them and they responded back very quickly    Also, the email link is in the above response that was sent back.coronavirus@gov.bm

• Questions or concerns about COVID-19? 

9am and 9pm

This is the email address I used for May 5, 2021.  I have yet to get a response.  I just sent off another one.  Thanks!

3 hours ago, MRGACRUZR said:

If anyone takes the time to do the math, it's nearly impossible to comply if you are travelling on a Tuesday or Wednesday. If someone has found a solution, please share. We really want to do this cruise.

Our son travels regularily between Vancouver and Germany, with a connection in London. He is also required to get a negative PCR test with 72 hours of landing in Germany. None of the regular tests work, so he books a rapid PCR test, which guarantees results within 12 hrs. If memory is correct, none of our local labs offer this service, so he had to book a test in Vancouver. 

It isn't cheap - about CAN $350.

If we have this option available in Canada, I expect the US will have vendors offering an equivalent service. Might have to travel, but I would be surprised they aren't available.

When returning from Germany on leave, he must meet the same standard, as Canada also requires a negative PCR test within 72 hrs of landing. 

18 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Our son travels regularily between Vancouver and Germany, with a connection in London. He is also required to get a negative PCR test with 72 hours of landing in Germany. None of the regular tests work, so he books a rapid PCR test, which guarantees results within 12 hrs. If memory is correct, none of our local labs offer this service, so he had to book a test in Vancouver. 

It isn't cheap - about CAN $350.

If we have this option available in Canada, I expect the US will have vendors offering an equivalent service. Might have to travel, but I would be surprised they aren't available.

When returning from Germany on leave, he must meet the same standard, as Canada also requires a negative PCR test within 72 hrs of landing. 

We actually have that option and when I first saw it, a week ago, I said who would pay $300 for a Covid test? I'm beginning to think it's me, if Viking doesn't have an imaginative plan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MRGACRUZR said:

We actually have that option and when I first saw it, a week ago, I said who would pay $300 for a Covid test? I'm beginning to think it's me, if Viking doesn't have an imaginative plan.

My fear exactly - even if all the logstics work as planned and you can actually take the cruise.

This is starting to sound like a real mess for Viking.

I have to believe there will be some negotiations to make some changes.  Look what airline people who just stay in Bermuda can do versus Cruise Ships.

Keeping fingers crossed, but will cancel at day 15 if it remains what it is today.  Viking - are you reading this forum??  I am sure that I'm not alone.

4 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

I just had a look at the 6/15 cruise listing on Viking and it seems that there are more cabins available than when I last looked.  Does this indicate cancellations, or does Viking play games with metering out cabins so that a cruise looks popular?

Cancellations (like ours) due to so much mystery around the Covid testing requirements would be my guess!

Has anyone heard whether mask-wearing will be mandatory (ashore) in Bermuda, and what the penalties might be for violations?

This question is motivated by the fact that we cruisers will be vaxxed and tested to a sufficient degree to be exempted IMO. But if not, I don’t want to be hit with a $500 (or whatever) fine. 

I’m getting close to pulling the eject levers. 

Edited by What was that?
Correction

6 minutes ago, What was that? said:

Has anyone heard whether mask-wearing will be mandatory (ashore) in Bermuda, and what the penalties might be for violations?

This question is motivated by the fact that we cruisers will be vaxxed and tested to a sufficient degree to be exempted IMO. But if not, I don’t want to be hit with a $500 (or whatever) fine. 

I’m getting close to pulling the eject levers. 

I believe masks will be required at all times (except eating) when on shore with the Viking Excursion bubble.   Yes, I think the eject lever is getting closer to being pulled all the time.

And still NOTHING from Viking.  The only hope is their silence is due to negotiations underway plus they don't want people to pull the plug, as several already have.  This was not thought out well.

Here 's some interesting items from the Bermuda Gazette:

New cases from recent airline passengers:      One was a visitor who arrived on the Jet Blue flight from Boston on May 8 and tested positive on arrival.    The second was a resident arrived on the BA flight from London on May 4 who tested positive on Day 4.  The last was a resident who arrived on the JetBlue flight from New York on April 30 and tested positive on Day 8.

Health officials said that there were 75 recoveries and one death over the weekend

Shore excursions are still not available and have not been for weeks for scheduling on My Viking Journey. We have visited the island several times before so do not mind walking around on our own.
At one time , Bermuda was not allowing any group tours on the island. Wonder if there is any change?

If excursions are put on hold, would there be some form of reparation such as shipboard credit?

Still cannot get an answer from Viking... “ We are working on it”. If situation does not change, will cancel right before the time window. Too many unanswered questions and concerns with no direction from Viking.

15 hours ago, wzimmer1 said:

Good day,

COVID-19 Response Team

That just shows how screwed up this whole process is. The Abbott BinaxNowg is an anigen test and the Bermuda government site specifically states that an antigen or antibody test is not acceptable.  Here is an excerpt from their site:

A valid pre-arrival test result must meet the following standards:

• Display travellers’ full name and date of birth
  • Date of Test must be no more than 5 days of arrival. The day of the test, is day 0. (For example, a pre-arrival COVID-19 PCR test taken on 4th December is valid for arrival on 9th December). 
  • Test result must be negative
  • Test type must be a PCR test. Note: The COVID-19 PCR test cannot be an antigen or antibody test. It must be a PCR test.
  • Test must be performed by an accredited laboratory
  • Display full name of laboratory and contact information for laboratory
Edited by MRGACRUZR
Additional information

6 minutes ago, MRGACRUZR said:

That just shows how screwed up this whole process is. The Abbott BinaxNowg is an anigen test and the Bermuda government site specifically states that an antigen or antibody test is not acceptable. 

The response appears to be a type of "form letter".  Notice it doesn't say this test is acceptable, just that any test that is a PCR test will do.

1 minute ago, bafinegan said:

The response appears to be a type of "form letter".  Notice it doesn't say this test is acceptable, just that any test that is a PCR test will do.

Exactly. I didn't want anyone to be misled by that post. The Abbott test in that post will have you sitting at home or hung up in an airport, unless things change between now and then.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stempy said:

Shore excursions are still not available and have not been for weeks for scheduling on My Viking Journey. We have visited the island several times before so do not mind walking around on our own.

Viking's COVID policy (Version 1) released with the Welcome Back cruises stated that shore leave is restricted to Viking shore-ex only, and when ashore you must remain within the group bubble.

No independent travel ashore is permitted, at this time.

The response appears to be a type of "form letter".  Notice it doesn't say this test is acceptable, just that any test that is a PCR test will do.

Definitely   not a form letter.The Bermuda government was responding to my detailed email.   The email clearly says This test IS acceptable .  BiNaxNow AG CARD Has now gotten approval from the CDC and can be used in various countries. And example of that is Mexico where my daughter just went and used this  test. Still, I agree with you that the government would need to put something out that is definitive on this in order to make everyone more comfortable.

Edited by wzimmer1

31 minutes ago, wzimmer1 said:

The response appears to be a type of "form letter".  Notice it doesn't say this test is acceptable, just that any test that is a PCR test will do.

Definitely   not a form letter.The Bermuda government was responding to my detailed email.   The email clearly says This test IS acceptable .  BiNaxNow AG CARD Has now gotten approval from the CDC and can be used in various countries. And example of that is Mexico where my daughter just went and used this  test. Still, I agree with you that the government would need to put something out that is definitive on this in order to make everyone more comfortable.

The response you posted specifically says that any *PCR* test is acceptable. The BiNaxNow test is an *Antigen* test. 

I hope they change their policy but as of this moment, their answer to you is accurate and very general, specifying PCR test. CDC approval or not, the CDC does not dictate Bermuda policy. Please visit this link. If you try to enter Bermuda with the antigen test, I wish you good luck.

https://www.gov.bm/coronavirus-pre-v-etted-travel-authorisation

Understood that CDC does not dictate Bermuda although there have been two confirmations on this forum that the BinaxNowAg Now is approved. There was one person also on here that Received a verbal confirmation and was also questioned.   It was stated to get it in writing which I did in a very clear and concise email .  I suggest you do your own research and contact Bermuda and get it in writing.  I also understand the risks of taking this test unless confirmed on the Bermuda government page.I wish the Bermuda government would make this clearer. You have to do what’s best for you . Best  wishes and happy sailing

Edited by wzimmer1

3 minutes ago, wzimmer1 said:

Understood that CDC does not dictate Bermuda although there have been two confirmations on this forum that the BinaxNowAg Now is approved. There was one person also on here that Received a verbal confirmation and was also questioned.   It was stated to get it in writing which I did in a very clear and concise email .  I suggest you do your own research and contact Bermuda and get it in writing.  I also understand the risks of taking this test unless confirmed on the Bermuda government page.I wish the Bermuda government would make this clearer. You have to do what’s best for you . Best  wishes and happy sailing

If your response from Bermuda is what you posted, it clearly states any  P  C  R  test is acceptable. BiNax IS NOT A PCR test. Not sure what additional research I can do. Not sure where the confusion or point of contest is.

Fact: your response from Bermuda states any PCR test is acceptable.

Fact: BiNax is an ANTIGEN test, not a PCR test.

Fact: Bermuda Policy from their website: Test type must be a PCR test. Note: The COVID-19 PCR test cannot be an antigen or antibody test. It must be a PCR test.

If there is more to your response from Bermuda than: "any PCR test is acceptable", we could benefit from that additional information. 

I have to agree with MRGACRUZR, the response from Bermuda as written does not “approve” the Binax test.  The test name is only mentioned in the subject line.  The body refers only to PCR tests.

Keep in mind that calls and emails to Bermuda about this are likely being answered by a harried, over-worked clerk with little to no medical knowledge.  Also keep in mind that the Travel Authorization vetters are likely in the same boat, and likely work from an ever-changing and incomplete list of approved tests and labs.

If your application is rejected, you will need solid backup for your position when you call the Bermuda helpline to argue your case.  At the same time as 500 other pax are trying to fight their rejected applications, with the two low-level clerks assigned to deal with the stark raving mad Americans screaming into the phone that they are going to miss their cruise....

Viking and Bermuda have to spell this out clearly and completely.  Now!

• Like 1