The Daily for Friday Apr 09, 2021

richwmn

Today is National Former POW Recognition Day, Dive Bar Day, and National Unicorn Day

"Money won't buy happiness, but it will pay the salaries of a large research staff to study the problem. - Bill Vaughan"

Meal suggestion for today - Potato Soup

Drink of the Day - Baileys Coffee Slushies

Wine of the day - Lail 2017 Blueprint Cabernet Sauvignon (Napa Valley) Napa

Port of the Day - Aomori Japan

At Sea English Channel
Oosterdam Destination Torquay eta 4/10

At Sea Mediterranian Sea
Zaandam Destination Augusta IT eta 4/10

At Sea Pacific
Nieuw Amsterdam Destination Los Angeles eta 4/15
Noordam Destination Los Angeles eta 4/10
Westerdam Destination La Paz MX eta 4/11

Corfu GR
Volendam

Great Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

La Paz MX
Koningsdam Anchorage
Zuiderdam Anchorage

Torquay UK
Eurodam Anchorage

0409West.thumb.png.b5817433d853c26538e5def3f0127c0d.png

0409East.thumb.png.cc27460c1fa3d55191ccb967f146ccc0.png

0409Med.thumb.png.cbdc14b803d7f15b7d608173bc492bf7.png

0409Eng.thumb.png.dc2d56cb10c68cf8e16f569a949d406b.png

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 4

Thank you for the TGIF Daily, Rich.  Kind of a strange collection of days.  Love the quote.  Been to several Japanese ports but not Amori.  I'll pass on the potato soup,  My alternative is Melange of Tropical Fruit, Chilled Sour Cherry Soup, Spaghetti Amartriciana, and Almond Fruit Cake as served on MS Zaandam April 9, 2017:

https://aroundamericabitbybit.files.wordpress.com/2017/04/dishes09.jpg

Today's care list:

Kakalina

Cruisin Terri trying to resolve identity theft

myself facing cardiac surgery

NextOne DH facing chemo

HorizonChaser1957'BIL

Jack Hanna

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy Anniversary AND Birthday luvteaching

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

43 years for erewhon

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3

Good morning, everyone!

I am so happy with my pedicure.  Not only do my feet look beautiful, but they feel good as well.  The pedicurist said things are picking up as more people get vaccinated.  I guess I'm not the only one who waited for that to go back and get my tootsies done.  The water fitness instructors have noticed the same.  We are seeing more people in class as they get vaccinated.  

Today's agenda is to go to water fitness, work the weight machines and stop at the grocery store.  It is supposed to rain this morning, but clearing for this afternoon for a nice day, although a bit cooler.  Still nice temperatures, just not the 82 we had yesterday.  

Today's meal sounds good, but high on the starches (carbs).   My great grandmother was known for her great potato soup.  I found the recipe on a cousin's fridge and copied it down for our family cookbook.  

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/potato-soup/

1 cup: 289 calories, 19g fat (11g saturated fat), 59mg cholesterol, 848mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.

Potato-Soup_EXPS_CWDJ17_44986_C08_19_5b.jpg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

Good morning.  Happy Friday!  Thanks for the Daily Report.

An interesting collection of days.

Love the quote.

The dinner suggestion sounds good, so does Roy's alternate.   Decisions, decisions.

Looking forward to seeing the recipe for the drink of the day and a description of the wine.

Another port I've never visited so I will thank everyone in advance for the pictures.

I heard that there is a possible volcano eruption on the island of St Vincent.  Sending prayers for everyone in the affected area.

We had a light rain overnight, more in the forecast.  Good for the grass seed we put down yesterday.

Have a good day.  Stay safe.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  Very sad news about Jack Hanna and RIP Prince Philip.  Wore a POW bracelet for several years and stayed up until 4 am to watch that soldier walk off a plane.  Cried so hard.  Love dive bars and unicorns.  Very interesting and true quote.

The soup looks and sounds delicious.  Thank you Debbie for the recipe.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and please wear your mask.

Bailey's Coffee Slushies:

Ingredients
  • 2¼ c. cold brew, divided
  • ½ c. milk
  • ¼ c. Baileys Irish Cream
  • ¼ c. vodka
  • Whipped cream, for garnish
  • Chocolate sauce, for garnish
  • Caramel sauce, for garnish

Instructions
  1. Fill an ice cube tray with 2 cups cold brew. Freeze until solid, 2 to 3 hours.
  2. Combine frozen coffee cubes with remaining cold brew, milk, Baileys, and vodka in blender. Blend until smooth.
  3. Drizzle chocolate and caramel into each of your glasses. Divide slushy evenly between glasses, then top with whipped cream, more caramel and more chocolate. Serve with straws.

Screen Shot 2021-04-09 at 7.27.18 AM.png

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! I appreciate the sacrifice that all POWs made, and choose to celebrate them. 

Thank you for our lists, Roy! Morning Dailyites and my Sisters. 

@luvteaching enjoy your double celebration day. 

35952F92-F506-4C48-B7F8-A63A296EDD4C.jpeg.8e05e8d5a8d0b2b2edf7e20bfa6ee926.jpeg11A9BCA1-8FEC-4D25-A9F3-C6EA2C5F9F82.jpeg.3a0db13ead940231789a8ce4d35a6d75.jpeg

Fun quote. Pass on the meal. The drink sounds good. Another lovely morning, but storms are predicted for late tomorrow. We need the rain. 
I need to get out and trim some things in the garden - after Zumba, of course. Ooh, and I get my haircut today, too!

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

What would you pay for the wine picked as #1 by Wine Enthusiast,  whose all released vintages have an excellent to spectacular rating? Though I found half bottles on sale for less than $50, the cheapest price I found online for a bottle was $84.99.

Winemaker Notes

#1 Wine Enthusiast Top 100 of 2020

Blueprint Cabernet Sauvignon 2017 is deep ruby with purple edges in color, with exotic aromas of ripe red plum, bittersweet chocolate, black cherry and loganberry. Spicy flavors of ollalieberry, blackberry, and boysenberry add further intrigue and complexity. Its texture is round, lush, creamy, and perfectly balanced.

WE97 Wine Enthusiast: Made by Philippe Melka and his team, this is a grippy, earthy wine, vibrant in blue fruit, plum and sage. Round, lush and opulent on the palate, it glides seamlessly across supple, integrated tannin and oak, effortlessly incorporating 11% Merlot and 6% Petit Verdot. The vineyard sources range from the producer’s Mole Hill Estate on Howell Mountain to the cooler reaches of Coombsville. 
JS92 James Suckling: A rich, juicy red with lots of blackberry, blueberry and tar character. Medium to full body, velvety tannins and a delicious finish. Some graphite at the end. Mostly cabernet sauvignon but 11% merlot (rare) and 6% petit verdot. Really enjoyable now. Drink or hold.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Good morning.  Very sad news about Jack Hanna and RIP Prince Philip.  Wore a POW bracelet for several years and stayed up until 4 am to watch that soldier walk off a plane.  Cried so hard. 

Rest in peace, Prince Philip...God bless his soul.

I wore a POW bracelet for many years, too -- engraved with the name of Sgt. Victor Pirker.   It wasn't until many years later, visiting the Vietnam Memorial in Washington D.C., that I learned he was counted among those deceased.  That was a very gut-wrenching moment.

Kind of a sad day.  I think I'll focus on the Unicorn part.   🌈

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the Daiy, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Definitely our former POW’s deserve recognition for their suffering and determination to survive.  My uncle (RIP) was a POW for several years and shared some of the struggle with me.

Love the quote by Vaughan.  That just about sums it up.  

I’ll pass on the meal suggestion since we just had soup last night.  With that yummy ham bone, I just HAD to make pea soup 😉 

A184C695-AD55-4061-9B45-B41897EAC3C5.thumb.jpeg.ebbbb4b0fc73126f09158b3c934ff11c.jpeg

I did successfully free the BBQ from the garage yesterday so it will definitely be BBQ’d steak tonight.  

RIP Prince Phillip.  I know her Majesty will miss you greatly 😢 

@luvteaching hope you have a great celebration day and many more 🥂 

I can’t help with today’s port as we didn’t get to Japan last year so a thank you to those who share pics and experiences.

Looks like we might have a nice day - now, the big question is, do I work outside or inside?  I think we all know the answer to that one 😉 

9F54FDD6-F9CA-421E-9AA6-3DD3BD9CDB82.jpeg.b9d5fd3f0362e5816a5c590368f8eb39.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Friday, everyone.

CF1D4095-A1CA-46B6-B00D-21A48FC8FAC1.thumb.jpeg.68a7f584e4449c455f02843067ef08e0.jpeg

Stay safe and please, don’t forget to wear your masks 😷 

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Today's sunrise is from my 2014 3-ship Crystal/HAL combination (Symphony-Serenity-Amsterdam) combination Bali-Singapore-Cape Town-Ft. Lauderdale.  On April 9 MS Amsterdam was at sea from St. Helena to Ascension Island:

dawn0409.jpg

Roy

• Like 29

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Great respect for all POW's, have visited a couple of dive bars, and am still looking for the elusive unicorn.

Sad day throughout Great Britain with the passing of Prince Philip.  May he rest in peace.

A happy day in our house, because on this day in 1977, we were married - today we celebrate 44 years together.  We've had ups and downs, laughter and tears, but have remained fast friends and in love throughout it all.  We are blessed, because of the 5 couples we started out with, we are the only couple still together today.

While not a fan of potato soup, I won't be cooking today - because it's our anniversary, I get the day off, so DH will be going out for take-out breakfast for us, and for dinner tonight we'll order in from our favourite Italian restaurant and dine on the deck.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they need it.  Raising the wine glasses tonight to celebrate all on the happy list.  Be well, stay safe, wash your hands and wear your mask(s).

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 31

Good morning everyone. Strange group of days. All POWs are heros in my book. I like the quote and Roy’s alternate meal suggestion.

My cleaning help is coming today after a month’s absence. Her daughter had covid and we wouldn’t let her in the house. We plan on leaving and taking a ride while she’s here and then opening all the windows when we get back.

Rest in peace, Prince Phillip. Wonder if Harry will go home for the funeral.

Stay safe everyone and wear your mask. People are getting covid after being vaccinated. My grandson got his first shot at University of Rochester yesterday.

Carol

• Like 17

11 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Great respect for all POW's, have visited a couple of dive bars, and am still looking for the elusive unicorn.

Sad day throughout Great Britain with the passing of Prince Philip.  May he rest in peace.

A happy day in our house, because on this day in 1977, we were married - today we celebrate 44 years together.  We've had ups and downs, laughter and tears, but have remained fast friends and in love throughout it all.  We are blessed, because of the 5 couples we started out with, we are the only couple still together today.

While not a fan of potato soup, I won't be cooking today - because it's our anniversary, I get the day off, so DH will be going out for take-out breakfast for us, and for dinner tonight we'll order in from our favourite Italian restaurant and dine on the deck.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they need it.  Raising the wine glasses tonight to celebrate all on the happy list.  Be well, stay safe, wash your hands and wear your mask(s).

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Happy anniversary! Wishing you many more.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Good  morning and  a  very  Happy  Anniversary  to  @ger_77!

I  was  sorry  to  hear  about Prince  Phillip. It  has  to  be  difficult  to  mourn  a  loved one when  their  lives  are  so  public.

All  POW's  are  heroes as  far  as  I  am  concerned. My  dive  bar  days  are  over  but  I  still  search  for  unicorns. I  love  potato  soup in  any  form  and  will  try  that  recipe,thanks Debbie.

Have  a  lovely  day everyone.              Terry

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

A happy day in our house, because on this day in 1977, we were married - today we celebrate 44 years together.

Happy Anniversary Gerry & Maurice 🥂 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning.

My late father-in-law, then an American naval officer, survived the Bataan Death March in the Phillipines which began April 9, 1942, and prisoner of war camps until the end the war.  We always knew he had been there, but he never talked about his ordeal.  After he died in 1998 my mother-in-law finally showed us a daily diary he had written on small paper with a tiny pencil while imprisoned.  His failing hand writing through the years clearly shows his struggle.  Thank you to all military past and present.

Stay safe and well everyone.

Thanks, prayers and cheers!

Cindy

• Like 27