The Daily for Saturday Apr 10, 2021

richwmn

This just appeared on my news app.

"The funeral service for Prince Philip, the husband of Queen Elizabeth, will be held on April 17, Buckingham Palace said on Saturday, confirming that Prince Harry was planning to attend."

It doesn't mention Meghan.  

• Like 13

6 hours ago, richwmn said:

At Sea Pacific
Noordam Destination Los Angeles eta 4/10

Noordam off Newport Beach (Orange County) as we speak, heading for San Pedro/Port of L.A. at 6.4 knots 

HAL NODM IV in Willemstad, Curacao.jpg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

@smitty34877  I agree about the store with the masks.  I've been in a few where the sign said you must wear a mask when entering, only to find some shoppers then took the masks off until they got to the check out line.  It was many months before I returned to one particular store.  And I've seen more noses sticking out above masks than I care to remember.  Unfortunately for us in Arizona and Texas, curbside pickup is not an option.  There is one store in our little town in Texas that offers curbside pick-up, but since our cell phones don't work in town, that is not an option.  I just try to go very early in the day and always wear my mask.  It is better now that we've both been fully vaccinated.

@Cruising-along  Love the picture of Prince Phillip and the story.  The Queen does look amused.

@DeeniEncinitas  Enjoy your stay in Maui.  You've earned a rest after all your work giving shots.  Good to know your baby bird has safely fledged.  

As I mentioned in the previous post, in 2014 on the Veendam, our tour took us to a local school and a banana plantation.  There was an unscheduled stop at the local church.  The church ladies had prepared a lunch for us which was quite good with local foods.  There was a discrete donation box, which we all gladly added too.

These are just a few of the imagines from the school.  The fathers greeted us with a marimba concert. 

DSC00949.thumb.JPG.58683b82e6d63d08c0693968106cf6a6.JPG

This is a typical classroom.

DSC00955.thumb.JPG.1ebdea3d1133d13250a05ff367b9690d.JPG

The students performed their local dances for us.  Before we arrived at the school, our guide gave each of us a packet of school supplies (cost included in the tour cost).  We figured we'd give the packets to one student each.  Instead, we were told to open them and talk to the kids before giving them one item from the packet.  The way the kids converged on us, reminded me of sea gulls when you throw breadcrumbs at them.

DSC00965.thumb.JPG.cabc3f3d0c3348901eb6730776a4c56c.JPG

This is the inside of the church.  Unfortunately, I don't seem to have a picture of the lunch.

DSC00969.thumb.JPG.4c76803d5fef5212e42905103b77905a.JPG

After lunch, we headed to the banana plantation which is close to the border with Guatemala.  At that time, most of the workers at the plantation and packing facility were Guatemalans, as they could make more money working in Mexico.  We thought that was rather ironic.

Of course, the first stop was the banana plants where our guide explained a lot about them.

DSC00972.thumb.JPG.9036ccff93bb957338cded1238719783.JPG

The banana stalks are first washed before being packed.  The ones that do not meet the standard for export, are loaded loose in a truck for local use.  You can see the truck in the background.

DSC00985.thumb.JPG.b05adc55fe3e8f28f338255d217560ee.JPG

Those little stickers on the bananas when they get to the store are put on by hand, with at least one sticker per bunch.  They pack the bananas for several different brands.  That day they were packing for Dole.

DSC00989.thumb.JPG.a728d5aa0e5bbc12d4c89c50ff3cb07d.JPG

DSC00992.thumb.JPG.c1991ac41ce051e175a9c0b2f7e22221.JPG

Lenda

• Like 25

Latest bit of news about Prince Philip's funeral -

"Prince Harry plans to attend the funeral for the Duke of Edinburgh, which is to be held on April 17. Meghan, who is pregnant, has been advised by her doctor to avoid flying so she will not be in attendance."

• Like 12

Good Afternoon Everyone from a warm and sunny day at the beach.

Very late to the party today. DS asked me last nite to play golf with him this morning. He said it would help his arm that was sore from yesterdays vaccine. LOL. Had a good time.

Have been to several ports in Mexico but not that one. Enjoyed the pictures.

Today is Saturday so it is pizza day followed by Lawrence Welk on PBS. I know I am really dating myself but DD loves the music.

Be safe and enjoy today.

Charlene

• Like 14

Thanks for the daily Rich, I am so glad this have been kept up over the years. I have just recently have more time on my hands to be able to spend time here on the HAL Board. It appears this daily thread has been good out reach/therapy for the rough year many have had especially for those of us that have withdrawals from walking that gangway to our next ship. 

Life has slowed down for Tom and I, he is totally retired, I am now semi retired or at least not working two jobs. But the good thing is we are healthy and totally vaccinated household that is ready to travel. 

Thanks again Rich for keep many here on the HAL Board connected. This board has always been a very supportive close knit community and it is great we have those dedicated to keep this happening. 

• Like 21

7 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Saturday Daily, Rich.  Lots of Dailyites will be hugging their dogs.  Global Work From Home Day seems to be every day in these times.  Our young writers deserve our encouragement.  Port Chiapas is a pretty popular port.  Love the quote but will wait to see what @dfish comes up on the meal.  My alternative is Chilled Sour Cherry Soup, Fruit Cup Au Natural and Oven Roasted Beef Tenderloin as served on MS Amsterdam April 10, 2014.  A question particularly for Canadians:  How long should Prince Phillip be on the Care List:

Today's care list:

Kakalina

St. Vincent

myself facing cardiac surgery

NextOne DH facing chemo

HorizonChaser1957'BIL

RIP Prince Phillip

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

44 years for ger_77

Sharon’s DD for seeing the light on vaccination

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

How long do you think we should pray for the repose of the soul of Prince Philip, the late spouse of Queen Elizabeth II?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Thanks for the daily Rich, I am so glad this have been kept up over the years. I have just recently have more time on my hands to be able to spend time here on the HAL Board. It appears this daily thread has been good out reach/therapy for the rough year many have had especially for those of us that have withdrawals from walking that gangway to our next ship. 

Life has slowed down for Tom and I, he is totally retired, I am now semi retired or at least not working two jobs. But the good thing is we are healthy and totally vaccinated household that is ready to travel. 

Thanks again Rich for keep many here on the HAL Board connected. This board has always been a very supportive close knit community and it is great we have those dedicated to keep this happening. 

Rich: LaffinVegas used to used to post HAL ship locations years ago. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone.

Another warm, sunny day on tap here before the cold front moves in early evening.  I'm going to head to the pool this morning and get an extra day in this week.  

Today's meal has several variations.  Many are made from crescent rolls or pizza dough.  I'm offering two recipes here so you can take your pick.  People report using different cheeses and different sources for the chicken in order to avoid using the chicken out of the can.  I think I would go with the pizza dough and shred my own chicken.  I'd use mozzarella cheese instead of cheddar or perhaps a pepper jack.  

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/buffalo-chicken-crescent-rolls/

http://www.certifiedpastryaficionado.com/buffalo-chicken-pockets/

Buffalo-Chicken-Cresent-Rolls_EXPS_TOHFM20_150307_E09_19_7b-3.jpg

Buffalo-Chicken-Pockets_IMG_5688.jpg

Frankly I prefer Roy's alternative

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

Latest bit of news about Prince Philip's funeral -

"Prince Harry plans to attend the funeral for the Duke of Edinburgh, which is to be held on April 17. Meghan, who is pregnant, has been advised by her doctor to avoid flying so she will not be in attendance."

That is a tasteful way to handle it. If they both attended, the paparazzi would turn the funeral into a gossip rag circus.
Not to mention the math: Long plane ride + pregnancy + pandemic = not good.

• Like 13

16 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Welcome to the Daily.

Roy

• Like 8

Hello All,

It is evening here, sitting in front of the laptop watching the Masters on the TV and a glass of wine in hand.  It surely is a hard life.

Zaandam has departed Sicily and is heading to Cyprus to the Moni Anchorage, in Akrotiri Bay, which is off the coast from Limassol,  Interesting position.  Cruises from Cyprus anyone?

• Like 14

Rich:  Thank you for posting the DAILY fleet report.  I was most happy to see LAFFINVEGAS posting on this thread.  Thanks to all poster and readers of the thread. It will be good when the ships are back doing cruises. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Hello All,

It is evening here, sitting in front of the laptop watching the Masters on the TV and a glass of wine in hand.  It surely is a hard life.

Zaandam has departed Sicily and is heading to Cyprus to the Moni Anchorage, in Akrotiri Bay, which is off the coast from Limassol,  Interesting position.  Cruises from Cyprus anyone?

Colin:  Thank you for the information on the Zaandam and I hope you are enjoying the Masters.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

@smitty34877  I agree about the store with the masks.  I've been in a few where the sign said you must wear a mask when entering, only to find some shoppers then took the masks off until they got to the check out line.  It was many months before I returned to one particular store.  And I've seen more noses sticking out above masks than I care to remember.  Unfortunately for us in Arizona and Texas, curbside pickup is not an option.  There is one store in our little town in Texas that offers curbside pick-up, but since our cell phones don't work in town, that is not an option.  I just try to go very early in the day and always wear my mask.  It is better now that we've both been fully vaccinated.

@Cruising-along  Love the picture of Prince Phillip and the story.  The Queen does look amused.

@DeeniEncinitas  Enjoy your stay in Maui.  You've earned a rest after all your work giving shots.  Good to know your baby bird has safely fledged.  

As I mentioned in the previous post, in 2014 on the Veendam, our tour took us to a local school and a banana plantation.  There was an unscheduled stop at the local church.  The church ladies had prepared a lunch for us which was quite good with local foods.  There was a discrete donation box, which we all gladly added too.

These are just a few of the imagines from the school.  The fathers greeted us with a marimba concert. 

DSC00949.thumb.JPG.58683b82e6d63d08c0693968106cf6a6.JPG

This is a typical classroom.

DSC00955.thumb.JPG.1ebdea3d1133d13250a05ff367b9690d.JPG

The students performed their local dances for us.  Before we arrived at the school, our guide gave each of us a packet of school supplies (cost included in the tour cost).  We figured we'd give the packets to one student each.  Instead, we were told to open them and talk to the kids before giving them one item from the packet.  The way the kids converged on us, reminded me of sea gulls when you throw breadcrumbs at them.

DSC00965.thumb.JPG.cabc3f3d0c3348901eb6730776a4c56c.JPG

This is the inside of the church.  Unfortunately, I don't seem to have a picture of the lunch.

DSC00969.thumb.JPG.4c76803d5fef5212e42905103b77905a.JPG

After lunch, we headed to the banana plantation which is close to the border with Guatemala.  At that time, most of the workers at the plantation and packing facility were Guatemalans, as they could make more money working in Mexico.  We thought that was rather ironic.

Of course, the first stop was the banana plants where our guide explained a lot about them.

DSC00972.thumb.JPG.9036ccff93bb957338cded1238719783.JPG

The banana stalks are first washed before being packed.  The ones that do not meet the standard for export, are loaded loose in a truck for local use.  You can see the truck in the background.

DSC00985.thumb.JPG.b05adc55fe3e8f28f338255d217560ee.JPG

Those little stickers on the bananas when they get to the store are put on by hand, with at least one sticker per bunch.  They pack the bananas for several different brands.  That day they were packing for Dole.

DSC00989.thumb.JPG.a728d5aa0e5bbc12d4c89c50ff3cb07d.JPG

DSC00992.thumb.JPG.c1991ac41ce051e175a9c0b2f7e22221.JPG

Lenda

Thank you for the wonderful pictures. I have only gotten to visit a school once in my cruises. (I love that the musicians seem to be the welcoming committee for the banos 😀). 

I was told one time not to buy coffee beans at the groceries in Guatemala, Costa Rica, etc., because they export the best beans so you are better off buying them at home for quality. I must say though, the best beans I ever bought were from a little family on the side of the road in Huatulco. The beans were just wrapped in brown paper with their family name written on it. Maybe part of the good taste was the vacation memories.

St Louis Sal.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, USN59-79 said:

That is one brave cat!

I've seen that picture with the title "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil..."    Fitting!

Edited by NextOne
  • Like 9
  • Haha 4