New to HAL- Again! Questions...

TracieABD

Hi friends-

It has been over 10 years since I have sailed on HAL, but I have been on over 25 cruises (most with Princess).

I have booked a solo cruise to Indonesia in December of 2021.- Hopefully, it will actually sail, and they will allow my American-self into Singapore.

I have a few questions for you seasoned HAL cruisers. (Yes, I used the "search feature" exhaustively, but it is not really working for me...):

1. Do I get double Mariner points for being solo in a cabin?
  2. Is there a "coffee card" for the Explorations Cafe?
  3. Does anyone have a link to the CCL stock-holders form? What are the benefits? (14 day cruise, inside room)
  4. What is the best thing to know about the Noordam?
  5. Does the Noordam have a Thermal Suite? What is cost? Is it worth it?

That is all I can think of for now... there will be more, I promise.

Also, as it is typically my habit to write a "live from" for my cruise, I would be willing to do one for this thread- if there is interest. It is a super unique itinerary-- so there is that. 

Thanks for all of your help!

Tracie-Lynn

No double points for sailing solo, unfortunately.  It would be nice if they'd give us whatever "extra" we're paying - 200% should be double points, 175% should be 75% extra points 😉  As a solo you only get double if you book a Superior Suite, Neptune Suite, or Pinnacle Suite.

There used to be a card for Explorations Cafe, but that was years ago and I'm not sure they still have it.  If you're a 3-star mariner you'll get 25% off when you buy coffee there, and at 4&5 star it's 50% off.

Don't have a link to the shareholder benefit.  My longest cruises are 11 days, and I get $100 for those sailings.  Not sure where the cut-off is where it's bumped up to a higher onboard credit.

Noordam is a great ship - enjoy Tamarind & the bar there is also lovely.  It does have a thermal suite - I don't use those so have no idea on the pricing.

And yes - please do a trip report here!

Sue/WDW1972

• Thanks 1

There isn't a form.  You need to send them current proof (like a statement from whoever holds the stock) that you own at least 100 shares along with your cruise booking #, your name and Mariner number.  You can email it now because your cruise happens before July 2022 when the next year's benefits are published.

Email it to:  world_cruise_reservations@hollandamerica.com

• Thanks 1

As a solo you only get double if you book a Superior Suite, Neptune Suite, or Pinnacle Suite.

__________________________________________________-

It is Signature Suite not Superior and we have received double days for Vista Suites too.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TracieABD said:

Does the Noordam have a Thermal Suite? What is cost? Is it worth it?

Yes, it has a Thermal Suite. Since Noordam has the big thermal pool, it's totally worth it if the schedule of the cruise allows you to utilize it enough to get your money's worth.  Cost will depend on the length of the cruise and how long you want it for.  If you can find someone to split the cost of a "double" package with you once onboard, it will save you money.   These prices are from our 40 day cruise on Noordam in the fall of 2019:

$797 single/ $1,227 double for full 40 days; $40/70 per day; $279/429 for 14 days

PS - someone mentioned Tamarind ... Noordam does not have one.

Edited by zelker
  • Thanks 1

Just now, TracieABD said:

Does HAL still allow you to bring on non-alcoholic beverages? Is there a limit?

Yes, still allowed and no limit that we've ever run into.  And you're allowed 1 bottle per person (up to 750ml) of wine or champagne without paying a corkage fee.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, zelker said:

Yes, still allowed and no limit that we've ever run into.  And you're allowed 1 bottle per person (up to 750ml) of wine or champagne without paying a corkage fee.

Thank you for all of your help! You rock!

• Like 1

I spent 15 days on Noordam in 2019 before her refurbishment.  I loved the ship but sure wish it did have Tamarind!  Also, I still get fried when as a solo I pay double for a veranda cabin and don't get double cruise day points......but, I still go as I really have enjoyed my HAL cruises!

Have a wonderful cruise!

~Nancy

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Djptcp said:

As a solo you only get double if you book a Superior Suite, Neptune Suite, or Pinnacle Suite.

__________________________________________________-

It is Signature Suite not Superior and we have received double days for Vista Suites too.

Sorry for getting Signature vs Superior wrong.  Didn't it used to be Superior many years ago??  I purposely didn't mention Vista Suites because I don't believe they have them on Noordam.  Could be wrong, though 😉 

Sue/WDW1972

We've been sailing HAL since 2004 and I don't think there were any suites designated Superior BUT I do sort of remember some of the Verandah staterooms being called Superior (which are likely the Cat A and AA now).  OR that might have been on a different cruise line entirely!  🤪

You are correct, no Vista Suites on any of the Vista-class ships.

6 hours ago, wdw1972 said:

Sorry for getting Signature vs Superior wrong.  Didn't it used to be Superior many years ago??  I purposely didn't mention Vista Suites because I don't believe they have them on Noordam.  Could be wrong, though 😉 

Sue/WDW1972

It did.  Just as the Neptune Suites used to be called Deluxe Verandahs.

But that is a long time ago and you and I are both dating ourselves 😉  If memory serves and mine can be short these days it was probably 2 decades ago 😉 

22 minutes ago, kazu said:

It did.  Just as the Neptune Suites used to be called Deluxe Verandahs.

But that is a long time ago and you and I are both dating ourselves 😉  If memory serves and mine can be short these days it was probably 2 decades ago 😉 

Sounds about right 😉  That was before the Signature class of ship, which I would guess is when it would have changed to Signature Suite.  My first HAL cruise was 1997, so I've been around a while!

Sue

2 minutes ago, wdw1972 said:

Sounds about right 😉  That was before the Signature class of ship, which I would guess is when it would have changed to Signature Suite.  My first HAL cruise was 1997, so I've been around a while!

Sue

That is probably why, Sue.  Never thought about it like that.  There was a lot of confusion on the verandah and Deluxe verandah suites way back when.

Our first HAL cruise was in 1988 IIRC - on the old N Amsterdam.  Fabulous ship and cruise!

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I am looking on the website to confirm my bed configuration.  I cannot seem to locate it.  Can anybody help?

Check the confirmation you received after you booked it - it shows it on there.

Edited by zelker

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

I don't have a confirmation e-mail, but my booking does show on their website.

Did you book with HAL, PCC or TA?

A confirmation always comes for me no matter which one I book with.

I would definitely ask for it no matter which you chose to book with.  JMO.

It’s a 4 page document - the rest page has your cabin, bed configuration, dining, payment and amount owing, etc., 

the 2nd has the cancellation start dates, any perks included, etc.  Two very key pages.

44 minutes ago, kazu said:

Did you book with HAL, PCC or TA?

A confirmation always comes for me no matter which one I book with.

I would definitely ask for it no matter which you chose to book with.  JMO.

It’s a 4 page document - the rest page has your cabin, bed configuration, dining, payment and amount owing, etc., 

the 2nd has the cancellation start dates, any perks included, etc.  Two very key pages.

I booked with a TA and got a confirmation from them but nothing from HAL.  Nothing in my spam folder either.  I just sent an e-mail to the TA asking if I should have gotten an e-mail confirmation directly from HAL.  (My booking shows on the HAL website, just no comprehensive details to be found there other than cabin assignment.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to me.

Just now, Daniel A said:

I booked with a TA and got a confirmation from them but nothing from HAL.  Nothing in my spam folder either.  I just sent an e-mail to the TA asking if I should have gotten an e-mail confirmation directly from HAL.  (My booking shows on the HAL website, just no comprehensive details to be found there other than cabin assignment.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to me.

If you booked with a TA, they should send you the HAL confirmation.

HAL sends it to them and they should send it to you.

I use a TA and always get the confirmation.  Hope that helps?

• Thanks 1

On 4/11/2021 at 1:44 PM, wdw1972 said:

Noordam is a great ship - enjoy Tamarind & the bar there is also lovely. 

I was on the Noordam in July 2019 and she does not have a Tamarind specialty restaurant and bar, I wish she did as it is our favorite restaurant in the HAL fleet. Only the Signature and Pinnacle class ships have the Tamarind restaurant.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I was on the Noordam in July 2019 and she does not have a Tamarind specialty restaurant and bar, I wish she did as it is our favorite restaurant in the HAL fleet. Only the Signature and Pinnacle class ships have the Tamarind restaurant.

Tamarind Is GREAT..

• Like 1