Face Masks and Cruising

Hello fellow RCL cruisers!

I have a question and a warning to give in this post. My question is, assuming that the CDC allows cruises to sail this summer, will face masks be required? Since it appears that a negative PCR test and full vaccinations will be required for everyone on the boat, will they still mandate face masks?

The reason why I ask this question rolls right into my warning. Last October (2020) I spent a week in Vegas. I did my regular routine. Booked a suite at the cosmo, booked a daybed at the pool, made restaurant reservations, gambled at the Aria and booked a table at a nightclub (only nightclub open really). Same routine, different results this time. It ended up being not only the least amount of fun I have had in Vegas but it also landed in my top three worst trips ever. I know what you are thinking, oh boy we have another anti masker crying up a storm. Not true my friends. Thanks to my job I am one of the rare people who has been able to travel freely around the world during this crisis. I wear my mask even in countries that do not require them. I wear mask on 10+ hours long flights. What I am talking about is spending thousands of dollars to be constantly monitored and unreasonably nagged during your vacation.

Remember that daybed at the outside pool I mentioned? Imagine being outside at the pool, ten feet away from anyone else and security is walking around telling people that if they are not eating and drinking then the mask must be on. "No problem", you think. You are drinking pina coladas and talking to your friends, it should be no big deal. The security is back again breathing down your neck however because you must be ACTIVELY drinking. So after you are done sipping, the mask must go back on. Sip, mask, sip, mask. The entire trip was like that in all locations (except for Freemont which was the wild wild west). You were constantly breaking some over the top covid rule and you were always being scolded about it. I have many examples but I think you get the gist. It just sucked the enjoyment right out of the trip. I have a friend who the same thing happened to her at a Disney resort. She refuses to go anywhere for vacation now that has a strict mask policy.

So my warning is this, if cruising starts again and RCL maintains its current mask policy then you should consider canceling. I love cruises, in fact i'm managing a RCL cruise group hoping to sail this September. We each have suites reserved, packages booked and everyone is excited. We will all be canceling however if that mask requirement stays. We simply won't pay a company to tell us sip mask, sip mask on a boat with fully vaccinated people.    

-Cheers!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, chrisness said:

I have a question and a warning to give in this post. My question is, assuming that the CDC allows cruises to sail this summer, will face masks be required? Since it appears that a negative PCR test and full vaccinations will be required for everyone on the boat, will they still mandate face masks?

Well, despite being asked for scientific evidence that masks work and giving no answer, Dr. F.  says even vaccinated wear 2 masks.  Even though the CDC says vaccinated people don't spread COVID and it's okay to mingle, Dr. F. says wear 2 masks and prepare for surge #4.  Even though areas with very strict lockdowns has just as many cases as those more open (COVID is APOLITICAL) , Dr. F. says wear two masks and stay inside with the germs in the air. 

So as long as Dr. F. says wear 2 masks, cruise lines will require masks.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Went to Disney for a week in November and was not policed in any way.  Why?  Because we all wore our masks appropriately.  Yup I am a rules follower and I don’t get to decide how/when to follow them.  I didn’t expect the trip to be a “normal “ one and it wasn’t but we had a fantastic time.

• Like 16

4 hours ago, chrisness said:

So my warning is this, if cruising starts again and RCL maintains its current mask policy then you should consider canceling. I love cruises, in fact i'm managing a RCL cruise group hoping to sail this September. We each have suites reserved, packages booked and everyone is excited. We will all be canceling however if that mask requirement stays. We simply won't pay a company to tell us sip mask, sip mask on a boat with fully vaccinated people.    

-Cheers!

I went to Vegas back in July of 2020 to celebrate my brother's 50th.  Masks were mandated.  Wore mine. Still had a great time because I enjoyed being with the people that we went with.  Probably the smallest crowds we've ever seen out there.  It was crazy to see the strip that empty.  We'll be heading back out at some point this year for my daughter's 21st.  If masks are still required then we'll wear them.  For us, it's about spending time with our friends and family and masks won't prevent us from having a good time.

We're also booked on a couple of cruises in September 21 and Jan 22.  Also going with friends.  Same situation.  If masks are required, we'll wear them. If not, that's cool too.

My warning is this. If you book something knowing there is or may be a mask mandate/policy, don't expect it to change or complain when it is enforced.  

Welcome to CC by the way!

• Like 15

We will all be canceling however if that mask requirement stays

Welcome to CC.

Cancel everything in the planner first, downgarde to the cheapest cabin, make final payment, wait for RCI to cancel the sailing and opt for the refund.

• Like 3

I seriously doubt that you'll have any problems on your Sept 2021 cruise w/ face covering, i.e. masks. It'll be very difficult for Royal to enforce this type of rule when the cruise will be cancelled. Yes. I'm one that believes there will NOT be any cruises out of US ports for another large portion of time. 

• Like 4

Another mask policy thread... joy!

If you don't want to wear a mask, you might as well cancel now.

My family has a cruise booked for January and we plan to follow whatever safety protocols are in place. And we will have a great time even if we are wearing masks!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

The reason why I ask this question rolls right into my warning. Last October (2020) I spent a week in Vegas. I did my regular routine. Booked a suite at the cosmo, booked a daybed at the pool, made restaurant reservations, gambled at the Aria and booked a table at a nightclub (only nightclub open really). Same routine, different results this time. It ended up being not only the least amount of fun I have had in Vegas but it also landed in my top three worst trips ever. I know what you are thinking, oh boy we have another anti masker crying up a storm. Not true my friends. Thanks to my job I am one of the rare people who has been able to travel freely around the world during this crisis. I wear my mask even in countries that do not require them. I wear mask on 10+ hours long flights. What I am talking about is spending thousands of dollars to be constantly monitored and unreasonably nagged during your vacation.

Remember that daybed at the outside pool I mentioned? Imagine being outside at the pool, ten feet away from anyone else and security is walking around telling people that if they are not eating and drinking then the mask must be on. "No problem", you think. You are drinking pina coladas and talking to your friends, it should be no big deal. The security is back again breathing down your neck however because you must be ACTIVELY drinking. So after you are done sipping, the mask must go back on. Sip, mask, sip, mask. The entire trip was like that in all locations (except for Freemont which was the wild wild west). You were constantly breaking some over the top covid rule and you were always being scolded about it. I have many examples but I think you get the gist. It just sucked the enjoyment right out of the trip. I have a friend who the same thing happened to her at a Disney resort. She refuses to go anywhere for vacation now that has a strict mask policy.

-Cheers!

It will probably be like that for a very long time on ships if not forever. Because after all masks are the only way to protect against Covid lawsuits, colds, covid and flu and even noro and they know it.

Can you imagine the amount of trouble this will cause onboard?. Forget under paid security who hate our American, English and European wealth and entitlement telling you what to do for 3 bucks and hour maybe or however much. Can you imagine another passenger telling you what to do. People are gonna get killed I think.

Edited by ace2542

12 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

So we may not like to wear masks and practicing social distance on a ship is a challenge,  if we cruise we'll follow the rules

A lot of people are not willing to spend money out for that. The social distancing in particularly appears to be a big no no for a decent amount of the solo travel or even the couple travel contingent on Cunard at least. I don't know so much about Royal but on Cunard the requirement is solo travellers be solo. As in eat alone, and hang alone if I understand it and they really don't want to do that. A lot of solo travellers like meeting dinning companions onboard and mixing with them. That might not be happening so much now.

That having been said as you have said if you want to cruise wear a mask for life or don't go period end of story. But there will be chaos and possibly murders.

Edited by ace2542

We are suppose to wear the masks but I don't see the govt. giving the illegals crossing the borders masks to wear.  I did not see masks in the long line illegals waiting for a hotel room wearing a mask.  And I did not see Dr. F wearing a mask at a sporting event.  And there is no flu anymore because it is all covid.  And I would wear a mask to cruise again but I do not believe they work.  And then the vaccine is suppose to be the cure all but you can still get covid, you can still pass it on, so what good is a mask if it won't do anything for you.  Yes, I know, everyone says it you get covid wearing a mask it will not be as bad but where are the studies that prove that.  

• Like 11
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

It will probably be like that for a very long time on ships if not forever. Because after all masks are the only way to protect against Covid lawsuits, colds, covid and flu and even noro and they know it.

Can you imagine the amount of trouble this will cause onboard?. Forget under paid security who hate our American, English and European wealth and entitlement telling you what to do for 3 bucks and hour maybe or however much. Can you imagine another passenger telling you what to do. People are gonna get killed I think.

The potential for violence on ships is possible. Ships in Florida  fill up on people driving from South Georgia and Florida to their ports. Some of these people have different views. Sime of the people who have different views will tumble. To try to iron things out on forums like this even though it was not designed for this, is preferable to dealing with it on cruise ships. We all go to have fun and relax.  It is tragic that politics has been jacked up over the last decade or so and everything we do is of division.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, lovescats5 said:

We are suppose to wear the masks but I don't see the govt. giving the illegals crossing the borders masks to wear.  I did not see masks in the long line illegals waiting for a hotel room wearing a mask.  And I did not see Dr. F wearing a mask at a sporting event.  And there is no flu anymore because it is all covid.  And I would wear a mask to cruise again but I do not believe they work.  And then the vaccine is suppose to be the cure all but you can still get covid, you can still pass it on, so what good is a mask if it won't do anything for you.  Yes, I know, everyone says it you get covid wearing a mask it will not be as bad but where are the studies that prove that.  

I have seen pictures of the undocumented kids wearing masks in these border detention centres to in order to sleep in a big room side by side. Imagine wearing a mask in order to sleep. I would never do that. You would have to staple the mask to my face in  order for that to happen. Though it is possible the crew on a cruise ship might have to do so. Especially if any crews on ships are 6 to a cabin and I think on some ships they are aren't they?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crewsweeper said:

Well, despite being asked for scientific evidence that masks work and giving no answer, Dr. F.  says even vaccinated wear 2 masks.  Even though the CDC says vaccinated people don't spread COVID and it's okay to mingle, Dr. F. says wear 2 masks and prepare for surge #4.  Even though areas with very strict lockdowns has just as many cases as those more open (COVID is APOLITICAL) , Dr. F. says wear two masks and stay inside with the germs in the air. 

So as long as Dr. F. says wear 2 masks, cruise lines will require masks.

https://www.pnas.org/content/118/4/e2014564118

Dr. Fauci does not need to waste his time saying repeatedly, yes, the science says that masks work.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, chrisness said:

-Cheers!

I guess some people are more bothered by this type of monitoring than others.  Doesn't bother me at all.  I'd rather be bothered by security ON the ship than NOT ON it.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

Funny, if they "knew it" then why haven't we had to mask up for all of our 25 cruises over the years in light of the Noro threat?  Now there IS a lack of common sense.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, chrisness said:

-Cheers!

Anything you do that requires a mask is hell on earth. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BeachyBrowns said:

https://www.pnas.org/content/118/4/e2014564118

Dr. Fauci does not need to waste his time saying repeatedly, yes, the science says that masks work.

These studies were done in many instances prior to a vaccine being developed.  They are , if you read carefully full of "coulds, "mights", etc. and many are inconclusive.  Some were based on "models" which we now are aware that medical modeling is far from accurate.  But basically these are observational studies on limited numbers of people and say that an inflected person is less likely to spread own aerosols wearing a mask and don't give the same conclusion on non-infected persons wearing masks and not catching.  Thus, not definitive, relying on Hope versus true data.  The authors also point out that  masks need to be properly worn, something that lots of people fail to do.

The 2 studies saying 80% community effectiveness on wearing masks were not  related to COVID.  One was from Beijing, which should heighten your skepticism. 

We're all under the false meme that we can eradicate the virus or need it eradicated before returning to normal.  Rather we should have been and should be treating this like a flu virus or shingles, or measles by seeking to protect those most vulnerable and at risk and developing vaccines and medical treatment for those less at risk and may catch the virus.  The latter two are definitely here and improving.  The mutated variants are less dangerous than the original .  The PCR tests used early in the pandemic were not designed effectively and tended to give off more false positive tests, making the estimates and cases higher than actual. A majority of the so-called asymptomatics who when tested  positive for COVID, could (there's that hedge word, again) have bee false positive.  Additionally, look at he total number testing positive versus the entire population.  Look at the hospitalizations versus the number of positives, and look at the deaths versus the number of hospitalizations.  All of these metrics are disturbing and horrifying, but in the larger picture, not anywhere near what was projected. Mask or no masks.  

• Like 5