The Daily for Tuesday Apr 13, 2021

richwmn

Today is International Plant Appreciation Day, National Peach Cobbler Day, and Scrabble Day

"What do we live for, if not to make life less difficult for each other? - George Eliot"

Meal suggestion for today - Florentine Spaghetti Bake

Drink of the Day - Aperol Spritz

Wine of the day - Lapostelle Cabernet Cuvee Alexandre - Chile - Red

Port of the Day - Fairbanks Alaska

At Sea Pacific
Nieuw Amsterdam Destination Los Angeles eta 4/15
Noordam Destination La Paz MX eta 4/17

Corfu GR
Volendam

Great Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

La Paz MX
Koningsdam Anchorage
Westerdam Anchorage
Zuiderdam Anchorage

Limassol CY
Zaandam

Torquay UK
Eurodam Anchorage
Oosterdam Anchorage

0413World.thumb.png.497e40373592321865e832f430b3c23c.png

• Like 27
  • Thanks 6

Thank you for the Tuesday Daily, Rich.  Lots of appreciation for plants here.  I would love a peach cobbler on a BHB.  Haven't played Scrabble in years.  Fairbanks stretches the definition of "port" a bit but an interesting destination yet.  I like the way Elliot thinks.  Spaghetti Bake sounds nice.  My alternative is Pineapple, Kiwi, Strawberry, Arroz Con Polla, and Triple Berry Sundae as served on MS Zaandam April 13, 2017:

https://aroundamericabitbybit.files.wordpress.com/2017/04/dishes13.jpg

Today's care list:

Kakalina

St. Vincent

myself facing cardiac surgery

Baltic27 DH  heart catheterization

NextOne DH facing chemo

Vict0iann biopsy

RIP Prince Phillip

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Jabs for 1Angelcat, Sharon’s DD

Jab booking for Crazy for Cats

lindaler visit with sons

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 27
  • Thanks 4

Good morning, everyone.  

Just a quick visit this morning before I dash off to the pool.   Hopefully, I'll get back later today.

Today's meal gets great reviews.  There was one quibble over whether there really is a 9 by 13 pan or if they are all 8 by 12.  Seriously?

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/florentine-spaghetti-bake/

1 serving: 446 calories, 23g fat (9g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 1172mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 4g fiber), 25g protein.

florentine spaghetti bake.jpg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

It's Tuesday - First Jab for us!🙂 

I haven't played Scrabble in ages, or eaten peach cobbler.   But I do appreciate plants.

The dinner suggestion sounds good, but we had pasta last night.

I'd love an Aperol Spritz.  Hope the wine is good too.

Sending prayers to everyone on the Care List.  Cheers to everyone who celebrates.

Stay safe.

• Like 20

Good morning.  International Plant Appreciation Day has a lot of fans on this thread.  I love my plants and so enjoy Kazu's photo's of hers.  Peach Cobbler is yummy, tho I've not had it in years.  Haven't played Scrabble in years.  Great Eliot Quote.  The meal sounds delicious, will print the recipe out for later.  First cruise started with a land portion.  Flew into Anchorage then a bus trip to Fairbanks.  Had a salmon bake, didn't see much of the town.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and please continue to wear your mask.

Aperol Spritz:

A Spritz Veneziano or Aperol Spritz, also called just Spritz, is an Italian wine-based cocktail, commonly served as an aperitif in Northeast Italy. It consists of prosecco, Aperol and soda water. Wikipedia
Ingredients: 1 1/4 oz Aperol, 2 oz Prosecco, Splash of Soda water
Preparation: Build into glass over ice, garnish and serve.
Served: On the rocks; poured over ice
Standard garnish: Orange Wedge

Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 7.04.07 AM.png

Edited by summer slope
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 2

Good morning all!

Peach Cobbler Day! Yum. I do appreciate my plants. I’m changing one of my planting beds (from veggies-planning to switch to the farmers market) to perennials, probably purple coneflowers for the butterflies. I mostly play scrabble online.

Looking forward to hearing about the wine and drink.

I have been to Fairbanks a lot. Most recently (and the only pictures I have on my IPad) are from 2018. It was the last tour of the HAL season, everything closed (literally) as we left. We got to do the final Riverboat Discovery of the season; Mary Binkley, the founder along with her husband Jim, still is active in the business and rides along each year on the final cruise. Biggest disappointment was having to cancel our Northern Lights excursion. The lights had been quite active (one of the employees at McKinley Chalets shared pictures from her IPhone she had taken the week before), but as luck would have it the weather was atrocious. We debated about going anyway, to pet the sled dogs and have reindeer stew, but it got back at 1a.m. and we had to be up at 3 for a very early morning flight, so we passed. I guess because I’ve been there so often I took very few pictures this time. I am a sucker for sled dogs and the other is a favorite of mine, DH and a duck taking a walk through Golden Heart Plaza. Alaska is my absolute favorite HAL cruise and land tour. 8 cruises so far (and two land trips). Our last one was in the summer of 2019. 

Take care all. I will be off to the Barnes Research Center later today for my drug trial screening, wish me luck. 

St Louis Sal

CFB1595D-ED40-446D-9BB0-9F69647C05D3.jpeg

E4B649E9-75A8-444C-A6D8-94750AF686E1.jpeg

• Like 25

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! I will toast the plants of the world today!

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy! Morning Dailyites & my Sisters. Just popping in before heading to the dermatologist for my three month check up.  Will check in later. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

The 2018 vintage of this Cab has super ratings, but all vintages have very good - excellent ratings. I found a slew of online distributors with prices starting at $16.44,

Winemaker Notes

Intense, deep red color with purple edges. Expressive and intense nose with cassis and black currant aromas. Elegant palate with round and persistent tannins, with fresh cherry along with a light toast flavor.

Pairs well with high vored dishes as lamb shank with herbs or pork fillet with mustard and honey.

JS95 James Suckling: The blackcurrants and violets are impressive on the nose with hints of slate. Full-bodied, yet always refined and in check. Linear and tight. Black olives and blue fruit at the finish. Drink after 2021.

And from www.thereversewinesnob.com: 

The aroma on the 2018 Lapostolle Cuvée Alexandre Cabernet Sauvignon sucks you right into the glass. It opens with lots of dark fruit and well-integrated baking spice along with some beautiful floral notes. Tasting reveals a smooth and lush Cab with lots of ripe, juicy, rich fruit plus plenty of spice, cola, licorice, a little bit of mint, a touch of chocolate and just a hint of a herbal green note. It really opens up nicely after a couple hours in the glass. With great depth of flavor this is a tremendously tasty Cab. It ends dry, slightly grippy and very long with all the flavors from the palate lingering for quite a while on the finish. 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, St. Louis Sal said:

Good morning all!

Peach Cobbler Day! Yum. I do appreciate my plants. I’m changing one of my planting beds (from veggies-planning to switch to the farmers market) to perennials, probably purple coneflowers for the butterflies. I mostly play scrabble online.

I have been to Fairbanks a lot. Most recently (and the only pictures I have on my IPad) are from 2018. It was the last tour of the HAL season, everything closed (literally) as we left. We got to do the final Riverboat Discovery of the season; Mary Binkley, the founder along with her husband Jim, still is active in the business and rides along each year on the final cruise. Biggest disappointment was having to cancel our Northern Lights excursion. The lights had been quite active (one of the employees at McKinley Chalets shared pictures from her IPhone she had taken the week before), but as luck would have it the weather was atrocious. We debated about going anyway, to pet the sled dogs and have reindeer stew, but it got back at 1a.m. and we had to be up at 3 for a very early morning flight, so we passed. I guess because I’ve been there so often I took very few pictures this time. I am a sucker for sled dogs and the other is a favorite of mine, DH and a duck taking a walk through Golden Heart Plaza. Alaska is my absolute favorite HAL cruise and land tour. 8 cruises so far (and two land trips). Our last one was in the summer of 2019. 

Take care all. I will be off to the Barnes Research Center later today for my drug trial screening, wish me luck. 

St Louis Sal

Best of luck today!

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, St. Louis Sal said:

Good morning all!

St Louis Sal

Wishing for a good result for your drug trial experience.

Rpu

• Like 9

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Tonight is also the start of Ramadan.  My best wishes to those who celebrate 🙂 

1BB3F0C9-49F9-487F-8A65-EBF383597155.gif.3d3bcfc914b25600e5e22a133a2708f4.gif

I’ll happily celebrate International Plant day.  I think I’ve been celebrating it for weeks as I coddle the seedlings and early bulbs inside.  A good peach cobbler is always enjoyable.  Haven’t played Scrabble in ages but it is fun with good friends or family.

That quote by Eliot is so typical of her!

That spritz sounds lovely.  Have to save it for a warmer day though.  Spring here is just a mixed bag. Depends on the day of the week for what we get 😉 

EB9B0982-4EB1-4238-A2A6-6ABDB6500B36.thumb.jpeg.4bf0ba454d6eb762d23206caf3daba05.jpeg

The meal of the day sounds great.  We had pasta last night - seafood lasagna - so will probably be having leftovers tonight 😉 

We haven’t been to Alaska and haven’t been tempted to go.  As Gerry says, we get enough ice and snow here in the frozen tundra. 😉  

@St. Louis Salgood luck with your drug trial screening 🤞 🙏🏻 

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to everyone on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Tuesday everyone!

25CBCDC7-8009-4B7E-B8FD-FCC2BD81A8E4.thumb.jpeg.64dfa312962e2afe7fcc1972d806cd99.jpeg

Stay safe and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 30

Good Morning Everyone from a warm and breezy day at the beach

I have a small garden, not like some of you! I enjoy it and am off to the store today to buy some new ones. Only certain plants thrive here because of the salt, wind and high temps but I try!

Have been to Fairbanks on a landtour with HAL. Actually we flew in there 3 days before our tour. It was our first trip to Alaska back in 2001. Enjoyed the town. 

Really like peach cobbler, although it has been awhile. My family has played scrabble a lot over the past year along with Rummicub.

St Louis SAl-- Best of luck today. Will be praying for you.

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 16

Good  morning. It  is  a  nice  collection of  days,drinks  and  recipes. Peach  cobbler is  lovely and  I  admire  plants  others  are  responsible  for as  I  am  a  known  plant  killer. My  mom  used  to  ask  the  kids  to  water  her  precious  African  violets  while  she  was  away as  I  once  sent  a  few  unwittingly  to  their final  resting  places.

The  last  time  I  played  scrabble was  on  our  last  cruise in  2018(Prinsendam). I  do  play  online  these  days  to  keep  my  skills  up  for  the  next  cruise.....Terry

• Like 15

Good morning from a bright, sunny spring morning!  Thanks Rich for our collection of days today.  I love plants and have given the remainder of our shrubs a reprieve from trimming today.  We were planning to finish the job but are taking a day off from anything physical.  We just need a break!  

I love peach cobbler (and most desserts for that matter), and haven't played Scrabble in a long time but wouldn't mind a game.  Just have to locate where we put it!

Since we haven't done a land tour while in Alaska we haven't been to Fairbanks.  Since it's an inland city I guess you wouldn't be there simply by being on a cruise!  My high school friend lived there for two years when her husband was stationed there while in the service. 

The Florentine Spaghetti Bake looks de-lish!   Thanks for the recipe @dfish

@St. Louis Salgood luck today with the drug trial screening!  And @cat shepardhope all is well at the dermatologist.  Good luck to you too!

• Like 18

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Yesterday DH and I sat sipping tea, watching the snow come down, talking about our plans for this year's annuals in the front, side and back yards.  Every year we have to increase the budget because we seem to add a few pots here and there.  Love peach cobbler, and haven't had any in a long time - I might check the pantry to see if I have ingredients for one.

Scrabble - it's all fun and games until someone loses an i.

Because of the snow, yesterday I decided to go through our "cruise tub" - a large Rubbermaid tub with our essential cruise items and more.  Who knew I was way ahead of the croud with about 14 pkgs of anti-bacterial wipes in there, and tons of mini bottles of hand sanitizer!  It seems whenever I see them on sale, I buy them and just toss them into the tub . . . I'd better start using the wipes before they dry out.   I can't wait until I can actually start moving items from the tub to the suitcases!

I like both menu suggestions today, but have chicken breasts thawing in the fridge for tonight.  I'll just brine and bake them, along with some baked mini potatoes and a side salad and that'll be our dinner tonight.  And wine.

@St. Louis Sal will keep you in my prayers today as you go through the drug trial screening.

@rafinmd saying extra prayers for you as well, you've got to get that ticker fixed!

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising the wine glasses tonight to toast all on the happy list.  Stay well, be safe, wash your hands, wear your mask(s) and get your jabs!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 24

In 2008 we did a DIY land tour before our southbound cruise. Flew into Anchorage and rented a car. In Fairbanks we took the Riverboat Discovery cruise (along with several who were taking the cruise-tour)  and visited the pipeline exhibit. We also visited North Pole, AK which is about 20 miles south of Fairbanks.

Bush pilot shares stories with Discovery passengers

1121863759_A7Planepassingboat.thumb.jpg.9859e5d7837c674c03d4401ad539984e.jpg

Dog sled training run at Susan Butcher's kennel

2042585220_A12Hittingstride.thumb.jpg.2a394fc905b43831c3c41f8b0632956b.jpg

Dixie Alexander, a well-known Athabascan Indian

199124558_A27DixieAlexanderansweringaquestion.thumb.jpg.9225a094338802e75ae6d17bd2eeadf4.jpg

A sunray hood

678042756_A35Parkasunrayhood.thumb.jpg.520b99a2de6512553e9330858540d1a2.jpg

Fishwheel for catching salmon

1332617779_A43Fishwheel.thumb.jpg.2492347d5907fed3f90569264ebb08f8.jpg

A pipeline cleaning pig

1445118734_B5Pipelinecleaningpigcurrent.thumb.jpg.1b90e96b9f1663544fc3ba88b131a0ae.jpg

Above ground section of pipeline1804352178_B9PipelineemergingfromundergroundnorthofFairbanks.thumb.jpg.ee302b26e79462b6570fafd06a7dd873.jpg

Edited by Cruise Suzy
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone. I do appreciate my plants, because although I don’t have a green thumb, I have a tiny plant given to me for my classroom in 1980 and not only is it still living, but it’s thriving. I mostly think it’s because I don’t water it unless the leaves beg for water.

Good luck today , Roy. Hope the drugs and you are a match.

Since my doctor told me I can only take the J and J vaccine, I’m now in a quandary about what to do. I can’t take it till the Mohs surgery heals so I have some time to decide. 

Stay safe everyone.

Carol

• Like 17

3 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Good luck today , Roy. Hope the drugs and you are a match.

Since my doctor told me I can only take the J and J vaccine, I’m now in a quandary about what to do. I can’t take it till the Mohs surgery heals so I have some time to decide. 

It's StLouisSal in the running for a trial medicine today. 

I hope the J&J issue is resolved quickly.  It sounds like just women under 50, so I'm having trouble why they aren't just limiting who should get it.

Roy

• Like 11

@kazuyour comment “We haven’t been to Alaska and haven’t been tempted to go.  As Gerry says, we get enough ice and snow here in the frozen tundra. 😉” reminded me of a conversation on my first Alaskan cruise that I had with a lady from Maui.

I was so excited to see whales, she was all ho-hum, said she saw them all the time at home. She was ecstatic over seeing bald eagles, I was ho-hum, see them all the time along the Mississippi River at home. We are always looking for the things we don’t get to see at home.

7E582996-4080-43F5-8B61-053E3E752B2B.jpeg

• Like 24
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, St. Louis Sal said:

Good morning all!

St Louis Sal

Wishing you the best of luck today.  Hoping you will be accepted for the trail and that it works for you.

Lenda

• Like 11