Last night dinner warning

sofietucker

17 minutes ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

I think you might be surprised at current Celebrity demographics, which have shifted pretty dramatically over the past five years. It's been discussed ad-nausaum on this forum, but the line's current target passenger is Gen X (sliding down to millennials with the Edge). 

I think that is very dependent on itinerary location and timing.

We've been on somewhere near a dozen =X= cruises in the last 5 (actually last 6 now) on 3 continents and the number of Gen X was minimal and the number of millennials virtually non-existent.

Caveat:  We don't sail in the Caribbean or any cruises less than 10 days, but =X= sails a lot of such itineraries. 

I agree wholeheartedly that this is their target demographic, but overall I don't see it as their de facto demographic across the whole breadth of their sailings. 

• Like 3

On 4/13/2021 at 8:50 AM, sofietucker said:

Didn't post about this at the time, so it may have become moot, but: last time were were on the Summit, eating most nights in Luminae, the daily for the final night of the cruise showed that ALL the restaurants served until 930pm, not 9 as usual. Cool--more time to pack! So we showed up at 915. Maitre d' seemed reluctant to seat us. A few folks just finishing dinner. 

"Sir, we stopped serving at 9. The food has all been thrown away." [?? Who knew?] 

We went round about this, they denied any of the restaurants stayed open late! We ran back to stateroom and brought them the daily... They acted puzzled.

Went to buffet, all shut down (no pizza or any late night food; don't know how the staff was fed). We were able to grab some nuts in Michael's. Staff at front desk were swamped with folks arguing their bills, so we let it go.

The last time on the Reflection, sailed with friends and did not have a suite. Forgot to notice final night dinner schedule... Just a heads up.

If a place stopped serving dinner at 9:30 I would never wait till the last minute and then go. Packing can always be done anytime. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ECCruise said:

I think that is very dependent on itinerary location and timing.

We've been on somewhere near a dozen =X= cruises in the last 5 (actually last 6 now) on 3 continents and the number of Gen X was minimal and the number of millennials virtually non-existent.

Caveat:  We don't sail in the Caribbean or any cruises less than 10 days, but =X= sails a lot of such itineraries. 

I agree wholeheartedly that this is their target demographic, but overall I don't see it as their de facto demographic across the whole breadth of their sailings. 

I think LLP is trying to get a new demographic but has not quite succeeded in getting rid of us old f***s.   Ultimately everything is dependent on supply and demand, why do you think we don’t have dining rooms open for lunch on port days.  Same thing.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, sofietucker said:

But on our "one and done" Carnival cruise, everyday (except embarkation) between 3pm and 5, there was not a scrap of food to be found anyhere on board

How many years ago was that? Carnival has had 24/7 pizzerias onboard since the early 2000s. They also serve Caesar salad. 

51 minutes ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

How many years ago was that? Carnival has had 24/7 pizzerias onboard since the early 2000s. They also serve Caesar salad. 

No pizza that we could find. It was on the Sunshine, the Xmas 2016 cruise out of New Orleans to Roatan, etc. the newly "renovated" and renamed ship (one of the ones that had caught fire, etc., can't remember which--called it Carnival  2.0?). They brought it out way too early: large parts of the ship were blocked off from pax access; leaking everywhere--buckets in elevator lobby outside MDR (4+ flights below top deck? go figure); overwhelming paint fumes; many banisters unusable with "wet paint" signs (in cabin-deck corridors during major storms in Gulf of Mexico!); etc. The bright spot was the wonderful MDR staff and the maitre d' who sang like Frank Sinatra--made up for a lot! But still, no Carnival before or since...

On 4/13/2021 at 9:06 AM, mahdnc said:

Interesting.  I took a quick look at the ship dailies I scanned from our last cruise (12 nt New Zealand on the Dec 23 2019 Solstice) and I did not see extended hours for the restaurants during our last night.

David

I was on that cruise. Seems sooooo long ago!  I loved the fjords!

On 4/17/2021 at 8:41 AM, dkjretired said:

Ultimately everything is dependent on supply and demand, why do you think we don’t have dining rooms open for lunch on port days.  Same thing.

Now that is a complaint for me.   That is the only reason you will find me at the buffet.

Edited by NMTraveller

We use the specialty places that are open for lunch on most days.. they are generally less crowded,  good  chance to try them out at a lower cost and better than the buffet.  Used to do Bistro on 5 every day but that's been removed!

We  like an early dinner on the last night and then venture out for a drink once our luggage has been  picked up (Used to do the walk off program but that became an overcrowded hassle once everyone  signed on to it.)

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1

We eat dinner on the final evening and put our luggage out before we turn in for the evening.   That way we can put our dinner clothes into the suitcases.   We dress differently when we disembark, especially if we are going to the airport.    After eating on a cruise for 14 or even 7 days last night dining has never been a great concern.