Random musing on future Covid protocols on our QM2 TA crossing in December

Devon Bloke

Have just seen the latest Cunard announcement at https://www.cunard.com/en-gb/contact-us/travel-health-advisories, and that "Queen Mary 2’s current programme of departures up to and including 12 November 2021 are cancelled."

I'm obviously hoping that things will be OK for the Southampton to New York crossing, departing 15 December.

A general thought has just occurred to me - I’ll be really interested to see how the future social distancing issue is going to be dealt with in relation to the relatively narrow corridors/hallways in the cabin areas.

And another issue that strikes me… is that of the laundry rooms. Always a centre for good chats and ship gossip…occasionally a place for heated arguments over “washing machine emptying etiquette”. I wonder how use of the laundry rooms is going to be managed.

Whatever; I note that Cunard states on it’s website at https://www.cunard.com/en-gb/frequently-asked-questions.sailing-with-confidence.faq624.summary in answer to the question “How will you ensure everyone follows the protocols on board?”, that they state “ Any guest failing to comply with these new procedures will be asked to disembark the ship, with the costs for their journey home at their own expense.”

Does that mean that such guests will be asked to leave the QM2 mid-Atlantic? Maybe to disembark onto a tender that is being towed behind the ship for such eventualities?🤣🤪

I can't imagine they will be sailing if there is social distancing needing to be enforced. You couldn't  share a dining table or drink with strangers - it wouldn't be a cruise. 

Those specific issues are easy to deal with 

The narrow corridors would be dealt with with a one way system. And they could close the laundries - or have them on a booking system. 

• Like 1

The launderettes will probably be closed as there is no way more than one person can be in them and maintain social distance.  Imagine how the sparks would fly if one person took their time to meticulously fold their clothing while others were outside waiting. 

As for non-compliance with social distancing and other protocols, in an extreme case one could be confined to their cabin.

The "Healthy Gateways" protocols have been discussed here at length.  Some want to be back on board so badly that they will tolerate just about anything to make it happen.  Others don't see any enjoyment in sailing under such restrictions. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BlueRiband said:

The launderettes will probably be closed as there is no way more than one person can be in them and maintain social distance.  Imagine how the sparks would fly if one person took their time to meticulously fold their clothing while others were outside waiting. 

As for non-compliance with social distancing and other protocols, in an extreme case one could be confined to their cabin.

The "Healthy Gateways" protocols have been discussed here at length.  Some want to be back on board so badly that they will tolerate just about anything to make it happen.  Others don't see any enjoyment in sailing under such restrictions. 

Dear BlueRiband,

I'm inclined to agree with you ...on all the points that you make. (particularly about the "...sparks would fly if one person...meticulously folds their clothes...etc"😆

No doubt the onboard laundry and pressing service will be busier than usual!

There is just so much we don't know! But, I have booked a UK 7 nighter and will go on board just happy to be "looked after" with no shopping, cooking, cleaning or gardening. Certainly feel more secure with ALL pax having to be vaccinated and probably safer than land based hotels where one does not have to be jabbed, and probably with less protocol. The whole cleaning regime will be very thorough as the eyes of the travel industry will be upon all ships once they set sail again.

However, somethings that we have become accustomed to, will no doubt change. Early boarding for long standing WC members, for instance. It will not be possible to have about 60%+ of the ship pax turning up for early boarding as so often used to happen. The terminals just cannot accommodate that many  with social distancing.There is an article on the Cunard site about strict boarding times. How many will be allowed in the Commodore Club? Questions just go on, but we have to be prepared for change if we are to cruise. It would be wonderful, for me, if wi-fi became more the norm, rather than a commodity to watch carefully on usage; we are part of the high tech era and that has moved on massively in times of the pandemic, and will only continue to move forward. 

I am sure many of you have your own thoughts,  but cruising can still be a pleasure if we go in the right frame of mind without "we used to be able to do so-and-so".

Hopefully, happy days ahead!

Yes if masks are forcibly ripped off in combat down there- that could be a problem.  If you have a "one person inside a laundry room at once" rule- the fighting and scratching moves to the corridors- which are well supplied with air flow.  Maybe a rule that in wrestling over washers and driers aboard, bare knuckles, hair pulling and shin kicking are still permitted-  but removing masks is bad form and will land you in the brig.    

Edited by ew101
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, ew101 said:

Yes if masks are forcibly ripped off in combat down there- that could be a problem.  If you have a "one person inside a laundry room at once" rule- the fighting and scratching moves to the corridors- which are well supplied with air flow.  Maybe a rule that in wrestling over washers and driers aboard, bare knuckles, hair pulling and shin kicking are still permitted-  but removing masks is bad form and will land you in the brig.    

Such a person would actually be banned from life from Cunard and possibly the entire Carnival grouping as what happened with the assault on DJ Chris on NYE a few years back on the QM2. The 60 year old woman who attacked him over a song got the 7 line ban.

I hope there won't be any problems onboard but can you imagine another passenger telling you what to do?

On 4/13/2021 at 9:41 PM, Devon Bloke said:

Have just seen the latest Cunard announcement at https://www.cunard.com/en-gb/contact-us/travel-health-advisories, and that "Queen Mary 2’s current programme of departures up to and including 12 November 2021 are cancelled."

I'm obviously hoping that things will be OK for the Southampton to New York crossing, departing 15 December.

A general thought has just occurred to me - I’ll be really interested to see how the future social distancing issue is going to be dealt with in relation to the relatively narrow corridors/hallways in the cabin areas.

I have created a new thread to discuss the passenger number situation moving forward from this Nov 12th date. I didn't want to hijack yours with this question. You might wanna check it out.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ew101 said:

Classic! 😂😂

As much as we love cruising (160+ cruises), we do not want to be on board under these conditions; social distancing, masking, etc. Cruising to us is a social event, getting to know people, dining together at a table for 8, enjoying groups of people during different activities, playing bridge, etc. We also in spite of our being vaccinated, do not want to be PCR tested, whenever we may be in a new port, or worry about what the protocols may be after we have boarded a ship. We do have reservations for this Nov. on a 25 day cruise, but as things stand right now, I doubt we will actually go. This saddens us, but hopefully, things may get back to the “old normal” sometime in the future.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LewiLewi said:

We do have reservations for this Nov. on a 25 day cruise, but as things stand right now, I doubt we will actually go

You are on the same trip on as me I think at least part of it.  And yeah we don't much wanna do the mask and stuff my father definitely doesn't. Plus with us being in NYC for a few days we may have pay for tests at the cost of hundreds of dollars. Will you have to pay for any tests onboard. Have they said?

Edited by ace2542

I believe all passengers and crew will be vaccinated and probably many will have had a booster shot.   We will be masked for the foreseeable future except when eating or drinking.   Of course masks would be required in the laundry and in all other spaces when you are not eating/drinking.   I hope they will not allow anyone not vaccinated to board, even children.   They don’t need to be traveling as some have become severely ill from COVID.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ace2542 said:

You are on the same trip on as me I think at least part of it.  And yeah we don't much wanna do the mask and stuff my father definitely doesn't. Plus with us being in NYC for a few days we may have pay for tests at the cost of hundreds of dollars. Will you have to pay for any tests onboard. Have they said?

We are on a Windstar transatlantic cruise leaving from Lisbon, 25 days to Miami. I don’t know what is required yet, but it is a very small ship, about 300 passengers. We are not sure whether or not we will go. We are also booked on a World Cruise on Queen Victoria for Jan. 2023. We are hoping that by then, things will be back to “normal”. If not, that may be the end of cruising for us.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

I believe all passengers and crew will be vaccinated and probably many will have had a booster shot.   We will be masked for the foreseeable future except when eating or drinking.   Of course masks would be required in the laundry and in all other spaces when you are not eating/drinking.   I hope they will not allow anyone not vaccinated to board, even children.   They don’t need to be traveling as some have become severely ill from COVID.

How would it work in international waters do you think? Especially if the British Government lifts the masking requirements in the UK before CDC does in USA or vice versa?

On 4/13/2021 at 9:41 PM, Devon Bloke said:

And another issue that strikes me… is that of the laundry rooms. Always a centre for good chats and ship gossip…occasionally a place for heated arguments over “washing machine emptying etiquette”. I wonder how use of the laundry rooms is going to be managed.

Whatever; I note that Cunard states on it’s website at https://www.cunard.com/en-gb/frequently-asked-questions.sailing-with-confidence.faq624.summary in answer to the question “How will you ensure everyone follows the protocols on board?”, that they state “ Any guest failing to comply with these new procedures will be asked to disembark the ship, with the costs for their journey home at their own expense.”

Does that mean that such guests will be asked to leave the QM2 mid-Atlantic? Maybe to disembark onto a tender that is being towed behind the ship for such eventualities?🤣🤪

I doubt there’ll be a TA in December.

• Like 1

I am booked on the 12.3.21 eastbound crossing. I know that doubt has being expressed as to whether Cunard will have any TA crossings this year. I believe my deadline for making payment is 8.3.21. If the cruise is not cancelled before August, I will wait to see whether Covid restrictions will likely be in effect. In short, if there are requirements to mask and social-distance, I have no interest in making the trip and will cancel. A TA crossing is supposed to be much more than a means of transportation. It is supposed to be a social event. Covid restrictions undercut the reasons for making a TA crossing on Cunard.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Reggiefan said:

I am booked on the 12.3.21 eastbound crossing. I know that doubt has being expressed as to whether Cunard will have any TA crossings this year. I believe my deadline for making payment is 8.3.21. If the cruise is not cancelled before August, I will wait to see whether Covid restrictions will likely be in effect. In short, if there are requirements to mask and social-distance, I have no interest in making the trip and will cancel. A TA crossing is supposed to be much more than a means of transportation. It is supposed to be a social event. Covid restrictions undercut the reasons for making a TA crossing on Cunard.

COVID restrictions undercut the reason for cruising period.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Get a balcony and enjoy the view.  You wont have to wear-a mask while eating or drinking in a bar. Only walking around the ship, Bingo, Trivia and shows. I can do without the first two and a mask is ok  for a 40 minute show. Better than staying home but final review wont be until after someone cruises and tells us. I-am tired of waiting and too old to put this off until next year. 

2 hours ago, oskidunker said:

Get a balcony and enjoy the view.  You wont have to wear-a mask while eating or drinking in a bar. Only walking around the ship, Bingo, Trivia and shows. I can do without the first two and a mask is ok  for a 40 minute show

A balcony in December will be very cold indeed. You are assuming you will be able to get into the bars to do the bingo and trivia. I can see people hogging the chairs in the bars all day and drinking slowly so they don't have to wear the mask. And people will drink during the show as well. Oh and of course there probably be no meetups of any kind onboard. CC, LGBT, Solo travellers etc. And I assume the deck games will not take place either? Like the baggio that kind of thing?

Edited by ace2542

39 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

I can do without bingo and trvia

What about the Afternoon Tea as well? You have seen the lines for that on both sides of the queens room. That is gonna be a hard thing to pull off. It is not like you can really move people off after 20 or 30 minutes.

29 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

First time on Cunard. Rarely went to the Tea on Princess. Since I had early dinner, it didn't work.more interested in Ballroom Dancing. That may not happen.

The afternoon tea is a big part of the Cunard experience. Sadly it may be real tough to conduct under social distancing circumstances. They have the band playing or a harpist playing.  People usually sit 4 to a table and the line forms a good 15 minutes even 20 minutes beforehand and it lasts for about an hour an a quarter or so. Be interesting to see how they work that.