Norwegian Fjords

4 hours ago, hallasm said:

Probably not the ‘most existing’ itinerary, however Day 3: Bergen and Day 4: Ålesund are two very nice DYI cities with good sightseeing opportunities - Day 6: Olden has a nice view point - Loen Skylift as well as Briksdal glacier.

Two scenic deep fjord cruising - do not understand the arrival/departure time for the fjord cruise:

Day 6: Cruise Nordfjord arrive 7:00 AM - depart 5:00 PM

Day 7: Cruise Sognefjord arrive 7:00 AM - depart 4:00 PM

The arrival/departure time are for the ports at the end of the fjords - the cruising is before and after the port visit - already starting 4am - be at upper deck for the two scenic cruising at sunrise (4 to 4:30 am) - also possible evening but might conflict with dinner and shows.

Thank you. We're continuing our search for itinerary including Geiranger and Flam though the above came our way at a very good cost so were considering.   Thanks for the quick reply. Enjoy  😀

3 hours ago, cruisinlawn said:

We're continuing our search for itinerary including Geiranger and Flam

Olden is actually a fair substitute for either Geiranger or Flåm - Olden has Loen viewpoint like Geiranger - Flåm is know for the train ride.

Skjolden is in the same ‘fjord system’ as Flåm - very scenic sailing.

- not that many interesting sights in Skjolden, Molde or Haugesund.

2 hours ago, Anubi said:

We recently booked HAL for May 2023.

Interesting itinerary - hopefully clear skies when you’re  in Hammerfest and Honningsvåg so you can enjoy the midnight sun - just expect cold nights - still snow in Honningsvåg - you can expect temperatures at 35F even if the sun is shining.

Enjoy your cruise and the midnight sun.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/26/2022 at 1:59 AM, DesertGirl28 said:

We will be on this cruise with you. I've started my research for the port calls. So far I booked a fjord cruise from Stavanger thru Rodne Fjord Cruise. It looks like a yacht type boat and it takes the Viator and ship's tour people. By booking directly it was half the price of Viator's. Here's the link https://rodne.no/en/booking/?r=Stavanger&t=2282&d=2022-10-09 For Tromso it lools likely we will do a ship's cruise Artic Ctr, Museum & Cathedral. In case you need the link for the Roll Call https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2773684-oct-07-2022-search-for-northern-lights-island-princess/ 

Thanks for the info. I will have a read on this. 
Looking forward to seeing you on the cruise.
Do you intend to arrive Southampton early and do a tour or self drive around, we're still thinking about this part. 

On 2/28/2022 at 3:20 PM, hallasm said:

Interesting itinerary - hopefully clear skies when you’re  in Hammerfest and Honningsvåg so you can enjoy the midnight sun - just expect cold nights - still snow in Honningsvåg - you can expect temperatures at 35F even if the 

We are booked on HAL In Search of the Midnight Sun, leaving Rotterdam 7/3/22.  Planning to take layers of clothing, the question of what to expect  in the lowest temperature in July, I’m think 35 degrees F?  Anyone have a best guess?

• Like 1

On 2/26/2022 at 1:59 AM, DesertGirl28 said:

We will be on this cruise with you. I've started my research for the port calls. So far I booked a fjord cruise from Stavanger thru Rodne Fjord Cruise. It looks like a yacht type boat and it takes the Viator and ship's tour people. By booking directly it was half the price of Viator's. Here's the link https://rodne.no/en/booking/?r=Stavanger&t=2282&d=2022-10-09 For Tromso it lools likely we will do a ship's cruise Artic Ctr, Museum & Cathedral. In case you need the link for the Roll Call https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2773684-oct-07-2022-search-for-northern-lights-island-princess/ 

Thank you for the link .
I just made the booking. 🙂 I heard that the meeting point is about 250m from the cruise terminal and this should give us sufficient time to roam about the city on return. 

So, i still have these 3 places to plan for. Such a waste that Tromso, we depart port at 11pm as most tour liked us to stay longer for the lights.

Tromso, Norway (9:00am - 11pm)
Alta, Norway (morning 11am - overnight - next day 11:pm)  
Alesund, Norway (8:00am – 5:00pm)

Looking for suggestions here. 

• 3 weeks later...

Planning a trip this August and wanted to do some Fjord cruising. From what I see in this thread and other threads, these are some of the ports with cruises into a fjord.

Would this be a reasonable order of choice for scenery and end port? Are there other ports I should be looking at?

Flam

Geiranger/Hellesyt (side-trip from Alesund)

Olden

Skjolden

Eidfjord

Nordfjordeid

Currently looking at

• MSC Grandiosa for Aug 14th (Copenhagen, Hellesylt, Alesund, Flaam, Kiel)
  • Sky Princess for Aug 20th (Southampton, Haugesund, Skjolden, Olden, Trondheim, Honningsvag, Tromso, Gravdal, Alesund, Bergen)

Thanks!

2 hours ago, gumby_ng said:

Planning a trip this August and wanted to do some Fjord cruising.

Your  top four ports are located in long deep fjords.  Eidfjord and Nordfjordeid are at somewhat shorter fjords.
You should also consider what opportunities there are for activities in the individual ports - many are quite small and some have very limited activities on your own like Skjolden Hellesylt, Eidfjord and Nordfjordeid.
 I also think the choice of cruise line is important - personally I'm not a big fan of MSC.

11 minutes ago, hallasm said:

Your  top four ports are located in long deep fjords.  Eidfjord and Nordfjordeid are at somewhat shorter fjords.
You should also consider what opportunities there are for activities in the individual ports - many are quite small and some have very limited activities on your own like Skjolden Hellesylt, Eidfjord and Nordfjordeid.
 I also think the choice of cruise line is important - personally I'm not a big fan of MSC.

Thanks for the info. I'm trying to find a cruise that does 2 of the top 3 of Flam, Geiranger and/or Olden but the only one I see is a P&O cruise during that month. The MSC one comes close visiting Flam and Hellesylt and yes they are a risk in terms of what to expect. Their price is hard to resist as I have 2 kids that would sail free or almost free. We would certainly go into it with lower expectations than other cruise lines. Sounds like we may have to make some compromises for port itineraries.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gumby_ng said:

Planning a trip this August and wanted to do some Fjord cruising. From what I see in this thread and other threads, these are some of the ports with cruises into a fjord.

Would this be a reasonable order of choice for scenery and end port? Are there other ports I should be looking at?

Flam

Geiranger/Hellesyt (side-trip from Alesund)

Olden

Skjolden

Eidfjord

Nordfjordeid

Currently looking at

• MSC Grandiosa for Aug 14th (Copenhagen, Hellesylt, Alesund, Flaam, Kiel)
  • Sky Princess for Aug 20th (Southampton, Haugesund, Skjolden, Olden, Trondheim, Honningsvag, Tromso, Gravdal, Alesund, Bergen)

Thanks!

For the opportunities in Nordfjordeid check out www.portofnordfjordeid.no and www.fjordex.no.. 

A very nice port with a great variety of excursions, both local and with a bit of traveling... But not in a deep fjord, only around 50km in from the coast. 

You can reach Geiranger from Nordfjordeid by bus.. www.fjordex.no 

Edited by JohnAlleb77

5 hours ago, JohnAlleb77 said:

For the opportunities in Nordfjordeid check out www.portofnordfjordeid.no and www.fjordex.no.. 

A very nice port with a great variety of excursions, both local and with a bit of traveling... But not in a deep fjord, only around 50km in from the coast. 

You can reach Geiranger from Nordfjordeid by bus.. www.fjordex.no 

It's not often a ship will stop in Hellyselt but not go on to Geiranger but from what I can see on the MSC site, this is the case. But I also see now that there is a public ferry that take about an hour so that is an option. With this stop on the MSC itinerary we could do both Flam and Geiranger on the same trip.

55 minutes ago, JERMEY said:

Was thinking about doing Bergen on my own. any suggestions?

Bergen is an easy DIY - many of the Norwegian fjords ports are easy to do yourself.

Some of the topics in this forum - enjoy your cruise and Bergen

Or posts in many ‘Fjords topics’

Sadly we're just doing a bus tour in Bergen, since mobility is limited.  Can't just stroll around town like we would have ten years ago.

"Settle back for a guided coach survey of Bergen’s most historic sights and attractions.
·Drive along UNESCO-listed Bryggen wharf, lined with wooden warehouses from Bergen’s earlier days as a Hanseatic trade center.
·See picturesque landmarks throughout the city, including Haakon’s Hall, Rosenkrantz Tower, St. Mary’s Church and others.
·At the tour’s end, ride back to the ship or hop off at Hanseatic Pier and stroll back at your leisure."

The only viable alternative I see is a fairly pricey small group driving tour, what do you think?

HARDANGER: QUEEN OF THE FJORDS

·Enjoy a day-long coach excursion to and around Hardanger, one of Norway’s most beautiful fjords.
·Departing Bergen, see the Bergenhus Fortress, King Haakon’s Hall and the Rosenkrantz Tower, gabled Hanseatic wharf warehouses, and the historic fish
market.
·Be immersed in majestic views with water, islands and snow-capped mountains surrounding you.
·See regional villages and glimpses of glaciers, walk under a waterfall, ascend to a mountain plateau through tunnels.
·Break for a welcome Norwegian buffet lunch with hot and cold dishes, desserts and coffee.
This tour involves approximately 125 miles of scenic driving. 

Hi all,

Looking for some advice as hoping to book a Norway cruise in May. Not something we’ve done before and we were originally planning for the very end of May but my wife is pregnant and would be over 24 weeks by then so not allowed so we are now looking at the beginning of May.. 

The beginning of the cruise is the same (Stavanger, Olden, Innvikfjoreen, Nordfjord) but it varies a lot on the 5th day..

- Early May Day 5 (Alesund only)

- Late May Day 5 (Hellesylt, Geiranger, Geirangerfjord, Sunnylvsfjorden cruise-by, Storfjorden cruise-by)

My question is will we be missing out on a lot by going on the Early May one instead? It seems like it from the itinerary but I haven’t researched all the stops yet. Wondering if we are just better saving it until next Summer…

Thanks for any help!

Edited by goonerbyron

53 minutes ago, goonerbyron said:

Hi all,

Looking for some advice as hoping to book a Norway cruise in May. Not something we’ve done before and we were originally planning for the very end of May but my wife is pregnant and would be over 24 weeks by then so not allowed so we are now looking at the beginning of May.. 

The beginning of the cruise is the same (Stavanger, Olden, Innvikfjoreen, Nordfjord) but it varies a lot on the 5th day..

- Late May Day 5 (Hellesylt, Geiranger, Geirangerfjord, Sunnylvsfjorden cruise-by, Storfjorden cruise-by)

My question is will we be missing out on a lot by going on the Early May one instead? It seems like it from the itinerary but I haven’t researched all the stops yet. Wondering if we are just better saving it until next Summer…

Thanks for any help!

I've just started looking too and one of the thing I researched first was the ports. Alesund is basically the port that is at the mouth of the fjord in which Hellesylt and Geiranger are in. Geiranger was one of the stops I was hoping to make as the cruise into there is spectacular. So yes, you would miss something significant cruise wise. But, I believe you can take a separate boat trip from Alesund into the Fjord. The other more experienced posters can comment on this more and whether there is enough time, etc.

• Thanks 1

Olden is located in a deep fjord with scenic cruising.

For the late May you’ll miss the scenic cruising as well as Geiranger- Hellesylt is only a technical stop.

Ålesund is a nice  DIY city - might be a OK substitute for Geiranger.

Also as suggested by gumby-ng you can arrange a boat tour to Geiranger (if available early May). Link to a Tour provider - there might be more.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, goonerbyron said:

Hi all,

Thanks for any help!

Just a thought---if you wait for next year, you will have a baby with you. That's a lot of work and will definitely crimp your cruising style.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Just a thought---if you wait for next year, you will have a baby with you. That's a lot of work and will definitely crimp your cruising style.

I believe poster was talking about this year, beginning of May vs end of May.

That being said (although next May their child will be older), I think six months is a perfect time to travel with a baby. It's easier than when they start walking and get into their terrible twos.

4 hours ago, gumby_ng said:

I believe poster was talking about this year, beginning of May vs end of May.

That being said (although next May their child will be older), I think six months is a perfect time to travel with a baby. It's easier than when they start walking and get into their terrible twos.

I understand the was talking about this May. I was saying it will be easier without a baby and diapers and all the other things required to take care of a baby.

I'll be on the Sky Princess on April 23, with stops in Bergen, Skjolden, Olden and Stavenger.  I'm wondering if I'll be able to use a credit card and/or Euros at these locations, or will I need to get some Norwegian Krones?

Thank you,

2 hours ago, linaka625 said:

will I need to get some Norwegian Krones?

No. You can use credit cards anywhere - no need for NOK.  You can use Euro in quite a few shops but at an unfavorable rate - use only credit cards. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, hallasm said:

No. You can use credit cards anywhere - no need for NOK.  You can use Euro in quite a few shops but at an unfavorable rate - use only credit cards. 

This ^^^ Norway even way before the pandemic was effectively a cashless society, nobody uses cash.

from 2019 Will Norway soon become a cashless society? What about the Krone? (marketbusinessnews.com)

Edited by defbref
  • Thanks 1