The Daily for Monday Apr 19, 2021

richwmn

23 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Well, we now have new restrictions for another 5 weeks.  We are not to leave our own health authority.  Which means we can’t leave the Island.  

So sorry to hear that Ann . Is this because of the situation on the Island or of what is happening on the Mainland and they are now treating all of the areas the same . From what I saw on the covid tracker things did not look that bad on Vancouver Island , but more so in other areas . Here in Ontario we are getting more restrictions also . Hope more and more people ask for the jab .

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Rich, Roy, the drinks and recipe ladies and everyone who enjoys the Daily.

@rafinmdGreat news for the plan forward.  My prayers will be with you.

@superomaGood luck with the radiation treatments and your way ahead.

Love garlic in just about any savory food item.

Great pics of the canal and garlic!

Prayers for those on the care list and those who need them.  Best wishes to all.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, baltic17 said:

Thank you Rich, Roy, the drinks and recipe ladies and everyone who enjoys the Daily.

@rafinmdGreat news for the plan forward.  My prayers will be with you.

@superomaGood luck with the radiation treatments and your way ahead.

Love garlic in just about any savory food item.

Great pics of the canal and garlic!

Prayers for those on the care list and those who need them.  Best wishes to all.

Thank you

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sailingdutchy said:

So sorry to hear that Ann . Is this because of the situation on the Island or of what is happening on the Mainland and they are now treating all of the areas the same . From what I saw on the covid tracker things did not look that bad on Vancouver Island , but more so in other areas . Here in Ontario we are getting more restrictions also . Hope more and more people ask for the jab .

We are pretty good on the island.  They just need to cancel the ferries and close the airports!   

@superoma, hope all goes successfully with the radiation.  

• Like 3

Thanks for the daily reports, photos and humour.

We have another warm sunny day, perfect to hang out laundry.

@rafinmdso pleased that you have been contacted and have a date set for the proceedure.

@superoma very best wishes for successful radiation treatment.

Yesterday was the start of the Trans Tasman bubble with Australia......passengers will not have to isolate for a fortnight on arrival.  Passengers have to wear a mask during the flights.

Take care everyone.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

We are pretty good on the island.  They just need to cancel the ferries and close the airports!   

BC Ferries has been told not to take RVs once the restrictions take effect. There will be random checks (not sure who by) to make sure those in the lot are travelling for essential reasons. DH is waiting to hear from the dental surgeon, so we are restricted to Fraser Health Authority for at least 5 weeks. If this helps stem the spread, I’m OK with not being able to,go,home to Salt Spring for a while.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

image.jpeg.6e422fda91b926efe99a58be1c9dd666.jpeg
🌺🌴🌺🌴

Just finished!!!! Hope you enjoy. Just alittle cheer. Making later Summer’s drink she Showed! APEROL SPRITZ!

Love to all on a wonderful Monday!

Denise😊

Beautiful painting.

5 hours ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

🌺🌺🌺

image.thumb.jpeg.c4a963004026726dab56b83e9be8af4b.jpeg

🌺In my pineapple bag we bought 2 Aperol’s !! How sad to get excited about Taking a picture of your cart at Costco!

LOL! Thank you for your comment. 
Denise😊

The new normal?  😜

• Like 4

3 hours ago, superoma said:

I just hope that light isn’t an oncoming train! We have all been so careful. I start 16 days of radiation tomorrow. My COVID test came back negative and we are working to keep it like that. Our family is being very careful but not everyone around us is.

Best wishes for a successful outcome.

• Like 4

Our transit of the Suez Canal was in 2012 on the Seabourn Pride (Athens to Dubai) and it was southbound - not northbound. 

The Suez Canal or the Flies Ship South for the Winter or the Egyptian Fjord of the Flies or Possibly Seeing Red but definitely not the Sea

We were told that we were scheduled to move through the canal beginning at 6 this morning (sunrise was at seven) but 6 am arrived at 4 am today.

Our cabin is right above where the pilots embark and disembark the ship.  When a pilot boat arrives or leaves in the dark, they shine large spotlights from the pilot boat to the ship and there is no mistaking what is happening from the vantage point of our cabin.  This ship is so small that we are very close to the water and the pilot boats.  The dance began at 4 this morning with a succession of small boats that arrived and a succession of folks who boarded our vessel.  

As the spotlight shone brightly and directly into our cabin I walked to the window and the occupants of the pilot boat immediately waved to me.  Good thing that I sleep in something other than my birthday suit.  After that excitement was over there was not much to see in the dark, so I returned to bed.

When the sun came up we were making our way Southward down the large trench in the sandy desert that is known as the Suez canal, with it's flat, yellow, sandy banks and shimmering blue water. For the next couple of hours we enjoyed a premium position on the bow deck, in the cool of the desert morning, drinking in the sights, sounds, smells and flies of the Suez canal.  Yeah, the canal seems to have an issue with flies.

We passed through barren desert, past areas that were irrigated and green,  by small towns and factories -- past mosques and Anwar Sadat's residence.  The one where they built Jimmy Carter a small chapel so he could worship at prayer time same as the Muslims.  

We also passed under the very tall new bridge and past one of the largest swinging bridges in the world -- which was, of course, open for us to pass through.  We saw many of the distinctive tall white oval shaped pigeon coops where the locals raise pigeons for dinner and occasional tourist meals (when we were in Egypt two years ago we are fairly certain that the very delicate little “chickens” we were served were actually pigeon). 

There was that shallow hill that was topped with a low stone fence surrounding a very small building with one gentleman standing outside and watching us pass.  Possibly part of the canal security?

There was the monument dedicated to the defense of the Panama Canal during the First World War and monuments erected to the Arab/Israeli war -- we do not know if it was specifically to the 1967 war or to the series of conflicts over the years.  We were buzzed by military helicopters and we passed places where small groups of Egyptian soldiers were standing in formation and at attention.

At the end of the morning we reached the first lake between sections of the canal.  There we lowered the anchor to wait so that a group of northbound boats could pass through.

We were surprised that there were no other boats in front or back of us that we could see traveling the canal, yet there were certainly plenty of other boats anchored with us out in the lake.

Our Ice Cream Social scheduled to be on deck at mid afternoon was cancelled due to our many winged stow-aways.  Not a savory time for ice cream -- we were fine but the flies were really disappointed.

And, due to who knows what the two hour break to let the northbound traffic through the canal became a seven and a half hour break -- so as of this moment as I write this at seven in the evening we are not yet seeing Red (Sea).  We are scheduled to be in port tomorrow morning at 10 am at Hurghada, Egypt.  As I calculate things based on the miles to Hurghada posted on the date and time channel on TV we would have to maintain an average a speed of 23.5 knots from now on to get there on time.  Since this ship's cruising speed is 15 knots ... And we still have over half of the canal to navigate ... Nah, it will not happen.  The powers that be have not admitted it yet.  Good that we had nothing planned for tomorrow.

From about mid-way through the Suez Canal (which we cannot see as it is dark.

• Like 5

I read an interesting article today about studies of the vaccines and the variants.  In further studies that included T-cells which are created or stimulated by the vaccines.  It seems that even if the variants “get by” the antibodies the vaccine produced, the T-cells will recognize cells with the virus and get rid of them.  The T-cells can also stimulate more antibodies to be produced.  Because T-cells are harder to study than antibodies, they are not often included in studies.  I know I probably did not explain it too well, but the article’s focus was that the vaccines work better than has been reported.

Lenda

• Like 10

5 hours ago, superoma said:

I just hope that light isn’t an oncoming train! We have all been so careful. I start 16 days of radiation tomorrow. My COVID test came back negative and we are working to keep it like that. Our family is being very careful but not everyone around us is.

All the best! Just rest lots and slather on Glaxal base cream.  

• Like 3

12 hours ago, superoma said:

Good luck with the beginning of your treatment tomorrow 🙏🏻 🤞 Good news on your Covid teat 👍 

• Like 1