State bans on vaccine passports

dwlmg

It appears some states are making it illegal to require proof of vaccination to receive service.  Is this going to be a problem in Florida if cruise lines require proof of vaccination either on their own or to comply with government conditions in ports they visit?

Florida's Governor Ron DeSantis has supported and signed several bans popular with his voter base.  The feeling among many observers is the vaccine passport and mask bans are largely for political purposes.  (That's what the experts said about Brexit, too!)

Ironically, the cruise lines may have to go to court to get the ban's application to them thrown out.  The ban was supposed to help them...

I’m not exactly sure if states can infringe on private business that way.  

For instance, when WA made pot legal, it did not stop company policy for a positive drug test.  Boeing still fired those who imbibed.  It was a rude awakening for those who thought they were good after the law passed. 

It definitely will be interesting to see how this falls out.  If cruise lines choose to port in cities where they don’t have to deal with this, then DeSantis is going to lose a lot of the cruise’s tourist dollar, if people start flying to Puerto Rico rather than Miami to board a ship. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Let Me Travel! said:

We’ve gotten masks that say “For Government Use Only”...vaccinated people do NOT need masks.... it’s all for show...

I hope you’re not on one of the upcoming cruises on Viking, cuz you’ll be surprised by Viking’s stance on that issue. The masks are not only to protect others from your respiration should you have COVID, but also to protect you from people infected with a variant that the vaccine does not cover.

• Like 3

When do you stop wearing them, or do you plan to wear them the rest of your days? Just trying to understand when enough is enough.  Never in history has such action been taken to shut down peoples lives, not for any previous epidemic situations.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

When do you stop wearing them, or do you plan to wear them the rest of your days? Just trying to understand when enough is enough.  Never in history has such action been taken to shut down peoples lives, not for any previous epidemic situations.  

Speaking just for myself, I'll stop wearing a mask when the CDC recommends doing so. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Jim Avery said:

I plan to keep wearing a mask as long as there are still cases surging in my area, and when I travel through airports and on planes. Also when in any crowded, indoor space where it’s difficult to keep six feet of distance/or ventilation is poor. I follow the science and the CDC recommendations closely. It’s tragic in our country that so many won’t do the simple things of wearing masks and social distancing until this thing is under control.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Everyone everywhere we went this past winter were wearing masks.  Saw no exceptions.  Still we had a huge run up in cases.  So why didn't wearing masks slow or stop it?  Masks work and are the answer right?

• Like 1

I’ve been frustrated by our local health dept. in that you don’t learn until months later just WHERE the surge in cases are. Masks do work, and many people are not wearing them—thus the outbreaks.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Everyone everywhere we went this past winter were wearing masks.  Saw no exceptions.  Still we had a huge run up in cases.  So why didn't wearing masks slow or stop it?  Masks work and are the answer right?

Think about it this way.....

What would cases have been like if we had not masked up?

I think a lot of this winter’s cases were courtesy of family gatherings during holidays.  No one masked in their homes when family visited. 

Just because you see everyone masked up where you went, doesn’t mean it is like that everywhere. Our local FB group talked about businesses that had poor compliance.  I avoided them.

Edited by Mich3554
  • Like 4

I am really interested in just how long people are willing to put up with this.  The Spanish Flu epidemic (the word "pandemic" had yet to be created) killed millions more people in a world population of somewhere over one billion.  Ships still sailed, trains still ran, and yes, they used masks.  Worked about as well as now.  The only true defense anyone has is their immune system.  Spanish Flu, which many "experts" have likened to covid, had no vaccine till 1942 but still receded.  Even today Spanish Flu exists.  Again, just interested in how many of your unknown assigned days on this rock people are willing to give up to bureaucrats...

• Like 2

Jim Avery, my answer to your question is that I think that at some point this summer, possibly June 15 the date that the California Governor put as opening date (with mask use), as long as numbers are low the mask requirements will disappear for many.

Requirements to mask will remain for indoors and on public transport including airplanes for quite some time.  Remember that places like Michigan have had many indoor exposures from lack of masks.  California is now the second best state for low numbers after Hawaii.  I always took my mask off outside, but raised it as I was close to other people.  I am seeing more people like myself and in California 43% of the population has had partial vaccination and 30% full.  I think it will be very tough to get much beyond 60-70 percent fully vaccinated.

This will be around for a long time.  The huge impact will be to the third world, an Indian friend was speaking with family in India and there are no hospital beds, gurneys or wheelchairs available due to this disease 

• Like 1

Just hoping our vaccine distribution continues at the recent great rate...I’d really like the world get back to normal...I do think that we, as a population have become hysterical about the virus overall...we failed to protect the most vulnerable to the virus at the beginning and we imposed restrictions on the entire population as a knee-jerk response. I’ll wear the mandated masks, but I honestly do believe that as the population is vaccinated, (as the SCIENCE recommends) we need to stop the show and allow business, travel and social interaction recover...it’s my opinion that we are prolonging the drama.

• Like 2

I checked this morning and plenty of vax appointments are available at CVS and the Albertsons family of stores in So Cal.  And I’m sure other pharmacies, etc. are offering appointments.  Anyone with access to the internet can now easily get an appointment.  And county governments and charities have outreach programs for those with difficulty accessing the myriad sources of vax.

One thing to note, most of the commercial providers base the appoinments offered on a zip code entry at the beginning of the process.  If no appointments show up for a zip code, try others.  You may have to drive 20 minutes to a nearby zip code to get your shots.  Don’t be put off by no appointments being shown for the initial zip code you try.  Also, they seem to reload appointments every three or four days, so check daily if no luck initially trying several zip codes.  But I check almost daily fir other people and always see at least a few appointments within 20 miles.  Once I happened to check after a re-load and there were over 200 appts available within 5 miles.

And there are no restrictions on what city or county you get your vax in, it doesn’t have to be your own.  At least at the commercial providers in California.  Not sure about the county “supersites”.

But CVS was easier than the county site.  I got mine early on at a county site and DW got hers at CVS.  Either way is ok, but CVS was a bit less hectic.  And much more immediate.

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold

24 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

But CVS was easier than the county site.  I got mine early on at a county site and DW got hers at CVS.  Either way is ok, but CVS was a bit less hectic.  And much more immediate

My wife and I got both shots at Rite Aid some weeks ago - same situation, much less hectic than the county site we passed on the way.