The vision of Emerald Cruises: Q&A with brand director David Winterton

Host Jazzbeau

On 4/22/2021 at 3:30 PM, angela miller said:

I will never travel with Emerald again, after the cancellation of our Doro cruise  because of Covid, even with their compensation it would not cover traveling with them again in the same catagry. So many other reputable companies. 

Were you able to get your money back?

Every company had problems with the Covid breakout, I'm sure if you look there were many complaints all over the boards.  Unless Emerald flatly refused to give you a credit for a future cruise, or your money back, I don't think they are acting any different from any other line.

49 minutes ago, Daisi said:

Every company had problems with the Covid breakout, I'm sure if you look there were many complaints all over the boards.  Unless Emerald flatly refused to give you a credit for a future cruise, or your money back, I don't think they are acting any different from any other line.

I will agree. I think only one company had very few complaints.

I should clarify. We loose our deposit  no matter what if we do not rebook with Emerald .No option to get the deposit back. Future cruises are more than we  paid by a  $1000 per person.  No, we have not had a problem with  other cruises.... example being Viking which went through the same virus. We are rebooked and ready to go. No additional charges... actually got an air credit.

Emerald isn't the only company to do this. There are other complaints on this board that even with a bump up in FCC the replacement cruise was more expensive. I'm not condoning the practice; just pointing out that you are not alone in this situation.

1 hour ago, sbjornda said:

That is usually how a "deposit" works. 

True.  It's in the terms and conditions of most agreements, non-refundable deposit.  To me, I'm glad Avalon allowed us to re-book for 2022 with no penalties.  If we had chosen the refund, it would have been less the deposit as well.  I don't mind that, it just forwarded on as a deposit on our new booking.  Yes the price increased, but prices increase on pretty much everything every year, so you can't complain about that.  The lines have so many more expenses now - testing if required, extra cleaning and sanitising, changing from buffets to served meals....you can't expect them to keep their prices the same with extra costs involved.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daisi said:

Yes the price increased, but prices increase on pretty much everything every year, so you can't complain about that.

For reasons that I, poor peasant that I am, can't understand – government economists all agree that it is a good thing for prices to increase every year.  Apparently if prices decrease (and people are able to enjoy more things), that's bad.

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

For reasons that I, poor peasant that I am, can't understand – government economists all agree that it is a good thing for prices to increase every year.  Apparently if prices decrease (and people are able to enjoy more things), that's bad.

Only thing we have decreasing in price here is our insurance - home & Auto because of Covid.  Hopefully once everyone starts driving again they won't do a major increase... 🙂

Yes, prices do increase, but the companies have held a considerable amount of their customer's money for several years for some people.  Given the current stock market situation, you could have earned a nice return on that money.  With a little negotiation, you may be able to persuade them to move your cruise to a future date at the same price that you originally paid.