Proof of Vax or Not. Would you cruise

Would you Cruise  

373 members have voted

1. 1. Would you cruise if proof of Vax was not required

• Yes
    • No

8 hours ago, CI66774 said:

I was referring to the extended meal service bs that one to pull up and down ones mask. CDC doesn’t have the authority to dictate every movement of cruise pax, etc. several lawsuits are pending with respect to whether the CDC has the breadth of authority to mandate anything with respect to cruises.

It sounds like the CDC means that everyone has to mask up between servings.  Eat appetizer, then mask up.  Eat salad, mask up.  Eat meal, mask up.  Eat dessert, mask up. I looked up the definition of extended meal and that is a meal in which the food is cooked to order.  As it is now, a person can go into a restaurant and leave their mask off for the entire meal.

Although I don't smoke, I read that people can't remove their mask to smoke.  I don't care about that, but some people might.  Instead of just requiring people to wear a mask while going to and from places, a person would have to sun bathe with a mask on in the heat.  That's difficult for those of us who have never had to wear a mask outside.  Anyway, I could understand the strict rules for unvaccinated cruises, even though I believe they are overkill for cruises in which people have been tested.  But these rules are for vaccinated cruises too.  The CDC obviously does not want cruising out of the US because they are treating  meal service differently than meal service at restaurants on land. Why?  

35 minutes ago, stellarose said:

its odd that we have more restrictions on sea than land? I can go to a restaurant in DE starting 5/21 with 100% capacity and take my mask off for the entire meal.

odd. 

Then you leave and if you become ill you can make your way to the local hospital.

10 hours ago, CI66774 said:

I was referring to the extended meal service bs that one to pull up and down ones mask. CDC doesn’t have the authority to dictate every movement of cruise pax, etc. several lawsuits are pending with respect to whether the CDC has the breadth of authority to mandate anything with respect to cruises.

Anybody can sue for anything. Many lawsuits failed last year.

1 hour ago, stellarose said:

its odd that we have more restrictions on sea than land? I can go to a restaurant in DE starting 5/21 with 100% capacity and take my mask off for the entire meal.

odd. 

Well, we do have more hospitals on land.

Land based restrictions are easier to change than starting and stopping cruising, if they get it wrong. Would they tell half the passengers they have to leave the ship the next day?

7 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Well, we do have more hospitals on land.

Land based restrictions are easier to change than starting and stopping cruising, if they get it wrong. Would they tell half the passengers they have to leave the ship the next day?

true.  but still very odd. 

1 hour ago, d9704011 said:

Then you leave and if you become ill you can make your way to the local hospital.

Not getting ill was the reason we got both doses of the vaccine. The messages that the vaccines are both safe and effective but you still have every restriction are very contradictory.

Why can vaccinated people now walk around outside maskless, but not on an open deck on a ship?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

It sounds like the CDC means that everyone has to mask up between servings.  Eat appetizer, then mask up.  Eat salad, mask up.  Eat meal, mask up.  Eat dessert, mask up. I looked up the definition of extended meal and that is a meal in which the food is cooked to order.  As it is now, a person can go into a restaurant and leave their mask off for the entire meal.

Although I don't smoke, I read that people can't remove their mask to smoke.  I don't care about that, but some people might.  Instead of just requiring people to wear a mask while going to and from places, a person would have to sun bathe with a mask on in the heat.  That's difficult for those of us who have never had to wear a mask outside.  Anyway, I could understand the strict rules for unvaccinated cruises, even though I believe they are overkill for cruises in which people have been tested.  But these rules are for vaccinated cruises too.  The CDC obviously does not want cruising out of the US because they are treating  meal service differently than meal service at restaurants on land. Why?  

Agree. Seems CDC actions are punitive toward the cruise industry.

• Like 1

Don't know if its been reported yet but Carnival is starting to call back ship employees a couple months early for training. Word is that all ship workers will be required to be vaccinated...at least for those ships sailing in July, so the 98% criteria will be met. Those being called back now are mostly European countries. India is on hold give their current situation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ChutChut said:

Not really.  They are just acknowledging that we would have much better medical facilities on land if needed.  On a ship, you’d have to wait 7 days until you were able to get to a hospital .

And to save time with back and forth texts about the ships having medical facilities, have you ever been to one of these on a ship?  They might be able to apply a bandaid or hand out seasick meds but wouldn’t trust they could handle a Covid case

10 hours ago, ChutChut said:

5 hours ago, Radiioman46 said:

Why require vaccinations at all, since the sailing restrictions are the same either way. 

Again, what cruise line is cruising from the US?

3 hours ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

Not really.  They are just acknowledging that we would have much better medical facilities on land if needed.  On a ship, you’d have to wait 7 days until you were able to get to a hospital .

And to save time with back and forth texts about the ships having medical facilities, have you ever been to one of these on a ship?  They might be able to apply a bandaid or hand out seasick meds but wouldn’t trust they could handle a Covid case

Of course. Subject to space available. Yes, there may be space available today and tomorrow (in the US), but July might be different. I hope not, and I tend to think not, but there are no guarantees. It would be extremely irresponsible of those in charge or protecting us to blow it again.

10 hours ago, Radiioman46 said:

Why require vaccinations at all, since the sailing restrictions are the same either way. 

That is exactly what I'm thinking. It makes no sense, the whole thing is just a sham.

Edited by skywonder
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

What cruise line is sailing from the US? What are you talking about?

You know no cruise lines are sailing from the US, and I did not say that they were. I was comparing what Dr. Fauci has now said about vaccinated people not having to wear masks outside unless in large groups to the protocols being recommended by the CDC for cruises.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, rjrice1 said:

Wondering this could be a HIPPA violation to ask for "medical " information

they do not ask if you had any other immunization or other illness   

A cruise line is not a covered entity under HIPAA, so this would not apply. And other countries require proof of vaccine for things like yellow fever, so there is no reason why a similar requirement couldn’t be made for the Covid vaccine. 

3 minutes ago, carolyn22 said:

A cruise line is not a covered entity under HIPAA, so this would not apply. And other countries require proof of vaccine for things like yellow fever, so there is no reason why a similar requirement couldn’t be made for the Covid vaccine. 

HIPAA could apply to cruise companies  (Carnival, etc. employs people in the states) IF they have a self-insured health plan or if they act as an intermediary b/t the employee and the health provider, etc.  Also, you're comparing apples and oranges in terms of required vaccines for other countries. When entering another country, one must abide by its health rules, etc. That has no bearing on whether our states, etc. will allow companies that operate within its borders to mandate vaccine certs.

15 hours ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

Yes, I have. The infirmary actually provided good care to me. I get the proximity to large medical facilities, etc. but it does seem CDC is being beyond arbitrary with certain guidance on water versus land. Moreover, we're all assuming the CDC actually has this breadth of authority over cruise lines....

4 hours ago, rjrice1 said:

Wondering this could be a HIPPA violation to ask for "medical " information

they do not ask if you had any other immunization or other illness   

The cruise lines can have passengers sign a release for specific information relating to the covid vaccine.  It's only a violation without a person's consent.  Schools request vaccine information all of the time.

Edited by TNcruising02