NCL vaccination policy?

39august

The blurb that my TA sent me about NCL porting from the Caribbean said "all crew and passengers" will be vaccinated. Is that what NCL is actually doing, no children under 16 on those start up Caribbean cruises?

1 hour ago, 39august said:

The blurb that my TA sent me about NCL porting from the Caribbean said "all crew and passengers" will be vaccinated. Is that what NCL is actually doing, no children under 16 on those start up Caribbean cruises?

Rather than looking at stuff from a TA, go to the NCL website and get the CURRENT (maybe not future) requirements. 

https://www.ncl.com/sail-safe

image.png.5febf7786c8b6dfb3815fd8f5f9ea2f7.png

14 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

Please, nobody quote the original thread. 🙂

I honestly considered it, then I remembered what happened when I linked the first one in the second one.  Didn't want THAT to happen again...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 39august said:

NCL has a vaccination requirement for all guests on all cruises until at least November 1st.  That means no children under the age of 18, unless they can be vaccinated.  There's information on their website and in at least two threads on CC that were recently locked.  You can find them with a simple search.  

I am disappointed that both RCI and Celebrity are allowing unvaccinated children on board. I know they can't be vaccinated at this time, but they can carry and spread Covid. If a case breaks out during a cruise, I am afraid that cruise is going to be over. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 39august said:

I am disappointed that both RCI and Celebrity are allowing unvaccinated children on board. I know they can't be vaccinated at this time, but they can carry and spread Covid. If a case breaks out during a cruise, I am afraid that cruise is going to be over. 

19 hours ago, 39august said:

Sorry to bring up old news. But thanks for the answers. I wish RCG would do the same. I'd feel much more at ease with no unvaccinated people on a cruise. 

It's unrealistic to believe there will be zero un-vaccinated people onboard any cruise ship regardless of the rules in place.  Fake vaccination cards were being openly sold on sites like ebay, amazon, etc before the government threatened.  You can still purchase fake vaccine passports on the dark web; not to mention that (apparently) it's extremely easy to just make one up yourself. We have no idea the number of fake vaccination cards that are currently circulating but I suspect it's quite high given the demand for fake vaccine passports (and negative covid tests for that matter).

Of course, it is illegal to possess a fake vaccination card, but people are already using them for travel. IMO, it's likely safe to assume that vast majority of people who board one of the summer cruises will be vaccinated, and this will stop the threshold from being reached. But I have read countless posters state that they are happy to sail on a NCL cruise ship this summer since everyone will be vaccinated and I just don't believe that can ever happen. Perhaps that is why cruise ships are still requiring masks?

The next obvious question is who will verify the authenticity of a vaccine card? The airlines are already resisting taking on the responsibility:

“We cannot have either our crews or the people at Heathrow or other airports verifying the authenticity of all these documents,”

https://www.wsj.com/articles/fake-covid-19-certificates-hit-airlines-which-now-have-to-police-them-11618330621

https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-vaccine-passports/booming-market-for-fake-covid-19-vaccine-passports-sparks-alarm-idUSL8N2M05AB

With any luck, fake cards will prove to be statistically irrelevant. Unfortunately, we just don't know yet.  If you watch NCL's documentary on returning to cruise, you will notice that they say they are 'aiming' for all passengers vaccinated (the 'grand slam'). 

By the way, has anyone actually seen a number or percentage assigned to the threshold? In other words, how many people need to test positive before everyone quarantines in their cabins? I'm very curious what this number (or percentage) actually is. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014

2 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

It's unrealistic to believe there will be zero un-vaccinated people onboard any cruise ship regardless of the rules in place.  Fake vaccination cards were being openly sold on sites like ebay, amazon, etc before the government threatened.  You can still purchase fake vaccine passports on the dark web; not to mention that (apparently) it's extremely easy to just make one up yourself. We have no idea the number of fake vaccination cards that are currently circulating but I suspect it's quite high given the demand for fake vaccine passports (and negative covid tests for that matter).

Of course, it is illegal to possess a fake vaccination card, but people are already using them for travel. IMO, it's likely safe to assume that vast majority of people who board one of the summer cruises will be vaccinated, and this will stop the threshold from being reached. But I have read countless posters state that they are happy to sail on a NCL cruise ship this summer since everyone will be vaccinated and I just don't believe that can ever happen. Perhaps that is why cruise ships are still requiring masks?

The next obvious question is who will verify the authenticity of a vaccine card? The airlines are already resisting taking on the responsibility:

“We cannot have either our crews or the people at Heathrow or other airports verifying the authenticity of all these documents,”

https://www.wsj.com/articles/fake-covid-19-certificates-hit-airlines-which-now-have-to-police-them-11618330621

https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-vaccine-passports/booming-market-for-fake-covid-19-vaccine-passports-sparks-alarm-idUSL8N2M05AB

With any luck, fake cards will prove to be statistically irrelevant. Unfortunately, we just don't know yet.  If you watch NCL's documentary on returning to cruise, you will notice that they say they are 'aiming' for all passengers vaccinated (the 'grand slam'). 

By the way, has anyone actually seen a number or percentage assigned to the threshold? In other words, how many people need to test positive before everyone quarantines in their cabins? I'm very curious what this number (or percentage) actually is. 

My son and i have Medicare. Providers of giving the vaccine billed Medicare for the ADMINISTRATION of the  vaccine and we both got our EOMBs showing the Medicarepayments. All the info on Medicare EOMB matches the CDC card and is a legal document. I have put the payment sheets along with the CDC cards to bring with us when traveling. You could forge the CDC card but not the Medicare payment sheets. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Ain't gonna be many fake cards...threats to refuse boarding, refuse refunds, and turn over to law enforcement should be enough to dissuade.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, CroozFanatic said:

Ain't gonna be many fake cards...threats to refuse boarding, refuse refunds, and turn over to law enforcement should be enough to dissuade.

I hope you are correct and the amount of people attempting to board with a fake card are statistically irrelevant. That seems likely to me, except fake cards are still in high demand and I have to believe some of the demand is for the purpose of travel. We just don’t know. 

BTW- If you are in Jamaica or the DR and are caught using a fake card, what authorities would you be turned over to? Just curious.

If vaccine cards are going to be required to board, common sense indicates we need a way to validate their authenticity. I don’t believe anything exists right now. According to the airlines, fake vaccine papers are already being used. I would think airlines also refuse boarding, refuse refunds, and turn over to authorities yet people are still trying. 

At this point the best we can hope for is a way to validate. In absence of that, we can only hope those with fake cards don’t cruise (or are so small in number it just doesn’t matter). 

55 minutes ago, sugcarol said:

My son and i have Medicare. Providers of giving the vaccine billed Medicare for the ADMINISTRATION of the  vaccine and we both got our EOMBs showing the Medicarepayments. All the info on Medicare EOMB matches the CDC card and is a legal document. I have put the payment sheets along with the CDC cards to bring with us when traveling. You could forge the CDC card but not the Medicare payment sheets. 

I got mine through my county health department and was never asked to provide any insurance information.  To be honest, I wasn't even asked for id.  So to my knowledge, Medicare wasn't billed in my case and I expect the fact that Medicare was billed in your case is more of an exception than the rule.

1 hour ago, julig22 said:

I got mine through my county health department and was never asked to provide any insurance information.  To be honest, I wasn't even asked for id.  So to my knowledge, Medicare wasn't billed in my case and I expect the fact that Medicare was billed in your case is more of an exception than the rule.

Do you get a yearly flu shot. The  procedure is the same, the provider bills Medicare for the jab and you get the Medicare EOMB. The providers were paid a set amount of 28.39 per injection for the Covidfrom Medicare. Some providers didnt ask because they could get more for the jab from the federal reimbursement connected to Operation Warp Speed. not really right but it is all about the money after all

Edited by sugcarol

23 minutes ago, sugcarol said:

Do you get a yearly flu shot. The  procedure is the same, the provider bills Medicare for the jab and you get the Medicare EOMB. The providers were paid a set amount of 28.39 per injection for the Covidfrom Medicare. Some providers didnt ask because they could get more for the jab from the federal reimbursement connected to Operation Warp Speed. not really right but it is all about the money after all

Not the same procedure at all in this instance.  I get my flu shot from my pharmacy, not a mass-vaccination event, and they bill insurance.  And if I had gotten my covid vaccine from a pharmacy, it might have been a different story.  But no insurance billing, no EOB.

1 minute ago, julig22 said:

Not the same procedure at all in this instance.  I get my flu shot from my pharmacy, not a mass-vaccination event, and they bill insurance.  And if I had gotten my covid vaccine from a pharmacy, it might have been a different story.  But no insurance billing, no EOB.

Im just saying that you get a payment record of the amount Medicare paid to your pharmacy, i get my flu shots at pharmacy too, but my nephrologist is one of the few doctors giving the Covid vax in North Dallas. Everyone who had Medicare or other insurance had to show their cards for billing. I was not part of a cattle call.

10 hours ago, sugcarol said:

Im just saying that you get a payment record of the amount Medicare paid to your pharmacy, i get my flu shots at pharmacy too, but my nephrologist is one of the few doctors giving the Covid vax in North Dallas. Everyone who had Medicare or other insurance had to show their cards for billing. I was not part of a cattle call.

It isn't the same everywhere, my husband showed up to his appt at the pharmacy and they never took his medical insurance., and it is a pharmacy he has never been to before.

Faking/Counterfeiting a COVID vaccination card is a Federal Offense, just like doing the same with  Passport.  The punishments are not lite.  Think what would happen if you tried to use a counterfeit passport to enter a foreign country, and you'll have a pretty good idea of what you'd be facing.

I can see the cruise lines taking just as hard of a line on those trying to board with fake COVID vaccine cards as someone trying to use a counterfeit boarding card.  It would not go well.  And, I'm thinking there would be a heightened sense of security surrounding the use of counterfeit vaccine cards.  Cruise lines DO NOT want ANYONE on board who ends up infected with COVID.  They would isolate them, and in the interim, probably check with the signatory or institution on the card as to whether it matches up to giving the person in question the vaccine.  

There are jails on board.  A person can be detained in them if they flaunt any laws (or policies set forth by the cruise lines) if the offense is serious enough.  And, I would imagine using a fake COVID Vaccine card would be one of those.  

Would you then be turned over to the government of the next stop on the cruise?  I guess you could be.  The cruise lines would not want you on their ship, that's for certain.  Then, you'd have to be sent back to your home country for prosecution, if you're lucky.

• Like 4