All inclusive. Not really. Expensive, YES!

ALWAYS CRUZIN

5 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

I have always been amazed at the seduction of folks through "elite status".

Tier Status on airlines and hotels means something (assuming that you travel a lot - and that mostly mean for business). Status on both means maybe an upgrade here and there, but the best is handling problems to make your travel experience better.  Luckily that part of my life is over.   Flight cancelled - can I get home tonight?  I need a room in a very busy city. Thats what status gets you over there.  Status on cruise lines is free laundry and a scoop of ice cream.  Thats not keeping me loyal or coming back for that.

sooner or later the cruise lines will mirror air and hotel with requalifying  every so often (2,3 years) with a combination of nights and dollars spent.  No more cheap elites from 15 years ago wondering where my free bottle of water is 

in the meantime pick what ever fits your budget and value for that amount.  If you only have $5k for vacation then you look for $5k vacations, not at $10k wondering why it isn't $5k anymore

• Like 1

Many so called  "cheap elites" have spent thousands on multiple cruises each year,  upgraded cabin levels, spa treatments,  specialty dining, , excursions, photos , jewelry  and  other extras.

They should not be kicked to the curb b/c  someone has a new idea!  Surely they can  think of something tonmake new and traditional X cruisers smile !

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

How about being ‘amazed’ at folks who have found a Line that provides what they are looking for so they give that Line priority when checking for itineraries and so on. I cruise X because of what it provides is what I’m looking for when cruising at this time in my life. And now I get some benefits for being a repeat cruiser. And to show you that being E+ isn’t my goal, I’m looking forward to my next two X cruises with AI provided even though I get much of those goodies as E+. Just more flexibility. 

Den

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

elite status depends on program and what your expectations are.

I have lifetime elite high level on American, and upgrades were nice, getting their preferred economy seats is nice, at one time double miles was nice.

But the best was when I had problems  eg, a flight gets cancelled  for maintenance problems while at the gate and I get a call from American while n my seat  to tell me to hustle to a certain gate as I was already booked on that flight. Most Everybody else rushed to get  in line for rebooking.

That all ended when US Air took over American 6-7 years ago.

3 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Funny.  Celebrity calls these member levels "tiers".  Some do think of it as status or entitlement.  Honestly I have seen this view much less on Celebrity than the other cruise line (Royal Caribbean) that I often use for cruising where it seems to be quite more of a status thing on board.  

Yep.  Some walk around displaying their "Pinnacle" or "Zenith" name tags like its a status badge.  Heard one woman demand people move so she can get to the head of the line because she was "Zenith!"

For cruises, status , high status gets you early embarkation and disembarkation.

That's worth a lot.

Zenith gets you a free cruise once in a while--thats probably not worth much since its "only" in a verandah cabin. Just being sarcastic.

Here is what I am looking for, regardless if its 5k for a week in an obstructed cabin, or 8k a week for a sky suite. I am looking for a fund time, pretty good food, no hassles, no stress, etc. No big decisions to be made.

'

Whats the saying, the quality of a vacation will  stick with you far longer than the amount that you paid, something like that.

I booked a TA for April 2022. I picked Celebrity because they had at least 2 going the south route in April, versus most of the others took the more northerly route in March, or went totally north (Princess fleet) and where it was not feasible to do a B2B. NCL went from Rio to Barcelona, but the ship was not the best, and they had an open 2-3 weeks after Barcelona--no B2b. Edge was too steep $ wise for my taste, (back end of a B2b on Edge was one week and the price was more than the 11 day on Reflection). Easy choice was Reflection & it should be just fine, assuming the macro issues are cleaned up.  Anybody can have good or bad weather on a cruise--but like everything else, try to improve the odds in your favor.

Anybody ever try saying I have Zenith Status on Celebrity , what will you, eg, Princess,  do for me?

2 hours ago, hcat said:

Many so called  "cheap elites" have spent thousands on multiple cruises each year,  upgraded cabin levels, spa treatments,  specialty dining, , excursions, photos , jewelry  and  other extras.

They should not be kicked to the curb b/c  someone has a new idea!  Surely they can  think of something tonmake new and traditional X cruisers smile !

I don't they should kicked to the curb either,  but they shouldn't  muscle out the present day pax who are spending big bucks now - especially in suites.  There is only so much room at the bar

airlines and hotels are the prevailing models for the last few years .  Regular status renewals based on a combination of nights and revenue.  Cruise lines can't do the every year review but they can look at 2 or 3 years and then move low performers down and immediately upgrade better spenders.  

1 hour ago, HMR74 said:

elite status depends on program and what your expectations are.

I have lifetime elite high level on American, and upgrades were nice, getting their preferred economy seats is nice, at one time double miles was nice.

But the best was when I had problems  eg, a flight gets cancelled  for maintenance problems while at the gate and I get a call from American while n my seat  to tell me to hustle to a certain gate as I was already booked on that flight. Most Everybody else rushed to get  in line for rebooking.

That all ended when US Air took over American 6-7 years ago.

The golden days of EXP on AA.  A memory of mine as well

I agree with what you say - its all about guest recovery when it comes to status.  Upgrades?  nice.  Sitting in Cedar Rapids on a Friday and want to get home - and they make that happen?  priceless 

4 minutes ago, tfred said:

I don't they should kicked to the curb either,  but they shouldn't  muscle out the present day pax who are spending big bucks now - especially in suites.  There is only so much room at the bar

airlines and hotels are the prevailing models for the last few years .  Regular status renewals based on a combination of nights and revenue.  Cruise lines can't do the every year review but they can look at 2 or 3 years and then move low performers down and immediately upgrade better spenders.  

MSC has always done this.  It has even allowed them to status match from other cruise lines, because if you don't sail again in 3 years you lose all status and start over.  I personally think the credits should be based on spend, not cruises or days – then you wouldn't need bonus points for suites etc. and those who claim they have earned their status by frequent low-cost cruises would actually be right (or not).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

MSC has always done this.  It has even allowed them to status match from other cruise lines, because if you don't sail again in 3 years you lose all status and start over.  I personally think the credits should be based on spend, not cruises or days – then you wouldn't need bonus points for suites etc. and those who claim they have earned their status by frequent low-cost cruises would actually be right (or not).

I think that MSC told me they would status match against one of my frequent flyer tiers - Marriott ?.  They wouldn't do top (although I am that on Marriott ). I would have to cruise within a certain time frame as well - maybe 6 months. 

I read recently that American Airlines AA is making 40% of its profits from the Advantage program.  The margin for the actual program was about 50% with other tie ins - credit cards, promotions from outside vendors etc.  You know that X is looking how to monetize this - especially these days .  That can't happen with low spending "elites"

14 minutes ago, tfred said:

Suite guests are top priority .They pay the hefty  price..that's why we are trying to move up after many happy years in AQ class.

Updating loyalty status makes sense too

But   description of cheap elites  seems a   bit harsh

32 minutes ago, hcat said:

Suite guests are top priority .They pay the hefty  price..that's why we are trying to move up after many happy years in AQ class.

Updating loyalty status makes sense too

But   description of cheap elites  seems a   bit harsh

it's a term from the Marriott member and almost everything else with users on Flyertalk.com.  Pretty common usage. That site makes what goes on here look like a bunch of Boy Scouts.  If anyone mentioned "where's my two bottles of water ?" they would be run off that site.  Miles, points and status is a blood sport over there .  Here is something that would be common over there

Yep, I agree. But anyone who thinks this is about providing more choice or lower fares to occasional fliers is fooling themselves in my opinion. I do think part of the intent is to grow revenue from the "cheap" elites. I guess I thought PQD's would have solved that problem, but this might be a more direct way to get that extra $25-50 on a flight by flight basis rather than total spend.

also 

My bet is that the number of elites who are also flying on the cheapest fares is pretty low relatively speaking. And also that UA will not shed too many tears if those cheap elites are marginalized

Marriott cut that out with renewals based on revenue and nights in a certain timeframe

I am a long term frequent flyer and frequent stayer.  Top level Marriott lifetime benefits - for whatever that's worth now. 

I enjoyed AQ class on a few ships - wouldn't go any lower.  In a suite next summer in the Baltic on Apex

1 hour ago, hcat said:

But description of cheap elites seems a bit harsh

If, as I have read repeatedly, cruise lines don't cover their costs on the low-price cabins – those who achieved Elite status with a series of low-price cabins and never added any onboard expenses represent a series of losses to the cruise line. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Denny01 said:

How about being ‘amazed’ at folks who have found a Line that provides what they are looking for so they give that Line priority when checking for itineraries and so on. I cruise X because of what it provides is what I’m looking for when cruising at this time in my life. And now I get some benefits for being a repeat cruiser. And to show you that being E+ isn’t my goal, I’m looking forward to my next two X cruises with AI provided even though I get much of those goodies as E+. Just more flexibility. 

Den

Same here.  Have worked very hard for many years thus as I am able to splurge and I def do.  When I cruise usually once a year, though two coming in 2022.  Celebrity provides me the opportunity to do that.  Great product, superb service etc I don’t mind subsidizing the folks who don’t spend or splurge on board.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tfred said:

it's a term from the Marriott member and almost everything else with users on Flyertalk.com.  Pretty common usage. That site makes what goes on here look like a bunch of Boy Scouts.  If anyone mentioned "where's my two bottles of water ?" they would be run off that site.  Miles, points and status is a blood sport over there .  Here is something that would be common over there

Yep, I agree. But anyone who thinks this is about providing more choice or lower fares to occasional fliers is fooling themselves in my opinion. I do think part of the intent is to grow revenue from the "cheap" elites. I guess I thought PQD's would have solved that problem, but this might be a more direct way to get that extra $25-50 on a flight by flight basis rather than total spend.

also 

My bet is that the number of elites who are also flying on the cheapest fares is pretty low relatively speaking. And also that UA will not shed too many tears if those cheap elites are marginalized

Marriott cut that out with renewals based on revenue and nights in a certain timeframe

I am a long term frequent flyer and frequent stayer.  Top level Marriott lifetime benefits - for whatever that's worth now. 

I enjoyed AQ class on a few ships - wouldn't go any lower.  In a suite next summer in the Baltic on Apex

in my "heydays",  many of my business flights were last moment, and thus big dollars, which is what the agents look at on their screens. It was also nice to be "upfront" to get work done, or just sleep. Not for the food and drinks.

For me, on ships,  and its not like we cruise a lot, we will do Aqua and suites (S1) because of Blu and Lumanae: because it is intimate, and the ambiance is different, and I do not do well with tumult. Whether we do the show or not, we go to dinner later and it's relaxed dining. As well, we get to know the people at other tables and usually we end up dining in small groups. Specialty restaurants--outside of Quisine, no big deal.

It makes the vacation special.

The food is more than ok, (hint for Celebrity, you could  step it up a notch) but the service is usually excellent/superb. And after the second day, they know you and what you like. We are on a vacation and want to be pampered.

At home we rarely splurge, however, we do go to some supper  clubs (one closed during covid) and if you are in Wisconsin you have to go to a supper club up north. A treat. If in Eagle River,/Rhinelander,  try White Stag. Local Sport bars for broasted chicken or burgers etc. And we have some dives we proudly visit.

But on a cruise, we want to do a total 180 from at home.

And Celebrity provides that experience.

We  are going on Oasis sometime this or next fall, with family. I would not dare subject the grandkids to Celebrity. It will be easy to suck it up with the grandkids.

That cruise, (NI VS AI) not much included)  is costing  more than Celebrity, after adjusting for drinks, internet and  grats., for a 1 week cruise where I priced them both out. I believe its more expensive pound for pound than Celebrity. But the kids can zip line, water playground, mini golf.

Grin and Bear it and do it 🙂

• Like 4

We booked with a T/A (big Box) on the Solstice to Alaska on May 13, 2022.  The night after I booked the price went to $999, our inside price was $570.  I just checked and the other three Solstice cruises in May, 2022 are still without AI ($610).  Booking on the Celebrity sight it is always with A/I.  The upgrades came from Captain's Club.

13 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

As I am sure you are aware, Holland America gives you points for ship purchases above cabin cost.

Just a comment on my Oasis trip coming, probably 2022 as I am not ready to take the family on a cruise this year.

CocoCay

That's darned expensive for a day at the beach, and it's like taking the kids/grandkids to 6 flags.  I hear Disney World is an expensive proposition now too. Might make cruising look like a bargain even with the higher prices.

The complimentary stuff--I like that word complementary as much as I like AI, it's the same, is available but that's "just" a day at the beach.

But I am old school. 

Edited by HMR74

50 minutes ago, HMR74 said:

Just a comment on my Oasis trip coming, probably 2022 as I am not ready to take the family on a cruise this year.

CocoCay

That's darned expensive for a day at the beach, and it's like taking the kids/grandkids to 6 flags.  I hear Disney World is an expensive proposition now too. Might make cruising look like a bargain even with the higher prices.

The complimentary stuff--I like that word complementary as much as I like AI, it's the same, is available but that's "just" a day at the beach.

But I am old school. 

there is no shortage of people who take excursions just to go to the beach once they are on St Kitts (or wherever).  Not easy to get to, crowded and generally bombarded by vendors trying to selling you something.  CocoCay is the sanitized version and many people are happy with that - they aren't looking for an adventure

Disney is an expensive vacation - especially if you stay anywhere in a Disney property.  Hotel, park tickets, food, extras can run $10k at Disney for 6 days.  No shortage of people at Disney

Cruise Iines want everyone who hasn't taken a cruise as a vacation that happens to be a cruise, not the other way around 

30 minutes ago, tfred said:

there is no shortage of people who take excursions just to go to the beach once they are on St Kitts (or wherever).  Not easy to get to, crowded and generally bombarded by vendors trying to selling you something.  CocoCay is the sanitized version and many people are happy with that - they aren't looking for an adventure

Disney is an expensive vacation - especially if you stay anywhere in a Disney property.  Hotel, park tickets, food, extras can run $10k at Disney for 6 days.  No shortage of people at Disney

Cruise Iines want everyone who hasn't taken a cruise as a vacation that happens to be a cruise, not the other way around 

When I saw this it woke me up. Just the park is 400 for the day.

But a cabana over water is 1700 for the day for 6 people. But it includes "specialty" meal venue. My daughter tells me they sell out quickly.

Zip line is extra. LOL

the 2021 cruise is there from 7 am to 3 PM and the 2022 cruise from 7 till 5. Another reason for the 2022 cruise.

These cruises can easily get out of hand, cost wise.

image.thumb.png.7af45a4890e39234b9b4b033d3ed7d25.png

Growing up we used to rent a small cottage--perhaps 350 sq feet, and spend the  entire day on the beach playing. BBQ at night: the simple pleasures of life.

Edited by HMR74
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, HMR74 said:

Growing up we used to rent a small cottage--perhaps 350 sq feet, and spend the  entire day on the beach playing. BBQ at night: the simple pleasures of life.

Memories....like you, we liked cottages.....our kids liked camping...their kids not so much of either...no internet..LOL .

10 minutes ago, HMR74 said:

When I saw this it woke me up. Just the park is 400 for the day.

But a cabana over water is 1700 for the day for 6 people. But it includes "specialty" meal venue. My daughter tells me they sell out quickly.

Zip line is extra. LOL

These cruises can easily get out of hand, cost wise.

image.thumb.png.7af45a4890e39234b9b4b033d3ed7d25.png

Just so I understand, the ship pulls up to the dock, if you want to use the water park it costs $400/day?  Is that pp or per cabin?

We have "moved up" to booking small suites and flying overseas in Business.  In our younger days planning included the best ways to save money while traveling.  This is the way we treat ourselves.  No longer can tolerate "cattle class" flying and enjoy the benefits of a larger cabin while cruising.  No longer concerned about "tier" levels, airline or cruise line, just enjoy the experience.  Being retired now for 12 years and on good retirement pensions we can afford the added "luxury" of more space and better treatment by the travel industry.  Coupled with rarely eating out at home and not buying a new car every other year (we have two long-term BWMs with low miles in the garage), enjoying a home in Florida (hate the politics) we are within driving distance of all major ports.  Life is good - will be better in we can embark our three scheduled cruises (TAs and Europe) in 2022.

Edited by Ride-The-Waves
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Denny01 said:

Den

Yes Den that is definitely the point for me too.  I have always very much enjoyed Celebrity.  If it becomes less of a positive experience for me post-pandemic I will just try other lines.  It does not matter at all to me about E+ or the next step making Zenith (which will never happen).  I almost always cruise in a suite.  The loyalty benefits are nice but I really do not use them (except laundry).    I pay a lot extra for the suite (now Retreat) experience.  My choice for what I like.  Loyalty benefits are of little consequence when I make my decision.  On another line I would also sail in suite class.  So no value to loyalty programs there either.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, LGW59 said:

Just so I understand, the ship pulls up to the dock, if you want to use the water park it costs $400/day?  Is that pp or per cabin?

its 53 a day PP

I think there is a basic playground and beach to use.

zip line more, pool cabanas more

beach cabanas even more and over the water cabanas out of sight.

there is "complementary" food but I bet its like the buffet in a way, pizza, burgers, hot dogs , probably salad etc.

My expectations for the family cruise are different-its all about the kids/grandkids.

But I continue to have a good laugh over it all. As I shake my head and roll my eyes.

• Thanks 1