TRAVEL INSURANCE FOR THE ELDERLY

Travel Insurance for the 80 year olds is an absolute disgrace. I have tried 4 insurance companies and with the exception of one of them, the Insurance Companies do not want to sell you Cruise Insurance, or you are too old, or the price for the Insurance is astronomical. One of these companies divided both husband and wife into two separate policies because the male was 4 years older that the female, and they wanted more money for a 13 day cruise to New Zealand than what  the cruise fare cost just for the male partner, and that was a well known Travel Insurance Company. The ages for the two people travelling are 85 and 81 and in good health and are quite active. They did not claim any existing medical problems. What has been your problems, if any, when you go to buy Travel Insurance.

30 minutes ago, Sailaway John said:

Travel Insurance for the 80 year olds is an absolute disgrace. I have tried 4 insurance companies and with the exception of one of them, the Insurance Companies do not want to sell you Cruise Insurance, or you are too old, or the price for the Insurance is astronomical. One of these companies divided both husband and wife into two separate policies because the male was 4 years older that the female, and they wanted more money for a 13 day cruise to New Zealand than what  the cruise fare cost just for the male partner, and that was a well known Travel Insurance Company. The ages for the two people travelling are 85 and 81 and in good health and are quite active. They did not claim any existing medical problems. What has been your problems, if any, when you go to buy Travel Insurance.

If the people are in good health and quite active I would consider carrying their own self insurance with a cruise to NZ.  I got travel insurance for my healthy MIL in her 80s through National Seniors for a trip to the USA, with one exclusion, which I didn't bother with because she was going anyway. She is now 99 and still going strong.  I agree travel insurance in Australia is a disgrace.

When I was younger, I used to travel annually with my daughter who was working in London.  The cost difference between travel insurance available in London and Australia, for the same trip, was disgraceful.  We used to have Travel Coverage in Australia to cover people whose Travel Agents went bankrupt.  The Government let his coverage cease.  On my last package and cruise from London to Europe I was covered by a similiar policy in the U.K.  Any wonder I don't think our Federal Government's priority is what is best for people. 

I’m still a long way from 80 but if I want travel insurance the exclusions make it not worth the effort or the cost totally astronomical. 

I guess the companies have done their sums and worked out what they need to charge to turn a profit.

12 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

I’m still a long way from 80 but if I want travel insurance the exclusions make it not worth the effort or the cost totally astronomical. 

I guess the companies have done their sums and worked out what they need to charge to turn a profit.

Travel insurance in Australia started to go down hill from 70!  I don't have a problem when travel insurance ceases at say age 70.  I have a problem when older people submit medical certificate from their doctor to say they are fit and well, and insurance offered is prohibitive.  I agree the risk has to be taken into account if people have pre-existing illnesses.  

4 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

When I was younger, I used to travel annually with my daughter who was working in London.  The cost difference between travel insurance available in London and Australia, for the same trip, was disgraceful.  We used to have Travel Coverage in Australia to cover people whose Travel Agents went bankrupt.  The Government let his coverage cease.  On my last package and cruise from London to Europe I was covered by a similiar policy in the U.K.  Any wonder I don't think our Federal Government's priority is what is best for people. 

I have pom relos, over the years several have been out here.  The travel insurance premium cost they get from SAGA in UK is way, way below what we pay here.  

I have noted once I turned the big 70, premiums rose significantly, in particular,  when USA was a destination and pre existing issues, like heart etc.

That said in the past 11 years I have had two big travel claims paid by Covermore/nrma, one for $30,000 when Celiac hit me in 2010 and I was too crook to travel for a while. And last year, $20,000 when my wife was diagnosed with terminal cancer and could not travel. Both overseas trips, cruises, flights, hotels, car hire etc.

Edited by NSWP

18 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I have pom relos, over the years several have been out here.  The travel insurance premium cost they get from SAGA in UK is way, way below what we pay here.  

I have noted once I turned the big 70, premiums rose significantly, in particular,  when USA was a destination and pre existing issues, like heart etc.

That said in the past 11 years I have had two big travel claims paid by Covermore/nrma, one for $30,000 when Celiac hit me in 2010 and I was too crook to travel for a while. And last year, $20,000 when my wife was diagnosed with terminal cancer and could not travel. Both overseas trips, cruises, flights, hotels, car hire etc.

A measure of a good travel insurance company is the service you receive when you need to claim.  

The last time I tried to buy a travel insurance policy for a short Qld. coastal cruise from my regular company, who I had insured with in the past with no medical claims, they wouldn't issue me with a policy because my travel was more than 4 months' time.  Needless to say, I cancelled my booking and didn't cruise.  In the past, I didn't insure my regular travel within Australis.  

BTW The weatherman on the ABC News Breakfast this morning recommended Mawson's Hut in Hobart.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yikes! I would have just found a different travel insurer rather than cancelling the cruise!

I was so disgusted, I thought I would arrange insurance within the 4 months, but I didn't.  It is the ferry from Cairns to TI return which runs regularly,  

6 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

We used to have Travel Coverage in Australia to cover people whose Travel Agents went bankrupt.  

The age of the traveller has nought to do with the TA going bankrupt, so I'm not sure what point you are making

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mr walker said:

The age of the traveller has nought to do with the TA going bankrupt, so I'm not sure what point you are making 

The point I am making is that all Australians were covered if their TA went bankrupt.  That is no longer the case.  So not only are our Travel Insurance premiums more expensive, esp as we get older from 70.  We are also not covered if our TA goes bankrupt.  

• Like 1

At age 80+, even the healthiest/fittest of people have a high statistical likelihood of dying at any time. For overseas travel, the cost of transport/evacuation of a body from say London or New York would cost a LOT!!!!! Insurance premiums are worked out from statistical data.  https://understandinsurance.com.au/understanding-risk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

A measure of a good travel insurance company is the service you receive when you need to claim.  

The last time I tried to buy a travel insurance policy for a short Qld. coastal cruise from my regular company, who I had insured with in the past with no medical claims, they wouldn't issue me with a policy because my travel was more than 4 months' time.  Needless to say, I cancelled my booking and didn't cruise.  In the past, I didn't insure my regular travel within Australis.  

BTW The weatherman on the ABC News Breakfast this morning recommended Mawson's Hut in Hobart.

Cheers and thank you for the Mawson Hut Replica Museum plug in ye olde Hobart town.

Edited by NSWP

2 hours ago, bazzaw said:

At age 80+, even the healthiest/fittest of people have a high statistical likelihood of dying at any time. For overseas travel, the cost of transport/evacuation of a body from say London or New York would cost a LOT!!!!! Insurance premiums are worked out from statistical data.  https://understandinsurance.com.au/understanding-risk

Thanks for reminding us young Barry.😇God bless you my son.

Edited by NSWP

3 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

The point I am making is that all Australians were covered if their TA went bankrupt.  That is no longer the case.  So not only are our Travel Insurance premiums more expensive, esp as we get older from 70.  We are also not covered if our TA goes bankrupt.  

Hence the underwriters up the risk premiums.