Covid On Board?

mellon1

If you read the latest edict by CDC to the Cruise lines, they are required to have an agreement with each port to take care of any patients with Covid.  This is the biggest hurdle IMHO for the cruise lines to overcome before we can sail!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, mellon1 said:

What is the scenario if you have vaccine and you end up having covid on board?  Do they leave you at the next port or what???????

They will put you on a life raft and leave you 😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Mary Ann 2 said:

If you read the latest edict by CDC to the Cruise lines, they are required to have an agreement with each port to take care of any patients with Covid.  This is the biggest hurdle IMHO for the cruise lines to overcome before we can sail!

Yes.  I have to agree.  We would not want to be left at a port of call.  I don't think anyone would say they even thought they would have it if that would be the case!

Sorry

20 hours ago, mellon1 said:

What is the scenario if you have vaccine and you end up having covid on board?  Do they leave you at the next port or what???????

Just to give you an idea what another line (Royal Caribbean) lists if you would test positive onboard (subject to change of course 😉😞

Sickness Onboard

"If you test positive for COVID-19 when you are onboard, we will provide a 100% refund of the price of your cruise for you and your travelling party, we will provide your medical treatment onboard and we will arrange safe quarantine for you and your travelling party as required. We will also make arrangements for your return home and for the return home of your travelling party. We will bear the reasonable costs of these arrangements. We strongly encourage you to take out fully comprehensive travel insurance for any supplementary costs, in accordance with our standard booking conditions."

1 minute ago, SeaHunt said:

Sorry

Just to give you an idea what another line (Royal Caribbean) lists if you would test positive onboard (subject to change of course 😉😞

Sickness Onboard

"If you test positive for COVID-19 when you are onboard, we will provide a 100% refund of the price of your cruise for you and your travelling party, we will provide your medical treatment onboard and we will arrange safe quarantine for you and your travelling party as required. We will also make arrangements for your return home and for the return home of your travelling party. We will bear the reasonable costs of these arrangements. We strongly encourage you to take out fully comprehensive travel insurance for any supplementary costs, in accordance with our standard booking conditions."

Thanks for that.  I am going...hmmm...arrange safe quarantine....on board or at port of call?

Anyone out there know of a good supplemental insurance for cruising?

I noticed this on today's Princess email/ad for 2023 cruises:

"We are staying atop health and safety protocols in our continuing effort to minimize the risk of exposure to COVID-19, which may also impact our voyages and offerings, including amenities and itineraries. If a threshold of COVID-19 is detected on board the ship, the voyage will be ended, the ship will return to the port of embarkation, and your subsequent travel home may be restricted or delayed. Health and safety protocols, guest conduct rules, and regional travel restrictions vary by ship and destination, and are subject to change without notice." (underlining is mine)

I don't know if this is their final decision, but I wasn't thrilled to see that this is what they were considering. Royal Caribbean's policy as mentioned above is what I was hoping for.  Guess we'll see how it all shakes out!

38 minutes ago, Mary Ann 2 said:

If a threshold of COVID-19 is detected on board the ship, the voyage will be ended, the ship will return to the port of embarkation, and your subsequent travel home may be restricted or delayed.

To be fair, this sounds just like their policy with onboard norovirus, which has derailed numerous voyages throughout cruising history. The key word is "threshold" and they'll have to investigate how far-reaching the spread was in the case that COVID became endemic on the vessel, which already seems like the worst-case scenario. So I'd hope that Princess' policy is going to resemble Royal Caribbean's. In fact, I really hope CLIA adopts an industry standard that all lines can abide by, which makes things much easier for guests. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mary Ann 2 said:

I noticed this on today's Princess email/ad for 2023 cruises:

"We are staying atop health and safety protocols in our continuing effort to minimize the risk of exposure to COVID-19, which may also impact our voyages and offerings, including amenities and itineraries. If a threshold of COVID-19 is detected on board the ship, the voyage will be ended, the ship will return to the port of embarkation, and your subsequent travel home may be restricted or delayed. Health and safety protocols, guest conduct rules, and regional travel restrictions vary by ship and destination, and are subject to change without notice." (underlining is mine)

I don't know if this is their final decision, but I wasn't thrilled to see that this is what they were considering. Royal Caribbean's policy as mentioned above is what I was hoping for.  Guess we'll see how it all shakes out!

We have no idea how low/high the number of people with Covid-19 has to be to reach the "threshold." That is a number that the cruise lines and the CDC will have to agree on.

The Royal Caribbean policy quoted applies to an individual (and traveling party) who comes down with Covid-19 during a cruise. It does not address what would happen if a "threshold" number of cases was reached.

And a threshold number would include both crew and passengers, not just passengers.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, caribill said:

We have no idea how low/high the number of people with Covid-19 has to be to reach the "threshold." That is a number that the cruise lines and the CDC will have to agree on.

The Royal Caribbean policy quoted applies to an individual (and traveling party) who comes down with Covid-19 during a cruise. It does not address what would happen if a "threshold" number of cases was reached.

And a threshold number would include both crew and passengers, not just passengers.

And we don't even know if the threshold will be a certain number or a percentage or even if however it is defined be the same for a totally vaccinated ship versus a non-totally vaccinated ship.

On 5/4/2021 at 1:22 PM, SeaHunt said:

Oops not sure where the "Sorry" and the sad face emoji came from in my post, but it won't let edit it to correct it now for some reason...

Re insurance, you might have a look here, or you can call them and tell them what you're looking for and they will advise:

https://tripinsurancestore.com/

Thanks!