Star Breeze cabins

Mocamps

We've now booked onto 2 Windstar cruises for this summer. The first is on Wind Star where we're in a B cabin. We've been on Wind Star before and we're happy with our cabin as most of the cabins are identical and we're happy on the lower deck.

But we haven't ever been on the non-sailing ships so don't know much about the Star Breeze. Our cabin is 413 which is the lowest level of Oceanview. We had a choice between that and the Porthole ones on Deck 3 for very little price difference and we liked the bigger window. Does anyone know anything about the merits or otherwise of the various Star Breeze cabins?  I couldn't see much difference between them all unless you're in a suite of course! There was a big price difference for a balcony cabin but as you can't sit on the balcony I didn't think it was worth it.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you

The Ocean View suites are priced by location fore and aft and by deck.  The major difference is with the Star Ocean View suites.  These are in the newly added part of the ship and feature the sleeping area adjacent to the window with the seating area as you enter the stateroom.

Thank you. I don't really care about location as neither of us suffers with motion sickness (not even in the Drake passage!!) and, to be honest, I'm very happy with the seating area by the window. So looks like we'll be OK with 413!

We have taken several longer trips on the motor yachts. We are glad they left some of the rooms in the original configuration. It’s a large cabin and the seating area is spacious and comfortable.  One of our favorite things to do is sit by the big window and watch the sea go by.  The area around the bathroom/closet doors and bed is tighter than I would like, but I’m willing to trade that for sitting by the window any day. It’s particularly nice when the weather outside is very cold, and then there’s always room service. 🙂

Edited by Pudgesmom

13 hours ago, Pudgesmom said:

We have taken several longer trips on the motor yachts. We are glad they left some of the rooms in the original configuration. It’s a large cabin and the seating area is spacious and comfortable.  One of our favorite things to do is sit by the big window and watch the sea go by.  The area around the bathroom/closet doors and bed is tighter than I would like, but I’m willing to trade that for sitting by the window any day. It’s particularly nice when the weather outside is very cold, and then there’s always room service. 🙂

Agree, Mom.  Also nice not to navigate the sitting room furniture to get to the bathroom during the night.

3 hours ago, marinaro44 said:

Agree, Mom.  Also nice not to navigate the sitting room furniture to get to the bathroom during the night.

Great point!! I'm happier and happier with my allocation!!

I understand why the cabin layouts are grouped the way they are [the new cabins are in the new block that was spliced in], but it would be nice if the choice was sprinkled among different locations.  Having the sitting area near the window and the bed near the bathroom seems win-win, but the new cabins are in the ideal location for a smooth ride.  You pays yer money and takes yer cherce!

When I booked a cabin in the new block with the new configuration I made some joke to the Windstar rep about how that block was probably going to fall out at the first sign of rough seas. The Windstar rep came right back with, "No, they do a great job with that duct tape."  Tickled me.

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

We have now been on the Star Pride and Star Legend (and Wind Spirit).  We truly prefer having  the living room area on the window/balcony side (have done both).  Since wife tends to sleep in later than I do, I can pull the divider curtain and enjoy the world outside (plus day's news), while she continues to sleep. Having the seating area near the window is also pleasant when friends (old and new) drop by to visit sometimes before heading off to dinner.

For some, this type of seating with a view is what the Yacht Club is all about.  And I agree, but not until I have delivered wife's coffee; which usually means 30-45 minutes later.  However, by that point I have usually been to the Yacht Club at least twice before she is up, for refills.

This flip of the bed and seating mostly started with the river cruise lines.  I suspect it will not be that popular on Windstar motor yachts, even though it also common on the Windstar sailing vessels, with more portholes and fewer large window, or french balonies.

Hint for early "coffee runner" husbands: Cabins near the forward elevator and stairs (near 418, 518 or 614 area), give you an express route to the Yacht Club.

We are in 401 - which I think the lowest ocean view room.  But I am excited as it has a totally different layout than any of the other cabins(except 400).  I will report back after our cruise with photos of the updated cabin  and report.

Found this from 2016 on this board ->  Cabin 401

• Like 1

Am I correct in that no one has had the opportunity to sail in the stretched ships yet?  We are in a cabin in the new section, and are wondering if there are more outlets and any USB ports...  Also, are there nightlights in the bathrooms?  Or an outlet to plug one in?  EM

Edited by Essiesmom

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

Am I correct in that no one has had the opportunity to sail in the stretched ships yet?  We are in a cabin in the new section, and are wondering if there are more outlets and any USB ports...  Also, are there nightlights in the bathrooms?  Or an outlet to plug one in?  EM

Yes, you are correct. Cruising shut down after work had started on the first one. 

There is an outlet in the bathroom. I should know but can't remember whether there in a night light in the bathroom. 

I avoid using built-in USB outlets anywhere because they usually don't indicate their charging capacity and don't deliver the power for fast charging. Some don't even deliver enough to keep up with modern device run power needs.

There's always been at least one 220 V Euro outlet and one 110 US outlet at the desk/vanity.

I take a universal plug adapter that provides a couple of okay USB outlets and a US power outlet, a travel USB charger with high power ports and a couple of power banks. One power bank to provide power when out and about and charge at night, one power bank to use bedside and charge during the day. That way I don't have to be concerned about where the outlets are. 

16 hours ago, 6rugrats said:

The only outlet in the bathroom used to be for an electric shaver.

I have has mixed success plugging a nightlight into the shaver outlet.  Also camera chargers.  Will experiment.  EM

If I remember correctly, it states to not plug in other appliances.  If you need a nightlight, just bring a small one with batteries because there were not any in the bathroom.  I don't know if one has been added; it would be a good idea.

I did a B2B2B on Celebrity Millennium before she was Solsticized, maybe 2012.  She had the old style hairdryers that hung on th wall in the bathroom, with the pleated hose.  The shaver outlet was right in the middle.  The company had placed nightlights in that outlet.  By the time I sailed their Infinity the next year, those dryers had been removed and replaced with nightlight fixtures, and there was no outlet at all in the bathroom.  EM

On 5/30/2021 at 12:26 AM, Del Rio said:

We have now been on the Star Pride and Star Legend (and Wind Spirit).  We truly prefer having  the living room area on the window/balcony side (have done both).

Comparing the cabins on the sailing ships to the motor yachts is sort of comparing  apples to oranges. As you know, the staterooms on the motor yachts are about twice the size of the sailing ships. Bathrooms and closets are also very differently configured. 

As stated earlier, no one has yet sailed on the new configuration with the bed by the window on the motor yachts, so we don’t really know yet how those rooms will be received.

On 5/30/2021 at 11:57 AM, Essiesmom said:

There are no outlets or nightlight in the bathroom unless they were added during the stretch. I buy battery operated tea lights in the grocery store. Generally a dozen for a few dollars and use them on the ship and in hotels. I always bring extra to give to friends. And because you can place them and use more than one, sometimes I outline a particular area that might cause a trip during the night.

On 5/30/2021 at 11:57 AM, Essiesmom said:

I am currently booked on the Star Breeze in one of the new "Star Suites". Let's see if they have added USB ports next to the bed. I'll take photos on July 3rd and post them.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...