What about elevators?

swifty

5 hours ago, donaldsc said:

Escalators on a ship take too much deck space and are totally impractical.

DON

Surely the designers could figure out a way to make it work. We toured the galley on the Pacific (really small ship, right?) and there was an escalator for the wait staff to go from one part of the galley to a second part on a different deck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've always wondered why there were no escalators on board a ship.  But then thinking again, they do not allow strollers, wheelchairs, walkers, and canes are definitely worrisome.  I have seen my share of non-functioning escalators in one direction or another, making "walking" up/down stopped escalators a true danger.  

But then again, I've been on ships that have had non-working elevators during the (entire) cruise.  This hampers movement from floor to floor.

Oh, to be young again.

6 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

non-working elevators during the (entire) cruise.  This hampers movement from floor to floor.

at that point ( and I'm not 'quite' there yet ) - I would simply flag down a crew and if needed, use the crew only elevators to get the scooter to my floor ... Certainly hope it doesn't come to that, but I have been thinking about it ... Our next cruise is aft - 14th floor - I can see the elevators full going up to the buffet - and also down with people  from the buffet going down

• Like 1

17 hours ago, caribill said:

It does not matter how rationally we think. If the CDC says that an elevator can only have one family group on it or no more than four unrelated cruisers, that is the way it will have to be if a USA port is involved.

I agree that the CDC makes the rules here.... doesn't mean one has to accept them with open arms.  Sure, I'll live by their rules, but irrational rules will make me want to ignore the guidelines they issue all the more then... and I guarantee that I'm not alone.  Their credibility will suffer.

I've been involved with other regulatory processes and trust me, when poor rules are issued, compliance with them suffer and additional non-compliance leaks into other areas.  When good rules are promulgated, even more positive behaviors result.

1 hour ago, Redwing55 said:

I agree that the CDC makes the rules here.... doesn't mean one has to accept them with open arms.  Sure, I'll live by their rules, but irrational rules will make me want to ignore the guidelines they issue all the more then... and I guarantee that I'm not alone.  Their credibility will suffer.

I've been involved with other regulatory processes and trust me, when poor rules are issued, compliance with them suffer and additional non-compliance leaks into other areas.  When good rules are promulgated, even more positive behaviors result.

They are being urged to lighten up on their indoor masking rules with vaccinations increasing. One reason is that if there is another surge of cases, maybe they will be taken seriously.

Fauci Says Indoor Mask Guidance Should Ease With Vaccinations (msn.com)

13 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I've always wondered why there were no escalators on board a ship.  But then thinking again, they do not allow strollers, wheelchairs, walkers, and canes are definitely worrisome.  I have seen my share of non-functioning escalators in one direction or another, making "walking" up/down stopped escalators a true danger.  

But then again, I've been on ships that have had non-working elevators during the (entire) cruise.  This hampers movement from floor to floor.

Oh, to be young again.

There are escalators on cruise ships! Both the Original Crown and Regal Princess (and maybe the original Star Princess) had escalators in the galleys. It must have been a recipe for a lot of broken dishes! On Holland America, originally the Statendam class had them in public spaces too--one short one that connected two busy decks. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/7/2021 at 6:24 PM, wowzz said:

The fact is that CV19 is transmitted through the atmosphere.  The chances of catching CV19 through surface transference is negligible.

So, sanitizers on a ship are a good thing, but they are useless in reducing transmission of CV19. 

"...useless..."?

Hardly.  COVID-19 and a host of other illnesses are transmitted by touch, as well as directly through inhalation.   A sneeze where droplets are collected ton a hand and the hand is used to touch others or touch yourself can transmit COVID-19.  

• Like 2

On 5/8/2021 at 4:10 PM, Redwing55 said:

I find it laughable how people are so concerned about riding an elevator.  Think about this.  How is Covid transmitted?... through the air.  BUT, and this is important... how long does one need to be exposed before it can be contacted... Our beloved, so conservative, CDC admits MORE than 15 minutes.  Knowing the CDC, I suspect it's much longer than that.  And, now think if you're vaccinated.  

What's the alternative... taking stairs right?  Now you tell me,  How hard will most of us breathe going up and down these stairs?  So what might those people following or in front of you be breathing or exhaling? This might answer the dilemma... take the lifts!  Frankly, this whole topic is a bit ridiculous.  If most of the ship is vaccinated, just being on it prevents a lower risk than most any other place you might be... other than ones own residence.  

Come on people, let's think rationally and don't let fear mongers stress you out.

So the solution you propose is to stay off any cruise ship...

On 5/9/2021 at 3:50 AM, donaldsc said:

Escalators on a ship take too much deck space and are totally impractical.

DON

There was an escalator on my first USN ship - USS Kitty Hawk.  Designed to move flight crews quickly up 4 decks.  Even when off it offered a quick way to move up and down those 4 decks.  It was a real bear to maintain.

20 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

"...useless..."?

Hardly.  COVID-19 and a host of other illnesses are transmitted by touch, as well as directly through inhalation.   A sneeze where droplets are collected ton a hand and the hand is used to touch others or touch yourself can transmit COVID-19.  

OK, "useless" might be a bit strong, but overall, surface transference is unlikely to lead to anyone catching CV19. 

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-10-06/chance-of-catching-covid-19-from-surfaces-less-than-previously-thought-scientists-claim

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

OK, "useless" might be a bit strong, but overall, surface transference is unlikely to lead to anyone catching CV19. 

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-10-06/chance-of-catching-covid-19-from-surfaces-less-than-previously-thought-scientists-claim

A 7-month old media report is less than "expert" and "current" as a source.  While medical experts, including the CDC, have revised the transference by contact estimates for COVID-19 transmission, the consensus is that it is not zero or even close.  Wiping down surfaces is highly recommended.  Supermarkets, restaurants, pharmacies and other places of commerce provide and continue to offer sanitization sprays, cloths and sanitized carts for use.  My spouse wipes down the inside of the car after we have been out.  Gas stations are another center where wiping down helps arrest transmission.

Edited by Ride-The-Waves
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

A 7-month old media report is less than "expert" and "current" as a source.  While medical experts, including the CDC, have revised the transference bay contact estimates for COVID-19 transmission, the consensus is that tis not zero or even close.  Wiping down surfaces is highly recommended.  Supermarkets, restaurants, pharmacies and other places of commerce provide continue to offer sanitization sprays, cloths and sanitized carts for use.  My spouse wipes down the inside of the car after we have been out.  Gas stations are another center where wiping down helps arrest transmission.

Chance of (a) being exposed to significant viral loading through surface contact, and (b) then infecting oneself by rubbing your eyes, nose etc with the exact part of your body exposed to that extreme loading, is so unlikely as to not be worthy of consideration.

In the early days of the epidemic, I used to sanitize everything. Now, like most others in the UK, I don't bother. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

So the solution you propose is to stay off any cruise ship...

Just the opposite... Let people on the cruise ship.  Why should that venue be treated any differently?  If anything, since there is not a huge turnover of individuals during a cruise, the risks are lower than many land based activities.

On 5/6/2021 at 12:07 PM, K.T.B. said:

There will be ways to limit the number of passengers on elevators.  I know one building in Chicago placed a large tube like structure in the middle of the elevators and that reduced the total to about 4-6 people per elevator when they could jam in about 10 or so usually.  And the only time it would be a major issue is during disembarkation.

Personally, going down stairs is not a big deal, but going up is.  Not sure why my knees only bother me when I go up...

That would be really weird.  April 29 the Denver airport trains were packing people in and still not keeping up with the crowds (40-50 people/car).  Heavier traffic than holidays.  If they had limited people in the concourse trains it would have taken 10 or 12 trains to get to the front of the line instead of just three.  And the recorded voice of the Denver mayor saying keep 6' apart - actual was less than 6" and entire car laughed at him.