What is Your Favorite Appetizers you had on your Cruise......

BklynBoy8

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi BB, sounds delicious🙂

Lois,

One of the top App in a seafood restaurant. But it has to me made right. They have to be tender and that juice I can have just for dinner lone with crispy bread. A good Caesar to accompany it. WOW...... I'm making that tonight actually.

On 8/6/2021 at 1:39 AM, BklynBoy8 said:

Looks to try the Steak & Mushroom Pie also the Cottage Pie like a Shepherds Pie. Not a fan of the other selections.

Not a fan of Bubble and Squeak but will keep an open mind. 

What is Bubble and Squeak?  How does a Cumberland Sausage differ from other Sausages?   Your choices to try are also ones that I would select.  The Golden Lion Ploughman's Lunch is another one that I think I would enjoy.  

It's been a very long time since I have read a Pub Lunch menu.  Thank you for posting it.  

4 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

What is Bubble and Squeak?  How does a Cumberland Sausage differ from other Sausages?   Your choices to try are also ones that I would select.  The Golden Lion Ploughman's Lunch is another one that I think I would enjoy.  

It's been a very long time since I have read a Pub Lunch menu.  Thank you for posting it.  

Bubble and squeak is basically left over veggies from a boiled dinner…boiled potato, cabbage, etc.  Call it a British frittata.  A Cumberland sausage is a British banger.  A thicker sausage usually made with meal…like oat meal as a filler to supplement the pork.  The original Cumberland sausage came in a long coil.  The flavor is like a well spiced but mild sausage…a true delight.  They are some of my favorites.  The ploughman’s lunch would suit me too as well as the steak and kidney pie.  I love steak and kidney pie.

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

In the local English Pubs in NYC Bubble & Squeak is made a bit different.

Bubble & Squeak is a sausage accompanied by a Mashed Potato type of cake patty. Not like potato pancake. I is also openly mashed with the Sausages laid upon it. I do expect to try it the next time on board B&S.

Cumberland Sausage is something new to me.

I know there are other dishes like Toad in a Hole and Bangers and Mash...

Toad in the hole is a traditional English dish consisting of sausages in Yorkshire pudding batter, usually served with onion gravy and vegetables.

Bangers and mash is a traditional dish of Great Britain, consisting of sausages served with mashed potatoes.

They have many dishes with sausages.

I know there are very few sausages on their Breakfast Menu now a days compared to the old days. There were two americans and three english sausages on the QE2 in the past compared to attached menu.

CU_BR_Breakfast.pdf

23 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

In the local English Pubs in NYC Bubble & Squeak is made a bit different.

Bubble & Squeak is a sausage accompanied by a Mashed Potato type of cake patty. Not like potato pancake. I is also openly mashed with the Sausages laid upon it. I do expect to try it the next time on board B&S.

Cumberland Sausage is something new to me.

I know there are other dishes like Toad in a Hole and Bangers and Mash...

Toad in the hole is a traditional English dish consisting of sausages in Yorkshire pudding batter, usually served with onion gravy and vegetables.

Bangers and mash is a traditional dish of Great Britain, consisting of sausages served with mashed potatoes.

They have many dishes with sausages.

I know there are very few sausages on their Breakfast Menu now a days compared to the old days. There were two americans and three english sausages on the QE2 in the past compared to attached menu.

CU_BR_Breakfast.pdf 344.92 kB · 2 downloads

Your bubble and squeak sounds like bangers and mashed minus the onion gravy.  What you describe is not bubble and squeak.  I would be shocked if a Cunard ship did not have a proper British banger at breakfast.  Back in 2008 we crossed from Southampton to Fll on RCI Jewell Of The Seas and they had a pile of bangers for breakfast every morning as they had been cruising out of Southampton.  I was in hog Heaven!  

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE

19 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Bubble and squeak is basically left over veggies from a boiled dinner…boiled potato, cabbage, etc.  Call it a British frittata.  A Cumberland sausage is a British banger.  A thicker sausage usually made with meal…like oat meal as a filler to supplement the pork.  The original Cumberland sausage came in a long coil.  The flavor is like a well spiced but mild sausage…a true delight.  They are some of my favorites.  The ploughman’s lunch would suit me too as well as the steak and kidney pie.  I love steak and kidney pie.

Thank you.  Bubble and Squeak, Cumberland Sausage (I have had a British banger):  yes, I would enjoy them.  Have not had steak and kidney pie, but am not adverse to try it.  I enjoy Sweetbreads when I see them on a menu while some of my tablemates are aghast at my choice of such an item.  

8 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Thank you.  Bubble and Squeak, Cumberland Sausage (I have had a British banger):  yes, I would enjoy them.  Have not had steak and kidney pie, but am not adverse to try it.  I enjoy Sweetbreads when I see them on a menu while some of my tablemates are aghast at my choice of such an item.  

Steak and kidney pie is basically beef stew…in pastry…sometimes mushrooms are added too…delish!  Sweetbreads have always been a delicacy.  I remember my chef at the Ritz yelling at me when I almost knocked a tray off a table.  He told me they were worth more than I was!  Lol…he had a bombastic demeanor but he was a great chef.  Sweet breads are wonderful.  Like any other delicacy…they are wonderful if prepared properly.  I believe you might see Vol au Vent Financier on a ship’s menu from time to time.

23 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I remember my chef at the Ritz yelling at me when I almost knocked a tray off a table.  He told me they were worth more than I was!  Lol…he had a bombastic demeanor but he was a great chef.  Sweet breads are wonderful.  Like any other delicacy…they are wonderful if prepared properly.  

Not frequently, but my Mother would prepare various organ meats, i.e. tongue, brains, liver in addition to Sweetbreads.  My Mother was an excellent cook (as was her Mother).  She and I enjoyed these meats, although, I will admit that beef tongue is not something that I would ever choose to eat again.  My Brother and Father always had a separate meat when she would prepare these delicacies.  

But, my Father was a hunter and a fisherman.  Pheasant and rabbit (watch out for the buckshot) appeared on my dinner plate.  And, several species of local fish as well.  

I agree with you 100%.  The preparation of these foods the first time one tries them has a major influence on whether one would try them again,  

On 8/8/2021 at 4:30 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Steak and kidney pie is basically beef stew…in pastry…sometimes mushrooms are added too…delish!  Sweetbreads have always been a delicacy.  I remember my chef at the Ritz yelling at me when I almost knocked a tray off a table.  He told me they were worth more than I was!  Lol…he had a bombastic demeanor but he was a great chef.  Sweet breads are wonderful.  Like any other delicacy…they are wonderful if prepared properly.  I believe you might see Vol au Vent Financier on a ship’s menu from time to time.

I know many are talking about the Steak and Kidney Pie here but it's Steak and Guinness Mushroom Suet Pie on the menu in Golden Lion.

I know it was offered in the past on the QE2 and my dad liked Steak & Kidney Pie. It is even served in Keen's Chop House in Midtown Manhattan as a favorite. 

42 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi rka, my parents both loved tongue........they would order a tongue sandwich anytime we went to a good Deli..........

Since my father was a chef we had many interesting items at home. Pork tenderloin was great. Tongue was tender and reminded us of tenderloin. We use a good mustard. Calf stomach was always used with tomato sauce for delicious Tripe. Liver and Onions with chopped egg added for favor. 

Being Polish Pigs Feet in Gelatin known as "Zimne Nogi". Also used in Hunters Stew also known as "Bigos" with barrel made sauerkraut. Nothing like fresh made sauerkraut in a barrel locally.

Warm Tongue on Rye with a proper mustard with Half Sour Pickles, WOW..... Have to get some from our Jewish Deli next time. Tongue is too big for two people for me to buy and use so just from the Deli.

56 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi rka, my parents both loved tongue........they would order a tongue sandwich anytime we went to a good Deli..........

Nothing like a good tongue sandwich on rye with deli mustard.  Also with baby Swiss for some of us.  I learned to eat tongue when I was 16 years old and touring England.  I also learned to eat pickled lamb’s tongue when I was young.  My grandfather introduced me to this delicacy.  

19 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

I know many are talking about the Steak and Kidney Pie here but it's Steak and Guinness Mushroom Suet Pie on the menu in Golden Lion.

I know it was offered in the past on the QE2 and my dad liked Steak & Kidney Pie. It is even served in Keen's Chop House in Midtown Manhattan as a favorite. 

Close enough…the addition of Guinness gives the pie a distinct flavor.  Keen’s Chop House is a N.Y. icon.  I doubt I’d order steak and kidney pie if I went there…but who knows.  Would it compete with a big char broiled filet steak with mushroom sauce??

I am gaining a gastronomic education with the above posts.  

I think I will stick to my menu for this evening of a Roast Beef Sandwich with Swiss Cheese, Potato Salad, and Creamy Cole Slaw followed by a slice of a delicious fresh Peach Pie.  😁

2 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Nothing like a good tongue sandwich on rye with deli mustard.  Also with baby Swiss for some of us.  I learned to eat tongue when I was 16 years old and touring England.  I also learned to eat pickled lamb’s tongue when I was young.  My grandfather introduced me to this delicacy.  

I love swiss cheese😃

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I am gaining a gastronomic education with the above posts.  

I think I will stick to my menu for this evening of a Roast Beef Sandwich with Swiss Cheese, Potato Salad, and Creamy Cole Slaw followed by a slice of a delicious fresh Peach Pie.  😁

Sounds good RK.  One of my favorites is roasted strip loin, in my own oven, done medium rare to medium…my own recipe.  Served on soft French bread with lettuce, tomato and thin onion.  Where did you get the peach pie???

4 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Keen’s Chop House is a N.Y. icon.........Would it compete with a big char broiled filet steak with mushroom sauce??

Unfortunately Keen's lost it's touch quite sometime ago.... Very disappointed the last time there...Not the same and this goes back years.

We prefer even though some call it a tourist trap.....Peter Lugers, Brooklyn..

Besides being a stones throw from us because of the BQE, we have never been disappointed. From their bacon App, Tomato & Onion w their Sauce, T Bone w the Right Temp....German Home Fries/Cream Spinach... Dessert so great with Strudel w Shlag..... Their Chocolate Sundae too much...

Couldn't ask for anything more.......

5 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Unfortunately Keen's lost it's touch quite sometime ago.... Very disappointed the last time there...Not the same and this goes back years.

We prefer even though some call it a tourist trap.....Peter Lugers, Brooklyn..

Besides being a stones throw from us because of the BQE, we have never been disappointed. From their bacon App, Tomato & Onion w their Sauce, T Bone w the Right Temp....German Home Fries/Cream Spinach... Dessert so great with Strudel w Shlag..... Their Chocolate Sundae too much...

Couldn't ask for anything more.......

Glad to hear Lugers is still delivering the goods.  Fear not…the owners of Keen’s will not let it slip too long.

5 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Glad to hear Lugers is still delivering the goods.  Fear not…the owners of Keen’s will not let it slip too long.

Hope so mixed reviews not favorable during these day in Manhattan. Many other choices are available now in NYC....

Smith & Wollensky and Porter House are very good. Michael Lomonaco in Porter has a excellent setup.

SSmith & Wollenskymith & Wollensky

6 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Hope so mixed reviews not favorable during these day in Manhattan. Many other choices are available now in NYC....

Smith & Wollensky and Porter House are very good. Michael Lomonaco in Porter has a excellent setup.

SSmith & Wollenskymith & Wollensky

You have a great selection of steakhouses in NY.  I always look for dry aged steak.  If I’m going to shell out a couple of hundred dollars for dinner I want it to be the best.  I also want a really comfortable room with all the fixtures and, most of all, comfortable seating.  How I miss some of the classic Boston restaurants that have been wiped out over the years.  We are fortunate to have a few new restaurants in the area that get it.  You pay a premium but once in a while it’s nice to have a good steak.

2 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

You have a great selection of steakhouses in NY.  I always look for dry aged steak.  If I’m going to shell out a couple of hundred dollars for dinner I want it to be the best.  I also want a really comfortable room with all the fixtures and, most of all, comfortable seating.  How I miss some of the classic Boston restaurants that have been wiped out over the years.  We are fortunate to have a few new restaurants in the area that get it.  You pay a premium but once in a while it’s nice to have a good steak.

Real Steakhouses like Lugers are once a year.

Local ones like Chadwicks in Bay Ridge can be several times a year for special occasions like birthday, anniversary and special visits of family or friends. But use them for regular meals. 

3 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Real Steakhouses like Lugers are once a year.

Local ones like Chadwicks in Bay Ridge can be several times a year for special occasions like birthday, anniversary and special visits of family or friends. But use them for regular meals. 

I can reveal a little secret.  DW and I don’t really enjoy high end dining.  An upscale steak is nice once or twice a year but normally…we enjoy diners, bar rooms and dives.  We have a number of these that are our go-to places where we meet friends and enjoy a leisurely meal.  Once you’ve spent a couple of weeks onboard a great ship, enjoying a high end cruise experience, you tend to welcome a more relaxed dining venue.  DW claims I can replicate any high end dining experience.  I guess she’s biased…lol.  I’ll check out Chadwick’s…sounds nice. 

• Like 1

On 8/9/2021 at 10:17 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Where did you get the peach pie???

My local upscale grocer who has an excellent bakery.  The pie is just chocked full of peaches.  

Regarding New York Steakhouses, the East 52nd Street area had a couple that appealed to me.  Gallagher's is a name I recall; the other one, I don't recall it's name.  I walked by both and looked in the windows and saw patrons that were certainly not this Ohio tourist dressed as I was.  I dined elsewhere that night.

And, I wonder, does anyone recall a restaurant called the U. S. Steakhouse?  It was a restaurant that President Carter patronized when he visited New York City once.  I did dine there several months after he was there and remember a very good dinner.