What is your Favorite Salad you had on a Cruise.....

BklynBoy8

On 6/1/2021 at 5:11 PM, rkacruiser said:

Well, you had your salad last Friday.  Today is Tuesday.  Lots of leftovers don't look so good 4 days later.  Salads are one of them.  Any lettuce based salads that I buy as a take-out or take home, I need to consume within another day or two (at the latest) or it visits the dumpster.  

Thanks for remembering to respond, however!  

yeah.  I just forgot about....an already dressed salad is not going to last much beyond the next day and that one was already sub par

• Like 1

4 hours ago, seamus69 said:

yeah.  I just forgot about....an already dressed salad is not going to last much beyond the next day and that one was already sub par

We store alot of lettuce in the Refrig. Boston, Butternut, Leafy Red Lead or Royal Oak Leaf from the local Public Roof Garden. Made fresh each day is a treat.

Only the Caesar from our local Italian Rest.....can last for 2-3 days crispy.

On 6/5/2021 at 12:44 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

We store alot of lettuce in the Refrig. Boston, Butternut, Leafy Red Lead or Royal Oak Leaf from the local Public Roof Garden. Made fresh each day is a treat.

Only the Caesar from our local Italian Rest.....can last for 2-3 days crispy.

Now we had leftover salad greens from Sunday tonight, but they weren't dressed so they held up fine, just added onion, olives, Italian dressing, and fresh course ground black pepper.  I forgot to add cheese....sigh

• Like 1

Maybe a slight deviation for this thread, but I wonder what opinions might there be about the dish in which the salad is served?

What opinions there might be about the temperature of the fork that is presented with a table side made salad?  

30 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Maybe a slight deviation for this thread, but I wonder what opinions might there be about the dish in which the salad is served?

What opinions there might be about the temperature of the fork that is presented with a table side made salad?  

In my opinion, a cold salad should be served in a cold dish🙂

32 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

If you remember on the QE2 we use to get the fork from a deep bowl of ice so it's chilled.

The dishes are the typical table wear of the dining room.

Edited by BklynBoy8

2 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

If you remember on the QE2 we use to get the fork from a deep bowl of ice so it's chilled.

Not in the Tables of the World Restaurant.  

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

In my opinion, a cold salad should be served in a cold dish🙂

Yes, that is what I think as well.  

A few cruises ago, HAL ended the guest's ability of making their own salad in the Lido Restaurant.  The crew member prepared it for you as you pointed out the the items in the salad bar that one wanted.  My issue then--and remains--with this practice is the size of the plastic bowl that was used.  Even for a buffet restaurant, it seemed inappropriate.  So large, that a guest could easily over estimate the amount of the salad "fixings" one requested.  Thus:  waste!  

I don't expect a salad prepared/served in the Lido Restaurant to be served in a chilled bowl with a chilled fork.  I have experienced such.  But, it is not the "standard" salad service that I have found for a long time, even in the specialty restaurants of most cruise lines.  

This may be a surprise to some.  But, the most recent "cold fork/cold bowl" service I have experienced was in a Carnival Cruise ship's Steakhouse:  tableside preparation of a Caesar Salad with proper service.  

• 2 months later...

One that has learned how to make a authentic Caesar Salad Dressing from scratch is always disappointed with restaurants faking it.

A Caesar Dressing should not come out of a bottle or use any alternate style dressing that maybe cheesy.

Went to Cape May Jersey two weeks ago and had a great one. Since my DW does not like anchovies we minus them. But this dressing for original technique and did deserve anchovies to be added.

23 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

One that has learned how to make a authentic Caesar Salad Dressing from scratch is always disappointed with restaurants faking it.

A Caesar Dressing should not come out of a bottle or use any alternate style dressing that maybe cheesy.

Went to Cape May Jersey two weeks ago and had a great one. Since my DW does not like anchovies we minus them. But this dressing for original technique and did deserve anchovies to be added.

Nothing like a fresh made Caesar dressing.  We used to have a great hotel restaurant in Cambridge that did the dressing table side in a big wooden bowl…delish.  I do, however,  need the anchovies for the real deal.  I also make a similar Caesar dressing and then I take a whole head of Romaine and douse it quickly in the dressing then grill it over charcoal for a light grilling. Then I plate it with a drizzle of dressing and sprinkle of Romano cheese served with home made croutons…outrageous!  

• Like 1

On 6/14/2021 at 8:33 PM, rkacruiser said:

This may be a surprise to some.  But, the most recent "cold fork/cold bowl" service I have experienced was in a Carnival Cruise ship's Steakhouse:  tableside preparation of a Caesar Salad with proper service.  

On 8/26/2021 at 7:42 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

20 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

We used to have a great hotel restaurant in Cambridge that did the dressing table side in a big wooden bowl…delish.  I do, however,  need the anchovies for the real deal.

This is how my Caesar Salad was prepared with dressing made at the table in a large wooden bowl.  And, on Carnival!  Anchovies?  Yes.  It's one of those foods where my taste has changed.  

6 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

This is how my Caesar Salad was prepared with dressing made at the table in a large wooden bowl.  And, on Carnival!  Anchovies?  Yes.  It's one of those foods where my taste has changed.  

Made a Caesar tonight......yes.....with Anchovies!

• Like 1

On 5/25/2021 at 10:38 AM, BklynBoy8 said:

I remember on the QE2 when we ordered a salad the waitress would come back to the table with the quad (4) cup server that contained 4 different dressing that would be offered to spoon on.

Of course, if you needed O&V they brought separate bottles to the table.

We looked forward each day to what were the four dressings would be offered that day.

My first few cruises which were Celebrity and RC they did that as well.  I miss the variety.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2021 at 10:38 AM, BklynBoy8 said:

I remember on the QE2 when we ordered a salad the waitress would come back to the table with the quad (4) cup server that contained 4 different dressing that would be offered to spoon on.

Of course, if you needed O&V they brought separate bottles to the table.

We looked forward each day to what were the four dressings would be offered that day.

My first few cruises which were Celebrity and RC they did that as well.  I miss the variety.

30 minutes ago, dahirsh said:

Then, the Stewards would serve the salad dressing that you chose.  

"Once upon a time, in a land far away".....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Anyone here. Like Claremont Tomatoes??  They used to be served with everything.  This was a half tomato topped with a breadcrumb stuffing made with butter and herbs and broiled.  

I use to see them served with steaks and also with certain breakfast plates.

1 hour ago, BklynBoy8 said:

I use to see them served with steaks and also with certain breakfast plates.

DW’s favorite to this day.  Somehow the quick broiling enhances the flavor of the tomato.  We used to see them onboard all the time.  Now they seem to have disappeared…:(

• Like 1

22 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

LOL LOL…so true!!  Time spent in the TotW that I would rather forget.

Forgive me for being dense.  I had to go back to this post of mine to which you refer.  I don't understand your above comment.  

4 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

My time spent in the Tables Of The World…I would rather forget.  It was that bad! 😂

We too was once there on the QE2 and was not impressed. 

When you don't remember the experience where is the memory.

I believe it was re-designed and called the Caronia later on.

The dinners were rushed due to the next seating had to be prepped asap.

On 9/1/2021 at 6:33 AM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

My time spent in the Tables Of The World…I would rather forget.  It was that bad! 😂

On 9/1/2021 at 11:02 AM, BklynBoy8 said:

We too was once there on the QE2 and was not impressed. 

When you don't remember the experience where is the memory.

I believe it was re-designed and called the Caronia later on.

The dinners were rushed due to the next seating had to be prepped asap.

You may recall some posts that I have made about my sole QE2 trans-Atlantic crossing during which the ship was suffering some labor problems.  That cruise ranks at the bottom of my 61 because of those problems.  But, my experiences in Tables of the World for dinner was always satisfactory.  The luncheon experience soon after sailing from Southampton was an exception.  The menu had Entrecote as a selection.  I ordered that.  I was served liver.  When I informed the Steward that this was not what I ordered, I was informed by him:  "This is what Entrecote is".   My traveling companion and I were in second seating; didn't feel rushed to finish our dinners.  I wish I could remember which section of the Restaurant we were seated.  Maybe the ones with the umbrellas?  

18 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

But, my experiences in Tables of the World for dinner was always satisfactory.  The luncheon experience soon after sailing from Southampton was an exception.  The menu had Entrecote as a selection.  I ordered that.  I was served liver.  When I informed the Steward that this was not what I ordered, I was informed by him:  "This is what Entrecote is".   My traveling companion and I were in second seating; didn't feel rushed to finish our dinners.  I wish I could remember which section of the Restaurant we were seated.  Maybe the ones with the umbrellas?  

I agree the dinner satisfactory since they always rushed the meal and needed time to turn around for the second seating.

I too ????? the umbrellas on a ship. Didn't impress me. Lucky we didn't get one. We did have first seating.

French, entrecôte is a premium cut of beef used for steaks. A traditional entrecôte comes from the rib area corresponding to the steaks known in different parts of the English-speaking world as rib, rib eye, Scotch fillet, club, or Delmonico.

"What Intern did they have working there. Big different Liver and Beef."  

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/3/2021 at 10:07 AM, BklynBoy8 said:

French, entrecôte is a premium cut of beef used for steaks. A traditional entrecôte comes from the rib area corresponding to the steaks known in different parts of the English-speaking world as rib, rib eye, Scotch fillet, club, or Delmonico.

"What Intern did they have working there. Big different Liver and Beef."  

That's what I knew!  My Steward either didn't or didn't care.  (I would put more belief on the "didn't care" because of the labor issues that we experienced on our crossing.)  Such an attitude is what my traveling companion and I experienced throughout the crossing from a majority of the hotel staff.  There were exceptions to that.  A Deck Steward who served me on one of the aft open decks. an obviously more seasoned crew member, provided the best service that I experienced on QE2,