Jump to content

What is your Favorite Salad you had on a Cruise.....


BklynBoy8
 Share

Recommended Posts

I there are many versions of Salads made on board ships with many various Dressings.

 

I believe Caesar Salads are a favorite if the dressing is made right and not out of a bottle. Next time we have the opportunity to sail in a grill class, I think we may ask for one tableside.

 

I still can't understand on the QM2 (and QE2 in the past) offer a Salad Dressing called Marie Rose for salads. It is really a Sauce but like a Thousand Island Dressing mostly used on items like Shrimp Cocktail. It is not like a Cocktail Sauce since it has Mayonnaise minus horseradish.

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

if I don't like the apps, I always enjoy a Caesar Salad off the every day menu and have even stopped cringing at the thought of anchovies.  I often try other salads and like them but none have been memorable.  I like Spinach salads and make them at home if I'm not making my terribly ordinary iceberg lettuce salads with onion, cucumber, grated cheese and/or crumbled goat cheese, olives, and fresh herbs from the garden.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, seamus69 said:

if I don't like the apps, I always enjoy a Caesar Salad off the every day menu and have even stopped cringing at the thought of anchovies.  I often try other salads and like them but none have been memorable.  I like Spinach salads and make them at home if I'm not making my terribly ordinary iceberg lettuce salads with onion, cucumber, grated cheese and/or crumbled goat cheese, olives, and fresh herbs from the garden.

I too like Spinach Salads with a Warm Bacon Dressing w Chopped Hard Boiled Eggs.

 

Restaurant near me even puts in Candied Walnuts..

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

sometimes Caesar Salad ( but where is the Egg ? )  in the MDR

 

but for lunch, get the ingredients from the buffet ( lettuce, tomato, onion cucumber  fetta if available, take to cabin to sit on balcony, add creme balsamic vinegar, ( bring a small bottle with us ) and enjoy with what ever else one has bought.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

sometimes Caesar Salad ( but where is the Egg ? )  in the MDR

but for lunch, get the ingredients from the buffet ( lettuce, tomato, onion cucumber  fetta if available, take to cabin to sit on balcony, add creme balsamic vinegar, ( bring a small bottle with us ) and enjoy with what ever else one has bought.

I like Caesar Salad with a one minute boiled egg which causes a glaze with anchovies added. If my DW shares the salad minus the anchovies.

 

???...??? Never heard of creme balsamic vinegar. We use the usual dark or light balsamic from Modena in our dressing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

I like Caesar Salad with a one minute boiled egg which causes a glaze with anchovies added. If my DW shares the salad minus the anchovies.

 

???...??? Never heard of creme balsamic vinegar. We use the usual dark or light balsamic from Modena in our dressing.

creme balsamic vinegar      dark and   somewhat thick.... does run off   we get one from Moro.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/13/2021 at 5:33 PM, getting older slowly said:

creme balsamic vinegar      dark and   somewhat thick.... does run off   we get one from Moro.

USA sells a version called Balsamic Vinegar (dark) Glaze...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Like BklynBoy8, I had not heard of creme balsamic vinegar.  Researched it and learned that it is made from mostly or partially from grape must.  Never had heard  of grape must.  It's Sunday, but school must be open.  I continue to learn.  

 

I can't recall any outstanding salads that I have had during a cruise.  A good, tableside made Caesar Salad with anchovies (seamus69:  I learned to eat them; not my favorite creature that comes from the sea, however) is a salad that I do enjoy and frequently have ordered it in a shore side restaurant.  Tableside salad presentation is nearly as difficult to experience as are tableside flambe preparations.  

 

I enjoy a Spinach Salad with a warm bacon dressing.  That's difficult to find on a cruise ship.  

 

I do like Wilted Lettuce Salad and sometimes a small portion is served with some entrees as a "side item".  

 

In a buffet restaurant, if I want a salad, I will do as getting older slowly:  graze the salad bar.  

Edited by rkacruiser
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

*   A good, tableside Caesar Salad with anchovies is a salad that I do enjoy. Tableside salad presentation is nearly as difficult to experience as are tableside flambe preparations.  

*   I enjoy a Spinach Salad with a warm bacon dressing. 

rka,

When I go to a restaurant or on board, I actually turn part of it like attending school. I look forward to the dish ordered but also watch carefully to the technique being performed. Once I build a repour with the M'd in the restaurant, I even ask them to do it slowly to repeat at home. Caesar or Flambe.

I got pretty good. Subject to the different ingredients and quality Oil, Cheese, Eggs question the final taste.

 

I like keeping my bacon fat for home fries and a salad like this. I like my bacon with the right hickory scent that adds the right flavor to my dishes. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/16/2021 at 4:58 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

rka,

When I go to a restaurant or on board, I actually turn part of it like attending school. I look forward to the dish ordered but also watch carefully to the technique being performed. Once I build a repour with the M'd in the restaurant, I even ask them to do it slowly to repeat at home. Caesar or Flambe.

 

hmmmm.  Trying to remember the dish I set on fire a couple years back and whether it was on purpose or not...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I remember on the QE2 when we ordered a salad the waitress would come back to the table with the quad (4) cup server that contained 4 different dressing that would be offered to spoon on.

 

Of course, if you needed O&V they brought separate bottles to the table.

 

We looked forward each day to what were the four dressings would be offered that day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't buy iceberg lettuce to keep in the house but I do enjoy a good wedge salad......the lettuce with some grape tomatoes (sliced), bacon and some really rich blue cheese dressing😃

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I commented on the soup thread about two apps I had last night so I thought I would mention the salad here.  I ordered a Caesar salad and it was very underwhelming.  It was quite large but it was merely lettuce and croutons with a super thick/dry but low flavor dressing (how is that even possible).  I realize that that is pretty typical but if you keep it that simple it better be a great dressing.  I brought most of it home and will try toss it with some milk or cream to thin the dressing, shaved Parmesan (how could they overlook that), some herbs and a bit of onion (I know it's not usual for Caesar but I like onion in all salads)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

I don't buy iceberg lettuce to keep in the house but I do enjoy a good wedge salad......the lettuce with some grape tomatoes (sliced), bacon and some really rich blue cheese dressing😃

We too very much like a Wedge Salad made right.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, seamus69 said:

I commented on the soup thread about two apps I had last night so I thought I would mention the salad here.  I ordered a Caesar salad and it was very underwhelming.  It was quite large but it was merely lettuce and croutons with a super thick/dry but low flavor dressing (how is that even possible).  I realize that that is pretty typical but if you keep it that simple it better be a great dressing.  I brought most of it home and will try toss it with some milk or cream to thin the dressing, shaved Parmesan (how could they overlook that), some herbs and a bit of onion (I know it's not usual for Caesar but I like onion in all salads)

We like Caesar Salad as staple in our house.

 

I was blessed to have learned how to make the original recipe and technique to make the dressing. The ingredients are very important to be fresh and the right taste ex. cheese we get from our italian store.

 

If I would like a fast salad on the run, I like using the product made from the original recipe by the inventor Caesar Cardini in the hotel he worked in located in Mexico. We can get it bottled in the supermarket and it's darn close to homemade. And I make my own herbed croutons at home than those in boxes. 

 

CaesarDressing.jpg

Edited by BklynBoy8
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

I like using the product made from the original recipe by the inventor Caesar Cardini in the hotel he worked in located in Mexico. We can get it bottled in the supermarket 

 

I'll do some shopping for this.  I doubt that Kroger would carry it, but my upscale  grocer might.  

 

6 hours ago, seamus69 said:

I brought most of it home and will try toss it with some milk or cream to thin the dressing, shaved Parmesan (how could they overlook that), some herbs and a bit of onion

 

Please let us know how this turned out. 

 

7 hours ago, Lois R said:

I don't buy iceberg lettuce to keep in the house but I do enjoy a good wedge salad..

 

Fleming's serves a very good Wedge Salad.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

We don't have Fleming's. 

 

I am sure you do have a Ruth's Chris Restaurant in Jacksonville and they do have a Wedge Salad with bacon and bleu cheese on their menu.  Does it compare with Fleming's?  Cannot say because I have not ordered it.  

 

If I order a salad at such restaurants, it will more likely be a Caesar Salad.  

 

This style of restaurants have so many tempting sides that "my chef"--me--doesn't prepare that I have much difficulty in deciding what to order.  A salad often--usually--is not among what is requested.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi, yes, we have Ruth's Chris but I can't remember the last time I ate there and not even sure I have ever had their salad.  I do know I LOVE their creamed spinach😃

 

I do remember having an excellent wedge salad at Cooper's Hawk!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Lois R said:

I do know I LOVE their creamed spinach😃

 

That is the precise problem with some of the top notch steak houses.  Their sides are SO good!  And, the servings are so large that a "doggy bag/box" is required for this solo diner.  Even when I dine with a friend, often we cannot eat all of whatever sides we order and we have take home bags for both of us.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Lois R said:

I don't buy iceberg lettuce to keep in the house but I do enjoy a good wedge salad......the lettuce with some grape tomatoes (sliced), bacon and some really rich blue cheese dressing😃

Love a good wedge salad.  I always add blue cheese to the bottled dressing but I really prefer to make my own.

 

We were on a transatlantic RCI and one day they set up a huge salad bar in the MDR at lunch.  I had one of the best wedge salads I’ve ever had.  They even added more blue cheese on top of the salad!

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

That is the precise problem with some of the top notch steak houses.  Their sides are SO good!  And, the servings are so large that a "doggy bag/box" is required for this solo diner.  Even when I dine with a friend, often we cannot eat all of whatever sides we order and we have take home bags for both of us.  

We always attempt to order enough of the dishes we want so not to have doggy bags taken home. Granted Pasta dishes alway seem to be take home.

 

We have the Famous Peter Luger Steak House we go to once a year. If ordered right we don't take home that much. Sides are the right size to share with all at the table. Rarely order an extra. I like to take home some meat and the bone as a side snack. Always take home their famous rolls.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/29/2021 at 4:50 PM, rkacruiser said:

Please let us know how this turned out.

 

well I forgot about my leftover salad experiment and looked at it today and it didn't look too good so I threw it out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, seamus69 said:

 

well I forgot about my leftover salad experiment and looked at it today and it didn't look too good so I threw it out.

 

Well, you had your salad last Friday.  Today is Tuesday.  Lots of leftovers don't look so good 4 days later.  Salads are one of them.  Any lettuce based salads that I buy as a take-out or take home, I need to consume within another day or two (at the latest) or it visits the dumpster.  

 

Thanks for remembering to respond, however!  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2021
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Enjoy the Gift of Travel with Regent Seven Seas Cruises
      • ICYMI Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with Silversea Cruises
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...