The Daily for Monday May 10, 2021

richwmn

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

It's been a crazy day, the start to what may be a crazy week.  I got hit by a corollary of the appliance curse.  My shower won't completely shut off and the drip is getting stronger, more of a trickle than a drip now.  I have a plumber coming tomorrow and can't plan to be away from home.  This morning I had an appointment with my lawyer to update my will.  I am also required to have a Covid test before the surgery and hadn't been contacted to set it up.  I left an inquiry and they finally contacted me a little before I needed to go to the lawyer.  They said I had to have the test either today or tomorrow.  Oops.

I ended up with appointments for the lawyer at 11 and the test at 1:15.  That was later than I wanted but the next one forward was noon and I wasn't sure I could make that.  As it turned out I was only at the lawyer about 10 minutes, leaving me a LOT of time before the Covid test.  I decided to do a test run to the clinic and then hit Panera for lunch before the test but when I got there the noon slot was still open and I got seen early..  I got done at Panera and back home before my original appointment.

We also have a Fire Department Board meeting and I spent about 90 minutes at the station but am finally back home.

Roy

Wow, it is hard to keep up with you!  Here's hoping the leaky shower is the worst of your problems this week and that everything else goes smoothly and as expected.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kazu said:

If you need me to start the Care/Celebratory & Shout Out list earlier than the 13th - just let me know.  You have a lot on your plate 😔

Thanks.  How about the 12th?

Roy

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Good morning, (afternoon?) all! Well , clean up,your room is definitely not my favourite day, but the meal suggestion hits the spot!

Yesterday was beautiful weather for Mother’s Day. I heard from both my girls, and they sent flowers. My sister also called to pass on news from her boys. DH made me breakfast, and we picked up Chinese take out for dinner. And then there was wine.

I went out early in the morning to gather maple leaves for my first fresh leaf botanical print scarf of the season. Everything used on it was something I picked or brewed myself. I was able to leisurely take my time with it, and apply what I learned over the winter. I’m really pleased with how it came out!

Today we are catching up on odds and ends, and dinner will be leftovers from yesterday. I was given a bottle of Bobbex yesterday to spray the plants the squirrels need to be discouraged from climbing. Now that the Rieslings are teenagers, they can do some serious damage when they get rowdy. 
Tomorrow DH goes to the dentist to have a crown put on the tooth he had the root canal work on last week. 

Here’s the finished scarf. The background is a dye made from windfall lichen from our Salt Spring fir trees. It’s more peach coloured than shows in the photos.

CA94FB7B-5942-4174-B366-A91D3E907575.thumb.jpeg.ce8c6d0ca8db37b14e36201c7b8d6791.jpeg

23A20939-6EB4-4559-AF5D-AAD011638EBC.thumb.jpeg.200002d04a01778e031899032536c519.jpeg

BC363302-D2ED-4A04-9EB4-C1CB71411411.thumb.jpeg.38d68984ef6beb5947963a2ab2010dd2.jpeg

And of course, Happy Monday with fond thoughts of our beloved BHB’s!

33E5F930-22D4-42EA-BE0A-771A78C9DAA6.thumb.jpeg.c0cc4edab351a408d905a250c0313e5f.jpeg

Just lovely, Laura!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone. Tuesday morning here, and the good news is we had our first Covid vaccinations yesterday. The nurse at our family doctor’s gave us the needle, and I did not feel a thing! And this morning we both feel absolutely fine. Next one due in August. We had the Astra Zeneca, which is the only one available for our age group, but we’ll take our chances with the blood clots! 
The  bad news is that the Prime Minister apparently said yesterday that the international border will be closed ‘indefinitely’, and certainly until 2022. Looks like our hoped for October cruise may not happen. But, if the border does open we will be vaccinated and ready to go. Best wishes to all.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thanks.  How about the 12th?

Roy

Consider it done, my friend.  I’ll take care of the 12th and from then on until I hear you are ready to take it back.

I know I won’t do as good a job as you but I will do my best.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, boards said:

I wish you well with the surgery and will be praying for you.  I had  a tripe by pass surgery in  London, On., June 1, 2015 and it went well.   God bless.

Nice to see you posting here.  Welcome 🙂 

• Like 5

I loved that today was Clean your Room Day.....we're getting ready to have some work done on our sons' bedrooms on the second floor.  They're both adults, but not too good about cleaning up in their rooms!  They've been working on it for a few weeks and have made progress, but I think they need the "Mother" touch to get them motivated to finish.  It should be interesting!!

Hope everyone has had a good day....praying for healing for @StLouisCruisersfamily members and also for @rafinmdfor his procedure on Friday....and for everyone else dealing with health issues.  Prayers are heading to all who need them!

Laura

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, daisybertie said:

Good morning everyone. Tuesday morning here, and the good news is we had our first Covid vaccinations yesterday. The nurse at our family doctor’s gave us the needle, and I did not feel a thing! And this morning we both feel absolutely fine. Next one due in August. We had the Astra Zeneca, which is the only one available for our age group, but we’ll take our chances with the blood clots! 
The  bad news is that the Prime Minister apparently said yesterday that the international border will be closed ‘indefinitely’, and certainly until 2022. Looks like our hoped for October cruise may not happen. But, if the border does open we will be vaccinated and ready to go. Best wishes to all.

Congratulations on your first shot.  Hope you get to go on your cruise.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Av8rix said:

Same here.  I do (well, did) the 14-day every year.  Had to do the 7-day only once because of a friend's time constraints.  TOTALLY different cruise!  Different onboard ambiance, different pax demographic, different EVERYTHING!  I guess my Alaska days are now over since I doubt that they will deploy either of the remaining two "little" ships for the entire Alaska season, and the big ones can't get into Anchorage.  Bummer!

I hope at some point they have the 14 day cruises to Alaska. It costs me so much to get to Seattle and  it is not worth the hassle for a shorter cruise. I don't do anything under 14 days. Bummer.

• Like 8

Very late today. Spent most of the day running errands which mainly consisted of distributing posters for a dog training session on rattlesnake avoidance. Then the painters arrived to start on the three condo buildings that badly need it. We began with pulling some badly rotted boards off..... and they were a mess. I say "we" but my job was mainly getting in touch with the other managers to get ok for the board work. No one who has looked at those boards can doubt that they needed replacing. 

@StLouisCruiser I hope your DS makes a rapid recovery with the new meds.

Susan

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, durangoscots said:

It costs me so much to get to Seattle and  it is not worth the hassle for a shorter cruise. I don't do anything under 14 days.

I completely understand this, but for me, a 14-day cruise would likely mean 16-18 days away, because I will do almost anything to avoid redeye flights, and my work schedule usually won't allow that many. For example, this year I'm planning a non-cruise trip to Alaska, using the AMHS and two hops by air, but even with a 6:00 a.m. departure for the return I can't get to SEA in time for the only morning flight that connects to where I live, resulting in an extra night in Seattle if I won't take a redeye. The trip will be 15 days total, including an extra night in Seattle in each direction.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

Happy Monday, Everyone!

Back from a successful getaway to the Palm Springs area -- La Quinta, to be precise.  With our two-year-old granddaughter in tow, DD and I realized we now have five generations of California ladies who have been heading to the desert for R&R.  We really do enjoy it there.  And felt safe with low-rise casita-style accommodations -- no elevators -- and very uncrowded pool areas.  People followed indoors mask rules nicely, but luckily most activity is outdoors and socially distanced, so masks were not needed too often.  DD and I are both fully vaccinated, so just had to be extra cautious for the little one.  Great Mother's Day trip!    🌴  🌵  🌴  🌵

Valencia!  So happy to see the photos of this beautiful city,   I wonder if anyone here was onboard the Noordam, exactly 10 years ago today, May 10, 2011, when we had a port stop in Valencia.   We had "a situation."  There was a life boat practice drill the day before, in Almeria, and a winch broke, sending the life boat into the sea.  Thank heaven's nobody was injured, but it did delay our arrival to Valencia, so we only got a brief afternoon glimpse of this lovely place.

Another treat today -- the photos of the beautiful Nieuw Statendam!  Our "baby steps" vacation really has me geared up to get out in the world again.  Hopefully soon on a blue-hulled beauty!

Have a fine and safe Monday, All.  I know these are particularly trying times for some, notably right now @StLouisCruisers , who is getting hit from all sides, so sending prayers for those needing them that "this too shall pass." and congratulations to those who are celebrating.  🌻

A good friend of mine was on the Noordam on that cruise.  He liked to joke that when the lifeboat was lost, Holland America immediately rebilled those with obstructed view rooms for the higher price when their rooms were no longer obstructed.

I booked the Noordam  on the following year's transatlantic which did Lisbon as well as Malaga and Cartegena, but not Valencia.  Good memories.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Here’s the finished scarf. The background is a dye made from windfall lichen from our Salt Spring fir trees. It’s more peach coloured than shows in the photos.

CA94FB7B-5942-4174-B366-A91D3E907575.thumb.jpeg.ce8c6d0ca8db37b14e36201c7b8d6791.jpeg

23A20939-6EB4-4559-AF5D-AAD011638EBC.thumb.jpeg.200002d04a01778e031899032536c519.jpeg

BC363302-D2ED-4A04-9EB4-C1CB71411411.thumb.jpeg.38d68984ef6beb5947963a2ab2010dd2.jpeg

Beautiful! 

• Like 4