Baltimore!!

Yes, I saw Gov Hogan's press conference yesterday and the port is opening, but I still expect it to be at least 60-90 days before anything sails.   The ships have to get crew in, quarantine them, get them vaccinated, train them.  Also, all shows have to be populated and rehearsed.  Have there been audition calls?  Rehearsal alone takes at least 6 weeks.  While the CDC relaxed some rules, some are still insane.

As for cruising out of Baltimore being dangerous lol.  The port isn't in downtown Baltimore and is right off I-95.  We used to live about 20 min from the port and are now just about 1.5 hours away.  We've cruised out of there 9 times over the last few years.  There are plenty of places to stay in the area that are safe, although we drive in morning of.  We love cruising out of there. Right off I-95, easy access, protected fenced in parking and quick boarding and debarking.  There are many hotels within 1/2 of the port that aren't in Baltimore or the worst parts of Baltimore.  Inner Harbor is safe and there are hotels south of Baltimore in the Columbia area that are extremely safe plus have plenty of places to eat.  The airport also has hotels nearby and it's close and safe.

1 hour ago, ArthurUSCG said:

I think that's a little over exaggerating, I've walked between Fells point, the Power Plant and the Marriott over on the other side of the Ball park and never felt unsafe. But in general, stay near the water and you will be in the tourist and upper class areas.

Yea, the cruise port is stupid easy to drive to. Although, I would be nice if it was moved out to Sparrows Point, then the big ships could dock.

Big ships cannot get under the bridges when they come up the bay.

3 minutes ago, retiredgram said:

Big ships cannot get under the bridges when they come up the bay.

I thought the FSK bridge was the issue, but the upper Chesapeake bay bridge is about the same height 186ft. Bummer. But the Radiance Class ships should be able to fit.

While there is zero size issues in Norfolk, it's a pain to get to if your not local.

3 hours ago, dodgestang said:

Yes, a large part of Baltimore has deteriorated.  The cruise port is not really in the city though.  For example if you visit the inner harbor....you know not to stay more than 1 block away essentially at any time of the day, and once the sun goes down you go back to your hotel....however.....the port is not near the population centers, right off the interstate and easy to get in and out of.......exit 95, pull into port, park, sail, return, get it car, get right back on 95 and drive away.

I disagree, there are many nice neighborhoods in Baltimore that are completely safe to walk around in the night.    Some with very expensive brownstones/row homes.     Fells Points and Canton are 2 I can think of off the top of my head and of course the inner harbor 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BND said:

Yes, I saw Gov Hogan's press conference yesterday and the port is opening, but I still expect it to be at least 60-90 days before anything sails.   The ships have to get crew in, quarantine them, get them vaccinated, train them.  Also, all shows have to be populated and rehearsed.  Have there been audition calls?  Rehearsal alone takes at least 6 weeks.  While the CDC relaxed some rules, some are still insane.

As for cruising out of Baltimore being dangerous lol.  The port isn't in downtown Baltimore and is right off I-95.  We used to live about 20 min from the port and are now just about 1.5 hours away.  We've cruised out of there 9 times over the last few years.  There are plenty of places to stay in the area that are safe, although we drive in morning of.  We love cruising out of there. Right off I-95, easy access, protected fenced in parking and quick boarding and debarking.  There are many hotels within 1/2 of the port that aren't in Baltimore or the worst parts of Baltimore.  Inner Harbor is safe and there are hotels south of Baltimore in the Columbia area that are extremely safe plus have plenty of places to eat.  The airport also has hotels nearby and it's close and safe.

If you drive to cruise out of baltimore a great hotel to stay at is the Best Western Convention Center, they offer free parking for length of your cruise, free shuttle to and from cruise port and free breakfast.   they also have free shuttle to the harbor we have used many times (sometimes the driver if not busy would drive us to other places such as Lexington Market). 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Does this mean that there will be cruise ships docking there ?

This month there have been American Cruise lines ships leaving from I think closer to the inner harbor. Will be curious to see if they'll use this cruise port at all since the big ships won't be there. 

3 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

If you drive to cruise out of baltimore a great hotel to stay at is the Best Western Convention Center, they offer free parking for length of your cruise, free shuttle to and from cruise port and free breakfast.   they also have free shuttle to the harbor we have used many times (sometimes the driver if not busy would drive us to other places such as Lexington Market). 

We drive day of since it's so close to us.  The longest it's ever taken us is 2 hours and that was the day after a snowfall and there was a school day so rush hour was delayed.  Normally, it's about 1 hour 20 min drive.  There are plenty of good hotels within 15 min of the port and several apparently offer shuttle service.  My DH used to work in the Inner Harbor.  His workplace overlooked the water, although he was rarely in the office due to the job which was large telephone system sales.  That's been over 35 years ago now and he moved on from sales after a couple of years, but their office was in a nice location.

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BND said:

We drive day of since it's so close to us.  The longest it's ever taken us is 2 hours and that was the day after a snowfall

I'm seriously considering a cruise from Baltimore, but it's 4.5 hours from where I live in the Finger Lakes and the cruise is in December....

34 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

I'm seriously considering a cruise from Baltimore, but it's 4.5 hours from where I live in the Finger Lakes and the cruise is in December....

We drove there from Western PA regularly for cruises, most frequently in January and April.   Easy port to enter and park in; well taken care of if it should snow!  And the sailaway through the Chesapeake is nice.

1 hour ago, kochleffel said:

We drove from Long Island to the Baltimore cruise port ,4 1/2 hours with zero stops.We went every December from 2015 to 2018.

• Like 1

Wouldn't it be fabulous if Enchantment started cruising before the Florida ships?

My wish list:  Fully vaccinated. The 5-night and 9-night cruises that have been on the schedule all along.  Or if not, then all 7-nighters.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, kochleffel said:

I would suggest driving the night before and staying local. But 4.5hr drive is far less then total time dealing with flying.

35 minutes ago, ArthurUSCG said:

I would suggest driving the night before and staying local. But 4.5hr drive is far less then total time dealing with flying.

Yes, absolutely. For departures from NYC I drive the day before and stay at a hotel that offers a park-stay-cruise package (there, in New Jersey), and I'd do the same at Baltimore. OTOH, for a transatlantic flight from Newark, I'll drive the same day, but not in the winter.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2021 at 6:27 PM, Sunshine3601 said:

I love sailing out of Baltimore, little over 2 hr drive and we love to stay pre or post cruise at the inner harbor and enjoy fells points, etc etc etc.

I hope Cape Liberty, NJ announces their opening too!

Absolutely agree....we're also 2+ hours away. Hated to see (what would have been) our final cruise on the Grandeur go down the tubes. We're booked on Enchantment next March. 3 extra (pre-cruise) days at Staybridge Suites. We've often stayed at Brookshire Suites, and a few times at the Renaissance. Inner Harbor is one of our favorite places. Always go to the aquarium. Water taxi is fun too! 

Where are you in PA?  

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

On 5/13/2021 at 8:44 AM, Ocean Boy said:

One poster, I won't mention the name, on the RCI boards says Baltimore is a very dangerous place and no one would want to sail from there.😇

The area that the cruise port is in is fine.We were last in downtown Baltimore in 2014.

On 5/13/2021 at 9:41 AM, ArthurUSCG said:

I think that's a little over exaggerating, I've walked between Fells point, the Power Plant and the Marriott over on the other side of the Ball park and never felt unsafe. But in general, stay near the water and you will be in the tourist and upper class areas.

Yea, the cruise port is stupid easy to drive to. Although, I would be nice if it was moved out to Sparrows Point, then the big ships could dock.

Did you walk during the day or evening ? We walked at sunset in 2014 and did not feel safe.

On 5/13/2021 at 9:41 AM, ArthurUSCG said:

Same here, we have walked all over that city, day and night and never felt unsafe.    We have stayed several times at pier 5 hotel right near the lighthouse and have walked over the fells points, we have wandered around various areas at night time and were just fine.   

Just like any major city there are some trouble areas that you should avoid. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Absolutely agree....we're also 2+ hours away. Hated to see (what would have been) our final cruise on the Grandeur go down the tubes. We're booked on Enchantment next March. 3 extra (pre-cruise) days at Staybridge Suites. We've often stayed at Brookshire Suites, and a few times at the Renaissance. Inner Harbor is one of our favorite places. Always go to the aquarium. Water taxi is fun too! 

Where are you in PA?  

We are in Bucks County, PA.    

We have stayed at the Brookshire several times too.  yes, I love the aquarium and always enjoy taking the water taxi's.      Have you ever stayed at the Pier 5 Hotel or hendersons wharf.    We love both of them.  

On 5/12/2021 at 6:33 PM, Straughn said:

I used to live in Alexandria, VA. If all things traffic related, and my late husband was driving, it was a 45 minute drive!!!  When I drove, it was closer to an hour. I now live just south of  Jacksonville, FL. The closest port with a RCCL ship is about 2:15 hours from my home.  I miss the easy drive.

My daughter lives in Alexandria currently, and lived just south of Baltimore for one year. We have taken two cruises out of Baltimore and have two more scheduled in the next year, CDC willing. 
Coming from less crowded Central Virginia, with no interstates, I don’t consider the stretch from Alexandria to Baltimore as “an easy drive.” 😂  But I do enjoy being able to drive to the port from here. 

2 minutes ago, libbismom said:

My daughter lives in Alexandria currently, and lived just south of Baltimore for one year. We have taken two cruises out of Baltimore and have two more scheduled in the next year, CDC willing. 
Coming from less crowded Central Virginia, with no interstates, I don’t consider the stretch from Alexandria to Baltimore as “an easy drive.” 😂  But I do enjoy being able to drive to the port from here. 

I have a friend who lived in Alexandria and never cruised out of Baltimore and a friend who lives in Arlington and also never cruises out of Baltimore.I never asked why.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Have you ever stayed at the Pier 5 Hotel or hendersons wharf. 

No...have visited Pier 5 but never stayed there. Love walking around the luxury condos that went up several years ago already. Used to always eat at Phillips but the last time we weren't as impressed with it. Hoping to try some different restaurants next time. 

4 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

No...have visited Pier 5 but never stayed there. Love walking around the luxury condos that went up several years ago already. Used to always eat at Phillips but the last time we weren't as impressed with it. Hoping to try some different restaurants next time. 

My go to for crab cake is Faidleys.  The area around Lexington Market looks shady, but I never had any problems as long as I go before dark.

4 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

I have never been a fan of Phillip's.  There are so many great restaurants in the general area.  Have you ever tried BoBrooks, excellent seafood.  Captain James, the one that looks like a boat is another good one.   Mamas on the half shell in Canton has excellent brunch, great oyster selection and is famous for their mussels too.   We have lots of favorites in Baltimore.

We have a 12 days cruise booked out of Baltimore in December and this is excellent news. We usually stay at one of the sleep and park motels around Baltimore where you pay for a night and park your car for the entire cruise. They have shuttles that take you to the terminal and then pick you up after the cruise. 

I am a veteran and every time we cruise out of Baltimore we always visit Fort McHenry--free for all veterans or with those Senior Golden passes. 

Cheers

Len

• Like 1