So the CDC have backed down

SpainAlien

I am going on Celebrity out of FLL on July 18.  They told me to bring my vaccination card and my doctors records that I had the shot.  I got the Moderna shot at the Martin County Florida Health Department and they had a record of it printed for me as well as all the vaccinations I have had since 2013 when I moved to Florida.  Celebrity requires 95% passengers and all crew to be vaccinated even though Governor DeSantis is against vaccination passports.  Governor has no legal right deny companies this.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SpainAlien said:

In the EU we have an app being developed which will apparently be available in June

Which one is that, do you mind sharing the name? I've read about a number of vaccine passports being debated in the EU, I'm hoping to download one as soon as it's available here.

12 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Which one is that, do you mind sharing the name? I've read about a number of vaccine passports being debated in the EU, I'm hoping to download one as soon as it's available here.

Oh I would love to but that hasn't been released yet so I don't know.  Looking at the article on Reuters it sounds like it may not be an app after all

The European Commission proposes calling it the Digital Green Certificate. The European Parliament suggests it should be named the EU COVID-19 Certificate.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/eus-proposed-covid-19-travel-certificate-2021-05-11/

Edited by SpainAlien

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

There are commercial apps and databases out there that folks can sign up for and register their vaccination, and the line can then access that for their purposes.  The problem I see is that the line has not said anything about how they will do it, just that they will, and the devil is in the details, and that is the "how", not the "what".  If they made a decision weeks ago to require vaccination, and really meant it, they should have had the mechanism in place, or at least agreed to in concept, and announced it then.

Not sure how NCL will implement it, but that's kind of the way I'm seeing it.  I believe before you board, there will have to be proof of vaccination, just like proof of a Passport they can check.  I would imagine it's something they're working feverishly on.  And, something you would have to scan and upload to your "check-in" procedures.  I don't think they'd want to do this at the port.  It's something that would have to be done before getting to the port.

Maybe you get some sort of ID# that you've uploaded your COVID vaccine proof that they would store with your check in information.  Those things would be easy to implement.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SpainAlien said:

Oh I would love to but that hasn't been released yet so I don't know.  Looking at the article on Reuters it sounds like it may not be an app after all

The European Commission proposes calling it the Digital Green Certificate. The European Parliament suggests it should be named the EU COVID-19 Certificate.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/eus-proposed-covid-19-travel-certificate-2021-05-11/

Thank you, I've been reading about that one on Euronews and SchengenVisaInfo, as well as other sites.

5 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Not sure how NCL will implement it, but that's kind of the way I'm seeing it.  I believe before you board, there will have to be proof of vaccination, just like proof of a Passport they can check.  I would imagine it's something they're working feverishly on.  And, something you would have to scan and upload to your "check-in" procedures.  I don't think they'd want to do this at the port.  It's something that would have to be done before getting to the port.

I totally agree.  It has to be part of the on-line check-in process before cruise day.

• Like 1

This is the language on the Windstar web site as proof of vaccination:

Windstar Cruises will require proof of a current COVID-19 vaccination for all guests sailing aboard Windstar’s yachts. Proof includes the original vaccination record document issued by either (1) the country’s health authority that administered the vaccination (i.e. U.S. CDC's Vaccination Record Card) or (2) the guest's medical provider that administered the vaccination. The cruise line arrived at the decision in the best health and wellness interests of its guests, crew, and the places the yachts visit.

• Like 1

This is my opinion.  I do not think NCL will come up with a way to prove vaccination.  Rather they will wait for the CDC to say "this app, document, certificate or whatever is what you need to show us as proof."  That way NCL puts the ball in the CDC's court as to what would be acceptable proof.  Blowing some smoke up big brothers a$$ goes a long way.

• Like 1

I booked yesterday for a cruise out of Rome in October.  Was told we need to have proof of vaccination submitted at least 2 weeks prior to the cruise.  She did not go into specifics about how the proof would need to be provided.

1 hour ago, skeeter195 said:

This is my opinion.  I do not think NCL will come up with a way to prove vaccination.  Rather they will wait for the CDC to say "this app, document, certificate or whatever is what you need to show us as proof."  That way NCL puts the ball in the CDC's court as to what would be acceptable proof.  Blowing some smoke up big brothers a$$ goes a long way.

The CDC has not required vaccinations for cruising, it was suggested by the cruise lines, and the CDC has amended rules to allow this option.  However, the CDC is not required to tell anyone what particular form of verification is required, especially since the administration has said they won't formulate a national vaccination card.  The CDC could wait another several months for the cruise lines to do their part and come up with action plans, before resorting to another round of technical instructions.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, skeeter195 said:

Bingo...NCL does not have the resources alone to verify vaccination and the CDC is not making one for them since they aren't requiring 100% vaccinations. I support NCL requiring 100% vaccinations but believe anyone thinking they are getting onboard a NCL ship this summer where vaccinations have actually been verified is extremely naive. What I do hope and pray for is that it is irrelevant in the long run and there are no outbreaks in spite of the ship not actually being 100% vaccinated. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Bingo...NCL does not have the resources alone to verify vaccination and the CDC is not making one for them since they aren't requiring 100% vaccinations. I support NCL requiring 100% vaccinations but believe anyone thinking they are getting onboard a NCL ship this summer where vaccinations have actually been verified is extremely naive. What I do hope and pray for is that it is irrelevant in the long run and there are no outbreaks in spite of the ship not actually being 100% vaccinated. 

They will probably have permission to request vaccination verification when you sign up for a cruise and they will contact the relevant authority to verify.  You won't need too bring cards or anything.  If you don't approve the verification then they will cancel your reservation.  So no fake cards etc that will not be something used for crossing too verify.  

1 minute ago, cscurlock said:

They will probably have permission to request vaccination verification when you sign up for a cruise and they will contact the relevant authority to verify.  You won't need too bring cards or anything.  If you don't approve the verification then they will cancel your reservation.  So no fake cards etc that will not be something used for crossing too verify.  

I don't believe this is possible, but time will tell :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I don't believe this is possible, but time will tell 🙂

That is the only way other than access to a centralized database.  I think it's feasible the cruise lines could easily do that imo.

Just now, cscurlock said:

That is the only way other than access to a centralized database.  I think it's feasible the cruise lines could easily do that imo.

I think it's more likely they are going to have you snap a photo of your cdc vaccination card and upload it. Nothing more. But again, time will tell. I hope I'm wrong.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CroozFanatic said:

How do they check ID/passports?

I have no idea how they do that. I just accept it gets done. I do know this much at the cruise terminal in Southampton they cannot see your ESTA (computer clearance for entry to USA) on the computer. You are advised to bring a paper copy. The airlines can see it on their computers the cruise line cannot.

6 hours ago, SpainAlien said:

much easier for NCL who have stated that they want 100% vaccinated

For sure. KISS.......Keep It Simple Stupid is my motto. The cruise lines should adopt this mind set, at least for the start up cruises.

But.......Maybe the cruise lines (other than NCL) are taking into consideration the "low lifes" who just may try to use forged faked CDC cards to gain passage on the ship.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, shof515 said:

I have no problems bringing my completed vaccination card with me and showing it at the check in desk like what i already do with my passport and other documents. 

In NY there is something called a excelsior pass that you can setup online or with a phone app. Some venues like football stadiums and baseball stadiums have required you have this pass setup and need to scan it to enter the venue just like scanning your ticket. The cruise lines might be able to do something similar 

Just curious how the vaccinated person inputs the vaccine information to this Excelsior Pass. Can NY residents submit their filled out CDC card as proof of vaccination when registering for the Excelsior Pass? 

4 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Ask away, but if you don't get the answer you want, then I respectfully ask that you not get upset that  a) it isn't the perfect solution and b) that the person giving the answer is completely speculating and is no expert.

Here's where you and I agree: I am surprised that the industry has not publicly stated how they will check for proof of vaccination. I do think it's odd they haven't come forward with a plan. But that doesn't mean there isn't one. Furthermore, if you take a look at how Covid is a constantly moving target, they may (may, mind you) be waiting for the dust to settle before making up their minds. The CDC literally just changed its mind about wearing masks outside, and we're seeing further relaxing of restrictions so in this constantly changing environment, I'm not surprised they haven't issued definitive guidance on what will happen once cruising resumes from the US. Does that make sense?

You did not direct you question to me so hope it is OK that I give you my input.........

I do agree that the cruise lines should have a method in place by now how they plan to check for proof of vaccination. I also feel it is of utmost importance to let the cruising public know what they will need to provide said cruise line with this proof.

Is the filled out white CDC card enough proof? At this point, this is all I have that I can physically produce to the cruise line.

Will I need some sort of digital proof of vaccination? I'm a Florida resident so I'm not sure if that is even possible given our governor has banned vaccine passports. Will some other kind of digital proof be accepted? If yes, then what is it? I want to start early to prepare what it is I need to show as proof of vaccination.

Does my state have a data base with proof of vaccine? I don't even know the answer to that question.

We all need time to prepare. The cruise lines need to tell the cruising public what we need to do to get that proof that the cruise lines will be asking for. I want to be ready!

Edited by coffeebean

4 hours ago, MichiganBound said:

Personally, I'm not comfortable with the CDC vaccine card being used as the sole proof to gain access to an NCL cruise.  Those cards are too easy to forge/fake.  Heck you can even buy fake COVID vaccine cards through the internet apparently.  You can be sure that there would be more than a few people that were never vaccinated acquiring the fake documents in order to be able to cruise.    I just don't think its a robust enough method.  I prefer some sort of centralized database being established of who was vaccinated.   It needs to be accessible in an electronic fashion.  

Tell that to our Governor in Florida. He has banned digital records for vaccine status.

3 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Then I guess "Naive" is my middle name. Don't advertise a 100% vaccinated ship and not produce the product you advertised. I naively think NCL will find a way to verify vaccination status for every single person that boards their ships when cruising starts back up.

• Like 1