Do you miss the Carnival Cruise Directors?

Methosage

Well, over the course of 30+ cruises, I have enjoyed a whole lot of the cruise directors, but it never occurred to me to keep a record of CDs who I liked best. LOL!

Now, I wish I had. I couldn't tell you the name of a single CD on all of the cruises. But from now on, I will be.

• Like 2

Yes. We definitely miss Matt Mitcham and MarQ. When we cruised on the Vista with Matt, it was the first time we ever knew a cruise director could add so much more fun to a cruise. He was awesome and set the bar high.  Normally, we never notice a CD. MarQ was also fantastic and better than the others.

While we have a lot of fun no matter who the CD is, an exceptional one makes the cruise much better.

• Like 1

I have never cared who the CD was on any of our cruises. They don't make or break it for us. Although the constant irritating announcements of a few of them are like nails on a chalkboard to me; namely when you hear "This is your cousin C-C-C-C-Cookie" a dozen times a day. 

Other than that, CDs are largely transparent to us.

• Like 3

Thank you, I appreciate this video.

I never cared who was the CD until about my seventh cruise when I had a cruise director who I had to admit really made my cruise much more enjoyable than it would have been without them. Chris Williams, The Flying Scotsman just made the whole cruise more fun. I dare you not to break a smile when that man busts into the atrium in drag singing Tina Turner. Since him, yes most cruise directors I could do without, but there are a few standouts that I really enjoyed. Jaime D was awesome. 

• Like 2

There have been a few cruise directors I really disliked also. Whoever was the director on the sensation in Spring 2007 I remember being horrible. Unfortunately I only remember the ones I liked. The ones I disliked I just sort of blocked out. Never really saw why people love Matt Mitcham so much, he was an ok cruise director, nothing to dislike, but nothing special either in my opinion. I felt the same way about MarQ at the beginning of the cruise, but by the end, his lame jokes were growing on me.   

6 minutes ago, asalligo said:

There have been a few cruise directors I really disliked also. Whoever was the director on the sensation in Spring 2007 I remember being horrible. Unfortunately I only remember the ones I liked. The ones I disliked I just sort of blocked out. Never really saw why people love Matt Mitcham so much, he was an ok cruise director, nothing to dislike, but nothing special either in my opinion. I felt the same way about MarQ at the beginning of the cruise, but by the end, his lame jokes were growing on me.   

We went to all of the comedy shows and game shows. Matt was always there talking to everyone and cracking jokes. Since comedy shows are our favorite, a CD with a great sense of humor who constantly makes people laugh is a huge plus for us.

MarQ hosted the an adults only game and it was by far the funniest show I had ever seen in all of my cruises. Absolutely hilarious. I can see how some people might not appreciate the same things that we do.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, jfunk138 said:

Surprised nobody has mentioned Dr. E yet.  Every once in a while I still find myself singing the "Good Morning" song.  Nonstop entertainment from him.

Yeah, I did not much care for Reverend Dr E. I mean not a bad cruise director, but it felt to me like he was just recycling what I have seen so many Carnival cruise directors do before. He was not very original except for his morning song. He did have plenty of energy which I am always amazed about any cruise director. Their day is literally 16 hours long and go hard all day.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

Yes. We definitely miss Matt Mitcham and MarQ. When we cruised on the Vista with Matt, it was the first time we ever knew a cruise director could add so much more fun to a cruise. He was awesome and set the bar high.  Normally, we never notice a CD. MarQ was also fantastic and better than the others.

While we have a lot of fun no matter who the CD is, an exceptional one makes the cruise much better.

Matt was the best, dancing on the bar in the lobby was always great,to bad he doesn't work for carnival anymore, I think he is with another cruise line,virgin ...

• Like 1

I miss my Carnival cruises, but not the cruise directors.  There have been some that I enjoyed, and others not quite as much.  They dont make or break my cruise.  Some good, some not so good.

4 hours ago, asalligo said:

How many will be not get back though. Who will settle into another life and just not take the reins again when cruising reopens. Someone said they saw Dr E on Let's Make a Deal. 

His Lets make a Deal appearance did not go well.  He was quickly eliminated.  I kind of expected him to show up in Hollywood and not return to cruising but with that appearance it doesn't seem like he has yet landed a land based gig.

Edited by jfunk138

8 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

i liked Matt, he was very cool and fun.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, hurricane0226 said:

We did get to cruise with John Heald on the Miracle on an Alaskan Cruise. It was so

nice.

We were on a cruise with John. He wasn't a CD, but hosted the Love & Marriage show. He was hilarious and a lot of fun.  My husband said he wished we had been on one of his cruises when he was a CD.

• Like 2