The Daily for Saturday May 15, 2021

richwmn

Good morning all!

So happy to hear that Roy's @rafinmdsurgery went well!!!  

We returned home yesterday from our 2-week, 8-state road trip to the Grand Canyon, Mesa Verde, and Yellowstone.  It was a great trip and went fast, but as always it's nice to be home too.  We saw 8 bears, a moose (which we hadn't seen on our yearly trips there since before the '88 fire) and a wolf besides the usual spring-time babies.  Already planning next year's trip to Yellowstone.

Lots of gardening to catch up on (my wonderful neighbors kept everything watered but there's always weeding and deadheading....) and of course groceries to buy!

Armed Forces has special meaning to DH and me, as we met on Armed Forces Day 53 years ago.  Also because he's a 25-year veteran.  Chocolate chips!!  Sometimes they make it into the cookies  😉  My favorite cookie.

Never have been to the port of the day, I look forward to any photos shared.  Also it's nice to feel more hopeful lately about cruises starting up.  We have about 6 weeks before final payment for our next cruise, I expect to know a lot more by then which will determine whether or not we keep the booking.

Have a wonderful, safe and healthy day everyone!  🙂  

• Like 20

Thank you Rich and Kazu.

Thank  you Everyone for sharing and caring😁

Good to hear Roy is doing well.

Just got back from Martha's Vineyard.It was a wonderful feeling to get out and see old friends and family.❤️

Warm heart felt wishes for all. Take care of yourselves.

Edited by travelingbums
Entered wrong name
  • Like 16

Thanks Rich for the daily. Thanks all for our great community here. The storm passed during the night. Not sure about lightning strikes but four human caused fires were started including one at a homeless camp that was wind driven and threatened nearby stores. The sun is out and I will get outside work done today. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Good morning everyone. Nice collection of days, especially the chocolate chips.

Trying to figure out how to purchase my car that’s coming off lease. Such a complicated deal if I don’t purchase it outright with cash. 

My daughter and her husband are making the 10 hour round trip drive to Rochester,  Y today to pick up my grandson who just finished his freshman year. YEA! 

Happy to hear Roy might be going home today.

Stay safe everyone.

Carol

• Like 14

2 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good morning all,

I am sorry for the sporadic participation on this thread.  I really enjoy reading the posts but the last few days have been so hectic I have hardly had time to sit down at the computer for anything but troubleshooting problems that seem to crop up in our lives.

I am glad that Roy had successful heart surgery and he continues to be in our prayers through his recovery period.

Someone managed to get a hold of our FedEx account number and started sending packages using it.  We now have a whopping fraud case to deal with.  Plus FedEx was trying to collect on the bill, which we are refusing to pay.  What a mess!  I think this all started when our bank info was hacked last Sept.  This never stops.  It just grows and grows.

We cancelled our trip to Virginia because of the gas shortage so we are home and will go when things ease up.  

Prayers for those on the cares list and cheers to those celebrating.  

Have a great day everyone and God bless.

Terri

Terri, you do NOT owe us apology. Good grief, I would not want to deal with what you have on your plate. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cunnorl said:

Good Morning Everyone from a bright and sunny day at the beach

A huge salute to our veterans, both past and present. I have the greatest of respect for all that serve our country.

I am probably the only person on earth that does not care for chocolate chip cookies. Dont know why. Never have. Love chocolate and cookies, just not together. Very weird, I know.

Never been to todays port. We are scheduled to stop at Komodo Island in Indonesia on our scheduled trip in 2022. Hopefully!!!

Great news on Roy. Now just need to heal and get better!!

Stay safe and enjoy today.

I will happily take any cc cookies you do not want. I can be there in 90 minutes!

• Like 8
  • Haha 5

Someone managed to get a hold of our FedEx account number and started sending packages using it.  We now have a whopping fraud case to deal with.  Plus FedEx was trying to collect on the bill, which we are refusing to pay.  What a mess!  I think this all started when our bank info was hacked last Sept.  This never stops.  It just grows and grows.

Good Morning All,

We have more (lovely) cloud cover with a chance of drizzle or sprinkles tomorrow, so staining the potting bench is on hold for several days.

Great news on Roy.😁

@Cruzin Terri Sorry to hear more problems have surfaced. Any chance the IRS matter is related?

22 minutes ago, POA1 said:

Is anyone else concerned that once mask mandates are gone and the plexiglass dividers are down, that we're all going to be really loud?

@POA1 A friend who is a major Disney fan went to the park a few days ago and said after “covid stay apart” it was sensory overload. 

It may be that 1 of my passion fruit seeds is sprouting. There is a definitely different shoot coming up in the pot. Started to wonder if the pot was too big when @kazu posted about using small pots to start plants. I had no clue!

Have a great day everyone!

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 17

Oh NO, Terri.  😱 

I am so sorry that you are facing another fraud challenge.  I hope you can get things settled and sorted out in your favour quickly 🙏🏻 

• Like 9

Good morning, all! First off, greetings to Roy! My fingers are crossed that you do indeed get to go home today. It’s always more relaxing to recover at home.

Skipping directly to today’s port:

Probolingo was my absolute favourite port in Indonesia on our 2016 Asia Explorer on the Volendam. We had just come from Bali, where we had a tour and were carefully ushered from tourist trap to tourist trap. It was not the experience I’d been hoping for. (We’ve been back since and had a great time.)

Probolingo made up for it. We took the shuttle into town and wandered with a friends. We hit several,of the spots the ships tour went to, but somehow kept arriving just ahead of them and left as the busses rolled up. The town put on a beautiful cultural show outdoors with homemade Indonesian snacks and refreshments. The Excursion desk had made it clear that the show was strictly for those who had payed for the excursion. The residents made it clear that the show and refreshments were a gift to all visitors from their town. Who were we to flout local decree?😉

After the show, we wandered towards the market, stopping to buy fresh red dragonfruit from a big cart. For 25 cents, you got a big red dragonfruit fresh picked that morning. The vendor cut and peeled it on the spot. It was by far the best fruit I’ve ever eaten! The dragonfruit that is flown in to North America is a pale imitation at best. 
We walked to the market in the blazing heat. The market was fascinating, with heaps of fruits and vegetables and spices. It was covered, and even hotter than outside. A woman cutting open coconuts saw me wilting and motioned me over. She deftly slit open a coconut without spilling any of the coconut water inside. She handed me the two halves to drink. The coconut water was refreshing and reviving beyond description. She wanted the empty coconut halves back, and would accept no payment for the coconut water. She spoke no English at all, and the only Indonesian I knew was thank you. That lady and her gesture of kindness sums up the Indonesian character I’ve come to know since. We headed for the alley leading out of the market just as the busses arrived and the crowds poured in to the market entrance.

Finally we headed back to the square to wait for the final shuttle back to the Volendam. The souvenir vendors took their last shot at sales, as there wouldn’t be another cruise ship in for some time. I bought the last few cards from a vendor with handmade cards with drawings like batik. It wasn’t until later I looked at them and realized it was squares of actual local  batik glued onto the cards. They are now framed and hanging in the study.

sorry to go on so long, but that’s how much I liked Probolingo and the friendliness there. I took a lot of pictures, but can only find these, so they will have to do.

The performance in Probolingo.

E286F45A-739F-4E37-BA83-2845F3EDC99F.thumb.jpeg.11590e294e53b93175d4160c9bf2fec7.jpeg

6532127D-23F8-498A-8066-035080233ECC.thumb.jpeg.2348d7b26c30b554521600d6122c102f.jpeg

And of course, local refreshments.

74C2982B-CC70-416F-85BB-7486BD4D781A.thumb.jpeg.29d27316066cb47fa823f65fff7ffff7.jpeg

Enjoying fresh mango and dragonfruit on the street.

B015D2CC-78C7-4C38-B7A7-D2D942E09882.thumb.jpeg.5964b4bde92780548586cde462892969.jpeg
B38E3A61-D8D2-41EA-81DF-8762202C86CD.thumb.jpeg.02c3e35059ac146650ea8eb25ed70ee4.jpeg

And the souvenir made of batik from the local batik factory

644A41CE-9CCA-4E02-84D8-DC329AE1BD9C.thumb.jpeg.4b826c5835c0c578b1abd82fa3501c2e.jpeg

And of course, Happy Saturday from our BHB’s!

E45566F3-3CD8-486A-9A66-88B88CC5CBFE.thumb.jpeg.571084ecef6a6734e6f334cb933f77c9.jpeg

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

@POA1 A friend who is a major Disney fan went to the park a few days ago and said after “covid stay apart” it was sensory overload.

We went to WDW last fall. It was a sub par experience. We canceled our Disney World annual passes after 25 years. Our hotel, Hilton Vista Palace, was outstanding. Disney Springs was pretty good. The parks, however, were awful. (From a cost/benefit perspective.)

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

@Horizon chaser 1957 we are doing the Indonesia cruise in December (I affirm).  We currently have ship excursions booked, just in case that turns out to be the only shoreside option.  Ship tours are not our first choice generally!  As things get clearer, I hope you won’t mind if I ask questions about your experience at some of the ports.

Thank you!

• Like 12

1 hour ago, smitty34877 said:

Good  morning and  thanks  for  the  Daily.  My  nephew  is  presently  serving  in  the  National  Guard  and  is  in  Africa  for  a  year.  We  salute  Armed  Forces  day in  his  honor. His  previous  tour  of  duty  was  a  year  in  Afghanistan  which was  difficult  for  him  and  the  family as  well.

Chocolate  chip  cookies  are  a  wonderful  invention . Sliders  are  way  too  easy  to  eat. I  worked  in  a  Bronx  hospital while  my  children  still  lived  at  home  and  would  often  stop  at  the  original White  Castle  on  Fordham  Road  to  pick  up  a  bag  of  their  addictive little  sliders. Nothing  like  that  smell  permeating  the  car  for  the  short  ride  home! Perhaps  this  is  what  decided  DD's  change  to vegetarianism!

We  have  not  been  to  the  port and  hope  someone  has  to  bring  us  pictures.

The  recipe  is  a  keeper, thanks  Debbie.             Terry

Both my DDs are vegetarian. They go to White Castle for the Impossible Slider. Now WC is adding a vegan cheese to it. Changing with the times 😂.

St Louis Sal

• Like 11

👍Thank You, Rich @richwmn, for the Daily and to Jacqui @kazu for filling in for Roy @rafinmd who is recovering hopefully at home!😊

We enjoyed a circumnavigation around OZ that included Komodo Island and Bali. Yes, the Indonesian crew is special!❤

🙏Prayers to all on the Care List and Shout Outs for those celebrating!🌞

Katie

0_s-l300.jpg

• Like 18

2 minutes ago, St. Louis Sal said:

Both my DDs are vegetarian. They go to White Castle for the Impossible Slider. Now WC is adding a vegan cheese to it. Changing with the times 😂.

St Louis Sal

Impossible Sliders at White Castle?  I can hardly believe it.  Of course I haven't eaten there in a very long time.  My Sister told me when Mom was expecting me and my twin, my Dad would bring home a sack of White Castles after work on Friday nights.  He worked second shift and got home around midnight.  Mom must have had cravings for White Castles back then.  They used to advertise "Take home a sack", remember that?

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Good grief Terri, you've certainly had your hands full - first dealing with the IRS, and now FedEx.  You're really taking on the big guys!  Sending good vibes and hope you can get all this straightened out without too much more stress.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Thanks for your concern.

Terri

• Like 8

1 hour ago, TiogaCruiser said:

@Cruzin Terri Sorry to hear more problems have surfaced. Any chance the IRS matter is related?

i have no idea.  The IRS never contacted us but did pull a hard inquiry on our credit report.  Then they sent the refund.  That was the end of it.  I think it had more to do with he Bank Account breach back in Sept.  Thanks for your concern.

Terri

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

i have no idea.  The IRS never contacted us but did pull a hard inquiry on our credit report.  Then they sent the refund.  That was the end of it.  I think it had more to do with he Bank Account breach back in Sept.  Thanks for your concern.

Terri

Terri, I think you are correct about the bank account breach triggering the IRS letter.  I would think they would know what banks had account hacks and want to make sure the refund did not fall into the wrong hands.

Still, all this and the flap with FedEx can be stressful.

Please don't apologize if you miss days.

Lenda

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

So, so thankful all went well with Roy (sans the incident last night.) What a wonderful group we have on the Daily. Everyone praying and cheering for fellow Daily-ites and their families. 

Thank you Mr. Rich for the Daily. And to Jacqui for a great fill in for our Roy.

Welcome home to my sweet sister Denise! I bet you had a beautiful time. I have missed hearing from you. Ann and I had to keep the home fires burning in your absence. 

We are going to lunch today and I will celebrate Armed Forces Day with my sweet husband. I enjoy sliders with the right kind of bread. I make halibut sliders with a homemade sauce and tomato slice. 

image.png.47a7f68f564ac849ad95ddd99662f1c0.png

image.png.7b9daab91cd9b2ee663b178de23f582d.png

And very happily will raise a glass for Denise and David safely home, and to Roy for a strong recovery. Happy Anniversary to summer slope and GeorgeCharlie!

Blessings,  Prayers and Cheers 

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

GOODMORNING DEAR JOY!!

I AM UP WAY TOO EARLY THIS AM! LAST NIGHT WHEN I HEARD OUR DEAR ROY HAD A SUCCESSFUL RECOVERY AND EVEN GOT ON THE DAILY I WAS SO EXCITED!! DAVID AND I WERE ON OUR BALCONY AND HE WAS WATCHING THE PADRES PLAY AND I STARTED CRYING BECAUSE I WAS SO HAPPY FOR ROY! 🌴🌴 🍾🍾🍾🍾🍾 We opened a bottle to celebrate 🎉 

and the rest is history!! Love ❤️ 
PS! Love the photo of the 🦦!

That is my most favorite animal ever! 

@cat shepard

image.thumb.jpeg.2c4d2f397186dabebdacb28f50ff841e.jpeg
🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

Goodmorning East coast Sis!! 

Ann, I saved this photo you took awhile back while in Maui! I wanted you to know I just love these little guys and at that time I was too busy doing our gardens and told David I want to let Ann know I do get on CC from time to time!! Also chuckled thinking of our dear Jacqui who I realize these guys are a pain in the A….!! and will ruin

her beautiful garden!

@kazu

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

Thank you!! Always enjoy your writings and love your cartoons and our care list and celebrations!

Especially all the updates on Roy!

Looking forward to your garden photos soon!

🌺Rich I don’t say enough but you know we all appreciate The Daily you have done👍👍All the additions you have added are a plus!!

@summer slope

@VintageGeo

🎉🎉Happy Belated Anniversaries!

@GeorgeCharlie

🎉🎉Happy Anniversary 

@StLouis Cruiser

My prayers have been going strong for you!! You have always been there for me and I am there for you!

@Cruzin Terri

Holly Cow!! So sorry to hear this Teri!! I hope all gets resolved soon!! 
🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴

Have a great day everyone!

It is good to be home now!

@rafinmd

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

Good morning Dear Roy!!

Have a comfortable day relax get well and I want you to know we Love you!

Denise😊

image.jpeg

• Like 18

51 minutes ago, St. Louis Sal said:

St Louis Sal

Now  that  is  exciting! Thanks

• Like 7

Good morning!  After working in the yard yesterday, I decided to skip more work today, even though the mulch needs turning.  My back is suggestion putting it off for a few days, which after today won't be hard to do.  We are supposed to have thunderstorms from late tonight through the week, and the prediction is 2-6 inches of rain between Sunday and Tuesday evening.

The day I'll really celebrate is chocolate chip cookies day, my favorite cookie.  I'll salute the women and men of the armed forces especially @smitty34877 nephew.  We do not have White Castles near us, but did stop at one in Minnesota when youngest DD was going to school there.  DH has been known to stop there a few times when on a business trip.

I like a cobb salad or a chef's salad, and get them when we're on a BHB.  I just have not made the effort to make them myself.  I like them better without the bleu cheese, too.

Great news that @rafinmd Roy had a good night.  It is a good sign the doctors are still considering sending him home today.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, sorry that your DS is still have problems.  Hope the doctors get things under control and she is better soon.

@Crazy For Cats  Glad you arm is better.  When we got our shots, the arm was a little sore for about a day.

@ger_77  Sounds like you had fun at your get together yesterday.

The only Indonesian port we've been to is Bali in 2000.  Along with another couple, we hired a taxi for the day and not only saw the tourist places and shops, but his home. We were supposed to stop in Bali in 2002 on the APEC cruise on Volendam, but the stop was cancelled after the bombing.  @Horizon chaser 1957 thank you for posting pictures.

Some good news about youngest DDs foster dogs.  She had to take Kelly, the bigger, more aggressive dog back Wednesday night.  However, Kelly was supposed to be adopted yesterday, so hopefully she has found her forever home.  DD said it might take a little longer for Beyoncé to be adopted as she is on page four of the adoption list.  She did add that it might not be that long as her SO was going to have Beyoncé on his show Friday night on Twitch, and he had a picture on his comedy troop's Twitter sight Thursday night.   Keeping fingers crossed that "advertising" works,  🤞  as she deserves a forever home too.  Here is her picture on Twitter.

Beyonce.jpg.f8ac55c3944cb525e331d5b17d3b8b1a.jpg

Lenda

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

@DeeniEncinitasthank you for all your prayers!  I know your prayers are helping a lot.  

DB just talked with Sis and said at first he couldn't understand what she was saying but her speech got better as the call went along.  If it's not a stroke and not her medication, then I don't know what to think.  Last I heard she was on Tylenol for pain and not something really strong.  Hoping that things get better day by day.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

@StLouisCruisers, it  has  to  be  so  difficult to not  be  able  to  see  your  DS in  person. Hopefully  she  will  continue  to  improve daily  and  the  reports  will  not  be  as  worrisome. The  fact  that  her  speech  improved  as  she  spoke  to  your  brother is  a  good  sign I  would  think.  We  will  continue to  send  prayers  to  all  of  you.

• Like 11