Hooray... UK cruising has started...

AndyMichelle

15 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

Also on the news it was reported that the protocol was a mask should be worn when moving around the ship so it may be when seated a mask is not required.  

There is a chap called Cruising Pete, who has shared some short videos. I’ve just watched one.

It looked like they were in a restaurant? No food but people seated and you could clearly see blocked off tables and chairs.  The captain was broadcasting a welcome back speech.

what caught my eye was the woman stood up against the window with no mask on taking photos of the tug!

Come on people, we all know how to behave, mask unless seated.  If you are exempt show respect for those around you and don’t flaunt the fact. 

• Like 10

22 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I’ve checked the protocol for U.K. cinemas and theatres. A mask is required at all times in the auditoriums unless actually eating or drinking. I’d have thought that the protocols on the ships would be at least as stringent, if not more, what with ships being closed communities. After all, it’s in everyone’s interests that there’s not an outbreak onboard 

I would agree but have MSC followed that one? I really don't know.

I think people are foolish not to follow rules and take care but after my first outing last night since the pubs opened I can say I'm in no hurry to go back after the things I witnessed. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

I would agree but have MSC followed that one? I really don't know.

I think people are foolish not to follow rules and take care but after my first outing last night since the pubs opened I can say I'm in no hurry to go back after the things I witnessed. 

Fortunately, I’ve been able to go out times when it’s going to be quiet and my fellow patrons have been older, and have generally followed the rules. I’ve no desire to go out in the evenings though.

My other bugbear is people that wear their masks but have their noses hanging out. There was at least one of those on the theatre photo that I saw

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Pink-belle said:

Not seen the report but it still annoys me.  Those sailing knew the facts before they sailed, so why try to make it a bad news story?  After all it might be reassuring for those who live in the port towns/cities to know they aren’t getting an influx of cruise ship pax sharing germs around the town. 

Don't think the tone was in the vein of a 'bad news story' either from the programme or me!  I just hadn't realised that the excursion bit would apply to this particular situation.  Simon only mentioned it in passing and was quite upbeat about being on board and didn't say anything negative.  He was actually on the programme to answer a few questions from viewers (not incidentally about cruising) and it was brought up in the context of where he was.

Of course you're right about an influx of 1,000 cruise ship passengers and how the locals may view it - although the passengers have all been tested which is more than the massive influx of visitors we can expect here or indeed they will have in Weymouth/Portland/Lulworth etc from non-cruise visitors during this summer.  

Edited by kruzseeka
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, kruzseeka said:

Don't think the tone was in the vein of a 'bad news story' either from the programme or me!  I just hadn't realised that the excursion bit would apply to this particular situation.  Simon only mentioned it in passing and was quite upbeat about being on board and didn't say anything negative.  And of course you're right about an influx of 1,000 cruise ship passengers and how the locals may view it - although the passengers have all been tested which is more than the massive influx of visitors we can expect here or indeed they will have in Weymouth/Portland/Lulworth etc from non-cruise visitors during this summer.  

I agree having lived in Weymouth in the 1980’s and still a regular visitor, I love it there but actually prefer to visit being a grockle 😉 

I do wash my hands, sanitise and wear a mask, plus take a LFT before venturing out though.  

Ship organised excursions only has been mooted for a long time, so shouldn’t have surprised anyone sailing. 
just mentioning it was on Rip off Britain suggests that it wasn’t a welcome “thing”

Edited by Pink-belle

7 minutes ago, Pink-belle said:

I agree having lived in Weymouth in the 1980’s and still a regular visitor, I love it there but actually prefer to visit being a grockle 😉 

I do wash my hands, sanitise and wear a mask, plus take a LFT before venturing out though.  

Ship organised excursions only has been mooted for a long time, so shouldn’t have surprised anyone sailing. 
just mentioning it was on Rip off Britain suggests that it wasn’t a welcome “thing”

Just saying where i heard it.......... not passing judgement.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Fortunately, I’ve been able to go out times when it’s going to be quiet and my fellow patrons have been older, and have generally followed the rules. I’ve no desire to go out in the evenings though.

My other bugbear is people that wear their masks but have their noses hanging out. There was at least one of those on the theatre photo that I saw

My bugbear too, yesterday I was queuing at a checkout, lady in front of me had her mark below her nose and the checkout operator had hers wrapped round her chin!! I give up!! You could toilet train a toddler quicker 

Michelle 

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Selbourne said:

I think they are in for a very bumpy ride! 60mph wind and gusts far in excess of that, with very rough seas forecast for their first 24 hours. Hope they all have Stugeron with them! We are due to cross the Solent to the Isle of Wight tomorrow and have received a text tonight telling us to check on the service status tomorrow before we leave home as they are anticipating disruption. 

I had to reread that lol.I thought it was an SNP beano.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Not as bad as the chap in Aldi serving, mask around his chin and coughing and wiping his nose on his hand while touching people’s shopping.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, amajaa said:

Not as bad as the chap in Aldi serving, mask around his chin and coughing and wiping his nose on his hand while touching people’s shopping.  

That really is awful. Something that gets me as well is when people are wearing their mask correctly but then lower it to speak to the shopkeeper! I do think its good though that quite often you will hear announcements over tanoys (shopping centre and train stations) to state that masks should cover nose and chin.It doesn't always make a difference but at least if people realise they are wearing it incorrectly it may help

There is a report on Travelweekly from a journalist who is on MSC and they went over his insurance policy with a fine toothcomb and then took him to one side and said he wasnt covered for the cruise and he had to buy a policy recommended by them for the cruise at a cost of £22 and I think the cruise is only 4 days long.

13 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

There is a report on Travelweekly from a journalist who is on MSC and they went over his insurance policy with a fine toothcomb and then took him to one side and said he wasnt covered for the cruise and he had to buy a policy recommended by them for the cruise at a cost of £22 and I think the cruise is only 4 days long.

I have seen reports from elsewhere with the same story from the embarkation queue.  Passengers thought their insurance would cover them, but had to quickly arrange additional cover or no embarkation. 

Some people still don't seem to understand how this virus spreads do they? I was standing in a queue waiting for my prescription when a woman , not wearing a mask, stood about 18inches in front of my face asking if I was in the queue.

I should have taken my mask off and coughed all over her. 

16 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Fantastic to see MSC Virtuoso sailing out from Southampton today, let's hope all goes smoothly and everyone onboard has a great time... 

One major change seems to be no actual menu's. 

Free WiFi enables you to view the menu on the app before ordering with your waiter. 

Apparently, if you do not have a smart phone, the waiter will 'show' you a menu? 

I wonder if P&O will follow suit? 

Andy 

Love it, love it, love it.... And that is just for Andy getting back to posting again.  Everything slowly getting back to normal . Wishing everyone on Virtuosa a wonderful and safe voyage. We are all rooting for you.

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

What annoys me is P&O refuse to advise if my policy meets their requirements.

As I have an email stating P&O can not advise on the suitability of an insurance policy, if I’m told at check in my policy doesn’t meet their requirements I will say “P&O can not advise on my insurance” and show them the email.

I should add I’m covered as confirmed by the insurance company.

Edited by MX-Drew

I think they will be having a lovely time in a " Roundabout " way  . The captain will

be demonstrating how nippy this ship can be when swinging a sharp right or better

known as going around in circles . I do hope later they get to experience the ten mile

figure eight as we once did ,one Christmas on the Ventura . A good time was had by all

and I hope they are all having a great time on the  MSC Virtuosa ship .

930100901_Screenshot(37).thumb.png.0fbeafd4b5667670e481b1f80840cfe8.png

• Like 7

5 hours ago, kruzseeka said:

Looks as though Virtuoso is off Le Havre at the moment.  Was due to be in Portland at 07.00 but looks like the weather has different ideas!  It is wild down here!  Guess the folk on board will be enjoying themselves whatever and excited to be on board but what a pity she couldn't make her first port.  

Correction:  Sorry, that call at Portland is tomorrow 22nd.  Just assumed considering the distance it wouldn't take 2 days from Southampton to Portland 😄

Unless the forecast changes dramatically, I don't see them making it to Portland.

4 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

My bugbear too, yesterday I was queuing at a checkout, lady in front of me had her mark below her nose and the checkout operator had hers wrapped round her chin!! I give up!! You could toilet train a toddler quicker 

Michelle 

4 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

Michelle 

I am also appalled by this practice that seems to becoming more common.  I think that they must think that the only way that covid germs get into their bodies is through their mouths. At the vaccination hubs that I have been helping at welle are frequently telling people coming for vaccines actions to cover their nose and mouth.

I’m currently on Virtuosa - last night was a little rough, but not terrible. Not been to the theatre yet, but the rule seems to be wear a mask while moving around, take it off while sat. On the whole it feels safe - and I’d certainly there’s much better mask compliance on here than your local supermarket.

”Activities” haven’t appealing to us much so far, but it’s lovely to relax and be out of the usual four walls! 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, reef112 said:

I’m currently on Virtuosa - last night was a little rough, but not terrible. Not been to the theatre yet, but the rule seems to be wear a mask while moving around, take it off while sat. On the whole it feels safe - and I’d certainly there’s much better mask compliance on here than your local supermarket.

”Activities” haven’t appealing to us much so far, but it’s lovely to relax and be out of the usual four walls! 

Thank you. It's good to have an insight into the restart of cruising again. Please keep posting your views.

Avril

• Like 2

4 hours ago, majortom10 said:

4 hours ago, jaydee6969 said:

I have seen reports from elsewhere with the same story from the embarkation queue.  Passengers thought their insurance would cover them, but had to quickly arrange additional cover or no embarkation. 

Hi Both - can you explain this a bit further, what additional cover ?