Infinity in July from Italy! Any news?

travellerin1984

2 hours ago, travellerin1984 said:

Hi!

We have a booking on Celebrity Infinity in the end of July. We have been waiting for information but nothing yet. Do you guys think it is a go or not? 

if she’s not on the move yet, nope 👎 

Hope so, all paid up and waiting to board on the 19th July! I wont believe it until I set foot on the gangway thou. We were booked on the Eclipse trip from Chile to San Diego that never happened 14 months ago.

6 hours ago, travellerin1984 said:

Hi!

We have a booking on Celebrity Infinity in the end of July. We have been waiting for information but nothing yet. Do you guys think it is a go or not? 

I think you will need a Plan B for your vacation

3 hours ago, Homestyle said:

Hope so, all paid up and waiting to board on the 19th July! I wont believe it until I set foot on the gangway thou. We were booked on the Eclipse trip from Chile to San Diego that never happened 14 months ago.

Please see post #4

3 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I think you will need a Plan B for your vacation

Plan B

I’m booked on the 26th July infinity from Venice AND 6th August Silhouette from Southampton (UK residents only). Have no intention of doing both just keeping option open. 

I bailed out on the July 19 Infinity a few weeks ago...

We had originally booked back-to-back cruises for July 2020...and aid for them in full...an, then, the pandemic hit...

The back-to-backs no longer worked the same way with the 2021 schedules...and we were allowed to lift-and-shift them to 2021...to the July 10 Apex, Barcelona to Rome, followed, after two inter-cruise nights in Rome, the July 19 Infinity, Rome to Venice...That all seemed to work--side-to-side cruises on two different ships...

Then they moved the Apex from the Barcelona/Rome routes to Athens RT...and, suddenly, we had two cruises on two different ships leaving from two different cities...It suddenly became difficult logistically and economically costly...AND, to make matters worse, they canceled all of the Infinity cruises through June 30...but remained completely silent on the July voyages...We had absolutely no idea as to whether the Infinity July cruises would happen or not--making it incredibly difficult to plan around the two...

Initially, we moved the Apex cruise to July 31--giving us five days to get from Venice to Athens--which I figured would be a little easier than getting from Athens to Rome in just two days.  But rearranging airfare to go LAX-Athens, Athens to Rome, Venice to LAX would end up costing about $3000 ...and, even worse, Celebrity Air said they weren't equipped to handle that...so we would have ended up with nonrefundable fares...still not knowing if that July 19 cruise would sail or not.

So we canceled the July 19 and booked the August 7 Apex...and, now, we're on back-to-back cruises on Apex--cruises we are pretty sure will happen.  Different itineraries, different ports...but at least we have been able to plan with some certainty.  we got RT Air, LAX-Athens for only $500 pp...and we upgraded to Sky Suites.  Much better than waiting around for final word on Infinity.

Now that the July 19 Infinity cruise is only 8 weeks away, you'd think they'd be able to give people aa final word by now.  t's really hard to plan for a cruise that's fast approaching but in limbo...

On 5/22/2021 at 3:47 PM, york survey said:

Plan B

I’m booked on the 26th July infinity from Venice AND 6th August Silhouette from Southampton (UK residents only). Have no intention of doing both just keeping option open. 

@york surveyWe too are on the 6th Aug UK circumnavigation and had a July Infinity booked but to save heart break again (9 canceled so far) we shifted our July 2021 to Aug 2022

On 5/22/2021 at 10:47 AM, york survey said:

Plan B

The July 26 trip out of Venice looks nice, I hope you can find a way to spend an extra day or two in Venice.

3 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

The July 26 trip out of Venice looks nice, I hope you can find a way to spend an extra day or two in Venice.

Sadly I think the infinity cruise is toast.  But happy to take a credit against my Panama Canal cruise next spring. If both infinity and silhouette sail I’ll have to decide which one to keep!!   First world problems 

2 minutes ago, york survey said:

Sadly I think the infinity cruise is toast.  But happy to take a credit against my Panama Canal cruise next spring. If both infinity and silhouette sail I’ll have to decide which one to keep!!   First world problems 

Are you suggesting the Infinity won't be one of the first ships to return to service or do you think she will be leaving the fleet?

If you want a Panama canal cruise, perhaps you should look for the new itinerary for the Summit this Fall.  They will need to get her from Seattle back to Miami/Fort Lauderdale and that might be a nice trip. 

11 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Are you suggesting the Infinity won't be one of the first ships to return to service or do you think she will be leaving the fleet?

If you want a Panama canal cruise, perhaps you should look for the new itinerary for the Summit this Fall.  They will need to get her from Seattle back to Miami/Fort Lauderdale and that might be a nice trip. 

I think it’s only a matter of time until there are some more July cancellations. Europe cruises are clearly at risk and the majority of celebrity customers are from the US or UK Both countries are still advising against travel to Italy so I don’t think celebrity will get the numbers to make it viable 

long term I think both infinity and constellation will leave the fleet.  4 new e class for the loss of 2 m class is still a substantial increase in capacity 

just a view.  Time will tell

Wondering if the Infinity cruise will be canceled for Aug. 9, 2021.  Final payment was due May 11 but my X cruise planner advised me NOT to  pay the final balance.  He seems to think that this cruise will be canceled.  And  maybe something else will be offered.  So far, I have NOT heard from X.  This Infinity cruise replaced with L&S two Connie 2020 & 2021 cruises.  

Hope springs eternal I guess. Still holding it out for July 11!  My cruise planner didn’t give me the avoid final payment advice. But Italy is open to vaccinated/tested travelers, and starting July 2, Delta starts Covid free flights from JFK to VCE. The ship is woefully undersold though.

Edited by rch3
Wrong term used.

Wow, glad I checked cruise critic. You guys are the best. 

Last night we decided to book the July 4 sailing out of Citiavecchia after seeing it was available. We selected a big suite and have flights on hold and hotels selected. Was surprised that so many upper level suites were available. Have not locked it in yet.

I apologize for my ignorance, but I haven’t been closely following all the cruising developments. Would someone be kind enough to explain to me like I’m five why so many people here think that the Infinity likely won’t sail from Italy in July if it’s currently in Greece right now?

We can only live in hope. I booked it and still remain optimistic, no news is good news. If we don't get to sail we plan to just do a land trip and will put the added 25% bonus FCC off the final balance on our Japan trip for next year. It will be like getting a 25% discount on that trip if nothing else.

On 5/22/2021 at 9:27 AM, Eglesbrech said:

I stumbled across it when researching. We were at the point of booking but this has put me off as it is nearly impossible timing wise to get a test within 72 hours and travel to Southampton as the results take up to 48 to get. It’s fine for those who can drive to Soton on the day but we usually split the journey.

I understand their need for caution with covid however.

Use Qured, you do you test over video call and then they email you the fit to fly certificate. I got a discount through the British Airways link and it cost £33 each. We took another test whilst in Italy for our return back to the UK.

43 minutes ago, law chick said:

Wow, glad I checked cruise critic. You guys are the best. 

Last night we decided to book the July 4 sailing out of Citiavecchia after seeing it was available. We selected a big suite and have flights on hold and hotels selected. Was surprised that so many upper level suites were available. Have not locked it in yet.

I apologize for my ignorance, but I haven’t been closely following all the cruising developments. Would someone be kind enough to explain to me like I’m five why so many people here think that the Infinity likely won’t sail from Italy in July if it’s currently in Greece right now?

Infinity I believe only has essential crew onboard (probably less than 75).  Celebrity I believe is also committing to fully vaccinated crews.  I don't think there is any way to crew, vaccinate and train in 5 weeks.

I'm sure stateroom availability is plentiful due to people cancelling prior to final payment.

We r on Infinity for July 11 from Venice.  Our Baltic cruise b4 this was cancelled right after we paid for this. Have cancelled flights etc. We r ready to bail out of this cruise as soon as we  can & get full payment back. Celebrity just published a COVID AGREEMENT for passengers on EDGE sailing in Europe. It is very comprehensive but restrictive for shore excursions. We have 3 Cruises scheduled for next year beginning in January.  Hopefully things will be better then. 

We are also booked on the 11th July cruise out of Venice on Infinity. I've contacted Celebrity several times, but no real news. You can still book the cruise, so not cancelled yet, but no Covid Agreement either, such as on Edge. I feel like I'm being taken for a ride. The way they are treating their guests booked on Infinity is realy unworthy of loyal guests. My loyalty is getting close to an end. If they cancel, I will ask for my money back and book another cruise line in the future.

Very interested in this as well, just had a live "chat" on the X website, asking how the July 4th cruises could possibly go if the ship is doing circles off  the coast of Greece with only a skeleton crew...  I've read nothing about that ship getting ready to sail, & very concerned that the CEO's restarting announcement email did not mention Infinity....was told that they had no information "at this time"  but to keep checking emails... sounds quite ominous 😞  

We were originally booked on the July 19 sailing...

We foresaw great planning difficulties as we had also been on the Apex July 10 out of Barcelona...

When the Apex officially got moved to Athens, it became incredibly frustrating trying to plan the trip.  We knew with some certainty that we would need to be in Athens for that one...and to end that one...But, with the Infinity being a "wait and see", we couldn't book airfare without some certainty on this one...So, we decided to move the Apex to July 31...and then, jumped off the Infinity booking to add the Apex August 7 instead.  

That way, we were on two cruise that we were sure would actually sail...which allowed us to make round trip air arrangements LAX to Athens...which we got for $500 per person.  If we hadn't made the switch, we either would have had to make LAX--Rome, Venice--Athens and Athens--LAX air reservations...and, then, waited to see if the Infinity really happens...while knowing if they announced late that it wasn't, we would have needed to make last minute air reservations--likely at an extremely high price with the better flights not available...

The real problem with not knowing, for many, will be in how you make reservations for air, hotels, etc...and you'd have to do it on cancelable deals so that you don't get stuck with airfare when canceling...

And, really, the first still-scheduled Infinity cruise is now only about a month away...

That made so little sense to me that I saw the only viable answer to be to cancel and switch to a cruise that I knew with certainty was happening.

We will likely do something similar to our original plans for this summer in 2022 instead...

Edited by Bruin Steve

@Bruin Steve my problem is that this is a booking that goes back to 2018,  it's been canceled by Celebrity so many times I've lost count, but with each rebooking, they have allowed me to keep my perks & added OBC each time...  so I have to hold out until they cancel...  We're booked for next year on MSC, trying out their YC on an itinerary that I love (norway fjords)  for the October Infinity cruise it would be just about getting back to Europe, anywhere in Europe & enjoying being on the ship, luckily, final payment is not until July 21st, so by then they probably will have cancelled Infinity 2021, I honestly believe they are selling the ship. 😞