Considering Amazon cruise

Would agree it is worth one visit. If you have any respiratory issues, be aware of the smoke at certain times if the year (farmers burning their fields); it is very bad.

Could not agree more about the scam village - not worth it.

People either really like the Amazon or did not care for the Amazon. We thoroughly enjoyed the Amazon and this is one cruise we would consider doing again. I recommend reading a couple books about the Amazon River before you go. 
River of Doubt, Tree of Rivers, and a great fiction, Grisham’s The Testament. 
While these books helped set the stage for me, I was still fascinated every day with so much to see. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pcardad said:

Beautiful, lots of giant bugs, the "original village" is a scam village for sucker tourists, definitely worth a visit, get all your shots before going to Manaus. 

And that's just Miami. Only kidding.

We did  Barbados to Manaus and back on Silver Whisper. We loved the ship, and the stops between Barbados and the Amazon were enjoyable. We really liked Devil's Island.

But while we cruised the Amazon at the ideal time (in November just before the start of rainy season when the river rises 40 feet), and we were in a very large Silver Suite, the cruise up and down the Amazon was boring. The stops along the way had little of interest, and some were not places we would even get off the boat if we had known what was there.

Manaus was crowded and dirty. We were told that students don't to school more than 4 hours per day since schools need to be shared between classes for elementary, high school and adult education. And parents are paid to send their children to school because they wouldn't send them otherwise.

Police accompanied our bus as we went to the Opera House from the cruise ship, and stood outside until we reboarded our bus. We had a torrential rain while in port. The trash washed off the shoreline of Manaus, and the entire surface of the river was covered with floating plastic, and other garbage. We had seen many bulldozers and front loader cleaning the shoreline the day before, but they can't keep up.

The amazon was nothing like I expected. We saw a pink dolphin near the ship one morning when we didn't go ashore in a port that had a visit to a school as the only excursion. And one morning, I spotted 3 scarlet macaws on the far shore using binoculars at first light. We saw monkeys on Devil's Island.

5 minutes ago, mj_holiday said:

People either really like the Amazon or did not care for the Amazon. We thoroughly enjoyed the Amazon and this is one cruise we would consider doing again. I recommend reading a couple books about the Amazon River before you go. 
River of Doubt, Tree of Rivers, and a great fiction, Grisham’s The Testament. 
While these books helped set the stage for me, I was still fascinated every day with so much to see. 

Both my brother (who traveled with us in his own cabin), and I had read River of Doubt before our cruise. We both enjoyed it, but it's nothing like cruising the Amazon to Manaus on a cruise ship. At least we didn't encounter any rapids, and none of us died.

I was on the November 2018 cruise with mj_holiday on the Navigator and had a fantastic cruise. I would definitely go again!  So sorry that SWFLAOK didn't have as great an experience when they went. If you search Amazon on the Regent board you should find mj_holiday's review along with some other great posts.

TS:

There is a wealth of background knowledge available to you through review of previous CC Thread postings, including specific Roll Calls.  

Here are some suggestions:  

1.  This general Thread.  Page 68.  Title:  "Radiant Amazon, November 17-December 12, 2017."  That, in turn, references several Threads.  Same page:  "Live from the Amazon". 

2.  Mariner Roll Call.  Go to Page 5.  Title:  "Mariner--Miami to Miami.  Radiant Amazon."   The Roll Call was started by those planning a November, 2017 segment.  My wife and I were then onboard Navigator on our May-June 2017 25-day segment--again beginning and ending at Miami.  I began posting on that Roll Call at Page 3 of a 7-page "Call"--as requested from those planning their later 2017 voyage.   

The above postings--plus suggestions on this entry will get you started on preparations.  Definitely read "River of Doubt".  We were fortunate during our voyage.  Pre-COVID.  Did not have to deal with the current political and health chaos which Brazil is experiencing.  Hopefully--2023 will bring brighter days.   

Any additional questions--I will try to answer.  

GOARMY!

The Amazon River is a unique experience along with an Africa safari, visiting the Galapagos and stepping on Antarctica south of the Antarctic Circle.  We were on Pacific Princess (recently sold to Azamara) and started in Manaus.  Heat and humidity were very high and uncomfortable for those of us not used to it (we live in Florida).  Its a beautiful trip down the river, seeing the flora and fauna and the small villages.  However, its not the "real" Amazon we were hoping to experience despite several excursions into the forest, fishing for piranha, etc.  To get that you need to start further up river as far as Peru or Ecuador, stay in a lodge and cruise on a small river boat.  Agree that Devil's Island is not to be missed...

Edited by Ride-The-Waves

Did a circle South America cruise way back in 2007 on the Mariner.

We spent 14 days cruising down the Amazon. Terry Breen and Jean Michel Cousteau were on board so the enrichment lectures were very good.

In Manaus we got up at the crack of dawn and accompanied the chef and hotel manager to the fish and produce markets and

in the evening Regent booked the opera house just for the passengers. They took food, drinks and beautiful ice sculptures to the lobby of the opera house where we had a preconcert cocktail party before attending the performance of the Manaus Symphony Orchestra who played a classical piece and then the entire score from West Side Story.

Needless to say I have very fond memories of the Amazon.

And yes, we saw lots of pink dolphins. At the fish market they came right up to the docks.

• Like 1

From our 2015 trip I would add that we booked a day tour on the Amazon and its tributeries with Gil Serique the day we stopped in Santarem. It was extraordinary, you can just Google him.

Also suggest reading "The Thief at the End of the World" by Joe Jackson for an excellent history of the rubber industry.

The Amazon is a great trip. We did it several years ago and if there was a better covid situation in Brazil, we'd consider it again. The last I looked, it appeared the Navigator was almost give a way, price wise.

The smoke mentioned above, was terrible and unfortunately spoiled some outside deck/veranda time, but we managed. Devil's Island was an out of body experience! The yellow fever shots were a total waste of time and lots of money. No one even glanced at ours, neither Regent nor the French Guiana people. No one asked for it and when I asked at Regent's front desk as to what to do with it, no one even knew what I was talking about.....sigh!

We did not care for Rio...but that's ok. The Amazon area is truly another world. You will NOT be in Kansas, Toto!

Our Amazon cruise did stop at Devil's Island which was just beautiful for such a horrible past.

Looking at itineraries,  the ones I have seen have either had 2 days in Manaus and no stop at Devil's Island or 1 day at Manaus and 1 day at Devil's Island.

We had the stop at Devil's Island, but if had a choice it would be a difficult decision to make. 

No one has mentioned so far, the meeting of the waters, which just fascinated me, I made sure to be on deck for each of the 4 times we went through this condition.

I wouldn't fret over the Yellow Fever vaccine, the year we went it was called out for St. Bart's (I believe) if you had stopped at Devil's Island.  We had to cancel port at St. Bart's because of weather. Yes, no one asked for it, but as we have experienced this last year, countries can close borders, change entry requirements at a moments notice.  We now have the YF vaccine that is now lifetime, so we are ready for any place that might end up requiring it, in addition to the protection.

• Like 1

The Rio to Miami cruise on the Mariner was our last cruise prior to the shutdown (we did the Holiday version - celebrating Christmas, Hanukkah, and New Year's.)  We thought it was great, and well worth doing.  One thing worth noting - while on the Amazon - the silt is so bad, that laundry and a few other services are slowed because they can't filter the water.  But, it didn't really affect us in anyway - just be mindful and don't take long long showers. 

As we were stopping at that ersatz village on Christmas day, I had brought along a whole bunch of school supplies to hand out to the children.  We were told not to (by the on board lecturer) as they would just end up selling them.  Instead, we gave them to the local Church and they could give them out as needed. 

As for the Yellow Fever shot - those on board who didn't have it, weren't allowed off the ship in St. Lucia.  

One other thing - definitely go to the lectures.  They are so interesting and add so much to each location visited.  

I asked Regent in February about the Yellow Fever shots and they replied that they were not currently required for the cruise which goes up the Amazon.  I am going to look at the CDC site and ask my doctor for her views on the shots.  We will not be spending more than a few hours at a time on shore, all except a snack will be eaten on the ship, and unless you leave your door open you will not have to worry about bug bites at night.

1 hour ago, Scout16 said:

I asked Regent in February about the Yellow Fever shots and they replied that they were not currently required for the cruise which goes up the Amazon.  I am going to look at the CDC site and ask my doctor for her views on the shots.  We will not be spending more than a few hours at a time on shore, all except a snack will be eaten on the ship, and unless you leave your door open you will not have to worry about bug bites at night.

As others have said, you should check with other countries you will be visiting, as those countries may require you to be vaccinated after visiting Brazil. Without  the shot you could unknowingly spread the disease. 

The mosquitoes which transmit yellow fever are primarily active during the day.

Edited by Pudgesmom

On 5/25/2021 at 8:58 AM, mj_holiday said:

Our Amazon cruise did stop at Devil's Island which was just beautiful for such a horrible past.

Looking at itineraries,  the ones I have seen have either had 2 days in Manaus and no stop at Devil's Island or 1 day at Manaus and 1 day at Devil's Island.

We had the stop at Devil's Island, but if had a choice it would be a difficult decision to make. 

No one has mentioned so far, the meeting of the waters, which just fascinated me, I made sure to be on deck for each of the 4 times we went through this condition.

I wouldn't fret over the Yellow Fever vaccine, the year we went it was called out for St. Bart's (I believe) if you had stopped at Devil's Island.  We had to cancel port at St. Bart's because of weather. Yes, no one asked for it, but as we have experienced this last year, countries can close borders, change entry requirements at a moments notice.  We now have the YF vaccine that is now lifetime, so we are ready for any place that might end up requiring it, in addition to the protection.

016 Meeting of the rivers, Amazon (brown) and Rio Negro (clear).JPG

Meeting to the waters...

015 Touring the backwaters in a local tourboat.JPG

Excursion boat for traveling an estuary...

007A Everything is built up off the river due to the annual flooding.JPG

The Amazon can tide over 30 feet...

010 People sleep in hammocks since travel between towns can be several days...JPG

Sleeping quarters on a local river boat...

Edited by Ride-The-Waves

2 hours ago, alidor said:

Well, forget it.   Just got an e-mail that they cancelled this March, 2022 cruise.   Yeah, I am a bit ticked.   That's almost a year away...

Brazil is experiencing severe COVID-19 threat to its populations, especially in these rural areas.  Disappointing, but I can understand the advanced cancellation.  Despite many north Americans being vaccinated the world is a long way from being safe from this virus.

• Like 3

The March 2022 canceling of the Voyager is due to the repositioning to the Med and not any problems with Brazil.   The Navigator is doing a Miami to Miami trip up the Amazon April 18 to May 13, the entire ship is wait listed.  I had to go to June until i found something I wanted to replace the February March Voyager cruise.