When will MSC start cruising again from the United States?

KyleClark

Seems like all I hear in the news is what's happening with RCCL, Carnival, and Norwegian. 

It's still early but I'd like to hear something from MSC and what their plans are going forward for US cruises.

• Like 3

Agreed.  Many updates, particularly with RCCL.  Have July 31st booked and have been very optimistic that MSC could pull it off given its success in Europe since last year, but with radio silence regarding their US operations, I am beginning to doubt it is going to happen.  Guess I may have to make a quick decision to cancel and switch to RCCL at some point.  Was really looking forward to Meraviglia.

I hope they 

2 minutes ago, jscruise said:

Agreed.  Many updates, particularly with RCCL.  Have July 31st booked and have been very optimistic that MSC could pull it off given its success in Europe since last year, but with radio silence regarding their US operations, I am beginning to doubt it is going to happen.  Guess I may have to make a quick decision to cancel and switch to RCCL at some point.  Was really looking forward to Meraviglia.

We're booked to sail on Meraviglia mid-October of this year. I just was able to get my FCC transferred to this new booking today. Would be about my luck if they end up canceling this one too. Trying to think positive thoughts!

58 minutes ago, sidari said:

Heard from friends who have been told they are required to travel to Miami in June in order to board Meraviglia, 200 crew have arrived in Miami already.

Are your friends passengers or crew?

My question is not only when but how? Do we need to do tests before boarding ?can we go ashore without excursions? Do I need to wear a mask around the ship and on show? I am looking for December cruise. So many questions no answers 

9 minutes ago, GOLDENBONNY said:

My question is not only when but how? Do we need to do tests before boarding ?can we go ashore without excursions? Do I need to wear a mask around the ship and on show? I am looking for December cruise. So many questions no answers 

New CDC guidelines released today. 

For vaccinated passengers, no tests required. (unless you're traveling from outside the US)

I don't want to get into the particulars, because each cruise line may be different. For vaccinated passengers though, it looks like cruising could be mostly back to normal.

Edited by jules815
  • Like 2

Well, the CSO is set to expire at the end of October so unless it's re-instated cruising should be back to normal after that.  As far as getting back to normal before October 31st the new CDC guidelines only let that happen if MSC goes to 95% vaccinated sailings.

MSC has not said anything about resuming cruises in the US. Focus has only been on Europe. I’ve seen senior leaders from Norwegian, Carnival and RC on the news and CNBC talking about their return to cruising in the US. 

My cruise isn’t until Nov 20 on the seashore but the lack of information from MSC has me nervous. 

41 minutes ago, neptuno said:

Just fly offshore if you want to cruise the Caribbean.  Seems like NCL is moving there.

Joy is already cancelled from Jamaica.  I also foresee doom for the Gem from Dominican Republic.  As well Bermuda sailings are gone.  Maybe even the St. Maarten sailings are in jeopardy depending on how Celebrity goes but with them already announcing sailings from Florida in June it isn't looking good.  I never had any urge to consider those CDC evasion cruises and surely don't now.

3 hours ago, GOLDENBONNY said:

Well several were answered by the CDC regardless of whether the CSO is extended or not.  MSC has now been given the discretion to not do any tests, to allow private/self planned excursions and to not require you wear a mask in certain designated areas (or the entire ship if they reach 95%) for any vaccinated passengers.  It's now up to MSC to state their policy.

4 hours ago, sidari said:

HS ... Crew.

Thank you. That gives me hope for an end of July Meravigilia cruise.

11 hours ago, Dbox said:

MSC has not said anything about resuming cruises in the US. Focus has only been on Europe. I’ve seen senior leaders from Norwegian, Carnival and RC on the news and CNBC talking about their return to cruising in the US. 

My cruise isn’t until Nov 20 on the seashore but the lack of information from MSC has me nervous. 

For those who have not accessed the MSC USA site, here is the statement that has been on the site for several months about MSC US cruises:

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/cdc-travel-guidelines

There has also been additional statements in the local press that MSC started working with the CDC while other cruise lines were just whining about the guidance.

When MSC first started their planning with the CDC, they were basing the submission on their procedures in place in Europe. As the Grandisosa was the ship in use in Europe and it is a Meravigilia class ship, those procedures and data could be used to support information submitted to the CDC.

When guidance changed to the 98% crew/ 95% passenger option and vaccinations became available for port workers and ships' crews, Meravigilia was at dock for the first day of the clinic.  MSC came out with a statement about having 100% crew vaccinations on any of their ships around that time.

If course, the question is now is whether MSC will update their policy for US sailings based upon the availability of vaccinations for ages twelve and up in the US which has lead to a population that can be vaccinated if they choose to be.

I personally would be happy to see a requirement for passenger vaccinations. 

For those whose automatic reflex is to scream that Florida state won't allow proof of vaccination, I suggest that the actual Executive Order and later state law be googled and read. It will be found that both the EO and law have provisions that would allow businesses to require proof of vaccination status.

Back to on board vaccination status: if US cruises will still be a mixed bag of vaccinated passengers and Darwin Award Finalists, the electronic wrist band in use of MSC cruises will be an easy way to include proof of vaccination status for those of us who understand that we can provide the information before or at embarkation. 

Perhaps the bands can also be different colors for an easy visual check without scanning.

• Like 3

On the MSC website, under Health and Safety Measures, there's a "coming soon" link for Bahamas and Caribbean Cruises. I'm sure that will be updated soon. What their protocols will be is anyone's guess, but I have a feeling they'll follow the other big cruise lines.

Edited by jules815

27 minutes ago, jules815 said:

On the MSC website, under Health and Safety Measures, there's a "coming soon" link for Bahamas and Caribbean Cruises. I'm sure that will be updated soon. What their protocols will be is anyone's guess, but I have a feeling they'll follow the other big cruise lines.

Jules ... MSC have their own which works and has been proven, why would they follow the other cruise lines ? Time for them and the CDC to learn from MSC.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, sidari said:

MSC have their own which works and has been proven, why would they follow the other cruise lines ? Time for them and the CDC to learn from MSC.

MSC's protocols were developed in a pre-vaccine environment.  I think if MSC can't adapt they will have a more and more difficult time keeping their customers.  In the US the vaccinated are finally seeing an end to the masking and social distance requirements.  If MSC plans to bring back a cruising experience that looks like our lives six months ago they will be in trouble.

There's going to be a significant number of vaccinated people that aren't willing to go back to masks, limited occupancy, etc.... just so the un-vaccinated can get on the ship too.  There will be pressure for the lines to go 95% vaccinated, MSC may choose not to but enough other lines have already said they will.  Customers will make their choices.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sidari said:

Jules ... MSC have their own which works and has been proven, why would they follow the other cruise lines ? Time for them and the CDC to learn from MSC.

Oh I know they do, and I agree. But I don't think that will happen. If the big players in the US market are following the CDC guidance, I have a feeling that's what MSC will do for US sailings as well. I could be totally wrong though.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Até said:

MSC's protocols were developed in a pre-vaccine environment.  I think if MSC can't adapt they will have a more and more difficult time keeping their customers.  In the US the vaccinated are finally seeing an end to the masking and social distance requirements.  If MSC plans to bring back a cruising experience that looks like our lives six months ago they will be in trouble.

There's going to be a significant number of vaccinated people that aren't willing to go back to masks, limited occupancy, etc.... just so the un-vaccinated can get on the ship too.  There will be pressure for the lines to go 95% vaccinated, MSC may choose not to but enough other lines have already said they will.  Customers will make their choices.

This!  While agree that MSC has been successful with their protocols in the European markets, it's a different ballgame in the US.