Silhouette around Britain staycruisecations

Thameside

39 minutes ago, Nick&Simon said:

I'm really unhappy about the latest email from Celebrity regarding the UK Summer cruises.

"UK Guests 18 years and older must be fully vaccinated".

That isn't what was stated when I purchased which was "all guests must be fully vaccinated". Which would not only have meant an adult only ship but a fully vaccinated ship.

The only slight positive for me is that all crew will be vaccinated.

On balance I will cancel my booking if Cunard have anything available and book another trip with them.

Depending on when the cruise was booked there have been several changes to the details around health requirements, many of which people have found out about on here rather than via any sort of notification from Celebrity. Hopefully the unvaccinated under 18s will be minimal and the now fully vaccinated crew more than make up for that in terms of the numbers.

X are also still advertising Scottish ports which at the moment are a no go and they have apparently been aware of that since May. No word on alternative ports as yet.

At least there is the option to cancel but still an FCC only, even when the “goalposts” have changed. Times are so uncertain I’m sure there will be more changes before sailing.

I hope you find something that suits you.

1 hour ago, Nick&Simon said:

That isn't what was stated when I purchased which was "all guests must be fully vaccinated"

Not sure they can say that, as at the moment children are not eligible for vaccination in the UK.

When we booked 30/04/21, it stated adults must be vaccinated and children require a PCR test. Now everyone requires the PCR test.

Edited by upwarduk

When we booked it said ALL guests must be vaccinated which therefore meant that there would be no children on board. Our sailing is the 17th July so is within the wider range of school holidays.

Hopefully despite changing the requirements there should not be too many children, plus being ‘stuck’ on board ship for a week would not be the most appealing break for those with children. TBH I have never been troubled by children on my Celebrity sailings. I can’t wait for my trip, have booked in online and have my boarding time 😊🚢.

37 minutes ago, upwarduk said:

Not sure they can say that, as at the moment children are not eligible for vaccination in the UK.

When we booked 30/04/21, it stated adults must be vaccinated and children require a PCR test. Now everyone requires the PCR test.

I believe they can as other lines are doing just that. Not all adults are eligible for their second vaccination as yet, there have been a lot of complaints from younger adults about the vaccine requirements as they are excluded. It also excludes adults who can’t take the current vaccine so not just children.

Personally I would be much happier if everyone is vaccinated from a safety perspective, while not perfect it is at least reducing risk. I do however understand the views of those currently excluded.

I am waiting to hear from Celebrity how many children are on the 3rd July trip, I'll make a final decision then, but just in case I have  booked an additional trip with Cunard who currently have an 'all passengers must be vaccinated' policy.

It a disappointment as I was looking for a line other than Cunard and Princess as they have a no reboarding (any CCL vessel) policy within 7 days.

image.thumb.png.0bff280203470b0d7e9d614d8074d25a.png

You know what folks. These are first world problems.

I have friends who have lost family, colleagues who have lost jobs and houses because of this ghastly virus.

If we manage to get on our cruise I’ll be delighted. Tours may or may not happen.

This is a fluid situation and I’m sure everyone in Celebrity trying their best but no doubt there will be plenty of people complaining to Guest Relations on board to people who have no control whatsoever.

Lets be happy we’re able to look forward to a cruise. Others aren’t as lucky 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, swjumbo said:

I have friends who have lost family, colleagues who have lost jobs and houses because of this ghastly virus.

If we manage to get on our cruise I’ll be delighted. Tours may or may not happen.

This is a fluid situation and I’m sure everyone in Celebrity trying their best but no doubt there will be plenty of people complaining to Guest Relations on board to people who have no control whatsoever.

Agree wholeheartedly with everything you've said. Just booked for 21 August and if it goes ahead I will be delighted, but if not I will just accept it must have been for good reasons.

@Nick&Simon - Just wondering what your thoughts are on the 2 VACCINATED people who tested positive on the recent Millennium cruise. Assume since they were asymptomatic, they were passing it around the ship. The vaccine doesn't stop you from getting COVID.

Might be best as you say to try another line. 

Edited by American_in_York
typo

7 minutes ago, American_in_York said:

@Nick&Simon - Just wondering what your thoughts are on the 2 VACCINATED people who tested positive on the recent Millennium cruise. Assume since they were asymptomatic, they were passing it around the ship. The vaccine doesn't stop you from getting COVID.

Might be best as you say to try another line. 

I don't think it can be helped. You can only take the reasonable precautions that are available. My preference is not to be on a ship with people who are not vaccinated, but of course vaccinated people get Covid as do people who have been PCR tested and prove negative.

1 hour ago, swjumbo said:

I'm with you there!

We too are hoping there will not be many children on our July 17th sailing. 
Most UK schools don’t break up until July 23rd so you would hope they would wait for school holidays. 
Also MSC and Royal Caribbean have so many more facilities on board for children and young families. 
never really thought of Celebrity as a family ship

8 minutes ago, Minnie29 said:

Most UK schools don’t break up until July 23rd so you would hope they would wait for school holidays. 
Also MSC and Royal Caribbean have so many more facilities on board for children and young families. 

Most Scottish schools break for summer at the end of June - agree though that there’s other lines that cater more specifically to kids.

13 minutes ago, Minnie29 said:

Thanks for a helpful insight. Its ten years since I sailed on Celebrity, and that was a Christmas trip, so my recollection maybe unrepresentative.

9 minutes ago, Nick&Simon said:

Thanks for a helpful insight. Its ten years since I sailed on Celebrity, and that was a Christmas trip, so my recollection maybe unrepresentative.

Most summer cruises that I’ve taken with celebrity have had a number of families and children of all ages on board. So while not overrun with kids it is fairly family friendly with their kids/teen club.

2 hours ago, swjumbo said:

I hate that phrase “first world problems”, it is a catch all way of excusing anything - bad practice, lack of communication, last minute changes and general virtue signalling.

We all know that people have lost jobs and indeed very sadly lives during this dreadful pandemic but that has absolutely no bearing on contract law which any cruise company will apply rigorously when it suits them. If it suits them to cancel and the contract allows it they will, if they want to change requirements and the contract allows it they will. 

Customers surely have the right to be annoyed when things that make a material difference to how safe they feel change after they book?  

I am looking forward to a cruise and accept that there may be changes however if I don’t like the changes and don’t feel safe because of them I will cancel. That is surely anyones right and they don’t need banality like “first world problems” aimed at them. Live and let live.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, delondin said:

We booked the first day they went on sale and I’m sure it said under 18’s need test and everyone else two jabs. 

The fact that we all have different ideas about what it said means it has changed for some. The web can change in the blink of an eye unlike the old school printed brochures.

Personally I now scan ALL the relevant sections the day I book and it is not the first time I have had to use it for cruises and land based holidays.

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

The fact that we all have different ideas about what it said means it has changed for some. The web can change in the blink of an eye unlike the old school printed brochures.

Personally I now scan ALL the relevant sections the day I book and it is not the first time I have had to use it for cruises and land based holidays.

I wish I could be so fastidious.

5 hours ago, CocoCronut said:

Most Scottish schools break for summer at the end of June - agree though that there’s other lines that cater more specifically to kids.

The private schools will have broken up too.

• Like 1

From BBC news

All areas of Scotland are due to move to Level Zero Covid restrictions on 28 June - meaning bigger groups can gather in cafés, pubs and restaurants, although they will still have to observe social distancing.

If this goes ahead, then the stops in Scotland will be OK 🤞though May still have to take Celebrity excursions.

• Like 1

I think young families will be more inclined to book MSCand Royal Caribbean as they have so much more facilities for them. 
Celebrity are a much more adult cruise line and with the requirement for double vaccinated over 18’s I should imagine the later August/September cruises will have the majority of families as they will have had their 2nd jab by then. 
I notice the July 17th cruise has now been removed from the Celebrity website. I would imagine in anticipation of Boris’ announcement that he is extending the current restrictions until July 19th. meaning the July 17th cruise will have limited capacity and lots of protocols onboard 

26 minutes ago, Minnie29 said:

I think young families will be more inclined to book MSCand Royal Caribbean as they have so much more facilities for them. 
Celebrity are a much more adult cruise line and with the requirement for double vaccinated over 18’s I should imagine the later August/September cruises will have the majority of families as they will have had their 2nd jab by then. 
I notice the July 17th cruise has now been removed from the Celebrity website. I would imagine in anticipation of Boris’ announcement that he is extending the current restrictions until July 19th. meaning the July 17th cruise will have limited capacity and lots of protocols onboard 

I am on the July 17th sailing. Personally the additional protocols are not too much of an issue (makes indoors etc) for us as we sort of expected they could still be in place and made our decision to cruise based on the worst case scenarios, but it will be interesting if they do ease restrictions on the 19th if they would change protocols onboard midway or if they would just wait until the next cruise. 🤔

4 hours ago, downsmead said:

From BBC news

All areas of Scotland are due to move to Level Zero Covid restrictions on 28 June - meaning bigger groups can gather in cafés, pubs and restaurants, although they will still have to observe social distancing.

If this goes ahead, then the stops in Scotland will be OK 🤞though May still have to take Celebrity excursions.

Looks like Scotland is going to delay

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/covid-in-scotland-variant-likely-to-delay-lockdown-exit-says-humza-yousaf-s0nns9pw9

Edited by BigAl94