Silhouette around Britain staycruisecations

Thameside

6 minutes ago, BigAl94 said:

☹️, I could only see the first couple of sentences as it is behind a paywall, but oh well! It’s ironic we can enter Scotland by any other means of transport without any restrictions, but can’t visit on a cruise ship where the vast majority of people will have been vaccinated and tested. My husband will be disappointed to miss his Whisky tasting.

12 minutes ago, downsmead said:

☹️, I could only see the first couple of sentences as it is behind a paywall, but oh well! It’s ironic we can enter Scotland by any other means of transport without any restrictions, but can’t visit on a cruise ship where the vast majority of people will have been vaccinated and tested. My husband will be disappointed to miss his Whisky tasting.

The whole thing is a farce and just silly when tourists can and are coming by any other method.

Sadly I doubt Scotland will move to level 0 as planned as much of the central belt is still in 2. They just have to move down to 1 for ships to come in but in some areas the numbers are still quite high, Dundee City is in the 200s/10k and so are 3 or 4 other areas which may stay in 2 (she might even put them back up to level 3 lockdown which would cause a riot).

The FM is doing a formal review tomorrow so we should hear something then.

Your husband can console himself with a dram or two in the ship, I’m sure they will have something half decent on the top shelf (but not quite the same thing I know).

Has anyone heard if we might get another port?

On 6/13/2021 at 9:39 AM, Nick&Simon said:

That isn't what was stated when I purchased which was "all guests must be fully vaccinated". Which would not only have meant an adult only ship but a fully vaccinated ship.

I'm sure this was never the case as I think it has always been stated guests over 18 had to be fully vaccinated ever since the cruises first went on sale. I booked for my family on 8th April (the day the sailings were released) and I've just double checked the emails from Celebrity on that day announcing the cruises going on sale.

Below is copied and pasted from email from Celebrity on 8th April (so only difference is a change to the proposed testing protocol):

"We will require all guests aged 18 and over to be fully vaccinated prior to boarding. All adults will need to provide verifiable proof of vaccination on boarding day and the document must show the individual is fully vaccinated, meaning the full cycle of required doses is completed and that the final dose was received at least 14 days before sailing. Children aged 2-17 years will be required to provide a negative PCR test received no more than 72 hours prior to boarding"

I sympathise with your viewpoint though and can see why some would prefer to go on a 100% vaccinated adults only cruise which several other lines are offering. As I've mentioned in previous emails I don't think there will be many kids on board as there are more family orientated lines and I doubt that many families will be in the position of having both parents being double jabbed by then. Also as others have mentioned 3rd July is still in term time for most of UK.

Edited by oxmatt

Just had a an e mail from Celebrity regarding the 3rd July sailing. Basically Dover and Liverpool have been added and Greenock cancelled. Belfast brought forward a day.

"We look forward to welcoming you aboard Celebrity Silhouette® for your 6-Night UK Cruise sailing from Southampton, England on 3 July 2021. Before we depart, we have some important information to share regarding your itinerary. Celebrity Cruises has been working closely with health and government authorities, in each country we sail from, to outline a clear path for cruising with new health and safety measures. As we thoughtfully plan our return to service, we are evaluating all current itineraries and the status of travel conditions around the world. This means some of our sailings will need to be modified. Specific to your future Celebrity Silhouette sailing, we have added a call to the port of Dover on Sunday, July 4, now followed by Belfast on 6 July and replaced our call to Glasgow with a full day in Liverpool on 7 July.

We anticipate that guests will be permitted to debark Celebrity Silhouette in ports of call where there are no restrictions put in place by port authorities or local government. If and where local restrictions are in place, Celebrity Cruises will only allow guests who have booked a curated shore excursion to leave the ship to ensure we adhere to the protocols they have defined.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I wonder how they will cope with x3 Scottish ports (06/08/21)?
However I did hear on the news this morning that ALL of Scotland will be Tier 0 by 28th June, so in theory no problems.

Edited by upwarduk

We’re staying on board and spending our OBC on a few special drams whilst enjoying the views.

We are not giving Wee Nicola the pleasure of trying to ruin our trip and are of the mindset that we’re not getting off!

Cheers 

• Haha 2

Doesn’t matter to us which ports there are on our 17th July cruise. We are just delighted to be back on board. 
As far as school aged children are concerned there shouldn’t really be any on this cruise as the school don’t break up until July 23rd. Also younger adults with young children, in the majority probably won’t be double vaccinated in time for this cruise either

• Like 1

I've just been checking in online for the 17 July Silhouette cruise and see that Celebrity want passport info for each traveller. We assumed we wouldn't need our passports as the cruise is a closed loop one staying in in the UK and for UK passengers only. Taking passports isn't much bother if we have to, but our 1 year old granddaughter doesn't yet have one and her 6 year old brother's passport ran out last September. As she was born during the 1st lockdown it didn't seem worth paying for a passport for her until she was actually able to travel abroad, and wasn't worth renewing her brother's for the same reason. There's nothing in the booking conditions about this for UK 'staycation' cruises and I tried ringing them earlier but had to give up after being on hold for 40 minutes. So, will Celebrity insist on passports or accept other forms of ID for them (eg birth certificates)? Anyone know? And if they will, how do we check in as it doesn't give any other option for ID, only a passport.

Usually it is passports only but only Celebrity will give you their precise requirements. Please get the information from them to be sure. 

If that is the case you may be able to get passports in time if you go to a passport office, check on line for expedited passports.

Edited by downsmead
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Mim Lloyd said:

I've just been checking in online for the 17 July Silhouette cruise and see that Celebrity want passport info for each traveller. We assumed we wouldn't need our passports as the cruise is a closed loop one staying in in the UK and for UK passengers only. Taking passports isn't much bother if we have to, but our 1 year old granddaughter doesn't yet have one and her 6 year old brother's passport ran out last September. As she was born during the 1st lockdown it didn't seem worth paying for a passport for her until she was actually able to travel abroad, and wasn't worth renewing her brother's for the same reason. There's nothing in the booking conditions about this for UK 'staycation' cruises and I tried ringing them earlier but had to give up after being on hold for 40 minutes. So, will Celebrity insist on passports or accept other forms of ID for them (eg birth certificates)? Anyone know? And if they will, how do we check in as it doesn't give any other option for ID, only a passport.

I think passports are required for all cruises. You are at sea and there might be an emergency situation where they have to dock at a foreign port e.g. travelling back from Belfast, Southern Ireland might have the nearest port. Best check with Celebrity though.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Mim Lloyd said:

Passports are required for all guests regardless of where the cruise is going.

• Like 2

Sad me 🤦‍♀️😂. It is one of my non- working days and so I have been looking through the various roll calls for the July seacations. Everyone that has commented has booked for the 12-12.30 pm slot!! 

It may be that we are all keen but interesting that there seem to be so many slots available for that time since there will be far more non-cc’s booking in also (unless they have all the later slots 🤷‍♀️).

4 hours ago, Minnie29 said:

Doesn’t matter to us which ports there are on our 17th July cruise. We are just delighted to be back on board. 
As far as school aged children are concerned there shouldn’t really be any on this cruise as the school don’t break up until July 23rd. Also younger adults with young children, in the majority probably won’t be double vaccinated in time for this cruise either

Just for info Scottish schools break up at the end of June - in fact for us a week on Friday and it can’t come soon enough.

Wendy

3 hours ago, Mim Lloyd said:

You even need your passport if you are just doing a ship visit for the day so I imagine it would be required for these cruises. 

• Like 1

Yes passports required for all UK cruises. 
at least you have the option to change your cruise to a later date if you can’t get new passports in time. 
passport renewals are generally quicker than starting a new passport request 

• Like 1

Passports have always been required for cruises even if they were uk cruises before covid even existed.. 

Im hopeful as well for Aug the 6th  TBF Scotland doesnt have to get to lvl 0 it only has to drop the remaining lvl 2s down to 1 which I think may happen mid to late July..

Has anyone had issues with some trips showing as available  (rather than ask onboard) and then it wont accept a number of pax and just crashes the system

My son applied online for my grandson's renewal and apparently it comes through in 2 weeks or less. And the baby granddaughter does have a passport after all so no need to ring Celebrity now and hang on the line for a hour or so! Thanks for your replies.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Mim Lloyd said:

My son applied online for my grandson's renewal and apparently it comes through in 2 weeks or less. And the baby granddaughter does have a passport after all so no need to ring Celebrity now and hang on the line for a hour or so! Thanks for your replies.

That’s good news. So much paperwork for these holidays that is is easy to miss the basics while concentrating on all the other hoops.

• Like 1

Re Scottish port visits.

The FM has said no changes to levels this week so still many areas in level 2 which means no cruises at Scottish ports.

The next full major review is next Tuesday for 28June onward (when everyone was supposed to go to level 0) but she is already saying that nothing is likely to change until late July. She may consider minor changes for anomalies which are being highlighted by but whether cruising will be one of them no one knows yet. It is certainly an anomaly and a complete scunner !

So potentially Liverpool or Dover here I come if the ports for most of July need changed.

I get the impression shes saying nothing major is going to be changing re getting to lvl 0 - but cruising only needs to get to lvl 1 so fingers crossed..

Then again you can pack all the trains from Scotland to Wembley and back again stand with not an inch of elbow room on the journey and no one asks if your vaccinated or asks any questions so logic is out the window

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ighten said:

I get the impression shes saying nothing major is going to be changing re getting to lvl 0 - but cruising only needs to get to lvl 1 so fingers crossed..

Then again you can pack all the trains from Scotland to Wembley and back again stand with not an inch of elbow room on the journey and no one asks if your vaccinated or asks any questions so logic is out the window

Exactly. It’s stupid along with a number of other things that defy any sort of logic. 6000 untested supporters in a fan zone in Glasgow but won’t allow under a 1000 double vaccinated and tested cruisers, many of whom won’t even leave the ship into the same city.

• Like 2