No masks or social distancing on cruises!!

Shakatime

On 5/30/2021 at 1:04 PM, kdr69 said:

I just cant understand the logic behind this thinking?  How does getting tested weekly help you not spread the virus?  Testing confirms you have it after the fact of getting it and having possibly exposed it to others prior to your test results.  Testing is not telling you that you will get it tomorrow so stay away from others.  it boggles my mind the way some folks logic paths work.🙄

Simple. Uninformed is one word that comes to mind.

On 5/30/2021 at 2:27 PM, balcony bound said:

I'll give you another first hand experience.  I had both COVID and the vaccine.  My second dose put me down hard with all those symptoms plus shortness of breath and a few others. I literally could not stay awake or get out of bed and reckoned that must feel like when you die, that you just can't stay conscious and you don't care.  My entire body hurt like crazy.  The rash went from my elbow through my back, every lymph node was swollen.  It's been 6 weeks or so and still have lingering effects. I can deal with most, but the shortness of breath sucks.

I've always been a perfectly healthy person.  I take no medications, have no ailments or disease, and I am not overweight.

Has your doctor diagnosed you as a Covid long hauler?

8 hours ago, Radiioman46 said:

No where else in the country are there protocols different for either the vaccinated or unvaccinated. So, it should be the same for cruising on the ships. It shouldn't matter. 

Each cruise line should set their policy for all their passengers however they see fit.

The CDC is wrong by issuing a different set of protocols for each group. 

I don't quite understand your first statement. Everywhere in the country there are different protocols for vaccinated and un-vaccinated people. The CDC has given updated guidelines to vaccinated people, NOT un-vaccinated people. Unfortunately, these protocols are at the mercy of the "honor system".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

Yet other countries have been cruising for months.  It's our country that is slow to open up an entire industry.

And the pandemic has nothing to do with it? 

Plus your statement probably should have been other countries have had LIMITED cruising. And how many for months?

And for your information, the US has had cruising for months with American Steamboat Cruise Lines.

Edited by ontheweb
added last paragraph

10 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Plus your statement probably should have been other countries have had LIMITED cruising. And how many for months?

And for your information, the US has had cruising for months with American Steamboat Cruise Lines.

The pandemic is worldwide, so other countries faced the same obstacles as the US.  Our country developed vaccines very quickly, so there's not even that excuse. Everyone has their own opinion and if you think closing the entire industry down in the US was fine and dandy, you have that right.  

My opinion is that the people coming up with cruising recommendations/requirements are being extremely unreasonable treating a cruise ship like an airplane.  Even  worse, because covid positive people can fly on planes and sit within inches of another person for hours.  I think US cruising should have  opened up in January.  

It's ridiculous to make different requirements for cruise ships than land based hotels, amusement parks, pools, and restaurants since cruise ships have all of those and people aren't stuck sitting next to another person for hours on end.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

The pandemic is worldwide, so other countries faced the same obstacles as the US.  Our country developed vaccines very quickly, so there's not even that excuse. Everyone has their own opinion and if you think closing the entire industry down in the US was fine and dandy, you have that right.  

My opinion is that the people coming up with cruising recommendations/requirements are being extremely unreasonable treating a cruise ship like an airplane.  Even  worse, because covid positive people can fly on planes and sit within inches of another person for hours.  I think US cruising should have  opened up in January.  

It's ridiculous to make different requirements for cruise ships than land based hotels, amusement parks, pools, and restaurants since cruise ships have all of those and people aren't stuck sitting next to another person for hours on end.

Again, I repeat, the US has had river cruises for months. An American owned line, the American Steamboat Cruise line has been sailing now for months adhering to all CDC requirements, and even more requirements as an American flagged ship.

21 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Again, I repeat, the US has had river cruises for months. An American owned line, the American Steamboat Cruise line has been sailing now for months adhering to all CDC requirements, and even more requirements as an American flagged ship.

I think they are exempt from CDC cruise requirements. Aren't they less than 500 passengers?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Well, I think you took a pause from cruising. That was the biggest change for us. Looking back in 10-20 years we'll see.

That was beyond my choice: I have my money to several AIs during 2020 because those were my only options. Still had a great time, great family time, didn't spend our time fearful. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

Also add in what countries?  What cruse lines?  What were the rules they were cruising under?  What countries are the ships flagged in?  Lots of very important questions that need answering to even respond to that very broad statement.

On 5/30/2021 at 4:20 PM, LadyMac72 said:

All I know is that when our state eliminated its mask mandate (and I took mine off because I'm vaccinated), I ended up at urgent care for a shot of zofran because I had viral gastroenteritis.  Spread through my whole (maskless) office.  So covid may not be the only thing masks have protected us from.

A mask would have nothing to do with the spread of gastroenteritis. It is not an airborne virus. 

• Like 4

Another question, mostly directed at DeSantos, but, other contries are requiring airlines to verify vacination status before they can even take off, so why is he not hitting airlines with $5000 a person fines? Also if most Carribian islands require vacination, how can they give proof before entering there waters?

8 minutes ago, cscurlock said:

The pay 0 dollars in federal taxes.  If you have proof otherwise I am waiting for a response.  

according to google in 2019 they paid 71 million in federal taxes.

https://cruiseradio.net/fact-check-do-cruise-lines-pay-us-taxes/

Edited by balcony bound
link

7 minutes ago, balcony bound said:

according to google in 2019 they paid 71 million in federal taxes.

Correct its 2-4 percent was updating my response.  Certain countries have repricol agreements with  and they have 0.  I think its not even close to what American companies pay.   First site I went to stated  "The three biggest cruise lines are incorporated in what are called equivalent exemption countries where they are not required to pay the 21 percent corporate income tax that U.S. companies are obligated to pay, said Robert Willens, a tax and accounting analyst."  I figured that equals 0.  Second site tells me there are some federal taxes. So those must be outside the 21% I guess

Edited by cscurlock

On 5/30/2021 at 5:10 PM, firefly333 said:

Lol I'm the last person to ask to defend the cdc stance. I'd like to fire them all. Dr faucci too. 

You got some CDC cheerleaders on board. They're already pimping the new VARIANT.....CBS news already started to pop the balloons.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cscurlock said:

Correct its 2-4 percent was updating my response.  Certain countries have repricol agreements with  and they have 0.  I think its not even close to what American companies pay.  

Also local state port fees $600 million, docking fees, per passenger fees, etc.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cscurlock said:

Correct its 2-4 percent was updating my response.  Certain countries have repricol agreements with  and they have 0.  I think its not even close to what American companies pay.  

I read 21 major american companies paid 0 in taxes. Not sure what your pt is, maybe that congress needs to write some new tax laws with fewer loopholes? Companies way bigger than ccl. 

• Like 1

M y

2 minutes ago, balcony bound said:

Also local state port fees $600 million, docking fees, per passenger fees, etc.

My point for this whole thing was that someone in Colorado doesn't get any benefit from that money so if there is an issue at sea regarding and outbreak the cruise corporation should pay those expenses.   If they don't pay a lot or any federal taxes why should someone who is not on the cruise have to pay for the expense because last year that is exactly what happened for some of these ships.  I do understand they bring jobs etc, I am not arguing that, what I am just saying having federal dollars used it not fair to the taxpayer regarding the costs involved in the event of an outbreak.  That is why they need agreements.  

1 minute ago, cscurlock said:

M y

My point for this whole thing was that someone in Colorado doesn't get any benefit from that money so if there is an issue at sea regarding and outbreak the cruise corporation should pay those expenses.   If they don't pay a lot or any federal taxes why should someone who is not on the cruise have to pay for the expense because last year that is exactly what happened for some of these ships.  I do understand they bring jobs etc, I am not arguing that, what I am just saying having federal dollars used it not fair to the taxpayer regarding the costs involved in the event of an outbreak.  That is why they need agreements.  

Are you saying you don't think federal dollars should be spent to take care of American Passengers in distress?

5 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I read 21 major american companies paid 0 in taxes. Not sure what your pt is, maybe that congress needs to write some new tax laws with fewer loopholes? Companies way bigger than ccl. 

Yeah we can both agree that is crap.  Those loop holes need to be absolutely closed.  That's a discussion for another thread.  I think the only difference is these other companies are not running cruises that can have outbreaks that require money to handle.  That could have a negative impact on the American taxpayer if there isn't some level of rules to protect the American taxpayer.   Which is why at least initially there needs to be some level of agreement in place so we don't have a repeat of 2020.

5 minutes ago, balcony bound said:

Are you saying you don't think federal dollars should be spent to take care of American Passengers in distress?

I am saying that it should be the cruise lines who pay the cost because the guy in Colorado is not on the cruise and his tax dollars are being used.  It should not be the American taxpayer.  Why should he pay for someone else's failed vacation?  The cruise lines are making a profit on this so why does he have to pay for that?