2 part question on pre cruise out of Miami

beav2

If we are staying in Tampa before our cruise out of Miami,  is it ok to drive to the POM the day of the cruise? Is there enough time to get there? Or do we take a hotel the night before closer to the port? 

How easy is the parking of our car at the cruise terminal? Or do we find a hotel that we can leave our car there and then shuttle to port?   Thanks in advance for any advice.

The drive from Tampa to Miami will take about 5 hours. You could get on the road at dawn, or earlier, and make it with time to spare but I would suggest making the trip at least one day early. Hampton Inn Mary Brickell has an attached parking garage and nearby dining options; check to see if they offer a cruise parking package.

Parking at POM is convenient, covered and secure - the walk from garage to check in is usually 100 yards of less.  Check the port web site for current rates - used to be $19/day. You will be 50 miles down the road before you can shuttle/taxi/Uber back to your car at any hotel.

Have a great cruise! 😎

48 minutes ago, JohninDC said:

The drive from Tampa to Miami will take about 5 hours. You could get on the road at dawn, or earlier, and make it with time to spare but I would suggest making the trip at least one day early. Hampton Inn Mary Brickell has an attached parking garage and nearby dining options; check to see if they offer a cruise parking package.

Parking at POM is convenient, covered and secure - the walk from garage to check in is usually 100 yards of less.  Check the port web site for current rates - used to be $19/day. You will be 50 miles down the road before you can shuttle/taxi/Uber back to your car at any hotel.

Have a great cruise! 😎

Totally agree! You wouldn't be wise to risk your cruise on a 5 hour drive...A little Google Map research would show you the route is  mostly rural roads (and the time frame required), which could be blocked easily by an accident or worse.

I also agree with the thoughts of JohninDC and CruiserBruce.  

6 hours ago, JohninDC said:

Parking at POM is convenient, covered and secure

That is what I found as well.  Plenty of spaces in the Garage closest to where MSC Meraviglia docked.  (Maybe Garage J?  Don't remember for sure.)  The only issue I had was dealing with the traffic in the Port of Miami when I arrived, trying to drop off luggage, and then get to the garage.  Patience is required!

Drive down a day before, stay at a nice Miami hotel and be ready for a great start on embarkation day. You would need to leave at 6:00AM from Tampa for the five hour drive to Miami. Not a great way to start your cruise vacation.

5 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

A little Google Map research would show you the route is  mostly rural roads.

I would hardly call I-75 a rural road. But I still would drive it the day before.

Edited by Langoustine

6 hours ago, Langoustine said:

I would hardly call I-75 a rural road. But I still would drive it the day before.

I agree and just make sure to check the conditions before heading off.  While uncommon but not unheard of,  portions of Alligator Alley (Naples to Fort Lauderdale) are known to close due to wildfires, (and the resulting smoke), or accidents.  The alternative route is the Tamiami Trail located further south of Alligator Alley.

A couple of years ago we drove I-75 from Fort Lauderdale and were within a few miles of Naples when there was smoke ahead and, as we got closer, fire on the side of the road and police and fire fighters in the median preparing to fight the fire and close the road.  It didn't reopen for more than 24 hours.  That was an especially bad wildfire.  Fires are more likely to happen at the end of the dry season (April, May)  before the rainy season starts.  Of course accidents can and do happen anytime.

As a few have said, it is risky to do  a 5 hour drive same day as departure. Drive over the day before and stay in Miami area .... there are many choices. Also, plan to park your car at the pier as it makes an easy get away when the ship returns. 

6 hours ago, Noxequifans said:

plan to park your car at the pier as it makes an easy get away when the ship returns. 

Yes, my getaway after disembarking the Meraviglia was quicker and easier than I expected.  

On 5/30/2021 at 11:29 PM, capriccio said:

I agree and just make sure to check the conditions before heading off.  While uncommon but not unheard of,  portions of Alligator Alley (Naples to Fort Lauderdale) are known to close due to wildfires, (and the resulting smoke), or accidents.  The alternative route is the Tamiami Trail located further south of Alligator Alley.

A couple of years ago we drove I-75 from Fort Lauderdale and were within a few miles of Naples when there was smoke ahead and, as we got closer, fire on the side of the road and police and fire fighters in the median preparing to fight the fire and close the road.  It didn't reopen for more than 24 hours.  That was an especially bad wildfire.  Fires are more likely to happen at the end of the dry season (April, May)  before the rainy season starts.  Of course accidents can and do happen anytime.

It’s definitely not unheard of for alligator alley to get closed during our fire season, been caught many times stuck and also turned around.