The Daily for Monday May 31, 2021

richwmn

2 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

@dfish,Tana is home with her son and DD  and I  just got home from bringing them a full BBQ dinner. And dessert. She is letting  us help  which is not her usual way to be.

Excellent news.  I’m so glad she is letting you help.  I hope she keeps it up 🤞 

• Like 6

55 minutes ago, kazu said:

Thanks 🙂 

I’m not too worried.  It gets pretty cold here and from what I have seen so far it will be above 0 (above freezing) so it’s not that cold for us 😉 

The sun will definitely be interesting.  

Pat's cold weather gear in Geiranger in July, 2013!

P1020813.thumb.JPG.d5f61a8f6faf7e4c895586ceb57947f9.JPG

And the midnight sun (actually 12:06)

P1040713.thumb.JPG.902216b70a6b708ddbe54d57a4e440ee.JPG

• Like 21
  • Haha 1

Just now, Vict0riann said:

And the midnight sun (actually 12:06)

P1040713.thumb.JPG.902216b70a6b708ddbe54d57a4e440ee.JPG

LOL on the cold weather gear, Ann 😂 

We’re going in May so I’m not quite counting on that.  Gorgeous sun pic.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, kazu said:

Canada House is on the bank of the ocean in Normandy.   If you walk down a little street in Normandy you will find it on the bank (and a ton of Canadian flags everywhere) It’s not a museum but a house that was there and is part of Canadian military history.  The Allies used it to spot the landing site for D Day our guide told us.

Everything in that location was bombed or destroyed - except Canada House which stood as the beacon.  No one knows how or why it was missed.

To the best of my knowledge it is not open to anyone (or wasn’t when we were there) but there is a lovely memorial in front of it for it’s role and it is literally strewn with poppies all the time.  It is still standing to this day and treasured by the people of Normandy.  Here’s better info than I can provide:

https://www.veterans.gc.ca/pdf/remembrance/information-for/educators/d-day/canada-house-handout-ENG.pdf

Oops, should have read down not backwards.  I didn’t realize bdrcole had answered.  Apologies.

Thank you!   No need to apologize, I appreciate both answers! 

• Like 7

With all that was happening today, there were a couple of things I forgot to mention.

First, our pulled pork yesterday was the best we’ve ever smoked, and if I say so myself, we’ve made some really good pulled pork.  We cooked it a longer than usual which made it juicy and tender,  In fact, when I started to pull it, it just pulled itself.

I don’t think I’ve had macaroons, but I’m pretty sure they served macarons at the chocolate surprise on the last gala night on the Rotterdam last year.  Whatever they were, they were good, but then they were chocolate!  😀

We do need to protect our hearing.  I’ve been using hearing aids for a little  more than five years, and they help.  My father started having hearing loss in his late 50s, so it could be hereditary.

This morning, we made an early run to the box store about 22 miles away before the predicted rain was supposed to arrive.  Then we cleaned the smoker, and just finished when it began to pour.  We got a quarter inch in about 15 minutes.  This afternoon, we got another 1 1/2 inches in about 30 minutes, plus more for 2 inches so far today.  We’re due for more rain tonight.

I wish we could send some of this rain to Arizona, California and New Mexico where it is desperately needed.

Lenda 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, smitty34877 said:

@dfish,Tana is home with her son and DD  and I  just got home from bringing them a full BBQ dinner. And dessert. She is letting  us help  which is not her usual way to be.

Glad to hear she's accepting help.  I hope all goes well for her and that her recovery is complete and quick.

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

I wonder if each practice has it's own rules.

Roy

Could be.  

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

That's like my cold weather gear in Geiranger!   But, we went to the top of Mt. Dalsnibba and you do need cold weather gear up there.   

• Like 6

So very late but tuning into the Daily seems to be a great way to end a wonderful Memorial Day. We had great weather and were able to grill steak to go with baked potatoes and salad. And wine. The sunset was terrific. Love the lack of humidity and oppressive heat. I will now go back and read today’s thread from the beginning. Although we’ve never been to Marseilles, we look forward to visiting virtually with your photos and memories. Thank you all.

• Like 14

Thanks for all the daily information and photos.

@Vict0riann wishing your DH Happy Birthday.

@smitty34877 good news that Tana is home and letting you help them.

Good news is that we have very welcome sunshine today, the bad news is that a bridge on state highway 1, in the Canterbury town of Ashburton is closed due to structural damage caused by  the flooded river.    So we are cut off from the north  by road access.

We went to the neighbourhood supermarket this morning, lots of empty spaces on the shelves just like during covid lockdown last year.............at present  the trucks carrying fresh supplies are unable to travel further south than Ashburton.  

Take care everyone.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, erewhon said:

Good news is that we have very welcome sunshine today, the bad news is that a bridge on state highway 1, in the Canterbury town of Ashburton is closed due to structural damage caused by  the flooded river.    So we are cut off from the north  by road access.

We went to the neighbourhood supermarket this morning, lots of empty spaces on the shelves just like during covid lockdown last year.............at present  the trucks carrying fresh supplies are unable to travel further south than Ashburton.  

Take care everyone.

Erewhon I am so sorry to hear this!!

Will you be alright for the next couple of days? I remember when we were there just after the earthquake and so many neighbors were out helping each other and it was like a huge community taking care of each other. I hope you were able to replenish enough to help! My prayers are out there for you! Erewhon please be safe and your in our prayers this evening!

It is going on 8pm here in San Diego and it is 4pm there!  We helped a farmer when we were there with carrying some baby sheep from a gully that they were trapped! I remember that!

Denise😊

• Like 11

Late as always. But hope everyone had a great weekend. 
Our “excitement “ was purchasing  a new clothes dryer at Lowe’s to be delivered on June 10th.  I had a minor meltdown yesterday when my dryer quit!  Family is coming on June 23rd for a memorial for DH folks at our home!  Family. will be with us for about  a week. Not a good situation to not have a clothes dryer for 12 people and 4 grandkids with visits to the beach !  I do have a clothesline but weather isn’t always the best to hang clothes our on the Oregon coast!

Probably  TMI for everyone!    Stay well and safe.  I will go,back now and read what happened here today!🤗

• Like 14

1 minute ago, highland cruiser said:

Our “excitement “ was purchasing  a new clothes dryer at Lowe’s to be delivered on June 10th.  I had a minor meltdown yesterday when my dryer quit!  Family is coming on June 23rd for a memorial for DH folks at our home!  Family. will be with us for about  a week. Not a good situation to not have a clothes dryer for 12 people and 4 grandkids with visits to the beach !  I do have a clothesline but weather isn’t always the best to hang clothes our on the Oregon coast!

Probably  TMI for everyone!    Stay well and safe.  I will go,back now and read what happened here today!🤗

Not TMI!!! I sure can  understand that!! We have a washer and dryer we ordered at Home Depot last week and it won’t be delivered till 7/1!! Luckily our appliances 

still work. So glad your getting your dryer 👍👍 we have friends down along the fold coast of Oregon. Have a great week!

Denise😊

• Like 8

Just now, DeeniEncinitas said:

Not TMI!!! I sure can  understand that!! We have a washer and dryer we ordered at Home Depot last week and it won’t be delivered till 7/1!! Luckily our appliances 

still work. So glad your getting your dryer 👍👍 we have friends down along the fold coast of Oregon. Have a great week!

Denise😊

Thank you! Where are your friend on the Oregon coast? Our home is south of Newport I a small town called Waldport. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Dismomx5 said:

Just popping in to say that I hope those in the US had a good Memorial Day.

Thanks; it was a beautiful day. A gentleman from the neighborhood climbed the stairs of the Grays Harbor Lighthouse and played Taps at 3:00PM. The weather on the Washington State coast has been beautiful all weekend (very unusual for Memorial Day in the Pacific Northwest). 

Here is a picture of sunset off our balcony tonight (9:02PM).

1335163680_sunsetmemorialday2021.thumb.JPG.a4482fd740cc01a25f2d070d720968d8.JPG

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, highland cruiser said:

Oh no! Sorry to hear that. 
It sounds like the Daily’s Appliance Gremlin has raised his ugly little head again.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, highland cruiser said:

Yikes on the appliance curse. On the bright side, the old one died before your company arrived and not during and you’ll have a new one in time 😉 

Never TMI. 😉 

• Like 7

7 hours ago, erewhon said:

Take care everyone.

Oh no on your bridge and road being closed.  I hope they can repair it quickly and you will not have to go without 😱 

• Like 6

9 hours ago, erewhon said:

Take care everyone.

I am so sorry to hear this. Hope everyone affected will find a workaround quickly. Are you close to a port or airport that is on your side of “the bridge”?

Praying all will be ok soon.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

I am so sorry to hear this. Hope everyone affected will find a workaround quickly. Are you close to a port or airport that is on your side of “the bridge”?

Praying all will be ok soon.

@erewhonis in Dunedin.  They are close to Port Chalmers, quite a major port, and Dunedin itself is a port for smaller ships.  There is also an airport.  I have visited with them twice on port calls to Port Chalmers.

Roy

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

@erewhonis in Dunedin.  They are close to Port Chalmers, quite a major port, and Dunedin itself is a port for smaller ships.  There is also an airport.  I have visited with them twice on port calls to Port Chalmers.

Roy

Thank you, Roy!  Now let’s hope the bridge is not between him and the port/airport.  Clever entrepreneurs can set up a shop in a port or at an airport - with the right permission. 

Hope erewhon doesn’t not go through major upheaval. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Thank you, Roy!  Now let’s hope the bridge is not between him and the port/airport.  Clever entrepreneurs can set up a shop in a port or at an airport - with the right permission. 

Hope erewhon doesn’t not go through major upheaval. 

Ashburton, the bridge site, is quite close to Christchurch and far from erewhon.  I would expect spot shortages in the short time although critical supplies could arrive by air, and a few days to send a barge to Dunedin.

Capture.JPG.a1c8110efa797187aa2f5855703a0dea.JPG

Roy

• Like 4