Princess Not Doing Test Cruises

Syracusefan44

I have a feeling that the cruiselines that have a health questionaire to fill out prior to sailing will have the question of are you fully vaccinated, if so please bring your CDC card with you at check in. Im not worried because cruisers want to be safe and majority want to be vaccinated themselves. Due to that alone outbreaks will not likely to take place. This is not March 2020 and the sky wont fall if a few passengers become ill and would likely be quarantined in their cabin like Noro, i would not shed a tear if they are confined to their cabin, they chose not to be protected.

Edited by sugcarol
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Alaska and Washington like the 95% vax rule. Imagine California  / Newsome will too. He's strict.

Sure. However it appears that Princess will not commit to vaccination until they have to. Implying that as soon as it is not required they will drop it.

Not exactly an idle situation if one wants to be sure that the requirement for vaccination for any cruise they book in the next 6 to 12 months or so..

Would be better if Princess would just commit to vaccination for their cruises for the next X months at a minimum so one could be certain about what they were booking.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, nocl said:

Sure. However it appears that Princess will not commit to vaccination until they have to. Implying that as soon as it is not required they will drop it.

Not exactly an idle situation if one wants to be sure that the requirement for vaccination for any cruise they book in the next 6 to 12 months or so..

Would be better if Princess would just commit to vaccination for their cruises for the next X months at a minimum so one could be certain about what they were booking.

THANK YOU!! I always wish Newsome was clearer as 2 of the ports are in our state (LA & SF). Drop color code system, don't drop, install another system, WHATEVER. We're at 0.7% positivity rate, 66% with at least 1 shot, a little clarity here?? 😷😡

Edited by Ombud

8 hours ago, nocl said:

in other words they are requiring vaccination for the Alaska cruises because they have to if they want to get sailing quickly. Once the CDC let's them get away from the vaccine requirement without doing test cruises they will.

I hope CDC will only drop the vaccination requirement when herd immunity is achieved or when covid behaves like a flu.

40 minutes ago, ebeluga said:

I hope CDC will only drop the vaccination requirement when herd immunity is achieved or when covid behaves like a flu.

I agree. 

I would like to see the cruise lines commit for a period of time so we know what to expect if we book a cruise.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, sugcarol said:

Im not worried because cruisers want to be safe and majority want to be vaccinated themselves. Due to that alone outbreaks will not likely to take place.

Remember that a vaccine which is 94% effective means that each individual that had that vaccine is 94% less likely to end up with Covid-19. In other words, each vaccinated person is still 6% likely to end up with it if exposed.

If a large number of unvaccinated individuals are on a cruise, it is likely that one or more will be carrying the virus on board and might end up infecting those in the 6% likely to get the virus when exposed to it. Pre-cruise testing might weed out some, but those who have the virus but not long enough to be detectable will pass that test.

11 hours ago, memoak said:

I still predict that eventually they we require vaccination if only because so many ports have low rates of vaccination and the ports will require vaccinations to dock, much like yellow fever in Brazil and Devils Island

That does make sense. And if people complain, the cruise lines can reply its the fault of the ports; we have to have somewhere we can sail to.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

That does make sense. And if people complain, the cruise lines can reply its the fault of the ports; we have to have somewhere we can sail to.

Eventually, countries will open up and no vaccines will be required to gain entry - especially dirt-poor Caribbean countries.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ChutChut said:

"Likely that one or more will be carrying the virus?" Cite your proof....

15,000 daily new cases of detected Covid-19 among unvaccinated people in the USA.

Put 1000+ unvaccinated people on a cruise ship and there could easy be someone carrying the virus.

1 hour ago, ChutChut said:

Eventually, countries will open up and no vaccines will be required to gain entry - especially dirt-poor Caribbean countries.

Not all Caribbean countries are dirt poor. There are Bermuda  and the Cayman Islands that are not dirt poor.

Actually, I guess Bermuda is not technically a Caribbean country.

5 hours ago, caribill said:

15,000 daily new cases of detected Covid-19 among unvaccinated people in the USA.

Put 1000+ unvaccinated people on a cruise ship and there could easy be someone carrying the virus.

One can spin it how one wants to.  Diamond had only 20% infected.. with no vaccine and minimal controls.  Now add in vaccinations and other controls... I'm cruising as long as ports are mostly open.  

I don't get all this attention to the vaccine on the ship.  If one is concerned about getting it from others, wouldn't the port be the bigger issue?  

4 hours ago, Redwing55 said:

One can spin it how one wants to.  Diamond had only 20% infected.. with no vaccine and minimal controls.  Now add in vaccinations and other controls... I'm cruising as long as ports are mostly open.  

I don't get all this attention to the vaccine on the ship.  If one is concerned about getting it from others, wouldn't the port be the bigger issue?  

Only 20%? All things aside, my risk factor is currently at less than 0.05%. As previously stated: 

7 hours ago, nocl said:

in a 95% vaccinated ship the numbers would be more around 1 out of 6 to 7000 based upon vaccines reduction in asymptomatic cases. If you added full testing to vaccination it would drop to about 1 in 35,000 based upon current infection levels

Now I realize both Florida & Texas are attempting to stop vaccinated cruises but Princess is only cruising from LA, SF, and Seattle so my next cruise is not affected. I have time to decide if I want to cruise from FL in December 

43 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Only 20%? All things aside, my risk factor is currently at less than 0.05%. As previously stated: 

Now I realize both Florida & Texas are attempting to stop vaccinated cruises but Princess is only cruising from LA, SF, and Seattle so my next cruise is not affected. I have time to decide if I want to cruise from FL in December 

Well another cruise line has made vaccine cards optional but if you don’t voluntarily show it when you embark you will be deemed unvaccinated and be required to pay for the COVID19 testing.  Have read that the cruise line will charge each unvaccinated $250 per test.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Syracusefan44 said:

Well another cruise line has made vaccine cards optional but if you don’t voluntarily show it when you embark you will be deemed unvaccinated and be required to pay for the COVID19 testing.  Have read that the cruise line will charge each unvaccinated $250 per test.

That and once 5% unvaccinated have boarded then if you don't volunteer your vaccine information you won't be able to board so they can meet the 95% threshold.

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

The problem is that so far Princess has only committed to 95% vaccination for the Alaska cruises.

On 6/3/2021 at 3:01 PM, kiwimum said:

For Princess there will be unvaccinated individuals on board.  Children under 12,

medical and religious reasons.  

The PCL rep said they will have a 5% buffer of non-vacc'd pax to allow for children under 12 and those with specific approved exemptions, as kiwimum posted.

BTW  Cruise passengers test positive for Covid-19 in Italy (msn.com)

On 6/9/2021 at 2:25 PM, PRNole47 said:

The PCL rep said they will have a 5% buffer of non-vacc'd pax to allow for children under 12 and those with specific approved exemptions, as kiwimum posted.

BTW  Cruise passengers test positive for Covid-19 in Italy (msn.com)

Thanks for the article. No hysteria there, just follow the protocols and continue the cruise.