The Daily for Sunday Jun 06, 2021

richwmn

Today is D-Day - WWII, Drive-In Movie Day,and National Gardening Exercise Day

Life will always be to a large extent what we ourselves make it. - Samuel Smiles

Meal suggestion for today - Asparagus Crostini

Drink of the Day - Ramos Fizz (New Orleans Fizz)

Wine of the day - Emiliana Coyarn - Chile - Red

Port of the Day - Komodo Island Indonesia

At Sea Caribbean
Nieuw Statendam Destination Port Everglades eta 06/7

At Sea Pacific
Nieuw Amsterdam Drifting off California
Noordam Destination Los Angeles

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

La Paz MX
Koningsdam Anchorage
Westerdam Anchorage
Zuiderdam Anchorage

Limassol CY
Eurodam

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Anchorage

Venice IT
Rotterdam

0606USA.thumb.png.6e8dc62996bce4fc510ffb10e6e8a163.png

0606Europe.thumb.png.84475baef76a3ac7407ca7d32d470c82.png

• Like 37
  • Thanks 3

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

D Day, a day to remember.  And I will be out in my garden today.  No drive in movie for us today, but it brings back lots of memories.😉

Love the quote.

I love asparagus so I will be looking forward to seeing the recipe.  Fresh grown local asparagus is available at the farm market just north of us.🙂

Another port I have not visited.  Thanks in advance for all the great pictures I'm sure will be posted.

Sending prayers for everyone.

Have a wonderful Sunday.  Stay safe.

• Like 24

Good Morning. Thanks for the Daily. It wou;d be good to take some time today to remember D-Day and all those who sacrificed to protect Democracies against the rule of dictators. Drive-In's are mostly a memory. I love asparagus the crostini would be a great side with almost anything.

Edited by jimgev
  • Like 23

Thank you for the Sunday Daily and especially D-Day Daily, Rich.  I'm not a gardener but it is great exercise.  I used to love Drive-ins.  The Smiles quote is superb.  I've never been to Komodo Island and look forward to photos.  I'll pass on the Asparagus.  My alternative is Iced Melon Bisque, Orange and Radiccio Salad, and Chicken Kiev as served on MS Prinsendam D-Day, 2015.

Care list:

Kakalina facint more aggressive than thought cancer

Welfare of furloughed crews

RIP StLouisCruisers’s DS

StLouisCruisers’s DB strugling to authorize heart catherization

RIP St. Louis Cruisers’ niece’s twin grandchildren

bennybear’s SIL diagnosed with aggressive cancer awaiting surgery

StLouisSal’s weakness and fall injuries

Garlictown difficutl recovery from arm surgery

Tana with long term covid

The souls of the 215+ indigenous children found at Kamloops Indian Residential School.

RIP Ron, NextOne DH

RIP ger_77's favorite uncle

Bear at large in Ormond Beach

Ancientwanderer’s dizzies

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

The friendlist place on Cruise Critic

Congrats Essential Quality

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Jabs for HAL crew at Los Angeles, San Diego and Fort Lauderdale

Second jabs for superoma DH (done) and superoma (Tuesday)

StLouisCruiser’s DGS soccer team

Cherished memories of Ger_77's uncle

Celebrating the life of Ron, NextOne DH

Thank you Kazu for covering my illness

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
Belmont
  • Like 38
  • Thanks 5

Good Sunday morning.  3 great days today.  My first date with DH was at a drive in.  And National Gardening day is super for our dailyites.  The quote is great, we do make our lives what they are.  Meal sounds good, look forward to Debbies description.

Have not been to today's port, looking forward to the photos.

Prayers, virtual hugs, and toasts to our lists. (welcome back Roy)

Please continue to stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.  Poor Jon Rahm.

Ramos Fizz (New Orleans Fizz)

Ingredients

• 2 ounces gin
  • 3/4 ounce simple syrup
  • 1/2 ounce heavy cream
  • 1/2 ounce lemon juice, freshly squeezed
  • 1/2 ounce lime juice, freshly squeezed
  • 3 dashes orange flower water
  • 1 fresh egg white
  • Club soda, to top

Steps
Add the gin, simple syrup, heavy cream, lemon and lime juices, orange flower water and egg white into a shaker and dry-shake (without ice) vigorously for about 10 seconds.
Add ice and shake for at least 15 seconds, until well-chilled.
Strain into a Collins glass.
Pour a little bit of club soda back and forth between the empty halves of the shaker tins to pick up any residual cream and egg white, then use that to top the drink.

Screen Shot 2021-06-06 at 6.54.05 AM.png

• Like 27
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile.

and thanks @rafinmdfor both lists 🙂 

D-Day is a day we should never forget.  So much sacrifice by so many for us all ♥️.  Drive In’s used to be so much fun when we were young.  One went back into business a few miles away from here with the pandemic.

I’ll happily (or achingly) celebrate National Gardening Exercise Day.  I’ve been celebrating all week, it seems 😉 

175C2DDB-440E-4617-831F-E48A2183FB1A.jpeg.4baf28d212f4a50b31976087acffa18e.jpeg

I just have two trays left of seedlings to transplant (a ton of chilies 😉 ) from my original 20+ and one box of perennials that I caved and bought on sale.  Hopefully I can figure out the right place for them all and watch my spacing 😉 

CE891F91-B381-4311-AAEE-41F3BA4CF1B2.thumb.jpeg.9046575ba2158577ff8aaad75599fc52.jpeg

That Smile quote is truly excellent.  The meal suggestion is a definite yum for me.  Going to my little country market today so I’ll definitely get some asparagus.

@summer slopeI felt for Jon Rahm too.  What a shame testing positive and having to withdraw again 😔 

It‘s the Queen’s Birthday weekend where @erewhonlives.  I hope they enjoy the long weekend.

FE8C5C31-0EE5-4FA4-89FA-6409C7833063.jpeg.2d662a78e04b2554c0116acb51992721.jpeg

Today’s port is one I would really like to get to.  I envy those who have had the privilege to be there.

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Sunday everyone!

BC65013C-C42B-42B0-8AE2-7257DE511FD1.jpeg.ed054ce11ed1301b6dfdc9976b823ae9.jpeg

Stay safe and don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 40
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Happy Sunday to all.  Bless those who left the relative safety of their ships to storm the beaches In Normandy so many years ago.  We had a moving visit there several years ago.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all.  We're up early today because DH wanted to cut up some brush he's been clearing and dispose of it.  He does it and I take the supervisory position since I am extremely allergic to poison ivy.  So that takes care of National Gardening Day.  Drive-In Movie Day reminds me of the 60's.  We went to the drive-in several times a month.  We had three or four to choose from where I lived.  As for D-Day, that is the most important day to remember today.  I always wanted to go to Normandy on a cruise.  That's still on the bucket list.

I have not been to Komodo Island yet so please do post some photos and stories of your visit there if you were one of the lucky ones to visit it.  

@rafinmdit's good to see you back at the helm of both the care list and celebrations list again.   We're so glad you recovered so quickly from your surgery.  Prayers for all on the very long care list and congrats to all on the celebrations list.  

• Like 31

Good morning Rich and all DAILYITES.  I was two and one half months short of my 4th birthday at "D=Day. I was aware of the fact there was a war on.  Thank you for the fleet report.  Glad to see the Nieuw Statendam will be in Ft. Lauderdale tomorrow. Tomorrow will be the 35th Anniversary of my ordination to the priesthood.     I was ordained at the tender age of 46.  Have a great day everyone.                                           

• Like 26

36 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Sunday Daily and especially D-Day Daily, Rich.  I'm not a gardener but it is great exercise.  I used to love Drive-ins.  The Smiles quote is superb.  I've never been to Komodo Island and look forward to photos.  I'll pass on the Asparagus.  My alternative is Iced Melon Bisque, Orange and Radiccio Salad, and Chicken Kiev as served on MS Prinsendam D-Day, 2015.

Care list:

Kakalina facint more aggressive than thought cancer

Welfare of furloughed crews

RIP StLouisCruisers’s DS

StLouisCruisers’s DB strugling to authorize heart catherization

RIP St. Louis Cruisers’ niece’s twin grandchildren

bennybear’s SIL diagnosed with aggressive cancer awaiting surgery

StLouisSal’s weakness and fall injuries

Garlictown difficutl recovery from arm surgery

Tana with long term covid

The souls of the 215+ indigenous children found at Kamloops Indian Residential School.

RIP Ron, NextOne DH

RIP ger_77's favorite uncle

Bear at large in Ormond Beach

Ancientwanderer’s dizzies

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

The friendlist place on Cruise Critic

Congrats Essential Quality

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Jabs for HAL crew at Los Angeles, San Diego and Fort Lauderdale

Second jabs for superoma DH (done) and superoma (Tuesday)

StLouisCruiser’s DGS soccer team

Cherished memories of Ger_77's uncle

Celebrating the life of Ron, NextOne DH

Thank you Kazu for covering my illness

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Roy, Thanks for both lists.   You are a very thoughtful man.  

• Like 11

Good morning, everyone.

D-Day is an important date in our history and should be acknowledged by all.   I thought a drive in movie had re-opened near me during the pandemic.   That would have been a great solution to going to the movies and maintaining social distancing.  It has been decades since I've been there.  It is going to be a bit too hot for gardening here.  I'll go water the fleurs this morning and this evening so that they are refreshed.  

Today's meal is a great appetizer.  I'm going to give you two versions.  The first is the quick and easy version:   https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/asparagus-crostini-recipe-2104740

1963788440_AsparagusCrostini.jpeg.ffff6a20664fdceb6c020e8dceb8c088.jpeg

And the second is from Bobby Flay.  If you're trying to impress guests, I'd go with Bobby.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/crostini-with-grilled-asparagus-and-green-peppercorn-tarragon-vinaigrette-2459383

1149321082_AsparagusCrostiniBobbyFlay.jpeg.3b701b84a246bb46b12ed36e60144d30.jpeg

• Like 35
  • Thanks 2

Top of the morning Rich. Thank you for our Daily. Welcome back to full time Roy. Thanks to Kazu for helping Roy out. Hoping you still keep the Daily Gardening. Love to my sweet sisters. Sandi you are held close to my heart.

Love asparagus. Like crostini with ricotta and a dab of pesto. Yum!

I loved Drive ins. There was an area the kids could play in up front before the movie started and we were given lemonade. 

image.png.25349aa812dae5163f2a1a9134186ec2.png

image.png.b9b80218ea88e3b06076152b680f1ba8.png

We have been to Normandy twice. We took the Battlebus tour one year from 6 am and dropped us off at 7 pm. I couldn't believe the day went so fast.

Yesterday I was invited to attend a cemetery tour honoring preservation in Georgetown.  There were 11 spots in the cemetery with a reenactment volunteer standing near "their" headstone. There was the 1st fire chief, 1st police chief,  Suffragette, and Emma Makemson who witnessed the Sam Bass shootout. A very interesting evening. Just wish the fire ants and mosquitoes had not been in attendance!

image.png.d1152ebdfc5566cf16e95ebcbc0a1747.png

Everyone stay safe and sound. Our covid numbers spiked a bit last week. It's still not over! Blessings, prayers, cheers.

• Like 30
  • Haha 1

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! I will honor and salute all the Allied heroes from D-Day. Without them our world would be so different. 
Not sure if there are any Drive-ins near me. I salute the members of the Gardeners Club, it is their exercise day. 😉

Thank you Roy for our lists. Thank you Jacqui for taking that burden from Roy during his recovery. Morning Dailyite family. Yes, you read that correctly. I have officially adopted you all. Please do not run away from home. 

Quote is true, but children need to be given guidance to help them make the best life for themselves as adults. Asparagus is my favorite veggie, so I might be able to make this a meal, if it didn’t have so many carbs. But Debbie, you are correct this will be a great appetizer. Pass on the drink that has gin. 

Another lovely day here. Another encounter with the mini dog gang at the end of my street. This time I was forewarned by their attack on the bicyclist that just happened to be at the end of their driveway when their human let them out. But I guess this is better than an encounter with our bear.  Off to the gym, the. Aldi. Zoom call tonight with my nephew and niece to go over my draft trust. Need their help with some wording. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

This red blend from biodynamic grapes is not that easy to find for sale online. I found one distributor for the 2016 vintage offering a bottle for $42.35. All vintages have excellent ratings, but the 2017 shows the best ratings on wine-searcher.com. Sadly my sources’s page on the 2017 vintage was not working. (They need a five year old). Oddly, there were only International distributors for the 2017 vintage. So pick up the one you can find for the best price. And enjoy. 

Winemaker Notes

Intense violet-red. Aromas of ripe red and black fruits integrated with notes of spice, earth and a hint of vanilla. Beautifully balanced and full on the palate. Good structure with soft, round tannins. Elegant expressions of fruit delicately interwoven with oak, mineral, and toffee.

Serve with roasted red meats, strong cheeses and pasta with spicy sauces. Also marries well with dried fruits.

41% Syrah, 29% Carmenere, 20% Merlot, 7% Cabernet Sauvignon, 2% Mourvedre, 1% Petit Verdot

JS94 James Suckling: A red that shows lots of complexity on the nose with fresh herbs, dark plums, walnuts, cedar, earth, black pepper and spices. The palate is taut and dialed-in, framing undergrowth and brambleberries within fine-grained tannins, against a sheen of animated acidity. From biodynamically grown grapes. 
WS90 Wine Spectator: Well-knit flavors of dried red fruit, berry and spice show lively minerality. Forest floor notes on the finish feature a creamy texture, with chocolate tart hints. Drink now through 2022.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! I will honor and salute all the Allied heroes from D-Day. Without them our world would be so different. 
Not sure if there are any Drive-ins near me. I salute the members of the Gardeners Club, it is their exercise day. 😉

Thank you Roy for our lists. Thank you Jacqui for taking that burden from Roy during his recovery. Morning Dailyite family. Yes, you read that correctly. I have officially adopted you all. Please do not run away from home. 

Quote is true, but children need to be given guidance to help them make the best life for themselves as adults. Asparagus is my favorite veggie, so I might be able to make this a meal, if it didn’t have so many carbs. But Debbie, you are correct this will be a great appetizer. Pass on the drink that has gin. 

Another lovely day here. Another encounter with the mini dog gang at the end of my street. This time I was forewarned by their attack on the bicyclist that just happened to be at the end of their driveway when their human let them out. But I guess this is better than an encounter with our bear.  Off to the gym, the. Aldi. Zoom call tonight with my nephew and niece to go over my draft trust. Need their help with some wording. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

This red blend from biodynamic grapes is not that easy to find for sale online. I found one distributor for the 2016 vintage offering a bottle for $42.35. All vintages have excellent ratings, but the 2017 shows the best ratings on wine-searcher.com. Sadly my sources’s page on the 2017 vintage was not working. (They need a five year old). Oddly, there were only International distributors for the 2017 vintage. So pick up the one you can find for the best price. And enjoy. 

Winemaker Notes

Intense violet-red. Aromas of ripe red and black fruits integrated with notes of spice, earth and a hint of vanilla. Beautifully balanced and full on the palate. Good structure with soft, round tannins. Elegant expressions of fruit delicately interwoven with oak, mineral, and toffee.

Serve with roasted red meats, strong cheeses and pasta with spicy sauces. Also marries well with dried fruits.

41% Syrah, 29% Carmenere, 20% Merlot, 7% Cabernet Sauvignon, 2% Mourvedre, 1% Petit Verdot

JS94 James Suckling: A red that shows lots of complexity on the nose with fresh herbs, dark plums, walnuts, cedar, earth, black pepper and spices. The palate is taut and dialed-in, framing undergrowth and brambleberries within fine-grained tannins, against a sheen of animated acidity. From biodynamically grown grapes. 
WS90 Wine Spectator: Well-knit flavors of dried red fruit, berry and spice show lively minerality. Forest floor notes on the finish feature a creamy texture, with chocolate tart hints. Drink now through 2022.

How does one pick up the taste of 1% petit verdot?? Ann can I ask a favor? Would you add the name of the wine when you write your review. I'm too lazy to go back to Rich's posts to find it.. you know me, I'm the lazy middle sister..

• Like 15
  • Haha 4

27 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Hoping you still keep the Daily Gardening.

I will if I can think of enough tips.  If anyone has any specific tips they want addressed / different topics, I’d be happy to post.  I think today’s tip was making sure you leave enough space in your planters for plants (or puppies ) to grow 😉 😄 

• Like 17
  • Haha 5

Good morning everyone. It’s important to remember DDay and all those who sacrificed their lives so we could escape the rule of an awful dictator.

I’ve been to a drive in movie only once, although I passed by one near the Whitestone Bridge everyday on my way to work when I was working for the NYC Board of Education.

It was very hot yesterday, but we visited with 3 other couples in a gazebo in our community. So nice to visit with friends.

Stay safe everyone.

Carol

• Like 21

Good  morning  from  a  steamy  NY. I  walked  the  dog  very  early  and  it  was  almost  80 then  with  what  felt  like  equal  humidity. DD  and  I  already  decided  today  was  good  for  take  out  dining  in  the  AC. I  would  love  the  asparagus,especially  with  the  pesto  but  I  doubt  my  other  three  diners would  like  it.

My mom's  3  brothers  were  all  in  different  branches  of  the  service  during  WWll. I  can  vividly  remember  my  grandmother  telling  the  story of  finding  out  after  the  fact  that  all  3  of  them  were  involved  in  D Day  in  some  way. The  uncles did  not  talk  about  their  experiences,at  least  to  us.  

My  DB's  and  I  tried  to  keep  our  attendance at  the  Drive-In  a  secret  from  our  father. Unfortunately,  a  neighbor  spotted  oldest  DB  and  girlfriend and  felt  the  need  to  tell  Dad. Most  neighborhoods  were  like  that  then. A  person  could  get  away  with  very  little!

@rafinmd, thank  you  for  keeping  our  Tana  on  the  care  list. She  is  feeling  poorly  the  last  few  days  but  we  hope  a  different  medication  will  have  less  side  effects. DD  and  I  have  kept  up  our  catering  service and  have  tried  to  entice  her  with  things  we  know  she  loves. I  am  glad  to  see  you  back  at  your  "job"  and  thank @kazu,  for  her  careful  compilations.

@cat shepard, I  would  love  to  be  adopted  in  my  old  age  and  I  won't  run  away  from  home!Thanks!

I  am  fascinated  by  Komodo  Island  and  would  love  to  see  pictures  and  descriptions  of  going  there.

• Like 28
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, kazu said:

I will if I can think of enough tips.  If anyone has any specific tips they want addressed / different topics, I’d be happy to post.  I think today’s tip was making sure you leave enough space in your planters for plants (or puppies ) to grow 😉 😄 

Do you know much about indoor plants?

I have little black dots on my indoor hibiscus, I think they may be aphids brought in from being out last summer.  I put them out yesterday and will bring them in before frost.  I've sprayed the plants with a soap and water solution, (maybe not often enough) but the bugs keep coming back.

Any thoughts?  Thanks in advance.

• Like 16

55 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Top of the morning Rich. Thank you for our Daily. Welcome back to full time Roy. Thanks to Kazu for helping Roy out. Hoping you still keep the Daily Gardening. Love to my sweet sisters. Sandi you are held close to my heart.

Love asparagus. Like crostini with ricotta and a dab of pesto. Yum!

I loved Drive ins. There was an area the kids could play in up front before the movie started and we were given lemonade. 

image.png.25349aa812dae5163f2a1a9134186ec2.png

image.png.b9b80218ea88e3b06076152b680f1ba8.png

We have been to Normandy twice. We took the Battlebus tour one year from 6 am and dropped us off at 7 pm. I couldn't believe the day went so fast.

Yesterday I was invited to attend a cemetery tour honoring preservation in Georgetown.  There were 11 spots in the cemetery with a reenactment volunteer standing near "their" headstone. There was the 1st fire chief, 1st police chief,  Suffragette, and Emma Makemson who witnessed the Sam Bass shootout. A very interesting evening. Just wish the fire ants and mosquitoes had not been in attendance!

image.png.d1152ebdfc5566cf16e95ebcbc0a1747.png

Everyone stay safe and sound. Our covid numbers spiked a bit last week. It's still not over! Blessings, prayers, cheers.

❤️❤️❤️

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, Mtn2Sea said:

Our one visit to Komodo Island was two years ago while on the Amsterdam.  It was definitely a hot, but interesting day.

989D5F4B-A6E2-49C6-B916-56A23308C879.thumb.jpeg.77f504f1cbdf6dc021042a8c73c2930e.jpeg

26B25399-5D44-4588-968F-A3C7EDF70745.thumb.jpeg.abb6a39c6b901c4480e084921fa3b16b.jpeg

58458CDB-6AFA-49ED-9877-2C5C4C00A371.thumb.jpeg.a402380a1ffe6662d21fcf05985fc7d5.jpeg

3DF90C48-5B2E-49B5-A033-904B6F6C7EF8.thumb.jpeg.f63ed168a1bb5c24ec4a942459658571.jpeg

A64A95AD-9737-47B3-AE8C-0BE493855624.thumb.jpeg.8ad80881a3f644e95633e056e0f799b0.jpeg

Wow, thanks for the photos!  Intriguing creatures aren't they?  Even though I hate hot climates I still would like to go there to see Komodo Island.  

• Like 14

I have been to Normandy twice, once from a cruise stop in Aug 2017 where we took a private tour to see locations where Canadians were engaged in the landing.  The second time was my bucket list trip in Oct 2018.  11 days touring France, Belgium and the Netherlands on a Canadian WW1 & WW2 Canadian Battlefields Tour.  ( I have approx. 1000 pics from that tour but don't worry I'm not going to post them...haha)

image.png.482ffb186ad18a32e1e6414490f4c42c.png

D-Day: What happened during the landings of 1944? - BBC News

• Like 27
  • Thanks 6

Good Morning Everyone from a sunny and warm day at the beach.

D Day is a day we should never forget. My Dad and 2 of my uncles were there although they never spoke of it to us. My Dad was insistent that we all learn to swim at an early age.  He taught my siblings, cousins  and every kid in the neighborhood. It was the only thing he ever said about that day, was so many drowned because they could not swim and the weight of the equipment.  

Have not been to a drive-in in many years. Love asparagus in any form. Having it for dinner today.

Komodo Island is on our booked trip for 2022. Really hope it goes! Looking forward to pictures.

Continued thoughts and prayers for everyone. Always grateful for this thread. 

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 26