Royal Caribbean Blinks. Won't require proof of covid vaccination.

1 hour ago, Junonia said:

State's governments are entitled to operate as they wish, via the legislature and the consent of the governed. If you offer a service to some people, it should  be made available to all. We did away   with "No xyz types allowed in our establishment" long ago because of the ugliness of discrimination.

Except if you want a bakery to make a wedding cake for a gay couple...then you can discriminate all you want according to some people.

As others have said, Federal law trumps State law.  Additionally, in case you're not aware, the world has been in the midst of a pandemic for over a year now.  Public health concerns can override normal operating procedures for any business.  It's reality.  I remember travelling alot during the ebola crisis.  Lots of questions to passengers at airports asking about where you have been travelling and if you have such and such symptoms.  Public health concerns dictated that was appropriate to do.  Same as today with adjusted rules due to the pandemic.

Feel free to join any RCCL cruise you want.  You wouldn't catch me on any of their ships.  

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Old & Retired said:

RC no longer requires you show your covid shot proof in Florida and Texas.  Will NCL be next?  I can see it happening very soon.  That sound you hear is FREEDOM!

That sound I hear is prolonging a pandemic. I sure won't sail with RCl until vaccination is required by all passengers over age 12. 

Did your kids/grandkids have to get their vaccinations to start kindergarten? 

Edited by cruzsnooze
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, HarpHarp said:

Old pharmacology lab rat here. The tests have a rather large error % as far as I'm concerned. If they give people a testing option, what happens if you test positive before boarding?  I'd much rather have to show proof of vaccination than take the chance on being denied boarding at the dock.

Amen!!!!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RaftingJeremy said:

I mean I wouldn’t say they blinked.  They had already said they would do test cruises which means they were planning on not everyone being vaccinated.  So if they were going to do that anyway why not make that the policy?

Just make masks the policy throughout the fleet taking different countries out of the equation and if people don't want to cruise then they don't cruise simple as that.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, HarpHarp said:

Here's what's going to happen. The vaccines will have full FDA approval soon. At that point, the Feds can require immunization to enter the country, or testing & quarantine.  The cruise lines, all of them, will not let you board if you don't have the proper clearnce to return.  
You don't have to get the vaccine, but you probably aren't going to be leaving the U.S.

That would be nice. But now we go back to the false documents argument. LOL My issue is not cruising with covid catchers, it is having to take precautions simply because the cruise line can not ask if I have been vaccinated. So I am going to have to wear a mask and fight for a seat at the socially distanced venues all because of the antivaxers. It stinks. But if I have to cruise from another port to sail footloose and fancy free that is what I will do.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

My MSC unvaccinated cruise will have all the restriction, masks everywhere even walking on the sundeck. No dancing, no going to the bar, where is the freedom in that?
I hope NCL stay firm, I am looking forward to a vaccinated cruise with zero restrictions, that is what I call freedom!

But without masks a new pandemic could be created on a cruise ship but only on a cruise ship if a person has a variant that can evade vaccines and is like the Indian variant 40% more transmissible than the current variants. That will create a new pandemic worldwide once passengers with no symptoms or crew with no symptoms got off the ship in New York or Barcelona or whatever and return home or mingle with the unmasked population.

Edited by ace2542

3 minutes ago, CaptainWoody said:

Gee, what a great idea!!!!  🤣

As maybe but making it fleetwide does take different countries and different government bodies of out the equation. You can't argue with the logic of that statement. Why be at the mercy of different countries just take them out of the equation. Set the toughest policy and be done with it.

Edited by ace2542

Just now, bbnmom said:

So I am going to have to wear a mask and fight for a seat at the socially distanced venues all because of the antivaxers. It stinks. But if I have to cruise from another port to sail footloose and fancy free that is what I will do.

Hear! Hear!!  I'm sailing out of Seattle in October, and there's nothing FLA can do to stop me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, bbnmom said:

So I am going to have to wear a mask and fight for a seat at the socially distanced venues all because of the antivaxers. It stinks. But if I have to cruise from another port to sail footloose and fancy free that is what I will do

That is unlikely to happen. NCL will likely introduce requirements country wide or fleet wide not on a state by state basis. Besides what happens if a ship leaves one state and sails into another state with different requirements?

Well…this has been eye-opening.  Trying to research any upcoming cruises I may want to book.  Stumbled in here, thinking I’d see more details about mask wearing vs being vaccinated..

First, how can anyone make a connection between discrimination based on someone’s race, color, sexual orientation or creed (which the U.S. Constitution covers) to taking a cruise (which ANYONE CAN DO)?

That’s just silliness.

If you want to cruise, you can.  If you don’t want to get vaccinated against COVID, you can cruise.  You may have to keep your mask on, or you may have to sail on ships/lines that aren’t your first choice.  Don’t know why you’d want to do any of that, but you can!

I hear Royal may have areas separated by “vaccinated” and “not vaccinated” so they can put more folks on their initial sailings, which I personally would never want.  But, you can cruise.

If you’re checking in, and filling out the health questionnaire, and say you have intestinal or congestive issues, you aren’t allowed on.  Moreover, none of us would want to cruise with anyone who could cause an outbreak of Noro. Why is it this ONE COVID health question causing such a row?  It shouldn’t be.

Don’t make this about the constitution or somehow about Freedom.  Neither is in play here….not even remotely.

So, back to my reason for checking here, I’ll wait until Royal gets their act together, maybe in another year.  Right now, they aren’t consistently following even their own public advice….they’re flip-flopping.

In the mean time, regardless of your reason for not getting the COVID vaccination, do yourself a favor and quit tying yourself in knots over this.  You’ll get to sail eventually.  But, if you want to sail now, you can.  Just bring plenty of masks and do not get close to anyone on board.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

But without masks a new pandemic could be created on a cruise ship but only on a cruise ship if a person has a variant that can evade vaccines and is like the Indian variant 40% more transmissible than the current variants. That will create a new pandemic worldwide once passengers with no symptoms or crew with no symptoms got off the ship in New York or Barcelona or whatever and return home or mingle with the unmasked population.

So your solution is what?

You are saying that mask wearing and social distancing can NEVER end? even a 100% vaccinated ship is still not safe enough for you?

What would it take to make you take your mask off? Zero cases worldwide? That's likely 😂

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CaptainWoody said:

Hear! Hear!!  I'm sailing out of Seattle in October, and there's nothing FLA can do to stop me.

But California, Oregon, Hawaii and Canada can. As asked above what happens once ships cross into states with different mask social distancing et all mandates?

4 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

That is unlikely to happen. NCL will likely introduce requirements country wide or fleet wide not on a state by state basis. Besides what happens if a ship leaves one state and sails into another state with different requirements?

The only requirement being discussed is vaccine verification. As far as I know FL is the only one so far opposed to 100% vaccinated ship population. Although I could be wrong. I am not too inclined to worry about it until the end of september when I have to pay up.

9 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

But California, Oregon, Hawaii and Canada can. As asked above what happens once ships cross into states with different mask social distancing et all mandates?

Geography is not your strong point is it? He's sailing (as am I) from Seattle to Alaska, how the heck will those states have an impact...... and Hawaii? 😂
SPOILER: Canada is not a US sate yet 😂

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, ziggyuk said:

So your solution is what?

You are saying that mask wearing and social distancing can NEVER end? even a 100% vaccinated ship is still not safe enough for you?

What would it take to make you take your mask off? Zero cases worldwide? That's likely 😂

No I am saying let the lines end it not the governments. 100% vaccinated ships will never happen. And you do know we will wear masks forever in UK in shops and on public transport and other places FOREVER because the R number will always be above 1. If it is above 1 in life what is on a cruise ship?

1 hour ago, CI66774 said:

Sorry but this is a bigger issue of medical privacy. IMHO, you have no right to know whether I’m HIV-positive, whether I’ve had the flu shot, or whether I’ve had a COVID shot if I’m buying a good or receiving a service from you. You can take precautions. You may test me to see if I’m sick with it or make me wear a mask, etc., but you’re not entitled to exclude me from your PUBLIC ACCOMMODATION if I decline to be vaccinated.

your HIV positive status isn’t anywhere near as protected as you realize.  Where I live, having sex when you are HIV positive and not tell your partner is sexual assault. You can go to prison for it. And you better believe it will be posted on the news for all to see.

this whole issue is ridiculous. Yellow fever has always been a required vaccinations for some travel. It just didn’t get a lot of attention because people who booked those trips knew it and didn’t care. When I was a kid, standard CDC vaccinations were required to attend public school and no one cared. Covid vaccine will become standard for international travel, but suddenly ‘you don’t have the right to know’. Get over it. If you have ever really traveled internationally (aka, needed a visa) you know that you are on their rules and if something is required, you will do it. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

Geography is not your strong point is it? He's sailing (as am I) from Seattle to Alaska, how the heck will those states have an impact...... and Hawaii? 😂
SPOILER: Canada is not a US sate yet 😂

I didn't know where he was sailing? Could have been going south? And I thought Alaska sailings where cancelled?

Just now, sanger727 said:

Where I live, having sex when you are HIV positive and not tell your partner is sexual assault. You can go to prison for it. And you better believe it will be posted on the news for all to see

It is actually attempted murder and even murder when death occurs in some states isn't it?

18 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

I didn't realize that my Alaska cruise stopped in California, Oregon, Hawaii and Canada.  I know they've been changing itineraries a lot, but this seems over the line! 🤣

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ace2542 said:

I didn't know where he was sailing? Could have been going south? And I thought Alaska sailings where cancelled?

He literally told you in the post you quoted, you should probably read it.

image.png.ec1b800ace2385f25bc776281d0e8aa2.png

• Haha 1

Just now, CaptainWoody said:

I didn't realize that my Alaska cruise stopped in California, Oregon, Hawaii and Canada.  I know they've been changing itineraries a lot, but this seems over the line! 🤣

I thought they cancelled Alaska because Canada is closed?

2 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

I thought they cancelled Alaska because Canada is closed?

Keep up no foreign ports needed now, Alaska is the hot 😂 spot now.

Edited by ziggyuk
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

The writing has been on the wall for awhile, but even I am surprised it has happened so quickly. Regardless of vaccination status, I think we can all agree that a fully vaccinated ship is less likely to have covid complications. I expected the 100% vaccination to stick at least during the initial start up phase. I really want cruise ships to get this right. I am fearful that one wrong move could permanently change the industry. 

Agree, however since Royal C. cruises appeal a lot to families with kids, I can understand they taking a different approach.  I suspect that non-vaccinated will be discouraged from booking, with all the stuff that they will have to endure on a cruise.  Also, Royal may require multiple COVID19 testing prior to boarding.  For example Italy allows Americans (vaccinated or not) to visit Italy if they take a COVID19 Free flight to Italy.  This requires a PCR test three days prior to flight and an antigen test prior to boarding, then another antigen test on arrival.  We shall see what non vaccinated will have to endure.