Cabin location

Ardsley1967

Have not stayed there, but do a search on the Viking forum for things like "Cabin Choice"  or "Cabin & World Cafe"  or what not.  I do remember quite a bit of discussion the the past months regarding this exact topic.

54 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Have not stayed there, but do a search on the Viking forum for things like "Cabin Choice"  or "Cabin & World Cafe"  or what not.  I do remember quite a bit of discussion the the past months regarding this exact topic.

I think even trying the cabin numbers might work as a search word. IF I remember correctly, cabin numbers were mentioned in the threads CCWineLOver was talking about. If not your cabin number, try the cabin other numbers nearby.

55 minutes ago, JeriGail said:

Phil - that's a great web site!  Thanks!  It has tons of photos and shows the differences between all of the cabin categories.

I agree though I wish I could be the proofreader!  

When we book a PV cabin we always request Deck 6 aft.  It is convenient to the World Cafe.  The verandas have a little extra overhang.  We have never had a noise problem on the two cruises that we were in a deck 6 PV aft cabin.  The website just mentioned said to avoid these cabins because of the overhang.  I disagree, the overhang is one of the reasons we love them - each protection from the rain and sun.

Edited by Dukefan
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, JeriGail said:

Phil - that's a great web site!  Thanks!  It has tons of photos and shows the differences between all of the cabin categories.

But,  the cabins-to-avoid section is only looking at the ship from the exterior. It misses interior problems --  noise from the night club, the theater and the tenders -- that some have reported as annoying.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dukefan said:

When we book a PV cabin we always request Deck 6 aft.  It is convenient to the World Cafe.  The verandas have a little extra overhang.  We have never had a noise problem on the two cruises that we were in a deck 6 PV aft cabin.  The website just mentioned said to avoid these cabins because of the overhang.  I disagree, the overhang is one of the reasons we love them - each protection from the rain and sun.

I'm with you.  On transatlantic cruises, I always book on the side of the ship that faces north.  I like a little sun but too much makes me much less likely to use the veranda.  

3 hours ago, basenji56 said:

I'm with you.  On transatlantic cruises, I always book on the side of the ship that faces north.  I like a little sun but too much makes me much less likely to use the veranda.  

I thought I was the only person who didn’t believe in POSH, glad to know there is another SOPH around!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, philw1776 said:

I think you're on the other (Starboard) side under the buffet wings.

https://viking-cruises-cabin-guide.blogspot.com/p/cabins-to-avioid.html

Appreciate your sharing the link - interesting information and photographs.

6092 is indeed under the 'wings' but on the port side of the ship. 

There is a website that has the majority of the cruise lines fleet. You need  mapper to look  deck of  cruise.  😏  It has a free site and a member site that is 15 a year. The advantage of the member site, besides other things, is that it has a tool that you click on the cabin and it will tell you what is above and below that particular cabin.

Some rules of the thumb for us are "Sunny Port side Westbound/Sunny Starboard side Eastbound on Transatlantics. Also Port side leaving Venice and Starboard side arriving in Venice.

Edited by Heartgrove

• 2 weeks later...

Our cabin on Feb 2022 cruise is directly across from launderette.  Will there be a noise problem there?   I noticed on our last cruise there are hours posted but not sure what it’s like during open period.  

3 hours ago, FlaGirl13 said:

Our cabin on Feb 2022 cruise is directly across from launderette.  Will there be a noise problem there?   I noticed on our last cruise there are hours posted but not sure what it’s like during open period.  

Most people with cabins near the launderette report that they hear nothing. 

• Like 2

We just got our room assignment after a couple months (we had to book a guaranteed room since the cruise was nearly sold out). Anyone have any experience with the sixth deck toward the front? 6011, to be exact.

We are almost exactly 2 decks above the cabin we had on our only other VO cruise (4019) — same ship, too.

Based on another post on this forum, it looks like 6011 has the door/window combo this time instead of a slider. I’m excited about that. We had a slider last time, and you couldn’t really see out the window while sitting on the couch. This arrangement looks like it solves that problem. 
image.thumb.jpeg.718c2aeef137e67a16bc9da82588ce44.jpeg
Here we are, in our new stateroom 😏

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Twitchly said:

We just got our room assignment after a couple months (we had to book a guaranteed room since the cruise was nearly sold out). Anyone have any experience with the sixth deck toward the front? 6011, to be exact.

We are almost exactly 2 decks above the cabin we had on our only other VO cruise (4019) — same ship, too.

Based on another post on this forum, it looks like 6011 has the door/window combo this time instead of a slider. I’m excited about that. We had a slider last time, and you couldn’t really see out the window while sitting on the couch. This arrangement looks like it solves that problem. 
image.thumb.jpeg.718c2aeef137e67a16bc9da82588ce44.jpeg
Here we are, in our new stateroom 😏

We will have the slider for the first time this cruise. I’ll be curious to see how I like it. We’ve always had the door/window combo and I’ve really liked it since you sit on the couch and look right out the window. I think you’ll like it. 

• Like 1

On 6/8/2021 at 2:47 PM, Heartgrove said:

There is a website that has the majority of the cruise lines fleet. You need  mapper to look  deck of  cruise.  😏  It has a free site and a member site that is 15 a year. The advantage of the member site, besides other things, is that it has a tool that you click on the cabin and it will tell you what is above and below that particular cabin.

Some rules of the thumb for us are "Sunny Port side Westbound/Sunny Starboard side Eastbound on Transatlantics. Also Port side leaving Venice and Starboard side arriving in Venice.

Interesting.  We had a portside leaving Venice.  We were able to see St. Marks Square and Ducal Palace sailing away.  For Alaska insider passage northbound, the cruise consultant suggested starboard.  Could you enlighten me on why portside westbound on Transatlantic? Not that I've booked a transatlantic.  But I'd love to be on one in the future.

58 minutes ago, sleepybobo said:

Could you enlighten me on why portside westbound on Transatlantic? Not that I've booked a transatlantic.  But I'd love to be on one in the future.

I can answer that one. When traveling westbound, port side cabins face the sun; starboard will be in shade. Of course the reverse is true when traveling eastbound.

One more east vs. west factor that may not be immediately obvious. There are five or six time zones between NY and Europe. That means when traveling eastbound, you lose 5-6 hours and it's like the "bad" daylight saving time change for most of the days of the crossing. Much better, when traveling west, you gain an hour on five or six nights. Woo hoo! 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MarkBearSF said:

I can answer that one. When traveling westbound, port side cabins face the sun; starboard will be in shade. Of course the reverse is true when traveling eastbound.

One more east vs. west factor that may not be immediately obvious. There are five or six time zones between NY and Europe. That means when traveling eastbound, you lose 5-6 hours and it's like the "bad" daylight saving time change for most of the days of the crossing. Much better, when traveling west, you gain an hour on five or six nights. Woo hoo! 

Much thanks.  Never considered the time zone impact.  Gaining an hour of sleep is much better than losing an hour.  😉

1 hour ago, sleepybobo said:

Interesting.  We had a portside leaving Venice.  We were able to see St. Marks Square and Ducal Palace sailing away.  For Alaska insider passage northbound, the cruise consultant suggested starboard.  Could you enlighten me on why portside westbound on Transatlantic? Not that I've booked a transatlantic.  But I'd love to be on one in the future.

For a transatlantic we prefer sun on our verandah, and most of the time you can see either the sunrise and/or the sunset depending on the ship's heading without having to go up on deck. After a round-trip Hawaii cruise two years ago, I finally convinced my wife that being at sea for a six day stretch is relaxing and fun. In my Coast Guard days we were at sea for 30+ days at a time but it wasn't as much fun! On the Hawaii cruise the sun on our way from San Diego to Kona just felt good but then had shade all the way back except for a small glimpse of the sunset aft heading to Ensenada. 

We actually were supposed to do our first transatlantic this year but due to cancellation of the first part of a B2B before the transatlantic, we rebooked the transatlantic cruise for next year. That should be interesting as we have a cruise leaving Venice to Civitavecchia with points in between but the transatlantic leaves from Rotterdam five days later.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, sleepybobo said:

@Heartgrove  Thanks!  I found sea days to be enjoyable, especially after a couple port days.  We need the time to rejuvenate.  Not sure if I would enjoy sea days as much on other cruise lines, I'll never get bored on Viking ship.

We are primarily HAL cruisers with the Iceland cruise our first Viking cruise. Actually our next four booked cruises are on HAL! I won't try to suggest HAL to you as I cannot compare it - yet - to Viking. :classic_smile:  My feeling though is that there are many similarities. HAL's clientele are close to the same as VO with very few children (compared to none on VO) and then most passengers being age 50+. I have never felt that their ships felt crowded having sailed on three of the four classes. No nonsense-contests on board like other cruise lines and more varied itineraries than Viking in my opinion. Decent food along with specialty restaurants keeps us happy! A plus over Viking is the loyalty program (Mariner Society) that we enjoy the perks from and will add an additional star next year.

Edited by Heartgrove

9 hours ago, FlaGirl13 said:

Nope.  We have been directly across from laundry room and never heard a peep. I actually selected our cabin based on the proximity of the laundry - #1 because it was in the middle of the ship, and #2 when you came off the elevator, I looked for the laundry sign and knew which corridor to take to get "home".  🙂 

Our next 2023 is in the same cabin...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, sleepybobo said:

Completed 2 entire Alaska seasons + a number as a pax and can't really think of any positives of being on the Stbd side. Best views are from the Bridge, with aft cabins probably a close second. In Alaska, it is best to wander the decks on both sides.

Trans-Atlantics - favouring the Port side Westbound is a from those pax preferring more sun on that side of the ship. However, this assumes the ship's Latitude remains further North than the Sun's declination. On the S/Atlantic Crossing to B/A the ship will pass south of the sun, so if steering a W'ly course, more sun will be experienced on the Stb'd side.

It can also vary based on whether the ship steers the shorter Great Circle route or a Rumb Line course.