The Daily for Wednesday Jun 09, 2021

richwmn

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Interesting days. I just bought strawberries, but have no rhubarb.

I like the meal, cocktail and wine. And I like Roy's meal also.

I haven't been to today's port. I appreciate pictures from those who have been there.

Another warm and very humid day today. Possible thunderstorms daily until Saturday.

I went to the big box store this AM to do some grocery shopping and was getting overheated. I could enter without a mask since I'm vaccinated, but I wore one.

@wandb Prayers for your sister as she goes through her treatments.

@smitty34877 Glad to hear that Tana is feeling better.

@VintageGeo Continued prayers for Lynny.

@mamaofami It sounds like Sam is returning to his old self, thankfully.

@ClippyJoe So wonderful to be able to see your family.

@Cruising-along Hoping your cousin gets a new kidney soon.

@Horizon chaser 1957 The scarves are beautiful!

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

Midnight at the Oasis -- Oh WOW! -- December 6, 2012

OK, Dubai is a great amusement park and an endless mall but we wanted to see more -- so we signed up for a Desert Safari for this afternoon/evening and all I can say is that our experience topped anything that we anticipated.  I already sent on some photos because I am truly not sure that I will be able to finish this journal entry before I get too sleepy but I am driven to write before I forget all the details.

We took a slow morning today knowing that we had a seven hour adventure planned for later.  We enjoyed the most international breakfast buffet at the hotel that we have ever experienced -- stations for American, Continental, Japanese, Arabian, Mongolian, Indian  breakfasts and possibly more.  They serve everything from sushi, noodle soup and fried rice to salads, deli meats, frozen yogurt .... in a very large and busy breakfast restaurant where the patrons are literally from all over the world -- Arabic robes of all sorts, women in full birkha, Indian families, as well as the western and Asian tourists that we commonly see on our trips.  Even breakfast was a bit of a trip today.

Our friend from the ship, Lenora, met us at the hotel and we were picked up in a Mercedes mini-van and driven to a spot about an hour out of town, about half way between Dubai and Abu Dhabi.  

Along the way we were treated to the sight of a Camel Race as we passed the race track.  You will notice that in the picture we sent the racing camel has a box instead of a jockey mounted on his back.  That is what they call a "robo jockey" which is controlled by someone in a car who follows the camel around the track (I believe on the other side of a fence) and signals the robot when he feels it is necessary to use the "robo whip" to get the animal to speed up.

As you can also see in the pictures we passed some agricultural fields making use of scarecrows.

The area is a Conservation Reserve owned by the Sheik, and it is empty and alone in the desert.  At this point we transferred from our minivan to a Land Rovers (circa 1940's or 1950's) where the three of us sat on narrow (but padded) bench seats and held on as our driver took us into the Reserve.  It was totally quiet.  All we could see was soft, red sand.  

Before we started our guide tied Arabic scarves on our heads to protect us from the sun.  We have photos of that also, but it is possible that we may never share those.  There was no road, only a couple of tracks in the sand for the driver to follow.

We were fortunate today as it rained heavily recently and the sand was still a bit damp so that it did not blow in our faces -- today it was in the 70's with a nice breeze. 

As we drove through the reserve we stopped to observe and photograph groups of orecks (I know I spelled that like the vacuum cleaner but I am too tired to look up the spelling of the animal at the moment) and gazelles.

After a while we reached a spot in the desert where we stopped and there were two large silk Oriental Carpets set out in the sand with a low makeshift couch set up from couch cushions and large pillows.  There was also a hooded falcon and his trainer.  We were joined here by the only other group doing this tour today -- two Saudi Arabian gentlemen dressed in their long white robes and headcloths and one woman dressed in full, black birkha.

We were then treated to a demonstration of falconry which has a long proud tradition in Arabic culture.  We found out that the hood worn by the falcon is also called a birkha.  At the end of the demonstration after the bird captured its prey (quite impressive) and ate his meaty treat reward we were allowed to put on the protective sleeve and let the bird rest on our arm.

While the demonstration was going on the sun was setting over the desert so that we were also treated to the desert sunset.

When the demonstration was over we were slightly delayed in leaving the site as the Saudi men (who had chosen to pay extra to ride in a luxury closed 4x4 vehicle) could not take their eyes off of the classic "antique" vehicle that we were riding in .  The collection of these vehicles that are being used to operate this tour are on loan from the Sheik.  And we watched while the two Saudi men took turns sitting in and pretending to drive the Land Rover, even turning on the motor and turning on the lights so that they could have their pictures taken.

Back in the vehicle, continuing on through the park it slowly got dark.  By the time we arrived at our oasis the sun was entirely gone.  The six of us were the only guests this evening though this operation is set up to handle 40.  Apparently it is a brand new company and the Saudi gentlemen who were with us are investors and were there to see how the operation works.  

Though they ate separately from us, across the oasis shelter, we all gathered together after the meal and we got to talk.  It is clear that they are trying, in this experience, to capture some of the old desert ways that were so prevalent in the '40's and '50's before oil money arrived and changed their world overnight.  Of course, our experience was sort of like watching "Happy Days" as it glorified the good things and forgot the hardships.

As we walked into the Oasis we were greeted by someone who poured rosewater on our hands to wash them -- and, of course, clean towels to dry.

The next part of the greeting was Arabic Coffees and dates.  We learned how to signal in the Arabic way that we do not want a refill of coffee.

While we waited for the meal preparations to finish we were led outside and offered a brief camel ride.  The camels were lined up and tied together, with brightly colored crocheted muzzles on to protect us from spitting and bites.  Lenora still got bonked by the head of Ed's camel as she mounted hers.

After the camel rides we went to really wash up and discovered a rustic stone building behind the oasis with modern plumbing and running water that drained into carved wooden sinks, scented soaps and fresh terrycloth hand towels.  Yes, a sanitized version of the old ways.

Returning to the main compound we were shown a demonstration on how the local bread was made as well as the soups -- our first course.  We were instructed to take the paper thin crisp bread and dip it into the lentil soup.

Between courses the women were offered the chance to have our hands painted with henna tatoos.  I chickened out but both Lenora and the Saudi woman took advantage of the opportunity.  The artist who painted the henna did a remarkable job.  The material applied is thick, like chocolate and required a full thirty minutes to dry so that Lenora spent the time during our next course, the appetizers, holding her left hand up -- you may notice that in the picture I sent.  The Saudi woman accidentally smooshed some of her henna and had to have a touch up.

The Saudi woman showed only her eyes above her veils and I would love to know how she did her very smokey black eye make up -- she looked gorgeous.  Later, she did have to take her veil down to eat and left it down during our after dinner time.  I always wondered what they had to do to eat.

For appetizers we had two types of "samboosas" -- a fried dumpling very much like Indian Samosas -- one vegetable, one beef.  We also had hummus, and a second similar spread made with "oozee" (which is apparently the word for beef -- I do not know how to spell it), tabouleh, tomato and onion salad, and a green salad.  In addition to the crisp bread we now also had triangles of a stretchy, soft pita like loaf in our bread basket.  Even though I only sampled I was already full at the end of this course.  The soup was just too good -- as well as the coffee and dates.

After a break between courses there was a demonstration of traditional cooking methods which were used (but in a modern, sanitary way) to cook our meal which consisted of a slow roasted lamb that was tender and delicious, two types of rice pilaf, chicken and more vegetables.  Lenora is a vegetarian and her needs were totally accommodated.

To the aftermeal!  We were led over to an area where low couches had been set up on more silk carpets and offered shisha pipes (water pipes or hookahs) along with our first dessert -- a huge bowl full of these crispy donut hole things that are soaked in date honey.   We had them last night, also, with our dinner but these were so much better.  

More Arabian coffee was served as we sat and those who chose (not me) bubbled away at their shisha pipes, and we spoke some with the Saudi men.  The woman did not speak English.

Then the dancer appeared -- wearing a billowing royal blue robe decorated with silver embroidery -- she was a young woman with shiny long black hair who danced most provocatively.  I cannot even imagine how she got some of her body parts to do what they did so apparently under those robes.  It was a treat -- and she was joined while dancing her last song by the two Saudi men -- but we were not allowed to photograph that.

Damn, we wonder who those men really were.  Our guide was not about to divulge anything other than that they were investors.

After our second dessert, bowls of fresh fruit salad, it was finally time to go back to the hotel.

Our experience was so private and personal that it really wowed us.  We are not sure what we would have thought of it if they had been at capacity, with forty people.

From the tired folks who are ready for bed the night before their last day in Dubai

• Like 20

Happy Wednesday.  I know it's been a couple of days, it's been crazy.  Yesterday I had my 3 month checkup with my primary and today Dear Dad had to go to urgent care because of a recurring infection and needed an antibiotic.  So I've had my fill of doctors and clinics for awhile.  

Not into rhubarb at all. And don't ever grow it, you'll never get rid of it and will have to start doling out pies every summer.  Is there nothing else to do with rhubarb?

We have a pleasantly partly sunny day in the Pacific Northwest.  I think we get one more day of it before the June gloom and showers returns.  I'm good with that.  Our July through Sept hot, dusty, and smoky dry season will be here soon enough and I'll be praying for days like this.  

Thanks to all the listers; thoughts and prayers to all that need them. 

Roasted shrimp salad sounds delightful.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

• Like 19

3 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Good morning, all! Donald Duck is so good for making people laugh. He’s a great reminder to step back and not get too uptight. Strawberry rhubarb pie is either heaven or hell, depending on the rhubarb. You can only tell the difference by taste, not by looks. So if you have a friend with a plant of GOOD rhubarb, never let them go! That roasted shrimp salad sounds like a winner, and I must make some! A Kahlua Colada sounds like one to try coconut rum in.

Today is beautiful, so I need to tend to the plants. I also need to contact TAP Portugal - again - regarding the refund that’s been due for over a year now. I prefer tending the plants.😏

I post dyed the scarves from the other day - one in Arbutus bark, one in lichen. This morning I was out getting artsy displaying them in nature for picture taking  DD does the same with handmade jewelry and hers look fantastic. Maybe her skill as a photographer has some bearing on that.🤔

The scarves among the daisies

B983F792-436C-4477-AA16-CB4CE5CDA1D0.thumb.jpeg.7a8f6a7a617f33feac71fec9e930acaf.jpeg

9EC0BE3F-97CA-4E60-9381-50611BB1AB95.thumb.jpeg.e3b0502a3fe05de21d95231698d692f7.jpeg

And Happy Wednesday! As our BHB’s start moving again, May they soon move with us aboard!

A51A76B5-35F4-407C-B8A9-2FB58215B9B6.thumb.jpeg.d8b0fe85698439e473153771ad1072cd.jpeg

As usual, the scarves are lovely.

2 hours ago, Live4cruises said:

Did anyone happen to see Disney's Fantasia 2000?  It was really wonderful, and we have the DVD.  One of the segments starred Donald & Daisy as Noah's assistants set  to Elgar - it was a smile from beginning to end.  

@Horizon chaser 1957, your scarves are absolutely gorgeous.

As for me, I've got a terrible case of the wiggles.  Retirement in just over 4 weeks.  July 9 is the big day!

Happy retirement, almost.  Now, you can play.

2 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

@grapau27.I admire Pauline and she looks wonderful.Since retiring I find I wear "good jeans" when heading out the door. The paper on Sunday had an article about how we have forgotten  how to dress. I better go read that!

Since DH worked from home for 32 years and then retired, our normal dress is shorts and t shirts in summer and jeans and t shirts in winter.  We try to wear good, clean ones when we go out. 😜  We take cruises to remind us how to dress.

39 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Interesting days. I just bought strawberries, but have no rhubarb.

I like the meal, cocktail and wine. And I like Roy's meal also.

I haven't been to today's port. I appreciate pictures from those who have been there.

Another warm and very humid day today. Possible thunderstorms daily until Saturday.

I went to the big box store this AM to do some grocery shopping and was getting overheated. I could enter without a mask since I'm vaccinated, but I wore one.

@wandb Prayers for your sister as she goes through her treatments.

@smitty34877 Glad to hear that Tana is feeling better.

@VintageGeo Continued prayers for Lynny.

@mamaofami It sounds like Sam is returning to his old self, thankfully.

@ClippyJoe So wonderful to be able to see your family.

@Cruising-along Hoping your cousin gets a new kidney soon.

@Horizon chaser 1957 The scarves are beautiful!

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe everyone. 

You would like our grocery stores.  They keep them really cold, so when we go outside  in our summer hear, it feels good.

For years, I used my mother’s pie crust recipe with pretty good luck.  They might not have always looked the best, but they were flaky and tender.  Then, at younger DD’s suggestion, I tried following different chefs recipes without much success.  I am now back to the tried and true one that works for me.  The only changes I made to it years ago was to chill the shortening, use ice water, and let it rest for a few minutes before rolling it out, but the basic recipe is the same.

Lenda

• Like 17

3 hours ago, puppycanducruise said:

Happy to share, hope you like it.

You need a single pie crust, unbaked - homemade or store bought, no judging here.

Filling:

4 cup chopped rhubarb

3 egg yolks (save the whites for the meringue)

3/4 cup sugar (if you like a sweeter pie, use more, the original recipe I got said 1 cup sugar but that  was too much for me)

1 cup half & half (or heavy cream if you prefer)

2 Tbsp flour

pinch of salt

Spread rhubarb in pie crust.

Combine yolks with sugar and cream flour and salt, whisk to smooth consistency.  Pour over rhubarb. 

Bake @ 350F 50 to 60 minutes.

Just before pie is done make meringue.

Meringue topping:

3 egg whites

1/4 cup sugar

1/4 tsp cream of tartar

Beat all ingredients to stiff peaks.  Spread over hot filling.  Return to oven and bake additional 10 minutes or until meringue is browned.

Mother use to make this as well.  Many who said they didn't like rhubarb loved her pie.  The eggs, half and half, and the sugar neutralize the rhubarb.  We have plenty of strawberries in Florida, but rhubarb has to be "imported" from northern areas.

• Like 11

We sailed to Abu Dhabi at our halfway point, on our January, 2016 Rotterdam cruise.  We were with a CC Roll Call group to tour the city.  Our first stop

was the country’s most important Mosque, then to the Masdar Institute, where we got to ride in driverless cars.  Next we spent some time at Ferrari World, really like a fancy shopping mall.  We enjoyed lunch in a restaurant with a view of a beach and the city.  Then came a visit to the Saadiyat Cultural District viewing the vision of Saadiyat Island through scale models.  Sorry, all my photos are in an album.  Some day I’ll learn how to post them !

• Like 17

11 hours ago, richwmn said:

Los Angeles
Nieuw Amsterdam

Rich, just a heads up, Nieuw A will be in San Pedro (Berth 93, Port of L.A.) for ten days until her departure on 19 Jun. During that time, she'll be building up her crew to pretty much full capacity (LAX is an easy access point from all over the world) in order to get ready for her shortened Alaska season which starts on 24 Jul out of Seattle. Unfortunately, due to CBP and CDC regs, her crew will not be able to get off the ship to visit L.A. which, btw, is opening up post-Covid (sports venues, movies, theaters, Hollyweird, you name it). Capt. Jeroen and Hotel Director Bart will have to keep their growing crew busy and occupied, mostly at night, since daytime will no doubt be devoted to lots of training and retraining

May be an image of nature

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 2

Thanks to all who help manage this site.  Prayers headed to all that need them.

The pie recipe sounds delicious, and we have local strawberries ready, although probably not many this year due to a late frost and lack of rain. 

@ger_77Tenderflake frozen pie shells are very good.  I do make my own, but also use frozen.  Especially the Thanksgiving weekend when we went thru 13 pies!

I enjoyed looking at the pictures of Abu Dhabi and admire those who can find their pictures and post them. Thanks @GeorgeCharlieand @arzz.  We have not cruised from Abu Dhabi, but spent a week there and another in Dubai. We liked Abu Dhabi the best.  We used the Ho Ho bus for 2 days, and it covered the city and surrounding areas.  It went to the Grand Mosque, a must see, and Masdar City, which relies on solar and other renewable energy sources. It took us to Yas Island and Ferrari World, and we saw cars practicing on the F1 course. The UAE Heritage Village was closed for renovations at the time. Think it would have been interesting. We also did  the Dune Bashing and dinner in the desert.  A friend took us to the Emirates Palace,  where we ate pastry decorated with gold bits and saw vending machines that dispense gold. One morning we went out for breakfast, and had omelets, served with cole slaw. We ordered coffee with cream, and were surprised when we were given a large cup, filled with whipped cream, and the server poured coffee into it.  Oops!  Learned we should order coffee with milk.  Looking at the pictures of the Saudi men in their thobes. How do they keep them so clean and white?  And, at the Mall where we caught the Ho Ho bus, there were 2 Tim Hortons!!!

• Like 11

@Horizon chaser 1957 and @Tbay thanks for the suggestion, that's exactly what I use.  I'm pretty sure if someone needed a lethal weapon during an apocalypse, I could whip up a pie crust recipe that would end the war of the worlds!  I've been using the Tenderflake crusts for a long time - I tried the store brand . . . nope - went back to Tenderflake.  They're a little more expensive, but worth it.  

I'm going to head to one of the farmers markets this weekend and pick up some rhubarb to make a pie . . . will let you know!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 12

Just a quick update on my visit with the Cardiologist this morning.  I think overall it went pretty well except for my travel plans.  She wants to send me for 3 months of cardiac rehab.  That would put me out of range to even think about the Nieuw Amsterdam Alaska season.

I'm also wondering about Sam.  I hope the hospital is working with him to get him started walking a bit with supervision and support.  I expect they want to get him moving ASAP to help prevent blood clots.

Roy

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

53 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

A friend just sent me this, and I wanted to share it before today turns into tomorrow.  LOL

125764478_WineWednesday.jpg.456dbeba82b0a0e8933cacd59a656434.jpg

Smooth Sailing! 🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

😉 🙂😉 🙂 🙂  🙂 😉  

Wine vs Hard Liquor: The Best Reasons to Be a Wino

😉😉😉😉😉

• Like 9
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Just a quick update on my visit with the Cardiologist this morning.  I think overall it went pretty well except for my travel plans.  She wants to send me for 3 months of cardiac rehab.  That would put me out of range to even think about the Nieuw Amsterdam Alaska season.

I'm also wondering about Sam.  I hope the hospital is working with him to get him started walking a bit with supervision and support.  I expect they want to get him moving ASAP to help prevent blood clots.

Roy

Roy, did your cardiologist explain what cardio rehab involves? 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

😉 🙂😉 🙂 🙂  🙂 😉  

Wine vs Hard Liquor: The Best Reasons to Be a Wino

😉😉😉😉😉

I have to disagree with point #1.

Lots drink cardobeaux including Australians, New Zealanders and some of the rest of us 😉 Not a dam thing wrong with it especially when ours comes from Australia.

Still remember the first time we went to Australia and that was year’s ago.  The wine store told me a lot of their wine was in cardboard.  The bottles were shippped elsewhere as people thought it was a “must”.  

They had cardbordeaux available in good vintages from 1/2 litre increments all the way to 4.

Our wine in our fridge is a nice Australian and it is in cardbordeaux.  If that makes us winos - so be it 😉

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Roy, did your cardiologist explain what cardio rehab involves? 

Not in detail but it should be a gradual buildup of stamina under supervision.

Roy

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2