Port to Rome Airport or train station

mduffy1834

We will be debarking on Celebrity Reflection on 5/2/22.  We need to get to the airport or train station (still up in the air about that) to get to Venice for one night before we embark on NCL Star on 5/3/22.

Three questions................

1.  Air or train - flight is only one hour, but will cost about $150+ pp with luggage.  Train is 3 1/2 hours for about $75pp.  Anyone done both, or one with comments.  Train is at 11:50am; Plane is at about 1:00pm - are both doable? 

2.  Any hotel recommendation?  Maybe near train station if taking train or near airport (and train station that will take us into Venice for quick tour and dinner).

3.  Does Celebrity offer transfer from port to airport?  Can't find it on their website.

Thanks

8 minutes ago, mduffy1834 said:

We will be debarking on Celebrity Reflection on 5/2/22.  We need to get to the airport or train station (still up in the air about that) to get to Venice for one night before we embark on NCL Star on 5/3/22.

Three questions................

1.  Air or train - flight is only one hour, but will cost about $150+ pp with luggage.  Train is 3 1/2 hours for about $75pp.  Anyone done both, or one with comments.  Train is at 11:50am; Plane is at about 1:00pm - are both doable? 

2.  Any hotel recommendation?  Maybe near train station if taking train or near airport (and train station that will take us into Venice for quick tour and dinner).

3.  Does Celebrity offer transfer from port to airport?  Can't find it on their website.

Thanks

The train station is close to the port. An 11:50 train should be easily doable. A 1:00 flight is also doable.  Also there is no customs or immigration getting off a cruise if the cruise began in the EU to delay debarkation. Celebrity probably does transfers to the airport. I took an independent bus. There are independent buses at the port. They were cheaper than the cruise line transfer. The only issue was that the bus won't leave until every seat is filled and the different bus operators are competing with each other soliciting passengers, no dispatch system. So there could be 10 buses not completely filled delaying all of them. i guess that is the italian way. 

1) Many shuttle companies are available to take you from the port to Rome or the Airport.  I’ve used Bob’s limo and would recommend them.  More information would be available on the Rome Port forum.

2) Baring any delays both the flight and train are doable.  We went with the train and found it efficient and enjoyable with a benefit being the train drops you off in Venice.

3) No Venice hotel recommendations but if you decide to spend the 2nd in Rome instead of Venice I would recommend Londra and Cargil. Good location close to Terminni station for easy travel to Venice on the 3rd.

4) Celebrity has always offered transport to Rome or the Airport and suspect that hasn’t changed.

Thanks for the quick responses......we are actually on a TA on Celebrity, so we will be leaving from Fort Lauderdale and landing in Rome.  So, probably customs (?).  No big deal.

Leaning towards the train - think the station is near where we stayed before, which is convenient.

Can't wait to cruise again, and this will basically be 24 day cruise (on 2 ships/lines).

3 minutes ago, mduffy1834 said:

Thanks for the quick responses......we are actually on a TA on Celebrity, so we will be leaving from Fort Lauderdale and landing in Rome.  So, probably customs (?).  No big deal.

Leaning towards the train - think the station is near where we stayed before, which is convenient.

Can't wait to cruise again, and this will basically be 24 day cruise (on 2 ships/lines).

The train station in Rome is actually at the airport, very easy to get to Venice from there and it’s a nice ride.

Edited by LGW59

Make sure you have a back up plan as the trains go on strike frequently and without much warning.    You will have to watch the internet news and be prepared to book a flight, if any seats are available.    I wouldn’t want this type of stress on a relaxing transatlantic.   At least you have 24 hrs to get to Venice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

The train station in Rome is actually at the airport, very easy to get to Venice from there and it’s a nice ride.

Basically incorrect.

Yes, there is a train station at the airport, but this is NOT the main station for Rome.  The airport station is named Fiumicino Aeroporto, while the central station for Rome is Rome Termini.

There is basically ONE direct train from the airport - all other itineraries from the airport have at least one or two connections along the way.  So pretty much one way or another, most of your options would include a Rome station, from which there is frequent service to Venice.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

The train station is close to the port. An 11:50 train should be easily doable. A 1:00 flight is also doable.

Please note that the station that is "close to the port" is the station for Civitavecchia, not the station for either the airport or central Rome.  You would most likely be taking a regional train from the port area to Termini, then transferring to an express service to Venice.

I''m not sure where you are getting these train times.  Italian railroads only have the schedules available 4 months out, so know that you are making assumptions about train times.  Also, that time for 3.5 hours by train would be from Termini, not from either Civitavecchia or Fiumicino.

Before you make any decisions, I suggest you read up on Italian railroad travel at The Man in Seat 61.

https://www.seat61.com

Probably the best one-stop reference for any train travel in Europe, with pictures and links galore.

1 hour ago, FlyerTalker said:

Please note that the station that is "close to the port" is the station for Civitavecchia, not the station for either the airport or central Rome.  You would most likely be taking a regional train from the port area to Termini, then transferring to an express service to Venice.

They would have to change trains. They did not say if the  11:50 was out of Civitavecchia or Rome but there are many trains between Civiavecchia to Rome and from Rome to Venice so I don't think they don't really need to worry. When I went from Civitaveechia to Rome I did not need a reservation. Nor did I need a reservation from Termini. ( I did not take express trains). I just took the next available train to my destination. I would not worry about the train times. The main worry on those trains is pickpockets and luggage thiefs. Don't take an eye off  luggage and carry a belt wallet.

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

Go to your Roll call there will be some one organize 6-8 passengers shuttle.

It usually cost 25-30 per person.

Drop off at Termini train station in Rome and catch the train from there direct to Venice.

You can stay a night near the station hotels(next to the Termini station) and take the train the next day to Venice if you want to cut down the hotel cost.

Its a long long walk from the debarkation port and you need to take taxi.I would rather not to try that if I were you.The regional train has no reserved seat and sometime it may be hard to find the luggage rack.

The Hotel next to the Termini station is Hotel NH collection.

Its very nice and very reasonable price.

Make sure is next to the station because there are a few NH Hotel.

Edited by verizon

2 hours ago, mduffy1834 said:

Is Rome the first port? Are there other EU ports before Rome?

1 hour ago, FlyerTalker said:

Basically incorrect.

Yes, there is a train station at the airport, but this is NOT the main station for Rome.  The airport station is named Fiumicino Aeroporto, while the central station for Rome is Rome Termini.

There is basically ONE direct train from the airport - all other itineraries from the airport have at least one or two connections along the way.  So pretty much one way or another, most of your options would include a Rome station, from which there is frequent service to Venice.

Basically correct, one can get to Venice from the airport in Rome.

5 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Basically correct, one can get to Venice from the airport in Rome.

One can get to Venice from ANY other train station in Italy.  It's just a matter of how many stops and how many connections one must take.

The point that the FCO station is NOT the primary station for Rome still remains valid.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FlyerTalker said:

One can get to Venice from ANY other train station in Italy.  It's just a matter of how many stops and how many connections one must take.

The point that the FCO station is NOT the primary station for Rome still remains valid.

I did not say it was, I only said that it is doable, and really is not a major inconvenience, at least it was not for me, but then again I’m pretty flexible kind of go with the flow when I travel.  Choo choo!

59 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

I did not say it was, I only said that it is doable, and really is not a major inconvenience, at least it was not for me, but then again I’m pretty flexible kind of go with the flow when I travel.  Choo choo!

Taking an airport shuttle bus from the port to the Rome airport and catching a train  from the airport to Venice is definitely a valid  option. It was confusing that you said the train station in Rome is actually at the airport. That was a little off. What would have been correct  to say there is a train station at the airport where there are trains to Venice. 

Edited by Charles4515

Ok, I admit to being a little confused by the OP's post since a lot of info was implied.

There are fast trains from Rome to Venice, but you have to get to the Rome train station to board one, which would mean transport from the port either by

1. Private car (around 120 euro, arrange in advance) or
  2. By taking the regional train (like a commuter train) to Rome first and transferring to the express train there. From long experience, the train from Civitavecchia arrives on a track that is FAR from the main hub of the station; a long walk if a lot of luggage is involved. And there's also the inconvenience of getting TO the station in Civitavecchia -- taxis are rarely available IN the port area; most are waiting for pre-booked fares. So you have to take a port shuttle to the entrance, then a public bus to the train station.

That said, I am still a fan of the train system between the two cities. Yes, the journey is a bit longer by train, but when you add on the extra time up front required to get through the airport formalities, then the extra time on the back end when you arrive in Venice airport to get into Venice proper, it's pretty much a wash...

Celebrity will offer a transfer to the airport, but you have to pay for that as well, per person, which probably ends up about as much as the private car transfer. All things being equal, I'd arrange a car to pick up in Civi port, take me to Termini station in Rome, and then get on the Frecce (fast train) to Venice. Minimizes a lot of hassle and luggage handling. No change of train is required.

• Like 1

Totally agree with @cruisemom42 Lots of confusing info here, prior to cruisemom42 slimming the mess down considerably. Thank you cruisemom42!

As I mentioned in your other post, I think the train idea is generally easier. Adding the private car, shuttle or whatever transport, adds a notable cost. If you are mobile, and can handle your luggage easily, I would train from the port, to Rome Termini, and catch the high speed train to Venice.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Totally agree with @cruisemom42 Lots of confusing info here, prior to cruisemom42 slimming the mess down considerably. Thank you cruisemom42!

As I mentioned in your other post, I think the train idea is generally easier. Adding the private car, shuttle or whatever transport, adds a notable cost. If you are mobile, and can handle your luggage easily, I would train from the port, to Rome Termini, and catch the high speed train to Venice.

We have taken the regional train to Termini three times from Civitavecchia and managed. I would do that again. We like to stay in Italy pre and post cruise. Love visiting Italy. Also the trains were not to crowded that time of the day.

What I would avoid is taking a train from Termini to Civitavecchia. Morning in that direction out of Rome is more rush hour and crowded. Had to stand in between cars with luggage. Did it once. So after that we did use a car service shared on our roll call from multiple hotels to the port. 

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

We have taken the regional train to Termini three times from Civitavecchia and managed. I would do that again. We like to stay in Italy pre and post cruise. Love visiting Italy. Also the trains were not to crowded that time of the day.

What I would avoid is taking a train from Termini to Civitavecchia. Morning in that direction out of Rome is more rush hour and crowded. Had to stand in between cars with luggage. Did it once. So after that we did use a car service shared on our roll call from multiple hotels to the port. 

We love Italy as well. We were due to be there in May-June 2020, but Covid rescheduled that to May June 2021, but Covid got that as well. In fact, we would have been in Italy right now.

To be clear, the OP was not asking about going from Termini to Civi.

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

What I would avoid is taking a train from Termini to Civitavecchia. Morning in that direction out of Rome is more rush hour and crowded.

Surprising. Normally the rush hour flow is from Civitavecchia into Rome (e.g., from the suburbs into the city).  At least that is what I have experienced. Perhaps there were a lot of cruise passengers on your train...

Thanks for all the fantastic tips and suggestions.  

The TA has stops in the Canary Islands, Spain, France, Italy, debarking in Rome.  So, maybe no customs(?).

Think we will take to train from Roma Termini to Venice.  Will need to arrange transport to the train station in Rome, or we can take a taxi to the train station at the port and take the train directly to Termini and transfer to train to Venice.  I think time wise we will be ok.  I can book the train to Venice right now, but the local train from the port to Termini is not available to schedule right now.

In Venice, we will walk from the train station to the Hotel Arlecchino for one night.  It looks like a pretty easy walk from the train station and is right across the street from the People Mover.  We know the area from our last visit, so we are pretty comfortable.  Never done the People Mover before, but it should be ok.

Will check with our CC roll call to see if anyone is scheduling a transfer from the port to Rome.

Again, thanks for all the suggestions.  Any further input is always appreciated.

5 minutes ago, mduffy1834 said:

Thanks for all the fantastic tips and suggestions.  

The TA has stops in the Canary Islands, Spain, France, Italy, debarking in Rome.  So, maybe no customs(?).

Should not be any Immigration or Customs issues.

Don't buy your train tickets until just under 4 months prior to the trip. Only buy from trenitalia web site. That will get you the best pricing.

I’d be tempted to see if there are any others from your ship interested in a private transfer to Venice or a car rental but one way but May be costly.  
If you have a lot of luggage the flight might be easier logistically.   
If you don’t have too much luggage,  I would think the private transfer to Rome Termini would be worth it.  

Edited by bennybear

A private transfer all the way to Venice would be extremely expensive, but it probably wouldn't be hard to find another couple or two on your ship willing to split a private transfer into Rome.  That would be the easiest route to the train station, and with others to share the cost it wouldn't be orders of magnitude more expensive than the train all the way.  Do note that it's almost impossible to get a taxi from the port to the Civitavecchia train station (about a mile).