Didn't take long

1 minute ago, Catnip said:

I had read that all X's cruises were for vaxxed only.   Did that change?

It has not changed but the suspicion of someone faking their vaccine credentials to get on board is a theory since we don't actually know anything yet.  We may never know anything since it didn't leave port out of the US. 

I didn’t see anything about any testing on boarding…. I’m going to assume all passages and their documents presented were valid and accurate… the covid vaccines reduce ones likelihood of contracting and if one does contract to reduce  the severity of the contracted illness… so it’s possible that one or both came on infected or they contracted from someone else onboard… while false positives are unlikely on rapid testing that isn’t true of negative tests (to my knowledge)

My thinking is  that  these two came aboard with asymptotic covid in their system… 

the protocols worked as no one else get sick during the cruise even tho they interacted with others… enhanced cleaning and social distancing and all that…. 

be interesting when we get the rest of this story …. Till then lots of conjecture!

Edited by PRPLE
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, cscurlock said:

It has not changed but the suspicion of someone faking their vaccine credentials to get on board is a theory since we don't actually know anything yet.  We may never know anything since it didn't leave port out of the US. 

So X is mandating the jab for all passengers, as I had read.   Wonder why the conspiracy theories are flying now, instead of folks admitting that being vaxx is not going to "make you safe" from this virus?  Lots of pearl clutching & disbelief going on now, I see.  

• Like 4

Just now, Catnip said:

So X is mandating the jab for all passengers, as I had read.   Wonder why the conspiracy theories are flying now, instead of folks admitting that being vaxx is not going to "make you safe" from this virus?  Lots of pearl clutching & disbelief going on now, I see.  

But it does make you safe from serious illness.

Mandate not really the right word at least in Florida.  They just don't have a lot of room for unvaccinated passengers sailing out of Florida.  Everywhere else its a mandate.  

28 minutes ago, CruisingHogFan said:

Not sure how you think unvaccinated also includes  those who’ve had the virus?? 

I know many people who had Covid in the past and also has been vaccinated including myself…..  

Heard immunity isn’t going to happen.

Yes, same with us , virus and then vaccinated, but there are also many who haven’t been vaccinated but who’ve had the   virus, as well. 

Edited by 4cats4me
  • Like 1

Just now, cscurlock said:

Mandate not really the right word at least in Florida.  They just don't have a lot of room for unvaccinated passengers sailing out of Florida.  Everywhere else its a mandate.  

I was under the impression that X (unlike RCCL at the present time) is mandating all their passengers have the jab before boarding.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was under the impression that X (unlike RCCL at the present time) is mandating all their passengers have the jab before boarding.

No, what they are doing is they have a 5 percent threshold they can use for unvaccinated guests in order to meet the 95% which is what they agreed to sail under.  So if you don't volunteer your vaccination information you will be put into that 5%.  Once the cruise maxes out the unvaccinated limit they wont be taking any more unvaccinated passengers.  That will guarantee 95% of the passengers will be vaccinated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Catnip said:

Don’t see any pearl clutching — I do see a lot of people aware that the vaccine doesn’t guarantee you won’t catch Covid, and that if you do, you are unlikely to get severely ill — just like they always have.  Why are you trying to spin it in a direction it isn’t going?

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

I don't believe there are any documented cases of a breakthrough case spreading it to someone else.

I agree they both probably came into contact with the same infected person. 

1 hour ago, harkinmr said:

There is no absolute proof at this time that prior infection provides long term immunity. 

It provides just as long as the vaccine does to this point. Its been proven study of 55,000 people just released a couple days ago. But this has been the case since the beginning of time. Once you have had a virus you become immune or protected against reinfection for a period of time. Covid is no different. Unless you listen to our overpaid partisan dr. Fauci

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cscurlock said:

No, what they are doing is they have a 5 percent threshold they can use for unvaccinated guests in order to meet the 95% which is what they agreed to sail under.  So if you don't volunteer your vaccination information you will be put into that 5%.  Once the cruise maxes out the unvaccinated limit they wont be taking any more unvaccinated passengers.  That will guarantee 95% of the passengers will be vaccinated.

Sorry that is not correct, Although it is close for Florida cruises only.

When I go here:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/content/dam/celebrity/pdf/healthy-at-sea-protocols-cel.pdf

I see this for US/Florida cruises:

"Vaccine required for 16+ years old

Following CDC guidelines, we will sail with all crew vaccinated and at least 95% of guests will be fully vaccinated.

For sailings from Florida – Guests who decline or are unable to show proof of vaccination at boarding will be treated as unvaccinated and subject to additional costs, restrictions, and protocols to be advsied as soon as they have been determined."

Cruises from anywhere else require vaccines for those age 16+ or 18+ depending on the country.

Tom

2 hours ago, notmyrealnameoremail said:

Sorry that is not correct, Although it is close for Florida cruises only.

When I go here:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/content/dam/celebrity/pdf/healthy-at-sea-protocols-cel.pdf

I see this for US/Florida cruises:

"Vaccine required for 16+ years old

Following CDC guidelines, we will sail with all crew vaccinated and at least 95% of guests will be fully vaccinated.

For sailings from Florida – Guests who decline or are unable to show proof of vaccination at boarding will be treated as unvaccinated and subject to additional costs, restrictions, and protocols to be advsied as soon as they have been determined."

Cruises from anywhere else require vaccines for those age 16+ or 18+ depending on the country.

Tom

I was discussing Florida specifically based on the previous replies.  The recent call with celebrity and TAs basically outlined what I was discussing although the text above outlines the rules specific to Florida in less detail.  There is no vaccine requirement for Florida its just they have only 5% space available for the unvaccinated on the ship.

Good article from someone on the Celebrity ship. The two positive cases have been confirmed as positive by a second test. All close contacts (including this reporter) were quarantined in their cabins.  The positive couple will be put in further quarantine upon arrival in SXM until they test negative and are cleared to return home. 

https://thepointsguy.com/news/celebrity-millennium-cruise-ship-covid/

• Like 3

8 hours ago, harkinmr said:

The cruiser on the Celebrity board said the mood on the ship immediately changed when the Captain made the announcement about the positive cases and that they would be conducting contact tracing, and many people started wearing masks again.  Chilling.

That's like putting on a condom afterwards.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, harkinmr said:

Then there will have to be protocols on even fully vaccinated cruises, including masking and social distancing, as well as restricted shore excursions. If it is that easy to become infected as a vaccinated person and infect someone else and we really can’t be sure of their vulnerabilities, then the cruise lines will need to protect all passengers as well as people at ports of call. Do you see where I am going with this? This changes everything. 

Royal is not running fully vaccinated cruises like NCL. Germ-carrying kids are welcome.

The protocols for cruises change constantly. The protocols for Saturday’s cruise changed yesterday.

And amidst the ongoing pandemic, states that have fully reopened run the risk of another spike in cases. 

6 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Royal is not running fully vaccinated cruises like NCL. Germ-carrying kids are welcome.

The protocols for cruises change constantly. The protocols for Saturday’s cruise changed yesterday.

And amidst the ongoing pandemic, states that have fully reopened run the risk of another spike in cases. 

Very true. I guess my point was that with the latest development on this fully vaccinated cruise, it is very likely that protocols overall will be enhanced cruise industry wide. Unless this is demonstrated to be some sort of anomaly, or the two positive patients on Millennium are shown to have falsified their vaccine status, masking and the like may be applied to all passengers, vaccinated or not. 

12 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

I don't believe there are any documented cases of a breakthrough case spreading it to someone else.

First of all from what I am reading these are not even breakthrough cases. Breakthrough would mean contracting the virus and becoming sick. Neither vaccines nor natural immunuty provide a protective wall from a virus entering your body. They help prevent you from becoming sick. These people are not sick from the way I am understanding this, therefore, no breakthrough.

If you test shortly after someone has come in contact with the virus then they may test positive. I don't find this alarming at all. This is why it is no longer recommended to test vaccinated exposed people who are asymptomatic. These people are not considered to have enough of a viral load to be contagious.

More important to this discussion is how does the cruise responds to the positive tests. That will give me a better idea as to whether I'll get back on a ship yet.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Then why have only 0.01% of people who have gotten the vaccine also gotten covid?

Sure, one of the benefits of the vaccine is if you do get it, it'll affect you less. But it's actually done better than that.

BirdTravels: you keep posting the untrue statement that the vaccine does not prevent the disease or some iteration of that. You are wrong . The vaccine prevents close to 98% of the cases for Moderna and Pfizer, J and J much less.

In adolescents the vaccine is 100% effective to date.

Your information is incorrect.

• Like 1

This is one reason I don’t see why unvaccinated people want to jump on a cruise ship right away, unless you think the whole thing is a hoax. If there are cases, you might not get very sick, but if grandma is with you and unvaccinated it could kill her. This is also why the cruise lines don’t want unvaccinated people on their ships.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Catnip said:

Correct.  False positives are very rare, and false negatives are fairly common.

Sory you appear to have it backwards.

In a recent (March 2021) published paper, comparing antigen tests from several makers, the authors found that among symptomatic patients a 17% false positive and 0.1% false negative variances.  Amongst asymptomatic patients, they found a 72% false positive rate, and a 0.2% false negative rate.

In this study, all antigen tests were confirmed with molecular testing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, 3kidsncats said:

Don’t see any pearl clutching — I do see a lot of people aware that the vaccine doesn’t guarantee you won’t catch Covid, and that if you do, you are unlikely to get severely ill — just like they always have.  Why are you trying to spin it in a direction it isn’t going?

All i see is a vaccine that did it's job splendidly.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1